Tallin on your own ....what did you do?

kruzin'

Nope. Self Guided Walking Tour. Use Rick Steve's Scaninavia book for tour guideline.

We have not visited this Baltic area yet, but all who have been there have just raved and loved Tallinn. It's called an unexpected joy!!!! The shopping is rated very highly because the prices, value and quality are excellent. It's compact, very enjoyable and extremely charming and historic. Everything I've heard and read says it's easy to do and wonderful. Great suggestion on the Rick Steve's book tour.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Oh my gosh - was one of our favorite ports. What a surprise this little gem was. We took a cab to the top of the walled old city and wandered around. We saw the parliment building and an old cathedral. Then we went to the right and walked thru 1000 year old walled/cobblestone paths. We went to the Kiek in the Kok Museum (tower at the top which means "peak in the kitchen"). We went into the museum/tower and climbed the narrow stairs to the top. What a view (and quite a climb). Also interesting artifacts on the way up the stairs on the various floors - cannons, torture stretchers, clothing for Doctors of the Black Plague etc etc. The open windows at the top were great photo opportunities. We could see our ship from here. This was really a highlight. Tip: You could not enter this museum without Estonian money......No US $ - no credit cards ---- nothing... You must use their currency only. I had to walk all the way down the hill to an ATM to get the correct currency. It only cost a couple $$ to go into the museum, but their cash only. Be sure to get their currency before going to the top of the hill if you are going to this museum.

After we toured this tower, we walked to town and had lunch at the Ol Hansa Restaurant (very medieviel). Had mushroom soup, bread and wild boar. DH had the local beer. We wandered around the town square before walking back to the ship. Would love to visit here again.

Enjoy you cruise.

Oh my gosh - was one of our favorite ports. What a surprise this little gem was. We took a cab to the top of the walled old city and wandered around. We saw the parliment building and an old cathedral. Then we went to the right and walked thru 1000 year old walled/cobblestone paths. We went to the Kiek in the Kok Museum (tower at the top which means "peak in the kitchen"). We went into the museum/tower and climbed the narrow stairs to the top. What a view (and quite a climb). Also interesting artifacts on the way up the stairs on the various floors - cannons, torture stretchers, clothing for Doctors of the Black Plague etc etc. The open windows at the top were great photo opportunities. We could see our ship from here. This was really a highlight. Tip: You could not enter this museum without Estonian money......No US $ - no credit cards ---- nothing... You must use their currency only. I had to walk all the way down the hill to an ATM to get the correct currency. It only cost a couple $$ to go into the museum, but their cash only. Be sure to get their currency before going to the top of the hill if you are going to this museum.

After we toured this tower, we walked to town and had lunch at the Ol Hansa Restaurant (very medieviel). Had mushroom soup, bread and wild boar. DH had the local beer. We wandered around the town square before walking back to the ship. Would love to visit here again.

Enjoy you cruise.

We got the Celebrity shuttle into town and walked around all the main sites, concentrated in the old town. It was a Sunday and ship's tour groups were not allowed into churches celebrating services. However, as individuals, we had no problem;)

You need to be reasonably mobile as the hills are steep and you'll want to hike up to the top for the views.

• 2 weeks later...

We also did the Rick Steves walking tour. In fact we ran into many others from our ship with their Rick Steves Scandanavia book with them. One other couple was someone we had met from our roll call and we ended up doing the tour together.

We picked up an old copy in mint condition very inexpensively through the Barnes & Noble site. It worked fine for Talinn. For other places, the prices listed for attractions were lower than they really were since the book was a year old.

Why not take the tour through Talinn's visitor center? Not only do you get a great guided walk through the old city, but part of the tour involves going on a bus out of the city to Kadriorg Park and their Song Festival Grounds. If I recall, the whole thing lasts about 2 1/2 hours. If you buy a Talinn Day card, not only is the tour included, but access to many other attractions in the city. I would suggest a visit to the Estonian History Museum (fascinating!) and a climb to the top of St. Olaf's church spire for a splendid view.

What's the best for shopping in Tallinn? Any specific places or what's really unique and great there? I've heard so much on shopping there. Just looking for more specific about locations, shops and specialities. Any unique treasures/secret places?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

What's the best for shopping in Tallinn? Any specific places or what's really unique and great there? I've heard so much on shopping there. Just looking for more specific about locations, shops and specialities. Any unique treasures/secret places?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

I don't even know if there is a hoho bus but I'm guessing you wouldn't need that. You could either take the ship shuttle to town or do the easy walk yourself. It's easy to do tallin alone, but if you want to learn more of the history, we took a tour which I liked a lot with tours@estadventures.ee.

As for shopping tlcohio, there was a store on the main square that had a lot of crystal and some cute painted votive holders and glasses. It was on the right hand side if facing all the restaurants and outdoor seating. I think it might have been one of royal caribeans stores. Anyway, that was my favorite shopping spot, although there were many other good ones around town. There was also a lot of amber, but a bit pricey, throughout town.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Check the "Sweater Wall" (you can find detailed information in Rick Steves' guide). They have fabulous collections of hand-made sweaters, hats, scarves and gloves.

Check the "Sweater Wall" (you can find detailed information in Rick Steves' guide). They have fabulous collections of hand-made sweaters, hats, scarves and gloves.

Is this the name of a store or is it a vendor at a street market? Sounds like a place I would want to visit.

Also, I will be looking for a good caviar spoon and possibly some caviar to bring back to my brother. Would I be better off looking in Tallin or St. P for those items - or is it better off to just buy them here and not worry about carrying it home?

We also followed Rick Steves' walking tour while in Tallinn. It was definately one of our favorite ports. It was very relaxing and such a nice quaint town! We had a wonderful lunch at Olde Hansa and dined outside on wild boar, elk, and bear sausage and wild mushroom soup. I also purchase a really warm scarf and hat at the Sweater Wall. The quality was amazing and the price very good, also there was huge selection.

Is this the name of a store or is it a vendor at a street market? Sounds like a place I would want to visit.

"Sweater Wall" is a street lined up with many individual street vendors. They have excellent collections with reasonable prices. You can bargain too.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Here's me two cents worth: I'm also using Steve Rick's book and John Lawrence's video. Both towns -- the upper and lower -- are fairly small and compact. I'm handicapped and very slow. I will still be walking this one. I will take my cane, my puffer and my book and my lovely wife and put through Tallinn. This will be one of the highlights of our cruise I'm sure.

Da Bear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Okay. Here's me two cents worth: I'm also using Steve Rick's book and John Lawrence's video. Both towns -- the upper and lower -- are fairly small and compact. I'm handicapped and very slow. I will still be walking this one. I will take my cane, my puffer and my book and my lovely wife and put through Tallinn. This will be one of the highlights of our cruise I'm sure.

Da Bear

Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you return. :D

• 4 years later...

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

We looked all over Tallinn for bargains on Amber. In the end we found the best prices at the store at the cruise terminal. They also had a very nice selection. I wouldn't call any of the the prices on Amber bargains, but we did buy some nice earings and necklaces.

Archived