*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

I have read several threads about the car rental thing but we like to be a bit free and would like to go to the caves so I thought a car rental might be best - docking at Long Wharf, anyone know what are the closet agencies? And can we then drive to reversing falls? Any other suggestions? thanks

I have read several threads about the car rental thing but we like to be a bit free and would like to go to the caves so I thought a car rental might be best - docking at Long Wharf, anyone know what are the closet agencies? And can we then drive to reversing falls? Any other suggestions? thanks

For Long Wharf the most convenient agency is Enterprise on Station St. - however Avis is also available right downtown on Water St. You can drive to reversing falls, there is complimentary parking. To get to these agencies, ask a helper when you get off ship - they will point you in right direction. I suggest calling to reserve direct locally rather than call centre.

I am sorry if you have already posted information about this but I keep trying to find out more information on the Saint John marina but the web site is either got a wrong URL or is down. From what I have read you have to be a part of a group to book this tour correct or can I book it as an individual? Is it worth the money for 3 1/2 hour tour of the river, etc? What type of wildlife could I expect to see, etc??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom

I am sorry if you have already posted information about this but I keep trying to find out more information on the Saint John marina but the web site is either got a wrong URL or is down. From what I have read you have to be a part of a group to book this tour correct or can I book it as an individual? Is it worth the money for 3 1/2 hour tour of the river, etc? What type of wildlife could I expect to see, etc??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom

Saint John Marina----506-738-8484

email sjmarina@nbnet.nb.ca

Having spent many happy years boating on the St. John River, I can tell you that it is one of the "best kept secret" gems of the east coast area. The scenery is beautiful and very peaceful. You can expect to see bald eagles, osprey, loons, salmon jumping etc. ----although that is like whale watching--not guaranteed. Depending on where they take you you may see sea dogs. If they go around the island through the Milkish Creek you will see them on the rocks in Sea Dog Cove. It is too bad that you will only have a few hours as you can go forever in the river and lake system. We used to go on our sailboat for two weeks at a time and never get bored. It is not like the states where you have to pay to anchor. You are just in the wilderness and can anchor wherever you like--or tie to a tree in the upper areas--whichever works. Now I've gone and gotten very nostalgic for the old days! I am sure you will enjoy the river cruise.

Well the e-mail address no longer exists either. Just got bounced back. Oh well, I will just call them and see if the phone number works.

I got the email off the internet. However, the phone number works and I just phoned and the email address is info@saintjohnmarina.com

The lady I was talking to said the trip goes up at least as far as the Westfield Ferry and the cruise ship passengers all get a kick out of the fact that they are cable ferries. It seems we are the only place in the world that has them. I didn't know that. They are all along the St. John and Kennebecasis Rivers and into the Belleisle Bay, which are all part of the river system. They are free and are part of the highway system. You can easily pass behind them but the unknowing boater who passes in front will fetch up on the cable. The accepted prctice is to radio the ferry operator and politely ask to cross the cable and they will stop and wait for you or tell you to pass behind.

I got the email off the internet. However, the phone number works and I just phoned and the email address is info@saintjohnmarina.com

The lady I was talking to said the trip goes up at least as far as the Westfield Ferry and the cruise ship passengers all get a kick out of the fact that they are cable ferries. It seems we are the only place in the world that has them. I didn't know that. They are all along the St. John and Kennebecasis Rivers and into the Belleisle Bay, which are all part of the river system. They are free and are part of the highway system. You can easily pass behind them but the unknowing boater who passes in front will fetch up on the cable. The accepted prctice is to radio the ferry operator and politely ask to cross the cable and they will stop and wait for you or tell you to pass behind.

So, now that you know how far up it goes. Is it worth it? Will we see all the wildlife you were talking about? If so, I will probably book it. The other thing we were thinking about doing (if we didn't do this) was one of the walks around the town..

Tom

So, now that you know how far up it goes. Is it worth it? Will we see all the wildlife you were talking about? If so, I will probably book it. The other thing we were thinking about doing (if we didn't do this) was one of the walks around the town..

Tom

If you go to google maps you can follow the river up from the Marina which is just above the Reversing Falls at the river mouth. You can see the dotted line at Westfield which represents the ferry crossing. The lady said they go up at least that far. She also said that when the captain toots the whistle the sea dogs appear as if by magic. Maybe they feed them? The whistle will also bring out the osprey according to her. I have always spotted osprey along that section. If you go take along your binnoculars. I would take the river cruise over a walk through the city any time unless you are interested in architecture. The city walks are interesting---the river is gorgeous. It is so hard to know where someone else's tastes take them. The new dock for the Voyageur 11 is in a seedy run- down part of town so please don't judge Saint John by what you see on the way to take the boat tour.

You can take the walk around the historic area of the city by yourself. You can just stop into the City Hall info centre in the pedway system between Market Square and Brunswick Square and they will give you uptown maps. It is an easy walk from the cruise ship dock. There will be volunteers on the dock to help you with directions.

If you are in town for the whole day you could do both. Don't forget to visit the Old Saint John City Market if you are walking around.

I hope that whatever you decide to do that you enjoy your visit to Saint John.

To Acey and Sapper1 and any other residents that posted on here, thank you so much for the information.

We are either going to walk to or bus it to the reversing falls. How far up King Street is City Hall, where the bus is, located? Is it right by Loyalist Plaza or further up? I do have a map in hand.

I am totally confused about how to walk to the falls--I assume a Meet and Greeter will advise us--but I don't see on my map where the Harbor Passage walking trail is that will bring us to Douglas Street. Is it in the direction away from the main part of town that the map depicts?

Cannot wait to go to Nougatine et Chocolate! Tres bien--un eclair, sil vous plait! And sorry, have no idea how to add the accent marks on my keyboard.

Here's my last crazy question. Bet you never get hit with this one. I collect Cherished Teddies, which are made by Enesco. There are Canadian Exclusives and I would love to buy one while I am there. Do you have any idea of any stores that might sell these in town? They are not expensive; range from $15 and up, and are sometimes found in high end greeting card stores and collectable stores. Last time I cruised I was in Halifax only and drove my husband crazy until I found one! Thank you so much. My trip was booked a day ago--for this Sunday--and I am rushing to find out information!

To Acey and Sapper1 and any other residents that posted on here, thank you so much for the information.

We are either going to walk to or bus it to the reversing falls. How far up King Street is City Hall, where the bus is, located? Is it right by Loyalist Plaza or further up? I do have a map in hand.

I am totally confused about how to walk to the falls--I assume a Meet and Greeter will advise us--but I don't see on my map where the Harbor Passage walking trail is that will bring us to Douglas Street. Is it in the direction away from the main part of town that the map depicts?

Cannot wait to go to Nougatine et Chocolate! Tres bien--un eclair, sil vous plait! And sorry, have no idea how to add the accent marks on my keyboard.

Here's my last crazy question. Bet you never get hit with this one. I collect Cherished Teddies, which are made by Enesco. There are Canadian Exclusives and I would love to buy one while I am there. Do you have any idea of any stores that might sell these in town? They are not expensive; range from $15 and up, and are sometimes found in high end greeting card stores and collectable stores. Last time I cruised I was in Halifax only and drove my husband crazy until I found one! Thank you so much. My trip was booked a day ago--for this Sunday--and I am rushing to find out information!

City Hall is at the foot of King Street, just across from Market Square and Loyalist Plaza. On the map --at the corner of St. Patrick and King.

You can pick up the Harbour Passage from the Boardwalk behind the Hilton Hotel --which is across from Loyalist Plaza. You can follow Harbour Passage to the blue roofed observation deck which you will see after you pass under the Harbour Bridge. Go up the stairs or ramp and cross the street at the light. You will see the cranberry coloured sidewalk leading up the hill (Bentley Street). Just follow it up to Douglas Avenue and turn left and walk down to Fallsview Ave. Turn right and walk into the falls.

If you wish you can later turn back onto Douglas Avenue and walk down to and across the Reversing Falls Bridge and go down into the Fallsview Restaurant observation area.

I'll see what I can find out about the bears. Maybe the Hallmark Store in Brunswick Square ---but I will make a few calls.

I could not find a store uptown near the cruise docks that carries the Cherished Teddies.

However, I did call Carleton Cards at McAllister Place and the lady said they had a fairly good selection of them and that the Christmas ones had just arrived. You will have to take a cab---about a 10 to 15 min drive depending on traffic. If you check the google map, McAllister Place Mall is clearly marked at the intersection of McAllister Drive and Westmorland Road.

If you do some looking uptown I will list the stores I have checked so you won't have to waste time standing in line to ask there----Hallmark Cards, W.Smith Jewellers, Cowie's Jewellers and Hayward & Warwick.

Sapper1--I really appreciate your doing all that "footwork" for me on the Cherished Teddies. With any luck, we go to Halifax first, and I will find them there--I think it was in a Carlton Cards store. If you are indicative of the citizens of St. John, you must be wonderful people!:)

Thanks again.....

I forgot this one--do you know anyplace we can get our passports stamped? Certain places, if you arrive by ship, have a place to do this....otherwise I think we can leave with ship's purser and have it done!

Merci Beaucoup!

You can probably get it stamped at the Canada Customs building. I am a little slow in replying because although I know where they are, they do not list their address in the phone book--just a 1-800 number that we know will not be answered locally. I guess they want their location to be secret.:rolleyes: However, I was uptown this evening and I can tell you the exact address. It is 189 Prince William Street---just a couple of blocks off King Street. Actually if you are docked at Pugsley Terminal, from the ship, just look one street up the hill and you will see a cement block (large blocks) building that has "government" written all over it. That is to say, you would know it was a government building even if nobody told you.:D There is a Canadian flag flying from the roof. That is the Customs Building.

If I can't get it done in Halifax, I'll definitely check this out. As for the Carlton cards store, I mapquested it--almost 4 miles. I like to walk, but that is a bit much!--and I have no intentions of getting a cab. We're going to take that city bus to the Reversing Falls and the Bay. We booked this last minute very cheaply, and shouldn't have even done that, so I promised DH I would keep costs down and not go on expensive excursions!

If I can't get it done in Halifax, I'll definitely check this out. As for the Carlton cards store, I mapquested it--almost 4 miles. I like to walk, but that is a bit much!--and I have no intentions of getting a cab. We're going to take that city bus to the Reversing Falls and the Bay. We booked this last minute very cheaply, and shouldn't have even done that, so I promised DH I would keep costs down and not go on expensive excursions!

If you are taking the bus back from Reversing Falls - stay on that very same bus and it will take you right to the mall where Carlton Cards is - actually almost to the door where the store is located. A bus leaves the same location at the mall every 15 minutes to take you right back uptown to where your ship is - it's $2.25 per person (they'll take your $USD for the fare too). So simple, no chance of getting lost :)

I found 2 Carlton Cards in Halifax right near the dock, and I know one of them is where I got my Canadian Cherished Teddy last time. I can actually order these on line, but it's much more fun to know I bought the Canadian one in Canada. On a European trip last year, my brother and SIL brought me back 5 of the European Exclusives (I told them one or two, but they couldn't decide, and gave it to me as a gift).

Does the bus fare have to be in coins, or do they take US Dollar Bills and quarters?

One more question and I promise I will stop. I checked the tides for September 24 when we will be there. If I am reading right, High Tide is at 7:56 AM and Low Tide again at 2:10. So would somewhere a bit before 2:10 be a good time to watch the falls reverse out?

Thanks again.....

I found 2 Carlton Cards in Halifax right near the dock, and I know one of them is where I got my Canadian Cherished Teddy last time. I can actually order these on line, but it's much more fun to know I bought the Canadian one in Canada. On a European trip last year, my brother and SIL brought me back 5 of the European Exclusives (I told them one or two, but they couldn't decide, and gave it to me as a gift).

Does the bus fare have to be in coins, or do they take US Dollar Bills and quarters?

One more question and I promise I will stop. I checked the tides for September 24 when we will be there. If I am reading right, High Tide is at 7:56 AM and Low Tide again at 2:10. So would somewhere a bit before 2:10 be a good time to watch the falls reverse out?

Thanks again.....

Low tide is when you get the greatest rush of water emptying into the harbour and the greatest effect of the rapids. As the tide slowly rises the rapids going out become less intense. At a point about midway between low tide and high tide, the water levels in the harbour and the river become more or less even and it is possible for boats to pass through for about fifteen minute period. That period is called slack tide. After slack tide the inflow from the harbour to the river will start to become noticeable until at high tide you have the rapids flowing upriver at quite an intense rate. It all happens quite slowly and is not something that is readily apparent immediately after low tide. Sometimes my husband and I will have dinner at the Fallsview Restaurant and ask for a window table in the back room. Over the period of the dinner it is interesting to note the changes in the flow and watch the seals feeding in the current.

Re American coins-- They are accepted interchangeably with American coins in Canada. No premium is paid on coins as the banks do not deal in coinage. American bills are also accepted everywhere and you willl be paid a fair rate of exchange but get your change back in Canadian money.

Maybe Acey knows if the busses pay a premium, as the retail stores do. I have never been on a city bus so I don't know that for sure.

Don't worry about asking questions if you have any more--don't mind at all.

From what I'm reading, I think I understand that we need to be there within 1-1/2 hours of a tide change to see the reversing falls. Otherwise there really isn't much to see about them. Is this correct?

They are the most forceful at either high or low tide. The other day we were there on a falling tide shortly after slack and in the hour we were there you could certainly notice a difference in the rapids. Slack would be about halfway between high and low tides. It takes six hours from a high to a low. I prefer to view the falls from the park off Douglas avenue rather than at the restaurant viewing area on the other side of the bridge. When I say "park" I use the term loosely as I think the city could certainly do something to make the area more attractive.

We got a kick out of watching the jet boat take passengers through the rapids. There are other regular tour boats that take tourists up close and personal with the falls but stay out of the main current. It is the first time I have been there with cruise ships in town and couldn't believe the number of people there. Usually there are only a few others when we stop by.

Archived