Good beach/water shoes for a diabetic?

cb at sea

What has shoes got to do with being a diabetic? Confused in the UK!

LOL ^_^

Diabetics can have some real problems with their feet (poor circulation in legs/feet and sometimes hands).

If they get a sore (from a blister from an ill fitting shoe) it can get very bad. Sometimes takes a long time to heal (sometimes doesn't heal :( )

So it's a real good idea to make sure that they have a good pair of shoes.

What has shoes got to do with being a diabetic? Confused in the UK!

diabetes can have many complications, but it's pretty standard to have slower healing time for any cut or surgical incision, etc. Also, there can be lessened feeling in the extremities (neuropathy, I think?), so a diabetic might not know that he's cut his foot on a shell. Given an already compromised immune system, an untreated injury can be devastating. Sometimes diabetic have to have limbs amputated.

My husband NEVER goes barefoot because of his diabetes. It's easier to prevent an injury than to deal with treating it.

All that said... I hate the shoes with the rubber soles and mesh top because they trap sand in the shoe. I like the cheapo Speedo flip flops that Target sells cheap - the sole is thick enuf to be protective, they are cheap, and sand does not linger on it so less irritation. edited to add - not a between the toes flip flop, but an over the toe dealy that is adjustable.

Crocs would be a good option if the sand flows right thru?

diabetes can have many complications, but it's pretty standard to have slower healing time for any cut or surgical incision, etc. Also, there can be lessened feeling in the extremities (neuropathy, I think?), so a diabetic might not know that he's cut his foot on a shell. Given an already compromised immune system, an untreated injury can be devastating. Sometimes diabetic have to have limbs amputated.

My husband NEVER goes barefoot because of his diabetes. It's easier to prevent an injury than to deal with treating it.

All that said... I hate the shoes with the rubber soles and mesh top because they trap sand in the shoe. I like the cheapo Speedo flip flops that Target sells cheap - the sole is thick enuf to be protective, they are cheap, and sand does not linger on it so less irritation. edited to add - not a between the toes flip flop, but an over the toe dealy that is adjustable.

Crocs would be a good option if the sand flows right thru?

Thanks ^_^

I'm a nurse so you can understand that I've seen first hand what untreated wounds do to a diabetic.

I am 'fanatical' about my DHs shoes and stuff.

Though I never even thought about sand being traped under the mesh :eek:

Thanks for all the great info ^_^

I am a diabetic with "flat feet". Crocs made my feet ache and rubbed. I would have the person try them out for several wearings (keeping in mind that in hot weather feet swell). They didn't work out for me. I like the

soft fabric ones that I got in Kmart better. However, they tend to run

"small" so I got a larger size.

I am a diabetic with "flat feet". Crocs made my feet ache and rubbed. I would have the person try them out for several wearings (keeping in mind that in hot weather feet swell). They didn't work out for me. I like the

soft fabric ones that I got in Kmart better. However, they tend to run

"small" so I got a larger size.

I'll echo the previous posters on the fact that diabetics are slow to heal (especially lower limb trauma) and often have decreased sensation. I deal with diabetics who have had limb amputation on a daily basis, so I may be overly paranoid. I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as medical advice.

You want to keep the foot clean and dry and avoid rubbing. I'd avoid sandles, cros, mocs, etc. I'd get a aquabooty (kind of like what divers wear) type of shoe that comes up over the ankle to avoid sand making its way into the shoe. Make sure they fit comfortably and that there are no giant seams on the inside (e.g.-the zipper is exposed on the inside, the two halves are joined with big overlaps, etc.) This will do the best job of keeping sand out. Make sure that the sole is thick enough to protect from shells, glass etc. If he intends to go in the water, get two pairs. You want to take off the wet pair if you're not in the water, clean the foot (baby wipe or freshwater and a towel), dry the foot, and put on the dry pair of aquashoes. If you're walking around town a great deal after, make sure he slips into an appropriate pair of shoes. I would still consult your diabetic doctor regarding this issue and he may have specific advice on shoewear, not just for the vacation, but for everyday wear. Get a good pair of professionally fitted shoes (not the mall store) with a proper inlay under your doctor's guidance. Get the shoes BEFORE the problem starts.

Visual inspection daily (or more often) is important. If he can't see the bottom of his feet, get him a mirror on a stick. Yes, all this is a pain, but it's cheap and quick insruance against bigger issues. Obviously, your husband's exact needs can only be determined by someone familiar with his history. How much protection and care you need to take is dependent on how severe the diabetes is and how much it has affected his circulation, sensation, etc.

As if I haven't ranted enough, if this is his first cruise since be diagnosed with diabetes? Make sure he's comfortable with managing insulin (if he is on it) considering that his food intake will be different, as will his activity levels. If he's controlling it with just food choices, good luck and be encouraging.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

I'll echo the previous posters on the fact that diabetics are slow to heal (especially lower limb trauma) and often have decreased sensation. I deal with diabetics who have had limb amputation on a daily basis, so I may be overly paranoid. I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as medical advice.

You want to keep the foot clean and dry and avoid rubbing. I'd avoid sandles, cros, mocs, etc. I'd get a aquabooty (kind of like what divers wear) type of shoe that comes up over the ankle to avoid sand making its way into the shoe. Make sure they fit comfortably and that there are no giant seams on the inside (e.g.-the zipper is exposed on the inside, the two halves are joined with big overlaps, etc.) This will do the best job of keeping sand out. Make sure that the sole is thick enough to protect from shells, glass etc. If he intends to go in the water, get two pairs. You want to take off the wet pair if you're not in the water, clean the foot (baby wipe or freshwater and a towel), dry the foot, and put on the dry pair of aquashoes. If you're walking around town a great deal after, make sure he slips into an appropriate pair of shoes. I would still consult your diabetic doctor regarding this issue and he may have specific advice on shoewear, not just for the vacation, but for everyday wear. Get a good pair of professionally fitted shoes (not the mall store) with a proper inlay under your doctor's guidance. Get the shoes BEFORE the problem starts.

Visual inspection daily (or more often) is important. If he can't see the bottom of his feet, get him a mirror on a stick. Yes, all this is a pain, but it's cheap and quick insruance against bigger issues. Obviously, your husband's exact needs can only be determined by someone familiar with his history. How much protection and care you need to take is dependent on how severe the diabetes is and how much it has affected his circulation, sensation, etc.

As if I haven't ranted enough, if this is his first cruise since be diagnosed with diabetes? Make sure he's comfortable with managing insulin (if he is on it) considering that his food intake will be different, as will his activity levels. If he's controlling it with just food choices, good luck and be encouraging.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

Thanks for the info ^_^

I'm a nurse so I do watch him like a hawk :D

He got off the insulin in just months (I am SO PROUD of him for that!!!)

by watching is food intake and doing lite exercise (he's lost almost 80ibs!).

He is very good at watching his food intake and carbs (even gets after me if I'm being bad :o ).

I love the idea of 2 shoes (wet and dry)!

I've ordered him some land's End Beach shoes (the type Broadwaygirl suggested were the type his Endo liked too ^_^). And I will order another pair right away!

Thanks to everyone for your wanderful help!!!

P.S. Read through the Testimonials to see if there are any similar stories to your husband. Many diabetics find relief from Crocs...even the regular kind. The special CrocsRX (Diabetic) Crocs Cloud and Silver Cloud are especially made for diabetics. The silver cloud model has silver to kill bacteria and fungi to prevent infections.

http://www.crocs.com/community/testimonials/

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add that sand, beach heat, etc. can be torture for a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy.

I’d appreciate any ideas on water shoes that can protect from sand getting inside the shoe.

Going over suggestions in this thread again — some great ideas.

LOL ^_^

Diabetics can have some real problems with their feet (poor circulation in legs/feet and sometimes hands).

If they get a sore (from a blister from an ill fitting shoe) it can get very bad. Sometimes takes a long time to heal (sometimes doesn't heal :( )

So it's a real good idea to make sure that they have a good pair of shoes.

My dad is diabetic, his dad was a diabetic, and I am prediabetic.

My dad and I have regular water shoes from Walmart for $5.

9873e4bf-71f7-4865-aedb-5f941a36cdcf_1.ac61a36d11f9adfd89946fe6ab797377.jpeg?odnWidth=282&odnHeight=376&odnBg=ffffff

36278d01-672d-4625-bb39-5ac5f20e6c62_1.5c42df6c8b95353d8f58fa52066b88f8.jpeg?odnWidth=282&odnHeight=376&odnBg=ffffff

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add that sand, beach heat, etc. can be torture for a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy.

I’d appreciate any ideas on water shoes that can protect from sand getting inside the shoe.

Going over suggestions in this thread again — some great ideas.

My diabetic husband has a pair of Speedo water shoes he bought at Costco that work very well for him.

They are more supportive than those cheap ones from Wal-mart, and the lining doesn't bunch up and slip.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwmdNowNHWr3wri27KYeQqdm_5hiBKK9FPJB_YBr0FR2m4arZa

so, nobody became diabetic in 10 years and those with diabetes cruising with RC can't possibly be interested in water shoes?

Very clever :rolleyes::rolleyes: - so you'd suggest opening up the board to any and every subject?

Surely 'Ask a Question' ' Floataway Lounge' 'Fashion' boards would be more relevant. There was I thinking this board was about Royal Caribbean

My dad is diabetic, his dad was a diabetic, and I am prediabetic.

My dad and I have regular water shoes from Walmart for $5.

Thanks for sharing. I've tried the Walmart water shoes in the past and sand managed to get in, which is very painful because of the neuropathy. We went with the Lands End water shoes recommended uptopic. Hope I didn't spend a ton of money more than I should have :-)