• Married with children
    • Married without children
    • Partnered
    • Never married or partnered
    • Divorced
    • Widowed
    • Master's Degree
    • Ph.D, MD, JD, or DMD

I can only see the results of the poll. There is nothing there to indicate how anyone replied.

As for the assumption that most cruisers have a least a bachelor's degree, I don't know anyone without one that travels. Everyone I know that doesn't have a degree, with the exception of one family, does not travel anywhere they can't drive. If the OP has a similar frame of reference then it is a fair assumption.

As for DH and I, neither of us has a degree but we've managed to rack up quite a bit of frequent flier miles... you should see the two of us uneducated hicks, he pedaling furiously and I , flapping my arms as fast as I can, we haven't fallen from the sky yet! ;)

ps don't tell X or they might not let us in our AC cabin on solstice!

As for DH and I, neither of us has a degree but we've managed to rack up quite a bit of frequent flier miles... you should see the two of us uneducated hicks, he pedaling furiously and I , flapping my arms as fast as I can, we haven't fallen from the sky yet! ;)

ps don't tell X or they might not let us in our AC cabin on solstice!

My post, nor Sky Suite's post, made any scientific assumptions. I stated that I understood why the OP would post this unscientific survey based on her personal experience, which happens to match mine.

Do you need a bachelor's degree to understand what a frame of reference is? :rolleyes:

If people are happy with their life, it shouldn't matter if other passengers on a ship have more education than they do.

The irony is that a few people who were so upset about my erroneous assumption are the same people who frequently post that Celebrity has more upscale passengers than other mass market cruise lines.

These are the kinds of ideas that convince me these polls are truly not in anyones best interests, and why responses by individuals are best left to anonymous data entry only as they only become easily misconstrued.

perhaps a more relevant question when it comes to demographics is not the level of one's educational degree, but how far you've gone with it.

I've seen many people with an MBA who never make it past middle management, and plenty of college grads who are not well read and are socially inept. My DH and I come from a time when talent and intelligence were enough for you to become the CEO of the company, but I understand that times have changed, both my dd have received full academic scholarships to a prestigious private college and they both plan to go on to grad school, and yes, I do understand that one's frame of reference is often limited by the company that one keeps.

1) For Al's gal....I wish I could be of better help. We are going from Miami. When the cruise first came onto the market, the price was so low that it was like a give-away! I don't know anything about the westbound crossing. You can check out the Celebrity website.

2) Let's not get into too much of a huff about one's education or lack thereof! They will pull away the entire thread!

3) I find it very interesting that the majority of the pax are between 51 and 60 years of age. DH and I are over the hill!

4) Equally interesting is that so many are married with children. My question is how many are still married to the first spouse????? I remember, on one cruise, for some uncanny reason, we kept meeting people who had the need to tell us that they were on their second marriage. We felt that we were the only ones still married to eachother!

There are some people who associate with others whose backgrounds are similar or different, whether it be education status, level of education, Division I,II or III schools, Ivy League, mom's who stayed at home, husbands stature in the workplace, total family income, place of domicile, house of worship, number of homes, places of vacation, etc.

Polls on boards like this one provides information that may seem innocuous to the poll taker but can be viewed by many others that place you in a box that has little to do with who you are inside.

I took the poll, but there is no way for anyone to know what MY answers are. right? I dont see any risk here.

There are some people who associate with others whose backgrounds are similar or different, whether it be education status, level of education, Division I,II or III schools, Ivy League, mom's who stayed at home, husbands stature in the workplace, total family income, place of domicile, house of worship, number of homes, places of vacation, etc.

Polls on boards like this one provides information that may seem innocuous to the poll taker but can be viewed by many others that place you in a box that has little to do with who you are inside.

I took the poll, but there is no way for anyone to know what MY answers are. right? I don't see any risk here.

Personally, I thought it was interesting to see the average age. Kind of lets me know where DH and I fall in....Also, If this poll was taken on one of the other cruise lines boards, the average age and family status would be different..

I took the poll, but there is no way for anyone to know what MY answers are. right? I don't see any risk here.

Personally, I thought it was interesting to see the average age. Kind of lets me know where DH and I fall in....Also, If this poll was taken on one of the other cruise lines boards, the average age and family status would be different..

If you only responded to the voting portion of the poll then your responses are anonymous to others and I'd agree there is no risk to be frowned upon for lack of an education level that one might deem worthy of an acceptable station in life.

1) For Al's gal....I wish I could be of better help. We are going from Miami. When the cruise first came onto the market, the price was so low that it was like a give-away! I don't know anything about the westbound crossing. You can check out the Celebrity website.

2) Let's not get into too much of a huff about one's education or lack thereof! They will pull away the entire thread!

3) I find it very interesting that the majority of the pax are between 51 and 60 years of age. DH and I are over the hill!

4) Equally interesting is that so many are married with children. My question is how many are still married to the first spouse????? I remember, on one cruise, for some uncanny reason, we kept meeting people who had the need to tell us that they were on their second marriage. We felt that we were the only ones still married to eachother!

Hi Babylene :)

My husband and I have been married to each other for 34 years and it is our first marriage, as well.

While it was wrong for me to make an assumption about education based on what I have read in travel guides about Celebrity's typical passenger, that appeared to be validated by my personal experience, I am surprised that so many people were upset by it.

If people are happy with their life, it shouldn't matter if other passengers on a ship have more education than they do.

The irony is that a few people who were so upset about my erroneous assumption are the same people who frequently post that Celebrity has more upscale passengers than other mass market cruise lines.

It doesn't matter to me how much education other passengers have when I cruise.In fact such borrfish conversation has never occured.Perhaps it only matters to those so insecure that they worry their masters will not matter to someone they are desperatly trying to impress

I think that for anyone or any organization to make an assumption that in order to cruise on Celebrity you must be educated in an university is a poorly thought out assumption.

There is a huge difference between assuming that IN ORDER to cruise on Celebrity you MUST be educated in a university and assuming that the majority of people that DO cruise on Celebrity HAVE a university education.

Sky Sweet, these polls have been very interesting, and your assumption about education matches my own experience on Celebrity. On 7 cruises to date, ALL of our dining companions have had at least some university, usually a bachelor's degree, and often a post-grad degree. Casual conversations at anywhere between 7 and 14 dinners on any given cruise will usually reveal something about an individual's educational background, even if only from remarks like..."when I was in college, I...".

That does not mean, however, that anyone without a university degree would have been unwelcome or uncomfortable at any of these tables. Our tablemates, without exception, have been interesting, well-travelled, gracious people. Any of my family members, none of whom have gone to university or college, would have been perfectly at home at any one of these dining tables.

A demographic characteristic is simply a descriptor...it is not a value judgement, and I don't think any value judgements were implied by any of Sky Sweet's comments.

I used up all the options available and if I could add more categories, I would have included Bachelor's Degree. The reason why I decided not to include it was because I am assuming that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity, with the exception of those currently in school, have one.

Nothing at all wrong with that. It says the majority, not everybody, and judging from the results of this poll, it looks like probably 51%+ of respondents have a Bachelor's Degree or higher, which not only is fair, but it true then accurate as well.

It's interesting that the thread got hijacked to deride the evils of blanket assumptions & classism (in this case, formal education degree-based).

Richard.

There is a huge difference between assuming that IN ORDER to cruise on Celebrity you MUST be educated in a university and assuming that the majority of people that DO cruise on Celebrity HAVE a university education.

Sky Sweet, these polls have been very interesting, and your assumption about education matches my own experience on Celebrity. On 7 cruises to date, ALL of our dining companions have had at least some university, usually a bachelor's degree, and often a post-grad degree. Casual conversations at anywhere between 7 and 14 dinners on any given cruise will usually reveal something about an individual's educational background, even if only from remarks like..."when I was in college, I...".

That does not mean, however, that anyone without a university degree would have been unwelcome or uncomfortable at any of these tables. Our tablemates, without exception, have been interesting, well-travelled, gracious people. Any of my family members, none of whom have gone to university or college, would have been perfectly at home at any one of these dining tables.

A demographic characteristic is simply a descriptor...it is not a value judgement, and I don't think any value judgements were implied by any of Sky Sweet's comments.

Hi Waterlily :)

Thank you for posting that a demographic characteristic is simply a descriptor, and not a value judgement . That is the point I tried to make, but you conveyed it much better than I did :)

I don't know about all this education talk, but I can tell you...I am beside myself with excitement about our upcoming cruise.

If I hadn't accidentally checked the wrong one, the 30-40 range would be a little longer.:D

I am looking forward to a fabulous cruise with people of all age, and all education levels.

We are all cruise people! That is the most important factor, and the one that I have always found reaches beyond all other barriers. That is the one that happily brings us together in conversation, and enjoyment.

Once you are on that ship, nothing else matters.

You will always find someone richer than you, someone poorer than you. Someone tanner than you, and someone whiter than you. Someone nicer than you, someone meaner than you. Someone who has cruise more times, someone who has cruised less. Etc...

We seem to find ourselves comfortably, and happily in the middle of it all. If we were all just alike...imagine how boring all the conversations would be.

Happy Cruising Everyone! See ya on board:D

A quick look at data on the Internet reveals that about 9% of the general population has a masters degree and 3% an advanced degree (PhD, etc.). This poll shows about three times that level which proves that these groups cruise on Celebrity in those numbers or they have greater access to the Internet and CC polls. If we assume (a dangerous thing to do as this poll has proven) that the economically disadvantage do no cruise on Celebrity or any other cruise line in statistically significant numbers, then the potential portion of the general cruising population with masters/etc. will be larger than in the general population as a whole. My assertion, based on this logic, is that Celebrity probably has about the same percentage of this group as HAL and Princess or Royal Caribbean for that matter. We can only guess based on our limited knowledge but I'm sure RCI and Carnival Corporation know within a percentage point or two.

can be a deciding factor for behavior.

I know plenty of people who have some college and others who have their Phd.s.......

Forgive me for saying this but I find the more interesting ones the ones who have had more life experience and less education.....IMHO.

A few of my aquaintances in finance or had Phd's are 'dumb as doornails" as far as I'm concerned once they step out of their comfort zone...but they still have other interesting traits...The ones who only have a HS education or some college are the ones that have been working and out on the streets learning to survive and be quick on their feet..THey are really interesting.

However, If I gave 5 from each group a free cruise...I would have to think the amount that adheared to the codes would be about the same from each group.

I can see my 'educated' friends ( phds ) either saying its proper to dress correctly and follow tradition as well as a few saying " these jeans cost me $500.00 and I'm wearing them to formal night. On the flip side Ican see some of my friends who have not achieved a higher education following the dress codes because it would be a chance for them to dress up and they have learned that SOME social etiquette is not painful, or not following the rules simply because they were defiant or just didn't have the clothing and couldn't afford it.

But I think those with a good solid background and were brought up with things that were important and not just bribed by material objects..would honor the rules and codes more than those who were spoiled and not taught to solve problems on their own.

Dave:eek:

We've been on 30+ cruises on RCI, Cunard, HAL, NCL and the Hurtigruten along with a land tour to China and a Danube River cruise.

We have been at 6 or 8 or 10 top tables on all of our large ship cruises.

Not once has the subject of anyone's education level come up. It will be interesting to see if it does on our first Celebrity cruise next week since it seems to be a question many of the posters here ask of their tablemates.

Makes me wonder what the difference is between Celebrity PAX and other lines PAX.

FYI - The above was more fun than starting a poll asking if you asked your tablemates education level the first or second night so you know what level to keep your conversation.

And, no, the premise didn't upset me. I just thought it was humorous.

No college degree. Some college and a lot of night courses on subjects that interested me. Psychology, philosophy, business and computers.

Plus reading everything I could from the time I knew what a book was.

We've been on 30+ cruises on RCI, Cunard, HAL, NCL and the Hurtigruten along with a land tour to China and a Danube River cruise.

We have been at 6 or 8 or 10 top tables on all of our large ship cruises.

Not once has the subject of anyone's education level come up. It will be interesting to see if it does on our first Celebrity cruise next week since it seems to be a question many of the posters here ask of their tablemates.

Makes me wonder what the difference is between Celebrity PAX and other lines PAX.

FYI - The above was more fun than starting a poll asking if you asked your tablemates education level the first or second night so you know what level to keep your conversation.

And, no, the premise didn't upset me. I just thought it was humorous.

No college degree. Some college and a lot of night courses on subjects that interested me. Psychology, philosophy, business and computers.

Plus reading everything I could from the time I knew what a book was.

Like I said the subject has never been brought up on any of my cruises.I guess our tables have had more interesting things to talk about

I would just like to reiterate that my only reason for doing this poll was because I thought it might be fun to see if the image of the typical Celebrity Cruiser that is portrayed in various travel guides bears any resemblance to the Celebrity Cruisers who participate in cruise critc.

I do not judge people by how many advanced degrees they hold.

I also do not judge people by how they dress.

However, I will admit that I do judge other passengers on a cruise by their demeanor, and have a problem with people who feel that their personal needs supercede those of anyone else on a ship.

I don't give a rat's patoot about the education levels of people I might be seated with in the diningroom. I'd much rather hear about their "proceedures", actually.

All the more reason I like to have a table for 2!!! (DH is ALREADY pretty impressed with my demographics.:D )

I don't give a rat's patoot about the education levels of people I might be seated with in the diningroom. I'd much rather hear about their "proceedures", actually.

All the more reason I like to have a table for 2!!! (DH is ALREADY pretty impressed with my demographics.:D )

Usha, I hope we get to cruise together some day:D I like you!;)

My brother has his PHD in Chemistry. There are certain things I have learned to avoid in conversation with him. Like..."I bet you can't name the entire periodic table of elements.":rolleyes: 30 minutes later...ok, so you can...LOL! He's NOT a snob in any way, but his discussions are way beyond my grasp. He is definately a geek, but I love him. We stick to things we both know.

Archived