*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

Acey and Sapper1 - Thank you both so much for all the wonderful information about St. Johns. We will be there on the Eurodam on Oct.8 and dock at Long Wharf. From your suggestions it should be easy for me to get a car from Enterprise. I get the feeling you aren't much for renting a car but my 3 companions don't want to do a cruise excursion, hate taking taxis, and aren't thrilled with bus tours so...if I want them to go with me I need to rent a car. I was in Saint John's 3 years ago when the hurricane was hitting the country. We were in our RV and stayed at the Delta. We walked around the harbor and went to the wonderful City Market so I will include the Market in our activities. We are docked from10 a.m. till 8 p.m. We should be able to see/do a lot. I feel good about driving in your town since I got there in our RV. I want very badly to go to Reversing Falls. I could walk it but the other 3 couldn't so we'll drive there then can I can on to St. Martin and St. Andrews then head back to town to the Market? I will look for you and your dog. We stayed at the Delta because they allowed dogs and our dear Chewy was with us on that trip. If we don't get back to Billy's for a late lunch is there any place you two would recommend in St. Martins or St. Andrews. Thanks for your input. Anna

I read both your posts and you are getting closer in the spelling. You got the "Saint" right but there is no "s" at the end of Saint John.;)

I think that you might have a problem trying to do both St. Martins and St. Andrews in the time frame you have available. St. Martins is about a 45 minute drive from SJ. It might not look that far on a map but most of the way is on a two lane, twisty highway with not much opportunity to pass. It takes a while to walk out on the beach to the caves and explore the harbour and covered bridges area in St. Martins as well. There is a restaurant on the beach right by the caves.

St. Andrews, on the other hand is about an hour and fifteen minute drive on the other side of Saint John, so add forty five minutes it would take to get back from St. Martins to that time. Most of the way to St. Andrews is on four lane highway but there is still quite a two lane, slow stretch. Again, St. Andrews takes some time to wander through. I eat lunch at a nice little restaruant that has a terrace on the harbour but I'll be darned if I can think of the name of it!! St Andrews is as busy as Bar Harbor in the summertime so parking takes time. If you try to do it all, as well as the Reversing Falls, you would'nt see much of anything. You have to consider the time it takes to rent your car and to return it as well.

I would choose to visit the Reversing Falls, then do St. Martins OR St. Andrews, (both equally lovely) and then leave time for a quick visit to the Falls on the way back to see the change the tide brings to the Falls. Missing the ship isn't fun! Enjoy your cruise. I can't wait until next summer for our cruise on the Eurodam!!

I just have to thank you, Sapper and Acey!

We LOVED St Martin! We went with the RCCL excursion as my husband doesn't like the idea of renting a car. We were truly entertained going and coming back, and even though we were at St. Martin at high tide, the sea caves were incredible. But, boy oh boy, were we shocked with our "cup of chowder."

The description stated we would get a cup of chowder, but instead had biscuits, cookies and tea along with a bowl of the best tasting chowder I may ever had have ... and I make a mean cup of chowder! My children had french fries and chicken fingers ... it was fantastic.

We enjoyed the plants and animals at the reversing falls as well.

My children loved shopping at the Market as well. The prices are nice and the quality good ... so Mom and Dad are pleased too!

I'm so glad we listened to your suggestions, as what I had planned would never have been as good as this excursion.

This was our second time to St. John, and both times, it was the highlight of our cruise. So ... thank you!

We look forward to visit number 3!

To all who are considering St. John --- listen to Sapper and Acey, they know what they are talking about.

Bonnie

I just have to thank you, Sapper and Acey!

We LOVED St Martin! We went with the RCCL excursion as my husband doesn't like the idea of renting a car. We were truly entertained going and coming back, and even though we were at St. Martin at high tide, the sea caves were incredible. But, boy oh boy, were we shocked with our "cup of chowder."

The description stated we would get a cup of chowder, but instead had biscuits, cookies and tea along with a bowl of the best tasting chowder I may ever had have ... and I make a mean cup of chowder! My children had french fries and chicken fingers ... it was fantastic.

We enjoyed the plants and animals at the reversing falls as well.

My children loved shopping at the Market as well. The prices are nice and the quality good ... so Mom and Dad are pleased too!

I'm so glad we listened to your suggestions, as what I had planned would never have been as good as this excursion.

This was our second time to St. John, and both times, it was the highlight of our cruise. So ... thank you!

We look forward to visit number 3!

To all who are considering St. John --- listen to Sapper and Acey, they know what they are talking about.

Bonnie

Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know that the advice really does help people enjoy their stay here. I am so glad you had a great visit to Saint John. I hope the weather cooperated as it hasn't been very good this summer. We have had more than our fair share of rain and fog.

Sapper1 - Thanks for the info! You said both towns were equally lovely so I guess we'll go with the above post and go to the Reversing Falls then to St. Martin and back to the Falls - thanks for that suggestion. My group is happier that we are going to rent a car so your plan sounds good. Are you coming down to the port to get a look at the Eurodam? I'm hoping they get all the little problems solved before we board on 10/1. I enjoyed reading Rev. Neal's blog on the inaugural trip. Makes you feel like you are there.

Sapper1 - Thanks for the info! You said both towns were equally lovely so I guess we'll go with the above post and go to the Reversing Falls then to St. Martin and back to the Falls - thanks for that suggestion. My group is happier that we are going to rent a car so your plan sounds good. Are you coming down to the port to get a look at the Eurodam? I'm hoping they get all the little problems solved before we board on 10/1. I enjoyed reading Rev. Neal's blog on the inaugural trip. Makes you feel like you are there.

The Eurodam will be making her first visit to Saint John on September 4th. I plan on being up on Fort Howe Hill to watch her come in. Our travel agent is trying to get some of her clients aboard so we can only hope---and wait!!!

I am waiting to see Rev Neal's port photos as he went to all the places we will be visiting next year.

For some great photos of Saint John, check out Radio's "Live from the Carinval Victory" report on the Carnival boards. It may still be on page one as it was yesterday but you may have to try page 2. He posted two groupings of SJ photos and some lovely Halifax pictures. I imagine your cruise will visit Halifax as well.

Thank you both (Acey & Sapper)for all this great info.

I will be in Saint John 9-10-08 on caribbean Princess.

There are 3 ships in that day will taxis be scarce?

Is the price to go to the reversing falls via taxi still $7 per car?(can`t walk 40 min).City Bus $2.25 (RT 4 west)?How to pay w/ US dollars?

Do you know the phone number for Freedom tours?

Is Nougatine et Chocolat w/i walking distance?Can you give directions if it is?

Best place to buy Dulse?

Can you help a computer novice find a printable map of the area so when we walk off the ship we know where to go?

Luved this idea=where do I buy the cheese bread & fruit & wine for my picnic?

Where do you get the water taxi? How long is it? How far a walk back to the ship?Please include prices if you know them.

Does the 2 hour tour via Saint John transit go to St. Martins sea caves w\ time to explore them if low tide?If not what does it entail?

My Mom and I have mobility flare ups with no predictability(one min. we can walk fine next we may be hobbling).Everything sounds so great here but we know we are limited. What would you recomend (not too$$). Thanks so much Debbi

Old Bag was on the same cruise(by the way she is no way old or a bag)very pretty young woman.We did the same tour and had a great time.DH and I also got a Lobster Roll to share,and we both enjoyed that as well.We really appreciated the Hospitality(received a rose and a pin for the guys)

Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know that the advice really does help people enjoy their stay here. I am so glad you had a great visit to Saint John. I hope the weather cooperated as it hasn't been very good this summer. We have had more than our fair share of rain and fog.

It rained off and on during the day,but luckily most of the rain occured when we were on the bus.The temp was about 72 we loved it as we live in the steam bath capital of South Florida.

Thank you both (Acey & Sapper)for all this great info.

I will be in Saint John 9-10-08 on caribbean Princess.

There are 3 ships in that day will taxis be scarce?

Is the price to go to the reversing falls via taxi still $7 per car?(can`t walk 40 min).City Bus $2.25 (RT 4 west)?How to pay w/ US dollars?

Do you know the phone number for Freedom tours?

Is Nougatine et Chocolat w/i walking distance?Can you give directions if it is?

Best place to buy Dulse?

Can you help a computer novice find a printable map of the area so when we walk off the ship we know where to go?

Luved this idea=where do I buy the cheese bread & fruit & wine for my picnic?

Where do you get the water taxi? How long is it? How far a walk back to the ship?Please include prices if you know them.

Does the 2 hour tour via Saint John transit go to St. Martins sea caves w\ time to explore them if low tide?If not what does it entail?

My Mom and I have mobility flare ups with no predictability(one min. we can walk fine next we may be hobbling).Everything sounds so great here but we know we are limited. What would you recomend (not too$$). Thanks so much Debbi

Wow---So many questions---hope I can help with a few.

According to the schedule your ship will be the first in by an hour---followed by Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Spirit. You will be at Pugsley along with the Spirit and the Dawn will be at Long Wharf. Since you will be an hour ahead of everyone else, a taxi should not be a problem. They charge about $50 an hour and in that time you should have time to go up to the top of Fort Howe Hill and enjoy the view if it is a nice day. Acey will have a better idea of the fare if you just want to go to the falls and back without the hourly rate. Personally, I think Saint John Transit would be a better deal.

1. The Saint John Transit tour you asked about goes to the Falls so you shouldn't have to worry about a taxi for that. Their website is www.saintjohntransit.com It is a city tour which is outlined on their website. They do not go to St. Martins which is 45 minutes away. If you have mobility issues it might be difficult to walk out to the caves in St Martins from the shore. The beach is comprised of quite good sized rocks----not boulders mind you, but if walking is a problem you may find it difficult. It takes about 15 minutes to walk out to the caves.

On the website it mentions where the "siteseeing" tours depart from.Barbours General Store area is just up the street from Puglsey. Turn left and walk a couple of blocks to the Loyalist Plaza area at the foot of King Street. You will see the signs for the tour. There are also volunteers on the dock who will direct you.

2. Re Maps--If you go to www.cruisesaintjohn.com and click on "adventures" the drop down menu will have maps.

3. You will have no problem using US dollars in Canada but you will receive your change in Canadian. Our bills start at 5.00. Below that we have a dollar coin called a loonie and a two dollar coin called a toonie.

4. The phone number for Freedom Tours is 506-632-1012

5. You can buy dulse at the city market halfway up the hill (the market runs up and down hill) on the right hand side just before the meat counter. It will be piled up on the counter. Taste a bit before you buy too much because even though it is one of my favourite snacks, I can guarantee you will hate it. You have to grow up eating it.

6. Nougatine and Chocolat is at 124 Prince William Street and is an easy walk from Pugsley. Just turn left from the dock and walk along Water Street up to the first set of lights. Turn to your right, cross the street and walk one block up the hill to Prince William Street. Turn left and it is along there somewhere on the right hand side.

7. The Hilton Hotel is right behind Loyalist Plaza and Market Square. You will be able to see it from the ship. The ship points right at it when docked. You will see a lighthouse beside the Hilton and that is the area from which the water taxi to the falls area depart. I don't know the cost. It would take about 10 minutes to the Falls area directly,but I think they look around a bit on the way. Maybe Acey will read this. He knows a lot about the prices as he lives in the uptown area and walks around there a lot.

8. You should be able to get your cheese bread and nice fresh fruit at the City Market. (not to be confused with Market Square, which has a shopping area and museum and library, plus some restaurants. Wine is not sold in grocery stores here. You have to go to a liquor store. The one uptown has closed and there is not one within an easy walk if you can't walk distance. You could take a taxi to Lansdowne Place which has a free standing store next to it. If you do taxi to the falls, Lansdowne would only be one block out of the driver's way. There is another store at Prince Edward Mall but I wouldn't send my mother in there so I would not recommend it to a visitor.

9. There are horse drawn trolley tours around the city and they depart from the Pugsley area, I think. The volunteers can help you here again.

10. An easy way to walk up to the City Market from the cruiseship without walking up the hill is to go into Market Square across from the Loyalist Plaza and follow the system of escalators and pedways all the way through to the market. Don't be afraid to ask directions. Saint Johners are extremely friendly and will be happy to help you.

If you have any further questions please post them and between Acey and myself we can usually help.

The taxi to the falls - I thought it was around $7 but for 2 people may be as high as $10

Unfortunately I don't know the water taxi price - their website does not give pricing for it - although they have pricing for tours.

If you are mobility impaired at times - my suggestion would be to explore the historic area, including the City Market. If you need to go back to the ship - it's basically "downhill" to Pugsley Terminal. As mentioned - you can take advantage of the elevators and escalators.

Wow this is an excellent thread and has been very helpful for me.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can assist me.

I will be coming in on Aug 25th on the Carnival Victory. It seems like that will be the only cruise coming in that day.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to do in NB was to do some kayaking. I think Acey suggested going to St. Martins, and I have already sent an email to the company for more information.

Meanwhile, what else can I do if I decide to go to St. Martins for 3-4hrs kayak? Will I be able to get back and visit the reversing falls? possibly visit Nougatine et Chocolat? and even sit down on the patio and enjoy some lobsters?

Should I be goign via taxi to these sites or should I rent a car? I was quoted ~$70 (after taxes) at Enterprise's website. If I do rent a car, how is the traffic and parking in the city like?

Thanks!

got a response from River Valley Adventure, the high tide on that day is early early in the morning or late at night, so I will not be able to fit that in.

are there any other private kayak companies around closer to the port? I've contacted Go Fundy Events, and coincidently, they are the company that provides the cruise excursions....so for that day, they are contracted out to Carnival and no private booking is allowed.

Wow this is an excellent thread and has been very helpful for me.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can assist me.

I will be coming in on Aug 25th on the Carnival Victory. It seems like that will be the only cruise coming in that day.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to do in NB was to do some kayaking. I think Acey suggested going to St. Martins, and I have already sent an email to the company for more information.

Meanwhile, what else can I do if I decide to go to St. Martins for 3-4hrs kayak? Will I be able to get back and visit the reversing falls? possibly visit Nougatine et Chocolat? and even sit down on the patio and enjoy some lobsters?

Should I be goign via taxi to these sites or should I rent a car? I was quoted ~$70 (after taxes) at Enterprise's website. If I do rent a car, how is the traffic and parking in the city like?

Thanks!

If you do St. Martins, you should have plenty of time when you get back to visit a restaurant and visit reversing falls - just plan your day and know your route. Car rental is most affordable option to do St. Martins and go to reversing falls - $70 sounds steep - I would call the Saint John Enterprise or Avis offices directly. Traffic should not be a concern, and parking at reversing falls and St. Martins should not be a problem. I would drop the car off at agency before exploring uptown area - where parking may not be as convenient.

got a response from River Valley Adventure, the high tide on that day is early early in the morning or late at night, so I will not be able to fit that in.

are there any other private kayak companies around closer to the port? I've contacted Go Fundy Events, and coincidently, they are the company that provides the cruise excursions....so for that day, they are contracted out to Carnival and no private booking is allowed.

St. George, NB (40 min southwest of Saint John) offers Kayaking at an Adventure Centre (It's river kayaking though) - St. George is 3/5 the way to St. Andrew's (another attraction) - perhaps this would be a better itinerary for you.

For information on St. George kayaking, or St. Andrew's - call New Brunswick Tourism at 1-800-561-0123 and they can answer your questions also.

Should I be goign via taxi to these sites or should I rent a car? I was quoted ~$70 (after taxes) at Enterprise's website.

Thanks!

I agree that $70 sounds like a lot. Check out the prices from Costco if you are a member or http://www.carrentals.com. I was going to rent a car in Saint John (but opted for a tour instead). I know that the rate I originally booked was just under $50 CDN with tax. I also noticed that the prices changed (up or down) almost daily.

Hi Acey

I will be in Saint John's in Oct. We will be docked at Pugsley A. I have heard alot about Guy Frenchy's and did some research. I found one at 109 Ludlow Street. Could you please tell me if this is close to where we would be docking. If not how far away?

Thanks

Hi Acey

I will be in Saint John's in Oct. We will be docked at Pugsley A. I have heard alot about Guy Frenchy's and did some research. I found one at 109 Ludlow Street. Could you please tell me if this is close to where we would be docking. If not how far away?

Thanks

Guys Frenchy's is across the harbour from Pugsley Terminal on the lower west side of Saint John. (you could probably see it from the port side of the ship) To get there, go to the bus stop at city hall on King Street - catch the "WEST" bus - it's $2.25 - the bus goes right by Guy's Frenchy's on Ludlow St (20 min bus ride - through some very old neighborhoods) - when you are done you can catch the bus at same spot to come right back uptown where your ship is ("EAST" bus). Don't hesitate to tell the driver you want off at Frenchy's and they'll be pleased to let you know to help you out. The bus is every 15-20 min on that route - schedules are available onboard.

Hope this helps - ask away if you need more....

Hello, our funship leaves in 5 days:) . We would like to take a taxi in Halifax to the cemetery that has many Titanic graves. Can we grab a taxi outside the terminal?

Also, can we pay American or do you recommend getting Canadian dollars for this purpose?

Lastly, will the taxi wait for us in the cemetery, because from there we would like him to take us to the Citadel. We can walk back to the boardwalk and pier from there.

Thanks, Jeanne

Hello, our funship leaves in 5 days:) . We would like to take a taxi in Halifax to the cemetery that has many Titanic graves. Can we grab a taxi outside the terminal?

Also, can we pay American or do you recommend getting Canadian dollars for this purpose?

Lastly, will the taxi wait for us in the cemetery, because from there we would like him to take us to the Citadel. We can walk back to the boardwalk and pier from there.

Thanks, Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

You may want to post your question on it's own in the Canada thread as this thread is for Saint John, NB - the people that might know the answers may not be looking under this Saint John thread.

To Acey and Sapper1 Thank you for so much info on your lovely town. We will be arriving on Sept 9 on the Carnival Victory. I read somewhere that they were working on one of the terminals. Our info states we will berth at Long Wharf, do you know that to be true? We are traveling in a party of 4 so we thought we would hire a private cab. I have lots of questions. Are there set rates per hour, what kind of cab company should we look for and would 5 hours be enough time, maybe do St. Martin. Also I read you can catch the cabs outside the gates. I guess when we arrive we can figure it where. We really are not shoppers but love to take in the local flavor of the areas that we visit. I would love and appreciate some not to be missed things to see and do. I am so excited to be visiting your area of the country. Thank you in advance.

Archived