Kids Cruise Free

docmsf

It really doesn't. The promotion allows for only one child to stay in a suite with his/her parents and there really aren't that many only children nowadays. Also, while there will most definitely be children, the programs are very good for them and I highly doubt you will have the feeling of your cruise being interfered with.

My kids have been in a number of the Regent programs, so I have a good sense of them, how they are run and how they keep the kids engaged.

Even with the promotion and the kids program I am confident you will not find there to be many children; nothing like on the more mass market lines.

Our last time on Voyager in the Caribbean, there were quite a number of kids (it was around Hannukah, just before Christmas and the schools were out.)

They really did not interfere with our enjoyment at all. The teenagers skulked around looking surly at times, but all were well-behaved and quite nice kids. They didn't even mind sharing the pool and hot tub with us old fogeys.

we'll be on a kids sail free cruise March 24 - with our two teens - i called Regent to find out the number of kids booked and was informed 36 - at that point the cruise was almost sold out - so out of 700 passengers, not a whole lot of kids -

The kids free' thing can be difficult to book also. We have tried to book one on Regent (2 adults 1 child) and they have no suites available on 3 different cruises to accommodate 3 people! They had several for 2 people, but then someone stays home and the 'kid' isn't free anymore either.

As stated above, the child sails free program only applies to a child traveling as the 3rd person in a suite that allows 3 people. There aren't that many suites that allow 3 in them, so don't worry.

Wendy, my teenaged son is good at skulking and being surly--there were a whole group of teenagers on the Nice-Dover cruise last year who found each other and skulked around a bit at night and on sea days, but they always were well-behaved.

First, there are Alaska cruises in May, early June (not coinciding with Memorial Day) and September will have fewer children than mid-summer.

We have been on cruises with some wonderful children. On the other hand, we have had children rolling down the isle of the theater while a concert pianist was performing (other passengers were walking out on the performance -- only when Regent staff were asked to correct the situation, was anything done). It isn't the child(ren) at fault -- it is the parents. Whether there are 5 or 50 children on board -- it takes only one parent to ruin the experience for many.

Bottom line for me -- travel when school is in session. JMO

I have been on several cruises where children were present and there has never been a problem. TC2 - Sorry to hear that they disturbed your piano performance but in my opinion, I have been just as annoyed with adults disturbing a show. Most of the kids on the cruise are really well behaved, eat early, etc. I wouldn't let that influence my decision.

I too have a teen who has sailed many times with us on Regent. He has always participated in the youth programs, always been happy and occupied. Regent does a great job keeping the kids entertained and contained. We have never seen bad or loud behavior from any children on a Regent cruise. However, some of the adults . . . . . . . . need to learn a few manners.

Our problem was not with the kids as much as it was with the parents who let their kids act badly. This was last March on the Mariner. People scattered when this family was nearby..

Yes -- you are soooooooo right. I never blame the children -- it's the parents that are are clueless. While I have not witnessed adults acting in a way to disturb others, it seems that many parents are blind to the behavior of their children. (Note: My daughter is far from perfect -- however, she knew better than to run around any public place -- instead, she made her point by lying down in a booth and sleeping. . . at least she did not upset anyone except us!). Wish the term "inside voice" would become part of many parent's vocabulary.

Our problem was not with the kids as much as it was with the parents who let their kids act badly. This was last March on the Mariner. People scattered when this family was nearby..

Bill, if you remember, it was also the grandparents that were at fault. The kids were under 7, and just as ill-mannered as you could imagine. And that was not an advertised "children sail free" cruise. Hope you have a quiet one in April.

Esther

You can blame the parents. You can blame the grandparents. The net result is still unruly kids who intrude on your cruise.

The net result actually is there are more unruly parents that have ruined cruises on the top lines than children. Children are easier to pick on and apply the "don't step under my foot again!" arguments. Next time I get elbowed in a line by an adult or watch a waiter being yelled at I will be sure to blame the offender's kids.

The real issue is whether a kid's sail free program causes more issues for those not interested in children. The answer is, as most of these posts state: NO. It is no different than going on a cruise and having "that" man offending you or being drunk at the bar or cutting in line or talking during the show, etc. The chances of incidents are no more nor less.

There was a group of 4 very unruly, loud, and ill-mannered adult women on our PG cruise. They were drunk most of the time (not blaming Regent's all-inclusive drink policy here--I suspect they would have been the same even without it). Even my teenaged son asked why those women were acting so badly.

But I didn't let it ruin my vacation. I just tried to avoid them.

I am reminded of what a B&B host in Britain said to his children, when they came charging into the breakfast room where my traveling companion and I were: "These people paid a lot of money to come here to get away from people like you. So leave them alone."

They were, in fact, delightful children. However, British Airways wouldn't let us bring them home in our luggage, anxious as our host was to assist us in doing so....

Archived