Cruisers can be a pain, says Bar Harbor, Maine.

Hondu

"Maine town to cruisers: There are too many of you!

Add Bar Harbor, Maine to the list of port towns that are getting fed up with cruisers.

Bar Harbor's town council this week voted unanimously to impose a daily limit on the number of passengers that cruise ships can bring to town, starting with the 2010 season."

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=45658686.blog

Actually, saying that cruisers are a "pain" is putting a negative spin on it. What Bar Harbor has done is decide how many passengers it can accommodate at any one time. If you have too many passengers (and tourists -- don't forget that Bar Harbor is also a summer tourist town), then the quality of the experience goes down significantly. Bar Harbor is just being realistic in how many people it can handle. Having lived in a small town of 20K for many years that's overrun by busloads of tourists in the summer, I say, good for them!

I agree with Pam. After living in the Hampton on Long Island and dealing with the summer crowds and now living in Naples which is a major tourist destination there has to be limits. It's season down here right now and I want everyone to GO HOME!!!

Last year I took a land vacation to Bar Harbor. Derfette and I took a tour bus to Arcadia National Park. The tour guide said when the ships are in port he takes the day off, it's a madhouse.

Derfette noticed there was a Del Sol in town and I said of course there is, it's a cruise port.

After living in the Hampton on Long Island and dealing with the summer crowds and now living in Naples which is a major tourist destination there has to be limits. It's season down here right now and I want everyone to GO HOME!!!
Ahhh... Naples is a great town -- I love it. My parents lived there for many, many years and I saw it grow from a very small town with a Denny's to what it is today. They moved around Naples, from Admiralty Point to Port Royal to Pelican Bay, and we loved going down to visit, walking through the mangroves and having lunch on the beach there. I know exactly what you mean about the traffic and crowds of people -- sometimes it was too much. They're gone now and are buried there so I'll be back some day.

I totally agree with Bar Harbor's decision. I wish more ports in the Caribbean would do the same, so that it would force the cruiseline's to alter itineraries so not everybody is in the same ports on the same days.

I have been to Bar Harbor twice on cruises and it can be a zoo. One was on the old Crown(1500 passengers) and the 2nd was on the constellation (2000 passengers) and that was too much. But now the cruiselines are building bigger and bigger ships which by the way start at over 3000 passengers. So frankly I really cannot blame them for putting a rein on it. Alaska towns are also another problem. In the summer there can be at least 5-7 ships in those ports in one day.

Marilyn

I live in Bangor, about 40 minutes from Bar Harbor. I stay far away from the Island (Mt Desert Island where Bar Harbor is located) during the summer months because of the tourist traffic. I have never been in town when the cruise ships are in. I can only imagine the traffic/people! The decision to limit the number of people from the cruise lines did not come easily. One of Maines largest source of income is tourism, so we walk a fine line.

Bravo for Bar Harbor! It's such a charming small town. I can just imagine the impact of 2,000+ people descending on the town for 6-7 hours.

As another poster said, I wish the Caribbean islands would do the same. It's getting to the point where I dread disembarking in St. Thomas.

We were there last summer on one of the two cruise ships that arived. It was very congested in town. Traffic was going no where. There were long lines for the restaurants and the tour buses were fighting for space.

That area is really beautiful and I am hoping that cruisers and the locals can find a happy medium with the number of cruisers coming into the area.

Cruisers can be a pain, says Bar Harbor, Maine.

The author is a poet, and didn't know it. :)

We visited Bar Harbor on Royal Princess (1200 passengers) and even that seemed like a lot of people in town even for a weekday after the high tourist season had passed. In addition to passengers, crew members also go ashore and that adds to the congestion.

Tourism generates a love/hate response among locals.

Ahhh... Naples is a great town -- I love it. My parents lived there for many, many years and I saw it grow from a very small town with a Denny's to what it is today. They moved around Naples, from Admiralty Point to Port Royal to Pelican Bay, and we loved going down to visit, walking through the mangroves and having lunch on the beach there. I know exactly what you mean about the traffic and crowds of people -- sometimes it was too much. They're gone now and are buried there so I'll be back some day.

It has grown so much. I've been visiting Naples for 32 years because my grandparents lived down here on Crayton Road and then moved into Pelican Bay.! Grew tired of the cold on Long Island and wouldn't you know, the money management firm where my husband had worked had an office so we asked to be moved back in 1999 and they moved us! We live very close to Pelican Bay.

Pam, if you ever make it down, make sure and let me know. It would be fun to have a drink together.

Like most Mainers we also do not go to the island during the summer months ... but I was there last summer when two ships were in port ... I sat in the park and watched. It was so packed it was unbelievable. The town just can't hold that many people. I'm glad that they decided to put limits. I remember years ago when Bar Harbor was still a sleepy town.

PS - cruisePRN - our biggest industry is tourism (and the largest employer in the State of Maine is the State of Maine) ... yet we pay more taxes than most states (we are #2) ... we have taxes on everything!!!! Jan

I live in Bangor, about 40 minutes from Bar Harbor. I stay far away from the Island (Mt Desert Island where Bar Harbor is located) during the summer months because of the tourist traffic. I have never been in town when the cruise ships are in. I can only imagine the traffic/people! The decision to limit the number of people from the cruise lines did not come easily. One of Maines largest source of income is tourism, so we walk a fine line.

The ONLY time we visit Bar Harbor is late spring or just after Labor Day and NEVER with a ship in port! (also in Bangor)

I'm another Mainiac (right next door to Bangor) who avoids MDI during the tourist season since the cruise ships started coming. It was bad enough when the tourists only drove there. :eek:

Cheryl... when I looked up the schedule for Bar Harbor on Oct 20th, it shows just the Jewel and AIDAaura (1,266 passengers) being in port that day. The Aaura is a "German only" ship... only German is spoken onboard. It's owned by Carnival Corp (of course).

I'm another Mainiac (right next door to Bangor) who avoids MDI during the tourist season since the cruise ships started coming. It was bad enough when the tourists only drove there. :eek:

Cheryl... when I looked up the schedule for Bar Harbor on Oct 20th, it shows just the Jewel and AIDAaura (1,266 passengers) being in port that day. The Aaura is a "German only" ship... only German is spoken onboard. It's owned by Carnival Corp (of course).

Thanks for looking that up. We'll do the best we can to see the sights in spite of the number of tourists. We're planning to reserve the "Best of Bar Harbor" 4 hour tour. Whatever the hassle, it will still be vacation! Yay!

Another Mainer checking in.... Yup, stay away from that area in the summer. Was there about 15 years ago for the 4th of July. Good God, what was i thinking???? Took forever to get out of there!

I like Bar Harbor . . . but try to avoid going there until after Labor Day when things seem to settle down a bit . . . plus in late-September and October it seems as though the stores are still open (at least the places I want to go to . . . Alexander's Clock Shop and The Chocolate Emporium) and the weather is so much nicer for doing some hiking.

Can't blame the locals for not wanting to have more tourists in town than the inhabitants! Ships are getting larger with over 3,000 passengers. This has been an issue in St. Thomas when several large ships all call on the same day. It is like rush hour in NYC! You can barely walk the streets.

MARAPRINCE

Archived