*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

Acey and Sapper1...have either of you ever thought about becoming a Meet and Greeter:D

I have often thought about it. Graydon was telling me how much he enjoys it and that people recognize him when he goes travelling as a result of having encountered him when they get off the ship here. I should talk to him about how much of a time committment is involved. Can you just sign up to meet some ships or is it every ship? I am heavily involved in golf in the summer but could free up some time. Do you have information sessions during the winter for volunteers?

I have often thought about it. Graydon was telling me how much he enjoys it and that people recognize him when he goes travelling as a result of having encountered him when they get off the ship here. I should talk to him about how much of a time committment is involved. Can you just sign up to meet some ships or is it every ship? I am heavily involved in golf in the summer but could free up some time. Do you have information sessions during the winter for volunteers?

I know Graydon...he is not on the same team a I am .......but he'll be able to tell you who to contact at the port. I do not get to see he very often...tell him that the "other" Tilley hat person say's HI.:D...just that mine does not have a tail;) .

You can work as much or a little as you want. Training is in the spring sometime(I think)that is when I did mine.

I know Graydon...he is not on the same team a I am .......but he'll be able to tell you who to contact at the port. I do not get to see he very often...tell him that the "other" Tilley hat person say's HI.:D...just that mine does not have a tail;) .

You can work as much or a little as you want. Training is in the spring sometime(I think)that is when I did mine.

It is good to know that the time committment is flexible. I used to see Graydon a fair bit at social gatherings, or my husband and I would sit with him at Tim's, but he seems to have vanished. If I don't run into him this summer, I will have to give him a call and find out just what I should do .

Thanks to the info on this thread, I found a map of Saint John here:

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/images/Explorer_Map.pdf

Does anyone know where Long Whart berth is on this map? What about Pugsley A berth?:)

Long Wharf is where the Red and Blue ship is (the day we were there, there was a Carnival ship here) ... Pugsley A is where the blue-topped ship is (we were on a Royal Caribbean ship at this location) ... it's a very compact area, easy to walk around from either location.

We will be arriving onSeptember 19th and looking forward to this trip very much. Your information has made me want to go sooner. Our problem is that there are 3 of us, one in a wheelchair and one with a walker. What would you recommend for us to do from the Long Wharf? Does the trolley go to the long wharf and hold the wheelchair? We can walk short distance but need to put the wheelchair and walker on board.

We will be arriving onSeptember 19th and looking forward to this trip very much. Your information has made me want to go sooner. Our problem is that there are 3 of us, one in a wheelchair and one with a walker. What would you recommend for us to do from the Long Wharf? Does the trolley go to the long wharf and hold the wheelchair? We can walk short distance but need to put the wheelchair and walker on board.

I seem to recall seeing the horse drawn trolley go by me one day and I saw a wheelchair folded up to the side onboard. The trolley tours were leaving from Long Wharf area, however there was an incident on the concrete road leading to the wharf that lead to the unfortunate death of one of the horses and my understanding is they will no longer go that route. Does that mean they no longer leave from Long Wharf? I'm not sure but the number to call them directly is (506) 633-7659 - they will be able to answer all your questions.

The local port authority provides a complimentary shuttle from the wharf to the downtown area. The walk from Long Wharf to the downtown area is about 10 minutes. The facilities in the area are mobility impaired friendly with elevators.

I seem to recall seeing the horse drawn trolley go by me one day and I saw a wheelchair folded up to the side onboard. The trolley tours were leaving from Long Wharf area, however there was an incident on the concrete road leading to the wharf that lead to the unfortunate death of one of the horses and my understanding is they will no longer go that route. Does that mean they no longer leave from Long Wharf? I'm not sure but the number to call them directly is (506) 633-7659 - they will be able to answer all your questions.

The local port authority provides a complimentary shuttle from the wharf to the downtown area. The walk from Long Wharf to the downtown area is about 10 minutes. The facilities in the area are mobility impaired friendly with elevators.

Acey--there was an item in the paper on Thursday that mentioned that mentioned bussing passengers from Long Wharf to Pugsley to pick up the horse drawn trolley. They want to avoid the Loyalist Plaza area altogether as they feel all the confusion there may have contributed to the tragedy of the horse slipping on the concrete.

That's great - I was afraid they would attempt the steep Union St. hill by the RedRose building - that would be scary.

I ran into Graydon at a reception this afternoon and gave him your greeting. He said he knew who I meant. I told him of my interest in your "meet and greet" group and he said he would see that I got a call next spring when things start to gear up again for the next cruise season.

Eileen ...what ship are you coming in on? I have no ship coming into port on September 19...is this your sailing date??:confused:

Hopefully by September...your ship will be docked at Pugsley....the new cruise terminal is suppose to be done by then.

Coming to Saint John on August 4th...on the Explorer....11am to 5pm.

Could you please tell me if there is a restaurant/pub that we could meet friends that is accessible for a walker and the closer to the ship the better. Thank you in advance.

Anna

Coming to Saint John on August 4th...on the Explorer....11am to 5pm.

Could you please tell me if there is a restaurant/pub that we could meet friends that is accessible for a walker and the closer to the ship the better. Thank you in advance.

Anna

According to my schuedule you will be docked at Pugsley A........and I am on the Pier that day with the Meet & Greets.....the closest restaurant/pub is "Steamers" it is right outside the gate...across the street...easy to walk to with a walker. Hope to see on the pier:D

Teresa...Thank you so much for the info. about Steamers. My mum is meeting friends there while the rest of us go exploring. I will try to find you that day.

Anna:)

Just noticed that you are from Windsor....I am from just down the road...Amhurstburg......small world.:) ..........I'll be the one with a "Tilley hat":D

Teresa, yes it is a small world...filled with wonderful people.

I went on the web site of the Steamers restaurant that you suggested. It stated that the restauran opens at 4pm. Not great timing for us as the ship leaves at 5pm. So I emailed them and received a quick response as follows...We will indeed be open 11am on Aug.4th. I’ll need to have a word with our web developer.

Just thought I would post that for others. And Teresa I wll be looking for that Tilley Hat.

Thanks Again, Anna

Will the taxi tours take you to St Martin if you want or do they just stay in St John proper? If so what is the hourly rate?

Neale -

A few months ago they posted a rate of $50/hr. for Saint John taxis. Brian and I will be enjoying the city this time around so we will be eating at Billy's Seafood. If you decide to stay local let us know.

Will the taxi tours take you to St Martin if you want or do they just stay in St John proper? If so what is the hourly rate?

Taxis will take you gor $50 hour - inside or outside of city.

This is a great thread, but I must have missed details for a Whale Watching Cruise / Tour. Can I get one from where the ship docks in Saint John ?

I will be there next week (Aug 6, 2008)

Thanks again !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is a great thread, but I must have missed details for a Whale Watching Cruise / Tour. Can I get one from where the ship docks in Saint John ?

I will be there next week (Aug 6, 2008)

Thanks again !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whale watching tour boats depart from Charlotte County southwest of Saint John. As for tours leaving the port as in a bus to take you to the departure area, I do not know - so I hope one of our other local posters would know the answer to this to help you out. Does your cruiseship offer a tour?

Acey and Sapper1 - Thank you both so much for all the wonderful information about St. Johns. We will be there on the Eurodam on Oct.8 and dock at Long Wharf. From your suggestions it should be easy for me to get a car from Enterprise. I get the feeling you aren't much for renting a car but my 3 companions don't want to do a cruise excursion, hate taking taxis, and aren't thrilled with bus tours so...if I want them to go with me I need to rent a car. I was in Saint John's 3 years ago when the hurricane was hitting the country. We were in our RV and stayed at the Delta. We walked around the harbor and went to the wonderful City Market so I will include the Market in our activities. We are docked from10 a.m. till 8 p.m. We should be able to see/do a lot. I feel good about driving in your town since I got there in our RV. I want very badly to go to Reversing Falls. I could walk it but the other 3 couldn't so we'll drive there then can I can on to St. Martin and St. Andrews then head back to town to the Market? I will look for you and your dog. We stayed at the Delta because they allowed dogs and our dear Chewy was with us on that trip. If we don't get back to Billy's for a late lunch is there any place you two would recommend in St. Martins or St. Andrews. Thanks for your input. Anna

Archived