"Must do" Foods on Oceania

CruiseLiz

I agree

I wish they served it more often

Maybe on a bun for lunch ...OMG I am drooling :eek:

Lyn

They should just add schnitzel to the Waves menu. :D:D:D

I was really excited about trying the baby lamb chops for breakfast, but was rather disappointed in them. Very bland. I do love the lamb they serve in the DR and in the Polo Grill. They don't quibble about giving me lamb with my lobster for Surf n Turf in the PG, either.

I am hoping to be on the Nautica in August... just a couple of foodie questions.

The food was so good on Azamara, does it compare?

We cruised on Azamara last year and found the found disappointing. We've never been disappointed on Oceania.

There is an Italian chocolate cake (that's the name Oeiania gives it) that is served only at afternoon tea and only once or twice during a cruise that's the best chocolate dessert I've ever had, and I always order chocolate desserts! I hope you all get lucky and find it!

I am hoping to be on the Nautica in August... just a couple of foodie questions.

The food was so good on Azamara, does it compare?

We cruised on Azamara last year and found the food disappointing. We've never been disappointed on Oceania.

There is an Italian chocolate cake (that's the name Oceania gives it) that is served only at afternoon tea and only once or twice during a cruise that's the best chocolate dessert I've ever had, and I always order chocolate desserts! I hope you all get lucky and find it!

• 3 weeks later...
Where are the chocolate croissants? :)

Just back from my Baltic cruise on Marina (and about four scrumptious Marina chocolate croissants later) and see that this question has been answered.

However, Marina now has sticky buns available every morning right across from the breakfast grill (only occassionally available when I sailed on Nautica and Regatta), so I switched my morning carbs to the fabulous sticky buns, deserting the pan chocolat so more for everyone else!:D

One of my favorite things about cruising is enjoying the cuisine. Since my first Oceania cruise is coming up in two months, I was wondering...

For those who have cruised Oceania before, what are your favorite foods onboard? What dishes are "must do's" to you?

Thanks in advance for all of your yummy answers. ;)

Cassis sorbet (with chocolate syrup)! :D

I especially love the cinnamon ice cream and the cocoa sorbet!! Those are just two of my favorites. If I started making a list, it would run clear to the next page. But I will say that everything is more than likely the most wonderful tasting food you have ever eaten. The chefs are fantastic and the pastry chef on any of the ships, is pure genius. The tea dansant is by far a sheer spectacular event. Everything is so pretty that you don't want to eat it!! Not! You don't know what to try first. Hope you are on a sailing that has one of these festive occasions.

Bobi

This won't be applicable to most cruises, but if it affects you, don't miss the

opportunity to take advantage of it.

If you get Dave Peterson as your cruise director, on his daily broadcast towards

the end of the cruise (during the last three days or so), he will announce that he

will prepare the milk shakes for one hour around noontime that day. It won't

appear in Currents, so you've got to catch it on his TV broadcast.

His milk shakes are extremely rich and delicious (not to say extra fattening). It's

worth skipping a meal to be able to afford it.

Les

The tea dansant is like a feeding trough. Never saw such abysmal behavior in my life. You'd think these people had been starving for weeks as opposed to eating glorious food 3 or more times daily. We went twice and left in disgust. Never again.

Mo

Just reading this thread brought back pleasant memories of the excellent cuisine on our Oceania cruise last summer. Oceania did not disappoint us.

In addition to all the wonderful items mentioned previously, I recall that the ethnic dishes, in particular those with an Indonesian flair, were some of the most memorable to me. Since the staff is international and the ship has to feed them as well, I liked seeing some of the more unusual dishes that reflected the backgrounds of the staff.

:)

Just reading this thread brought back pleasant memories of the excellent cuisine on our Oceania cruise last summer. Oceania did not disappoint us.

In addition to all the wonderful items mentioned previously, I recall that the ethnic dishes, in particular those with an Indonesian flair, were some of the most memorable to me. Since the staff is international and the ship has to feed them as well, I liked seeing some of the more unusual dishes that reflected the backgrounds of the staff.

:)

The only ethnic food that I found disapointing was the Chinese food (when available).

Those of us that are lucky enough to live in cities with large Chinese populations (like Bay Area, Vancouver, Toronto, NYC and others) are spoiled for choices and quality of Chinese food. Once this was discovered, I tended to avoid them as they would usually disappoint.

No worries, there are always plenty of good alternatives :) Excellent food is one of the hallmarks of Oceania.

I vote for the liver also. Served with a raspberry reduction. Best I have ever eaten. I think I had it on the Regatta also. But I always try to look a the dining room menu before deciding to make a reservation at Polo or Toscana. If the dining room has liver, then I want to be there!!

Bobi

My husband loves liver and we have never seen it on the menu. Obviously we are not looking hard enough.

If you notice any type of sweetbreads on the menu, ask about liver and the chef will rustle some up for you. ;)

On our last Marina cruise, Jacques had sweetbreads on their "special" menu, almost every night. It was heaven.

If you notice any type of sweetbreads on the menu, ask about liver and the chef will rustle some up for you. ;)

On our last Marina cruise, Jacques had sweetbreads on their "special" menu, almost every night. It was heaven.

We had them hot, we had them cold and many many times. So much for the lower cholestrol.;)

I know this is not for everyone but we recently returned from a Nautica cruise and the GDR served grilled milk feed baby veal liver. The best liver I ever had.

Not all livers were created equal!

For me it's foie gras at Jacques (cold or hot) anyday over veal liver:D

Archived