Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Our two dollars are within five cents of each other, the Canadian being just over 95 cents to the US dollar. The $US is widely accepted in Vancouver and surrounds but it will only be accepted at par and you will likely get your change in CDN. If you are only here for a day or two I probably wouldn't bother. If you wish you could go to a currency exchange at YVR or go to an ATM once downtown.

Edited by Putterdude

Rezoning signs have been up for a while but I don`t know if a date has been set yet.

Will ride bike there and see what I can find out one of these days.

I would normally called City Hall but I am not sure that anyone knows where there office is much less where there phone is located. That a local remark that only locals are likely to fully understand.

Cheers

Dennis

I was finally able to find hotel availability at the Wedgewood hotel for our Alaska trip in May 2011! Please tell me I made a good choice?

Also, will I be able to find a store to purchase a bottle of wine before boarding that is within walking distance to the hotel?

Delta Vancouver over the St. Regis by a mile - while the St Regis has been recently upgraded it is still a very old hotel property - it was a drinking hole of mine many years ago while the Delta Vancouver is a fairly new property.

There is a government liquor store in the Harbour Center Mall across the street from the Delta but it is not opened on Sundays or Holidays - there is also a beer and wine store adjacent to the St. Regis that would be opened on Sundays etc - about a two block walk.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Went back to book the Wedgewood and it was booked!:mad: I did find availability at Delta Vancouver and St. Regis.....any comments?

Too bad about the Wedgewood - a beautiful gem of a hotel. Agree with UT. Delta Vancouver Suites over St. Regis. Delta Vancouver is an all suites hotel, is closer to Canada Place and gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor. Government liquor store as well as a small food court is in Harbour Centre, just across the street.

Delta Vancouver over the St. Regis by a mile - while the St Regis has been recently upgraded it is still a very old hotel property - it was a drinking hole of mine many years ago while the Delta Vancouver is a fairly new property.

There is a government liquor store in the Harbour Center Mall across the street from the Delta but it is not opened on Sundays or Holidays - there is also a beer and wine store adjacent to the St. Regis that would be opened on Sundays etc - about a two block walk.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

There's a private beer/wine store next door to the St Regis. Head down one level into the Skytrain station next door; and it's behind to the Tim Hortons in the underground area. (not the tim horton's across the street)

Do you need to convert US$ into Canadian currency for the buses and restaurants?

Thanks,

Mary

Buses (all public transit) will take only exact change (Canadian) or transit passes/tickets. However, you can pre-puchase transit passes at various locations (e.g. 7-Eleven stores) and use USD or credit cards for the transaction.

Restaurants, like most stores will take USD, but you won't get much, if any exchange for it. You might want to get some Canadian dollars at an ATM for small purchases, but it's just as easy to use your credit card. Then, you'll just be charged the going rate of your cc company.

Edited by ell52

US coins should work on the transit ticket machines - it`s just bills that the machines can`t read.

The current exchange rate is around 5% so don`t expect much if any return on your US $$$

Cheers

Dennis

I know the exchange rate is just about or equal to a wash, so I wasn't expecting the difference. We were just hoping that this is one less thing we have to do before leaving for VC. At home, there is a charge of about $15 per hundred for converting to Canadian $ at the local bank. It sounds like we wont have to do this before hand.

Thanks,

I know the exchange rate is just about or equal to a wash, so I wasn't expecting the difference. We were just hoping that this is one less thing we have to do before leaving for VC. At home, there is a charge of about $15 per hundred for converting to Canadian $ at the local bank. It sounds like we wont have to do this before hand.

Thanks,

You might not "have to" convert your currency ahead of time, but it would be polite to. We Canadians would never think of traveling to the US with our money, but for some reason Americans seldom extend the same courtesy to us. As someone who worked in retail for years, it is an extra hassle on our end to figure out the exchange, deal with the bank deposit, etc. Please either go to a bank and get some Canadian cash, or use an ATM when you get here.

Buses (all public transit) will take only exact change (Canadian) or transit passes/tickets. However, you can pre-puchase transit passes at various locations (e.g. 7-Eleven stores) and use USD or credit cards for the transaction.

Just a note; Buses take coin only. Not really an issue given Canada has a 1 and 2$ coin; but they will take US coin, so if you want to dump 10 US quarters, that's fine.

we are spending two nights in Vancouver pre cruise ( back down to SF) Can you give me an idea about how much a taxi would cost from the airport to the Empire Landmark hotel on Robson St, or it there an easy train ride? I only wnat to change as little money as we will need. We also plan on doing the hoho bus tour on our full day in the city.

we are spending two nights in Vancouver pre cruise ( back down to SF) Can you give me an idea about how much a taxi would cost from the airport to the Empire Landmark hotel on Robson St, or it there an easy train ride? I only wnat to change as little money as we will need. We also plan on doing the hoho bus tour on our full day in the city.

A taxi will be around $35 from airport to hotel.

The Canada Line (our subway/train system) is a cheaper and very efficient way to get downtown, but there is no stop close to your hotel. You could get off at either Waterfront Station or City Centre and take a taxi the rest of the way. Scottbee is our resident Skytrain expert. Hopefully, he'll be along to give you a better idea.