Taxes and Port Charges for Alaska -- $$$$

kelmac

I'm the first to admit that Americans are cry babies when it comes to paying taxes. We want it all, but we want someone else to pay for it.

Having said that, does $391.88 in port charges, fees, and taxes sound kind of high for a seven day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle?? That's per person; so our $2,000 dollar cruise includes $783.76 in taxes, fees and port charges. Now, I know this includes the fuel surcharge and the new Alaskan cruise passenger tax, but it does seem a bit high.

I guess I don't mind subsidizing the good people of Alaska, I just wish my state would send me a bunch of money every year.:rolleyes: ;) :)

Kel

I just checked 3 online TA sites:

1) $163 p/p including the fuel surcharge.

2) $161.88 p/p and does not break out the fuel surchage.

3) 158.86p/p and does not break out the fuel surcharge.

Fasinating how this varies by agency.

I just checked the TA web site that I usually do and they are showing about $163 p/p including the fuel surcharge. This seems very low, too low, to me.

That is about right if you are not including the port charges/non-discountable amounts.

That DOES sound like a lot to pay in taxes/fees. *sigh* There seems to be no end in sight.

This is why we need to be careful when searching for cruise prices. Many online sites do not include these costs in the amount they initially show you. Only when you go through a real or mock booking process and get to the end do they reveal the actual cost of the cruise.

If I am not mistaken the NDA's on this trip are over $200 per person, the fuel would calculate to $35, the AK head tax is $50, and regular taxes would be about $75. That totals $360.

My invoice shows $161.88 in taxes per person.

Here's our breakdown per person for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Westerdam:

Cruise $ 448.00

Airfare $ 0.00

Fuel Suppliment-$5 Day/$70 Max $ 35.00

Insurance $ 0.00

Tax / Fees $ 350.19

PASSENGER TOTAL $ 833.19

So, the actual cruise is less than $100 more than taxes and fees. Crazy.

My invoice shows $161.88 in taxes per person.

Which would be correct if you add the $75 and the $50 and the $35. I was just breaking it down. What does the $161 include?

ok I just priced it as if I were going on an inside cabin on their site.

$899 per person (this includes my port charges of $230)

$126.88 are my taxes which are government and Ak head tax

$35 is my fuel cost.

So my total in taxes including the NDA/port charge is $391.88

Hope that helps. I am not trying to say you are wrong, but see where all the taxes are coming from.

Which would be correct if you add the $75 and the $50 and the $35. I was just breaking it down. What does the $161 include?

ok I just priced it as if I were going on an inside cabin on their site.

$899 per person (this includes my port charges of $230)

$126.88 are my taxes which are government and Ak head tax

$35 is my fuel cost.

So my total in taxes including the NDA/port charge is $391.88

Hope that helps. I am not trying to say you are wrong, but see where all the taxes are coming from.

Excellent angela256z!

Not the end of the world, but it's nice to see where it is all going. Looking forward to our Westerdam cruise in July.

Thanks again,

Kel:)

• 6 years later...

I think the Govt. makes more profit off of the cruises than the cruise lines do. I think we were quoted 180 for a 7 day out of seattle . However the cost of the cruise was only 500 or so. I think all travel taxes and fees should be a flat10% end of story. Heck thats what the Mafia charges why should the Govt be worse? ;)

Just checked each of our 2 cruises in just 21 days and we are being charged WAY LESS than you!!

Both weeks 5 July 2014 and 12 July 2014 on board Westerdam Seattle r/t are each listed with:

Government Fees & Taxes $191.87 (this is per person, per week)

So a total each week $383.74

And we are in an SB the first week and IF we do not get an up grade or up sell for the 2nd week we are in SS 6052.

For our May 2015 r/t Vancouver Alaska Cruises the 2 weeks are once again much less that yours at only $208.56 per person.....$417.12 total.......

Here is the copied portion that shows our breakdown for our 2nd week:

PRICING BREAKDOWN Currency: U.S. Dollars

Guest 1 Guest 2 Total Booking Total:

$2,640.87 $2,640.87 $5,281.74

Cruise/Tour Fare

$2,449.00 $2,449.00 $4,898.00

Government Fees & Taxes

$191.87 $191.87 $383.74

Booking Total:

$2,640.87 $2,640.87 $5,281.74

I do not think your taxes and fees have been added right....... Cannot understand the huge difference for yours.......

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Well don't I feel embarrassed:(

Thanks for pointing it out. It makes sense now about the mentioning of Fuel Surcharge by someone now...........

Joanie

Joanie

I wish I had posted this before you did all that work on fares. Interesting, though!!

Joanie

I wish I had posted this before you did all that work on fares. Interesting, though!!

I normally check the OP date, this time I did not.........I'm grateful that you did post when you did and not before because at least now we can see that there is a Tax/Port Fee decrease:)

OK time to get off the computer and finish packing:)

Joanie

I'm the first to admit that Americans are cry babies when it comes to paying taxes. We want it all, but we want someone else to pay for it.

Having said that, does $391.88 in port charges, fees, and taxes sound kind of high for a seven day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle?? That's per person; so our $2,000 dollar cruise includes $783.76 in taxes, fees and port charges. Now, I know this includes the fuel surcharge and the new Alaskan cruise passenger tax, but it does seem a bit high.

I guess I don't mind subsidizing the good people of Alaska, I just wish my state would send me a bunch of money every year.:rolleyes: ;) :)

Kel

Have our final bill for our Alaska trip in 2008, which included our Air fare, a week's land & the 7 day cruise..

The extra fee's total was: $313 per person ($626 for two) & listed on separate lines as:

Government fee & other taxes; Alaskan state tax; U.S. International Transportation tax; customs user fees; federal inspection fees; APHIS user fee; & finally Transportation Tax & Security fees..

Believe the APHIS fee has to do with agriculture & quarantine inspections, since it's handled by the USDA, but not quite sure..We also paid a fuel surcharge which was included in our cruise, land & sea price..

Looks like you are paying about 25% more in extra fees...

P.S. It's not 6 years later!!!

Edited by serendipity1499

This thread was started in 2008.

Whoops! Did not realize this thread is 6 years old, & not as relevant today..:o:o

But what is strange is that: The OP actually paid 25% more than we did

in 2008 for the extra taxes & fees.. :confused: But our fuel surcharge & port charges were built into our cruise & land fare.. They also listed our air on a separate line..

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to check is this correct  I am contemplating taking an Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle in August , this would be my Milestone free cruise with Oceania there are 10 ports of call including the start and finish.

They are asking for $3000 P.P this seems expressive ?? 

9 minutes ago, roger b said:

Just wanted to check is this correct  I am contemplating taking an Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle in August , this would be my Milestone free cruise with Oceania there are 10 ports of call including the start and finish.

They are asking for $3000 P.P this seems expressive ?? 

Our 14 day Alaska cruise, roundtrip out of Seattle, 9 ports, has port fees of $450pp.

Are you sure the $3000 is just port fees?

1 hour ago, cruisebie said:

Did you mean to post this on the HAL board? You should post this on the Oceania board or the Alaska port of call board.

Yes you are right it should be on Oceania Board  I have reposted