Cruise Documents - All Electronic as of February 1st

TwinMom7

We have a large group (40) sailing in 39 days. We booked this directly through Carnival. Today, we contacted Carnival to check on the status of our documents and this was what we were told by our Carnival rep:

As of February 1st, Carnival has gone paperless and all documents will be delivered electronically. Another "cost effective measure".

I did not ask if this was just for group sailings or for all passengers, but it sounds like it won't be long and none of us will be getting the little blue envelope in the mail.

That's really strange because I just went to my upcoming cruise and they still gave me the following choices....

Yes, I want Electronic Documents

No, I want paper documents which will be mailed approximately 30 days prior to my sail date.

I clicked onto the "No, I want paper documents which will be mailed approximately 30 days prior to my sail date. "....

And my cruise isn't until April 6th....

I've wondered exactly the same thing. I know I was still given the choice of paper or electronic on my reservation, but we were told just an hour ago that we would have to contact all the members of our group and tell them that next Friday (March 7th) they will have to log on to their Carnival account and print their individual documents. We were originally told (back in January when we paid off our accounts) that the documents would be mailed to the "group leader". Just an hour ago, they told us that NOTHING will be sent to the "group leader" - everyone will have to use electronic documents.

They're really pushing the electronic docs on everyone. If you choose paper docs when you log-in, it will continue to ask you each time thereafter to choose electronic or paper docs. I wanted paper docs but one time I accidentally chose electronic. It wouldn't give me the option to go back to paper docs after that. I had to call and after speaking to three different people who told me ABSOLUTELY nothing could be done to change it I got someone who said I'd be able to call back 30 days before sailing and request the paper docs be sent. They had to make a notation on my file but it was very frustrating at the least. Electronic docs won't work for everyone. I don't have a working printer and I don't want to go to the copy store to pay to have my docs printed when I already paid enough money for the cruise. What about older folks who don't even use the internet or own a computer? What are they supposed to do?

Well I got our paper docs last week Wed. for our cruise in March. Both were after Feb 1st. Wonder if it's a group thing?

That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe they're starting by "forcing" it on groups - but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen before long.

Can you even get a paper ticket any longer for air flight?

Well I got our paper docs last week Wed. for our cruise in March. Both were after Feb 1st. Wonder if it's a group thing?

Maybe they're just telling everyone they're going electronic when you can still order paper docs. It's their way of saving money. Make the customer pay for the paper like they already do for the fuel! :p

They're really pushing the electronic docs on everyone. If you choose paper docs when you log-in, it will continue to ask you each time thereafter to choose electronic or paper docs. I wanted paper docs but one time I accidentally chose electronic. It wouldn't give me the option to go back to paper docs after that. I had to call and after speaking to three different people who told me ABSOLUTELY nothing could be done to change it I got someone who said I'd be able to call back 30 days before sailing and request the paper docs be sent. They had to make a notation on my file but it was very frustrating at the least. Electronic docs won't work for everyone. I don't have a working printer and I don't want to go to the copy store to pay to have my docs printed when I already paid enough money for the cruise. What about older folks who don't even use the internet or own a computer? What are they supposed to do?

Not sure what Carnival will do but when you fly the airlines have Kiosks in the airport for you to print out your boarding passes/ticket there if you do not have a computer & printer at home. And if you do not understand how to do it they will help you or direct you to a counter person to then give you a boarding pass/ticket. I would think if Carnival goes all electronic that is what they might do. Remember they are not only saving paper but they also need less people working when you check in if you have all your documents already completed. Last few times I flew other than security check in was much faster because I had my boarding pass completed, so I just had to hand my luggage in.. There is good & bad in all things. Maybe this will speed up check-in at the terminal if it is done correctly...;)

I printed out in color my edocs, fun pass, luggage tag (I will have them laminated). I put them all in a report cover with my pre hotel, flight info and private excursion info. its all good. My expectations are check in will be a breeze.

All big companies are going paperless. I can understand that and its easier to track things this way. I may not like it, but I accept it.

My guess is that very soon all the cruiselines will use eTickets. If you book through a travel agent and don't have a computer to print your own, the travel agent will do it. They will also begin to charge for paper tickets just like the airlines do. Personally I prefer the eTickets - you can't lose or forget them. The only hassle is that, unlike the airlines, you have to print your own baggage tags, in color mind you.

As long as it saves me time and keeps the ticket prices from going up too much, I'm happy.

Groups ae set up different. and it was that way back in June/July and August too-- so its not something new.

For people who dont have computers-- or a printer-- they get the travel agent to print them up

Groups ae set up different. and it was that way back in June/July and August too-- so its not something new.

For people who dont have computers-- or a printer-- they get the travel agent to print them up

But in this case, our travel agent is Carnival. We booked directly with them. There's no one to print out the documents for those who don't have internet access or printers.

That's weird, because our Carnival Group Rep told me in January that all documents for every cruiser would be mailed to me - the group leader. Now today, the same rep (who I've dealt with for over a year) is telling me that NOTHING will be mailed - everyone will have to print their own documents. Seems strange that if this was the way things were last summer, I would have been told that in January.

Hubby and I just returned from the Freedom and we got paper documents about 12 days before cruise but couple we were traveling with didn't get any and were calling the TA at 9PM on a Thursday nite because we were leaving for Miami in AM. TA took care of everything but just another example of "cost cutting" by Carnival

That's really strange because I just went to my upcoming cruise and they still gave me the following choices....

Yes, I want Electronic Documents

No, I want paper documents which will be mailed approximately 30 days prior to my sail date.

I clicked onto the "No, I want paper documents which will be mailed approximately 30 days prior to my sail date. "....

And my cruise isn't until April 6th....

Hang on....Did the original poster say Feb. 2008 (which is obviosly past) or were they talking about 2009. It must be next year as someone in our 4-13-08 group just got their paper docs yesterday.

Hang on....Did the original poster say Feb. 2008 (which is obviosly past) or were they talking about 2009. It must be next year as someone in our 4-13-08 group just got their paper docs yesterday.

Our group is sailing a week before you and we are being told that NO PAPER DOCUMENTS will be mailed. We were instructed today to notify all members of our group that they will have to print their documents.

You're sailing a week after us and you've received your documents?? When I called today, we were told that our tickets hadn't been released yet and will be on March 7th. At that point, we can go online and print. Everyone in our group was paid in full on January 25th - not sure why we've had these problems.

Archived