Formal wear for petite sizes

I'm on the shorter side, only 5'1" and I'm in my mid 30's. Finding a formal dress/gown is a nightmare! I've been looking for weeks and the only dresses I can find that fit me are in the junior's section - luckily it's prom season so there is plenty to choose from. But is it tacky and immature for me to buy a dress from the junior's department - they do have some tasteful cocktail type dresses. I've exhausted all possiblities and have been in so many stores over the past few weeks. Our cruise is in 2 weeks and we just recently decided to do the formal night so having anything altered is probably out of the question. Comments? Suggestions?

I am 5-1 also. It is a nightmare to find a formal dress. I have found some cocktail dresses through Coldwater Creek since they carry petites (in store and on-line). I have also found dresses through Chadwicks.com

Good luck.

Hey Luna, I feel your pain. I am 46, a little older than you, and I have no clue what to do for formal night. Every dress that is my size would look better on my mom or my daughter-nothing is in my size that is age appropriate. I am 5'1 and weigh 115.

Friends of mine suggest I wear a long black skirt and dress it with sparkly tops. I am sick of wearing black.

I also do not want to spend a fortune for something I will wear for a few hours. If I have to, I will eat in the Windjammer every night.

Good luck, if you find a solution, please let me know.

Buy a regular "womens" size dress in the petite section, and have it hemmed if it's too long!

I have done that and learned it is more expensive than buying a petite size. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) Petite is not only about height, it is the way the clothing is tailored. Having items hemmed often completely changes the entire look.

Hi,:) I am about 5-3,1/2 but carry alot more weight.

I have found dresses at local consignment stores. Quite a few

have been perfect and you won't spend have to spend a forturne

either.

Do you have a Beall's near you? Or Dillards? Or Belks?

All 3 of those stores usually have a wonderful selection

of dressy dresses and in petites too!

All 3 of those stores are having sales now. I was in Bealls

yesterday (yikes to pay a bill:eek: ) and stopped by the dresses.

They had some pretty items but I decided to keep walking

and (gasp) did NOT buy anything!

I agree with you about the cut..petites are cut shorter in the

shoulders, waist and when its pants, the length and crotch area

as well.

Good luck with your search:)

Have you tried Cache? They have a website and are also in the malls around me in New England. My daughter is 5'2 and weighs about 100lbs and she always finds dresses there. It's not just a store for teens/young adults. I'll try to post a picture or two for you to get an idea of how nice they are.

I hope this works and doesn't come out too large or too small so you can get an idea of what types of dresses they sell at Cache.

Here's one example. She's on the right in the tropical orange colored dress.

7-23-2007-03.jpg.10b263f2187f16b548a1def3f53971b3.jpg

Have you considered J Crew? They have some very pretty dresses that are floor length in petite sizes. I am 5'1 and in my early 30's--I promise these dresses fit really well and do not look like anything from the junior's prom section.

Also, there is a sale going on their website right now with some nice dresses listed--and there are even some codes to use for free shipping through March 6th. I know this sounds goofy, but if I can get free shipping then somehow in my mind I can justify splurging on the FedEx overnight option for $15 even. Here's an example of what they have.

63050_BK0001.jpg

My mother was a petite cruiser, and she would wear dressy slacks and top, such as a tunic in a brocade or other dressy fabric. I think the "pallazo-style" pants are really nice when paired with a dressy top. It also gives you more options if you opt to go to both formal dinners, if your cruise has more than one. Just use a different top. I've also worn dressy slacks and top...on our Mexican cruise last year, I wore black slacks, a sparkly black camisole, and a short-cut short sleeve Thai silk jacket I made (but which you should be able to find ready made). Lots of options out there...

Ann Taylor carries petites also. I get most of my petite stuff at Ann Taylor Loft - it's cheaper, but they won't have really formal type dresses there - more like cocktail stuff.

I agree with the previous poster about not just buying regular stuff and having it hemmed. I'm 37 and 5'2". I want clothes that fit me - being shorter isn't just about the length of the hem - it's sleeves, shoulders, waist, etc. I hate looking like a kid that got into my mom's closet, so I confine almost all of my shopping to places that carry petites.

I'm on the shorter side, only 5'1" and I'm in my mid 30's. Finding a formal dress/gown is a nightmare! I've been looking for weeks and the only dresses I can find that fit me are in the junior's section - luckily it's prom season so there is plenty to choose from. But is it tacky and immature for me to buy a dress from the junior's department - they do have some tasteful cocktail type dresses. I've exhausted all possiblities and have been in so many stores over the past few weeks. Our cruise is in 2 weeks and we just recently decided to do the formal night so having anything altered is probably out of the question. Comments? Suggestions?

My wife is a size 4, 5'1" as well and we always have good luck at Cache' . the dresses fit perfect and with most she only has to have them shortened and that most places can do in a few days. Don't use the mall alterations unless you know there workmanship. She has well over 20 Formal dresses in her collection, so I know you should be able to find one. Phil

Here's a few pics to give you an idea

811613609_Lavender_1(Small).jpg.01c0ba05ef2d8a5683f7665e74e1130c.jpg

628293221_USSpose_1(Small).jpg.357cd0645977b281aba0ec4c2b606fd3.jpg

2122817639_WhiteDress1_1(Small).jpg.e2d51a09a706fa84e8c8089eca3abd7d.jpg

1195764077_Formal1_1(Medium).jpg.34b6e56a24c4a644b806c292c3eb3c2e.jpg

If you want cocktail dresses instead of gowns, you might look in TJ Maxx if you have one in your area. I found a beautiful satin cocktail dress (Jessica Howard Petites) for under $30.00.

I've also had good luck with Dillard's:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?Ntk=all&Nty=1&N=1000926&Ntt=dress

Good luck! :)

I'm in the same boat as you all. I second dillards/tjmaxx, also nordstrom/bloomies have great dresses in petites and classier dresses in juniors. online i have found a few dresses at amazon. If you just put in your size criteria in the search (as small as 00) tons will come up. you may have to have it hemmed but the price on amazon is so good that even the tailoring costs won't make it too expensive.

Finding a dress is doubly hard when you're petite and over 50. Seems the choice is between "too bare" (strapless or Spageheti strap) or "Dowdy" (Something my mother or grandmother woukd wear).

I've been sticking to separates mostly (for both formal and casual) and have and have shopped the department stores and discounters already mentioned on this thread.

Where are the dresses for the mature, stylish woman?

Those who are "regular sized' just don't seem to understand that we can't just hem a dress meant for them. Petites need adjustments for all proportions - bust to waist, waist to hip, hip to thigh. as well as total lenght and length of sleeves.

I'm seriously considering taking up sewing again! (In high school, I made everything I wore!)

How do ther baby boomers, particularly petites, balance style with coverage?

If you have the build for a junior selection and can find things that you like, go for it. The after-prom sales are great! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shop in the junior section since my mid-20's - my figure is just too "mature" ( full bust, curvy hips and thighs) to get into anything in the junior department. But if it works for you, that's great; no one will kmow where you got your dress, just how great you look!

If you have the build for a junior selection and can find things that you like, go for it. The after-prom sales are great! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shop in the junior section since my mid-20's - my figure is just too "mature" ( full bust, curvy hips and thighs) to get into anything in the junior department. But if it works for you, that's great; no one will kmow where you got your dress, just how great you look!

The dress I found in the junior department (which fits perfectly) is a cream colored floor length silk gown with a kind of sparkly golden overlay (not sure what to call it). The skirt is not sleak and fitted, but just a tad full and it has a halter top, goes around the neck. My DS says it looks like I should be in a wedding, my DD just loves it (she's 13). I'm worried that it does give the impression of a ball gown and that the color is not sophisticated enough. I also bought a black knee length, silk dress. It has spaghetti straps. It's kind of boring but I could jazz it up with a necklace and some strappy heals. Maybe I'm worrying about this too much!

Sure it's ok to buy things in the junior department--I do when I find something appropriate. You just have to use a little discretion choosing styles that don't look wildly teen-agey. The dresses you describe sound very nice.

I'm 5'4" which is almost worse than really short or really tall, being at the high end of petite and low end of misses. --nothing really fits right, without lots of looking. For instance, too long-waisted for petite dresses, but misses are too long in the skirt; then, misses sizes are too long in pants, but the crotch measurement is too short in petites. Sleeves too long in misses, underarm too high in petites. Yikes! I do not want to start sewing again!

Both these dresses sound very pretty. I think the cream gown will look beautiful; I'm not sure which line you are cruising, but in my expereince formal nights run the gamut from the "little black dress" to more formal gowns such as the one you describe.

Bring some really snazzy jewelry, maybe an elegant wrap or shawl too, and the black one will look great too.

I think the main thing is that you love heat you are wearing and feel beautiful in it - you will look beautiful.

How do the baby boomers, particularly petites, balance style with coverage?

I hear you! I'm 5'4", age 50, 110 lbs, and refuse to dress like my mother!

I do wear spaghetti strap dresses (with a strapless bra), but generally wear a pashmina or sheer evening jacket with it. There are also a lot of cocktail dresses out now with cap sleeves and empire waists, which look good on just about any body type. Keep on looking!

Here are some nice ones at Nordstroms.com and Penneys that I would be willing to put on my baby-boomer body:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2945128/0~2376776~2374327~6002273~2382051~6010557?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010557&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2923141/0~2376776~2374327~6002273~2382051~6010557?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010557&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2931159/0~2376776~2374327~6002273~2382051~6010557?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010557&P=1

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50434&CatID=52181&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=13851de&cmVirtualCat=FeaturedItem&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|50450|52178

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50434&CatID=52180&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=11f9d65&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|50450|52178|52180

:)

Ok. So I am breaking down and putting a link to one of the dresses I bought. I hate the way this dress looks on the model, I suppose because you can't tell how much it sparkles. Also, on me it's almost to my ankles and I completely fill in the bust ;) . So I guess all in all, I give it much more shape, but then again, it is STILL a junior prom dress!

I want honest opinions - I don't want to look like a fool! I'll return it in a flash. I have also ordered several other dresses via the links you wonderful people have given me. All hope is not lost!!

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50455&CatID=54692&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=137fe5e&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=50455|51280|54692

Archived