• Married with children
    • Married without children
    • Partnered
    • Never married or partnered
    • Divorced
    • Widowed
    • Master's Degree
    • Ph.D, MD, JD, or DMD

Maybe an erroneos one, but you are not that far off base I think. What surprised me the first time we went on Celebrity, after having been on 1 now defunct cruise line, and Carnival, was the number of professionals and business owners compared to the others. Genralizing is bad though, because many people become extremely successful without advanced degrees. I am a mortgage broker, and one thing I know about my clients, is their education level, and their income. It amazes me how many of them do extremely well in the financial field and in IT/Tech fields, as well as various others, without advanced degrees. They do all graduate college however.

Muushka, I have a son with 2 B.Sc. degrees. I thought he was the only one!

Karyn & Sky, thanks for the explanations. I have never heard of them.

Sky, I am sorry to say that your data is waaaayyyyy offf!!!!

First, your friends and relatives, I am sure, are not too great in number! No matter how many you have!!!!!

My cruising friends and relatives are not particularly enamoured with Celebrity. Whether they are business people or professionals, they favour Princess, Royal Carib, Norwegian, and Oceania. Most of them are not in favour of either formal nights or traditional seating. Only a few of us opt for inside cabins. Others wouldn't even consider it.

There are so many pax on each ship, it is a very mixed bag. I guess that's what makes it so interesting. You meet people you would never meet in "real life"!

But, I don't want to discourage you from thinking up new polls! Maybe this should have been 2 separate polls, one for married, single, etc. and another for levels of education so that you could include the bachelor's and partials.

Have fun!

Babylene,

What did you decide about Northern Europe for 2008????

I guess most of my education has come from

the "School of Hard Knocks".

Hi, Lois,

That is THE BEST diploma one can ever get !!! Bar none !!

The beauty of the '' U of H K '' is that there is a campus in every house in every hamlet around. No reason to skip school.

Guess who is the Dean of your local University of HardKnock faculty is ....??

Where does that fit in this poll ?? Right at the very bottom

Cheers

:D

Does degree not from US university count?;)

Didn't have time to translate my diploma yet.:D

Hi Tatka :)

A degree from a Russian University is like getting three degrees from the US because it is much harder to get one :)

One of our neighbors, who was educated in Russia, told me that when she was in high school students were only allowed to apply to one university and if they weren't accepted they had to wait another year to reapply.

Hi Tatka :)

A degree from a Russian University is like getting three degrees from the US because it is much harder to get one :)

One of our neighbors, who was educated in Russia, told me that when she was in high school students were only allowed to apply to one university and if they weren't accepted they had to wait another year to reapply.

:)

She is right. We could apply only to one university/college, because there were mandatory 3-4 entrance exams (oral and written) in all colleges at the same time. If you didn't pass exams or didn't have high enough scores you had to wait for the next year. Also we had to apply to specific department as opposed to general undergraduate education with some majors.

Huge plus was that education was free, so you could devote all your time to study. :)

Hi Spearmint :)

I used up all the options available and if I could add more categories, I would have included Bachelor's Degree. The reason why I decided not to include it was because I am assuming that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity, with the exception of those currently in school, have one.

Why would you assume that?.We Tech school.Milatary Vets don't just sail Carnival

What makes you all think that those of us with advanced degrees didn't also attend the School of Hard Knocks? :rolleyes:

I never said others didn't attend the same school, though that

school was not listed.

I didn't assume anything. I interpreted the poll a certain way.

Did I misinterpret the poll? Could be...then again, interpretation

would have been at the writer's discretion and how they meant

something. If the reader didn't feel the same way? The poll only

offered certain choices.

I didn't vote.

Babylene,

What did you decide about Northern Europe for 2008????

We cancelled this cruise quite a while ago. We have done the fjords and really wanted to do Flam and the Norway in a Nutshell day. We were not that interested in the Arctic.

So, we decided to do a land trip. Then the Galaxy transatlantic came up at a price that I just couldn't pass up. (What does that tell you about my demographic????) So that is where we stand.

Hope you have a wonderful time and I will watch out for your reviews!

Of the people who responded to this poll so far...

37% have a Master's Degree, Ph.D, MD, DMD, or JD.

80% are married or partnered

87% are between the ages of 41 and 70

This is similar to how the typical Celebrity passenger is described by various travel guides.

Sky Sweet: Thanks for doing the Poll. You certainly created some interesting reaction which you probably never intended. I think that for anyone or any organization to make an assumption that in order to cruise on Celebrity you must be educated in an university is a poorly thought out assumption. I know you only used what was an opinion given by 3rd parties but one should ask how did they arrive at these conclusions. My wife & I are on our 4th cruise-1st with Celebrity, other 3 with RCI. I have a 3 yr diploma from a Canadian Community College & my wife is an RN. The ability to travel in many cases does not have anything to do with education level. This comment reminds me of a question in a listening skills quiz" People who are highly educated listen better" and the answer is false. Once again thanks for the poll since it is interesting to look at the demographics of people who travel.

OK It was just a poll. It was not meant to offend anyone. I do not have any degree, I voted. Life is hard enough, do not take things so serious. There is only so much space for options. I enjoyed reading the results.

OK It was just a poll. It was not meant to offend anyone. I do not have any degree, I voted. Life is hard enough, do not take things so serious. There is only so much space for options. I enjoyed reading the results.

Hi Spearmint :)

I used up all the options available and if I could add more categories, I would have included Bachelor's Degree. The reason why I decided not to include it was because I am assuming that the majority of people who cruise on Celebrity, with the exception of those currently in school, have one.

How presumptuous!:mad:

I can only see the results of the poll. There is nothing there to indicate how anyone replied.

As for the assumption that most cruisers have a least a bachelor's degree, I don't know anyone without one that travels. Everyone I know that doesn't have a degree, with the exception of one family, does not travel anywhere they can't drive. If the OP has a similar frame of reference then it is a fair assumption.

Let me see if I understand....you need a bachelor's degree in order to fly???????

Surely you jest!!!:rolleyes:

While it was wrong for me to make an assumption about education based on what I have read in travel guides about Celebrity's typical passenger, that appeared to be validated by my personal experience, I am surprised that so many people were upset by it.

If people are happy with their life, it shouldn't matter if other passengers on a ship have more education than they do.

The irony is that a few people who were so upset about my erroneous assumption are the same people who frequently post that Celebrity has more upscale passengers than other mass market cruise lines.

Archived