Cruisers can be a pain, says Bar Harbor, Maine.

Hondu

ð Cruise ship passengers were responsible for an estimated 10 percent of the

revenue earned by Bar Harbor’s restaurants, bars and retail stores during 2002.

Passengers accounted for an estimated 64 percent of retail sales and 26 percent of

restaurant and bar sales in October of 2002.

ð Passengers had a $12.1 million impact on sales revenue, including multiplier

effects, and supported 275 full and part-time jobs in Bar Harbor in 2002.

http://www.cruisemaineusa.com/PDFS/CruiseReport.pdf

Fire Fighter Jake~ Do you Geocache to? I recognize your name.....My niece has one of your ladders

I do! In fact, I'm planning on trying to do some geocaching on my trip to the Carribean next week . . . if I can convince my wife (she calls it geo-trashing . . . she just doesn't see the draw in geocaching.) I've already got a few of my ladders all packed up and ready to go!

We are ancoy when we Geocache and on geocache.com. I belong to the maine geocache sight to but i never remember to go over there. I get the email newsletters. We dont get out this time of year. Shooot theres on Silver Lake here in town on one of the islands, should have gone out on the snowmobile to find it. The one that we got your ladder from was our very first geocache ever. It was on the power line in Bucksport, overlooking the lake. I grew up on that road, about 1/4 mile down the hill. My dad still lives on that road, Cross Road.

I remember looking up some geocaches for our last cruise but forgot about it when the time came to pack the GPS up.

Have fun on your cruise!! I think we are going to plan our next one for next winter/spring.

This is a great sight as im sure youre finding out!

We are ancoy when we Geocache and on geocache.com. I belong to the maine geocache sight to but i never remember to go over there. I get the email newsletters. We dont get out this time of year. Shooot theres on Silver Lake here in town on one of the islands, should have gone out on the snowmobile to find it. The one that we got your ladder from was our very first geocache ever. It was on the power line in Bucksport, overlooking the lake. I grew up on that road, about 1/4 mile down the hill. My dad still lives on that road, Cross Road.

I remember looking up some geocaches for our last cruise but forgot about it when the time came to pack the GPS up.

Have fun on your cruise!! I think we are going to plan our next one for next winter/spring.

This is a great sight as im sure youre finding out!

Well I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I'm just like you . . . for me winter is spent snowmobiling and not geocaching. For my wife, winter in Maine is spent watching TV and doing puzzles -- which is why we're going on our first ever cruise this year (and if we like it we may well book a cruise every winter so that she can escape from her winter imprisonment :D ).

And yes . . . this site is incredible . . . I am very, very happy to have found this site before my first-ever cruise.

• 1 month later...
Send those tourists here, it keeps me from having to pay state income taxes

It hasn't lowered our taxes in Maine!!!! We are taxed to death:eek:

Bar Harbor does get extremely busy in the summer, when there are cruise ships in, it is a madhouse. It is good forthe economy, because it is such a "tourist" place. Bar Harbor actually shuts down in the fall and winter. Their are very limited places open.

If you try to drive around on the 4th of July, you had better have a full tank of gas. Between the parade, Pancake breakfast and fireworks at night, you can not move!!!

If you come, have a great trip, bring a camera, because it is a beautiful place. Just be prepared for lots of people!:D

It seems like maybe schools aren't out yet in the northeast by mid-June? Some things look like the won't be open, the Island Explorer won't be running. Of course, we'll be coming in on a cruise ship, so there will be crowds when we're there. :rolleyes:

Having grown up in tourist towns (New Orleans, Charleston, Newport), I'm well familiar with the love/hate relationship between locals and tourists, and have a healthy dislike of crowds. We rented a bike on our own, and are hoping to keep clear of the bus tours and other guided mobs as much as we can.

• 1 month later...

We take our fifth-wheel camper and stay for a week in the summer at Hadley Point. The town sure is crowded, but it's exciting to see the cruise ships sitting in the harbor (and knowing that April I'll be on one!)

Visit Geddy's Pub for awesome food and drink, plus their souvenir shop downstairs - something for everyone there.

Enjoy Bar Harbor, walk the shore path and have a great time.

Bar Harbor has it's history in maintaining the natural habitat ... which is why my family and I are so excited to visit there for the first time.

Though not based on tourism, when our township made decisions in the name of increasing a tax base, it has resulted in more traffic (hence I spend more gas and time), higher sewer bills, higher taxes, and weaker schools. So now I spend even more gas money and tuition dollars to drive out of my township to provide my children with a reasonable education ... more people does not equate less taxes! I have 15 years of experience and a huge tax bill to support that!

As for us, we select our cruise time to assure there will only be one ship docked in our favorite ports ... so we avoid those "nasty cruisers" too! Oh, and we don't spend money in port --- so I understand why they would like less of us! I want less of us!

As for us, we select our cruise time to assure there will only be one ship docked in our favorite ports ... so we avoid those "nasty cruisers" too! Oh, and we don't spend money in port --- so I understand why they would like less of us! I want less of us!

This definitely makes sense, based on what I've read here; however, where do you find this information? There are multiple cruise lines and I can figure out some of it, but there are definitely some unknowns, like the German ship that was previously mentioned.

Diane

This definitely makes sense, based on what I've read here; however, where do you find this information? There are multiple cruise lines and I can figure out some of it, but there are definitely some unknowns, like the German ship that was previously mentioned.

Diane

Someone told me that ships in port are listed on http://www.porttime.com. I have not been on that site yet. So I'm unsure how to search on there. I'm assuming it would be a search by port and by date.

Cheryl,

Thank you. The site was extremely easy to use. Although now I am a bit disappointed. There will be another large ship in port when we are in Bar Harbor. I will definitely check this site out when I plan to book a future cruise.

Diane

I think placing limits is wise--esp with all the mammoth ships coming on line--

More should do it--some days in Gr cayman are not worth going into the port..

We will be in Maine on Jewel of the seas in late Sept 2009, so I hope that is not such a crowded time..hoping to see much of the scenic beauty of the area--

There were 2,000 of us on Grandeur last week, plus the normal summer tourist season seemed to be starting up. It was very busy. Not enough to overwhelm, but definitely pretty full. A ship with 3,000 at the height of the land-based tourist season probably would have been a bit too much for the town to handle comfortably.

Archived