• Married with children
    • Married without children
    • Partnered
    • Never married or partnered
    • Divorced
    • Widowed
    • Master's Degree
    • Ph.D, MD, JD, or DMD

I think polls can be great fun, but sometimes they are like giving out your bank account number or SS# for far to many to see....

How on earth is giving out your age, marital status, and education level like giving out very personal information??

Yes, and no section for those of us with degrees less than Masters. Why is that?:confused:

Hi Spearmint :)

I used up all the options available and if I could add more categories, I would have included Bachelor's Degree. The reason why I decided not to include it was because I am assuming that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity, with the exception of those currently in school, have one.

I used up all the options available and if I could add more categories, I would have included Bachelor's Degree. The reason why I decided not to include it was because I am assuming that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity, with the exception of those currently in school, have one.

You know what they say about assuming...... but hey, thanks for the poll. Can I put down married, divorce, and widowed? I have been all three....currently married.

I'm curious...what made you assume that the majority of people who cruised Celebrity, have a Bachelor's Degree?

I think polls can be great fun, but sometimes they are like giving out your bank account number or SS# for far to many to see....

I can only see the results of the poll. There is nothing there to indicate how anyone replied.

As for the assumption that most cruisers have a least a bachelor's degree, I don't know anyone without one that travels. Everyone I know that doesn't have a degree, with the exception of one family, does not travel anywhere they can't drive. If the OP has a similar frame of reference then it is a fair assumption.

Yes, and no section for those of us with degrees less than Masters. Why is that?:confused:

I wondered that as well Bill. I had some college but oh no, did

not finish....:rolleyes: I guess most of my education has come from

the "School of Hard Knocks".

1) What is a JD and what is a DMD?

2) Answer to DMK....Sky Sweet is our poll maven. She is amazing!

3) I would like to know how age and level of education can lead to "too much information".

4) I never had the impression that fellow cruisers had "at least a bachelor's degree". My experience is that most are working-middle class. (Maybe I choose the wrong itineraries!) On the flip side, I know many business people, not formally educated, who are self-made (sounds like our parents' generation, eh?). They still exist.

For what it is worth, I think the polls are fun! If nothing else, they stimulate conversation!!!!

Interesting. We do not travel where we cannot drive, and we cruise. Hmmmm, what kind of rocket scientist would this be?

Nobody knows me on this board, but I will share my answer with my husband, who was an aerospace engineer. No masters, just 2 BS degrees. I wonder if that would count towards 1 MS?

In any event, I did not answer the survey.:cool:

I can only see the results of the poll. There is nothing there to indicate how anyone replied.

As for the assumption that most cruisers have a least a bachelor's degree, I don't know anyone without one that travels. Everyone I know that doesn't have a degree, with the exception of one family, does not travel anywhere they can't drive. If the OP has a similar frame of reference then it is a fair assumption.

You know what people say about assuming things......

I travel as often as I am able and have never received a degree.

I must be in the group of uneducated travelers?:eek:

A few posters have asked what made me assume that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity are college graduates.

In making that assumption, I considered the descriptions that several travel guides give for Celebrity's typical passenger, our friends/relatives who cruise Celebrity, various posts I have read on cruise critic, and people we have met during our Celebrity Cruises.

Hi Lois - I'm with you. Never formally completed college, but took a lot of night school on various subjects. Plus read a lot.

Been on 30+ cruises all over the world; land tour to China, Danube river cruise and the Hurtigruten to Norway. Plus traveling all over the United States.

1) What is a JD and what is a DMD?

2) Answer to DMK....Sky Sweet is our poll maven. She is amazing!

3) I would like to know how age and level of education can lead to "too much information".

4) I never had the impression that fellow cruisers had "at least a bachelor's degree". My experience is that most are working-middle class. (Maybe I choose the wrong itineraries!) On the flip side, I know many business people, not formally educated, who are self-made (sounds like our parents' generation, eh?). They still exist.

For what it is worth, I think the polls are fun! If nothing else, they stimulate conversation!!!!

Hi Babylene :)

JD stands for Juris Doctor, which is the degree people get when they graduate from law school in the United States. Years ago they got an LLB instead.

DMD stands for Doctor of Medical Dentistry, which is the degree people get when they graduate from dental school in the United States.

Hi Lois - I'm with you. Never formally completed college, but took a lot of night school on various subjects. Plus read a lot.

Been on 30+ cruises all over the world; land tour to China, Danube river cruise and the Hurtigruten to Norway. Plus traveling all over the United States.

Hi Paul:) good to see you.

There are some people who associate with others whose backgrounds are similar or different, whether it be education status, level of education, Division I,II or III schools, Ivy League, mom's who stayed at home, husbands stature in the workplace, total family income, place of domicile, house of worship, number of homes, places of vacation, etc.

Polls on boards like this one provides information that may seem innocuous to the poll taker but can be viewed by many others that place you in a box that has little to do with who you are inside.

I for one have travelled extensively, and never bothered to get a Bachelor's Degree. Like Paul above, I have been on land tours, recently completed a Danube cruise through the Balkans, and did the Hurtigruten some years ago, when it was branded Norwegian Coastal Voyages.

Many of us have some college, but no degree.

There are some people who associate with others whose backgrounds are similar or different, whether it be education status, level of education, Division I,II or III schools, Ivy League, mom's who stayed at home, husbands stature in the workplace, total family income, place of domicile, house of worship, number of homes, places of vacation, etc.

Polls on boards like this one provides information that may seem innocuous to the poll taker but can be viewed by many others that place you in a box that has little to do with who you are inside.

I think the reason why some people have a tendency to associate with others of similar background is because that is who they have the most contact with or forged close relationships with at an early stage in life.

Many people form life long friendships with their college fraternity brothers because they did everything together when they were in college, and became very close in the process.

Stay at home moms have a tendency to meet other stay at home moms while trying to do what is best for their children.

Most people who are in the work force spend so much time with their co-workers that they become friendly with others in the same field.

A significant number of my best friends are bridge players because I love the game so much that I spend half my life playing it.

Archived