Problems while cruising, and compensation for them, or other complaints.

fllady61

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem on board and received a compensation notice from Carnival?

I have. We are getting a gift for the problems we encountered with a handicap cabin, and no access on Saturday and Friday after luggage was in the hallway as well as other complaints I had regarding access for handicap cruisers. ie.... no handicap reserved tables in the Lido restaurant. The safe battery dying on us and having to wait for the man to come and fix it. Room service people just barley tapping at the door and you could not hear them, and a few other complaints.

Also for the noise we had of construction on our only sleep in day on our last cruise that woke us at 8 am, we are receiving 25$ pp OBC.

Sorry, I know this is going to come across as sounding rather rude, but may I ask why you want to know what sort of "compensation" others may have received?

Will that affect whether you believe YOU have been fairly compensated for any problems you may have had?

If others have had different problems, should they receive the same compensation, or more, or less?

Like I said, I know this will come across the wrong way. I'm just curious why people want to know this sort of thing.

For the record (although I don't really think it's anyone else's business!), I received a 45-day letter and will receive $25 pp OBC on our next cruise.

When I wrote to Carnival, I wrote because I wanted to let them know my thoughts and to express my dismay that someone like our one tablemate (Alice) was abusing their generosity by finding as many things to complain about as possible. She would come to dinner and brag about the gift she received that day because of her long list of complaints.

I most definitely did not write to them hoping to receive anything. I just wanted to let them know what I enjoyed about that particular cruise as well as the couple of issues we had.

Congrats, I guess? I've not authored a complaint to date, but I have indeed received gifts (say, a bottle of wine) and whatnot onboard for minor issues in the past. I never requested these, and I don't expect them for any little inconvenience I might experience during the sailing. The problems you encountered don't sound much more serious than my missing socks and dry cleaning that arrived two days late, but if Carnival extends a good will gesture in these cases I suppose they retain a loyal customer for it.

Where were they doing construction at 8am on a ship, anyway?

Handicapped reserved tables? I always see lots of tables with chairs. Most people just take away one of the chairs if they need the space for a wheelchair. Is this what you mean? Did you need a table where you can pull up in your wheelchair?

Sorry I am not clear about this. What about the main dining room? Did you have the same issue there?

Our toliet did not work every morning. we had to call every day to have someone come and fix it. Some days it was the whole floor of the front of the ship. Also, problem with the satelite going down and being unable to use sign and sail.We were told it was our credit card.( we were not the only ones with this problem) We were able to go to the jewlry shop and purchase a $2000 ring because they were able to call it in. After many trips to the desk to inquire about S&S, we were told it was the satelite.

We received a bottle of wine delivered to stateroom and I received a letter a few weeks after I got home for $200 OBC for the next cruise in 18months.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem on board and received a compensation notice from Carnival?

I have. We are getting a gift for the problems we encountered with a handicap cabin, and no access on Saturday and Friday after luggage was in the hallway as well as other complaints I had regarding access for handicap cruisers. ie.... no handicap reserved tables in the Lido restaurant. The safe battery dying on us and having to wait for the man to come and fix it. Room service people just barley tapping at the door and you could not hear them, and a few other complaints.

Also for the noise we had of construction on our only sleep in day on our last cruise that woke us at 8 am, we are receiving 25$ pp OBC.

You can forgive me for what I am about to say or not, but I just have to say it. I noticed there are 3 of you STANDING in your picture. I assume only one of you is "handicapped". I get the distinct feeling that you believe because one of you is handicapped, the world owes you something. The world is suppose to stop revolving because you might get dizzy, and afterall you ARE handicapped. That's the impression you leave with me after complaining about the most rediculous things I have heard in a while! AND then bragging about it (my impression of your post) about getting a 25$ obc pp for in the future. Do you plan on complaining again in the future? The luggage is still going to be there, you will still have to simply remove one chair from any table at the lido buffet, or on the lido deck by the pool, and yes, batteries do die! Big deal. As far as room service just tapping? Would you rather they bang on the door like they are going to break it down? So all your neighbors can hear it too? Ridiculous!! You know you ordered the food, just listen for them to arrive!

There are a lot of people worse off than you, and yet they never complain. They go through the same things you had to deal with (and MUCH more) and never once figured the cruiseline owed them something. They deal with what they have been dealt, with an optmistic attitude, not a, you have to adjust your world to my needs attitude. Of course some adjustments need to happen to make sure physically challenged people are safe and having a good time too, but really your complaints have nothing to do with reality. Enjoy your 25 bucks.

This is my opinion, and I realize it won't be everyone elses, but it's mine and I will own it.

Handicapped reserved tables? I always see lots of tables with chairs. Most people just take away one of the chairs if they need the space for a wheelchair. Is this what you mean? Did you need a table where you can pull up in your wheelchair?

Sorry I am not clear about this. What about the main dining room? Did you have the same issue there?

This is just a couriosity thread. I was bored when i started it..... so that answeres poster #2 question.

as for this, most restaurants have special tables that are easily accessiable to get to in wheel chairs. I know McDonalds does anyway. The problem is that the tables that could ba accessable are utually taken up by someone who does not think that there may be someone in a wheel chair coming along. At times of day when we would go to the lido restaurant, most OPEN tables were way back in a tight area where a wheelchair would not go to. So thank goodness i was able to get up and walk to these tables. However, someone who is in a chair and can not get up would have to wait for a table they could get to.

The problem is most people do not think about what the handicap person is going through. they see everyone as being able to walk long distances, and squeeze between tables that are close together to get to a vacant table.

What erks me most is the fact that someone who is perfectly healthy, or a small child goes in the Handicap bathroom and the wheelchair person has to wait or go back to their cabin. That is just rude.

I was not only complaining for me, but for all those in wheelchairs. I was not expecting any compensation from it, but i got it. I just wanted them to know the situation.

NO i don't expect the world to stop turning for me. That photo at the top was taken before I got sick. When I could actually still walk miles at a time. But I had almost died 2 months later.

I too use to think like you till I had to start using the chair most of the time to just be able to walk even down to my local mall which is about 1/3 mile away. I use to be able to walk Wal-Mart, but not anymore.

Now i just think that people need to be in a chair for a week and see what those who must use a chair go through.

It is like when we were kids, wondering what the blind went through, oh but you probably never did that, because it did not affect your family first hand. We use to wonder what my uncle went through. So each of us took our turn at playing blind for about an hour. It changed the views I had toward the blind.

I am sorry I started this thread, but I think that you should put yourself in a handicap persons shoes and see what they go through.

"I too use to think like you till I had to start using the chair most of the time to just be able to walk even down to my local mall which is about 1/3 mile away. I use to be able to walk Wal-Mart, but not anymore."

So, you never gave a thought about people in wheelchairs until you became dependent on a chair, right?

I am sorry that you are in a wheelchair and had these problems. I know people that look perfectly healthy, but have heart, lung, joint or even cancer. They might need to take a table at the front of the Lido because they cannot...for unnoticable health reasons....be able to walk all the way to the back. But it is just as important for them to have a table that they can get to. A lot of the time our asumptions are not accurate.

"I too use to think like you till I had to start using the chair most of the time to just be able to walk even down to my local mall which is about 1/3 mile away. I use to be able to walk Wal-Mart, but not anymore."

So, you never gave a thought about people in wheelchairs until you became dependent on a chair, right?

I had thought about them, and would not sit where it said wheelchair accessable unless it was the only table avaiable. But once being in a chair, it is a different story. You see your own mistakes in how you handled things. In fact, on the ship, i prefer to sit where i can see the water, but it is not always possible.

My health problems depend on how active i have been some days, i can walk the ship with no problems, then there are days when it hurts me to walk from the cabin to the elevator.

i have lung problems that developed after having double blood clots in both upper and lower lungs on both sides at once. moments away from death when i got to the ER but only because we were on the road and we thought i had pnuemonia.

There are days i can not breathe at all without my inhaler, or nebulizer. And on those days, i can not walk or i will collaspe.

I am sorry that you are in a wheelchair and had these problems. I know people that look perfectly healthy, but have heart, lung, joint or even cancer. They might need to take a table at the front of the Lido because they cannot...for unnoticable health reasons....be able to walk all the way to the back. But it is just as important for them to have a table that they can get to. A lot of the time our asumptions are not accurate.

Thank you for your understanding.

We were headed to a table one day that was easily accessible, and these young kids ran in front of us and grabbed it. That is when we had to start hunting another table, and the one we found was way in the back by the desert rack where you could not get to with a wheelchair.

I'm always amazed at the rudeness of some of the posters on this board. The OP just started a "curiosity" thread....maybe those who are interested can answer and those who have "nasty issues" can find an anger management board to post on...:p

I always write a letter to Carnival after a cruise naming the superb crew by name so they get some well- deserved credit for the awesome job they do. Only once did I have issues that were fairly serious and affected the customer satisfaction of those I spoke to. I relayed that issue to Carnival in the hope that they'd address it. I was pleased with an OBC but not expecting anything except to have my issues looked at.

When I have a problem during a cruise....I want a resolution...not $$$. On my most recent cruise..I sent my evening shirts out for same day service....and I didn't see them for three days. I just washed the shirt that I had and hung it in the bathroom each night. It was a little wrinkled but I would rather be wrinkled on a cruise than neatly pressed at home. I did get my shirts and they didn't charge me but I didn't ask for anything !

I'm always amazed at the rudeness of some of the posters on this board. The OP just started a "curiosity" thread....maybe those who are interested can answer and those who have "nasty issues" can find an anger management board to post on...:p

I always write a letter to Carnival after a cruise naming the superb crew by name so they get some well- deserved credit for the awesome job they do. Only once did I have issues that were fairly serious and affected the customer satisfaction of those I spoke to. I relayed that issue to Carnival in the hope that they'd address it. I was pleased with an OBC but not expecting anything except to have my issues looked at.

I do that also with my PVP. If i have received exceptional service, i let them know. Not only on the comment card, but by email also. Our last 7 day cruise, the Bar waiter was wonderful. He knew what my Dd wanted and if he was on the deck she was and saw her without a drink, he would bring her one without hesitation.

I normally don't tip extra because the service was not what i expected. but that cruise, i actually gave the bar waiter, waiter, and asst waiter an extra tip. My waiter knew I wanted and needed the sugar free desert each night, and i never asked for it. and coffee as soon as I finished my entree.

Our last cruise was the first time I had ever met and talked with any of the matrede (spelling) on any cruise. So I tipped him because he got me some recipes before we left. I also tipped our room steward because of the job he did. koodos to him.

I usually just go on without a complaint, but the construction that woke us up early on our only sea day/sleep in day. that was awful. that is why i complained. I went to bed at 4 am and was woke up at 8. I was near grouch stage all day.

When I have a problem during a cruise....I want a resolution...not $$$. On my most recent cruise..I sent my evening shirts out for same day service....and I didn't see them for three days. I just washed the shirt that I had and hung it in the bathroom each night. It was a little wrinkled but I would rather be wrinkled on a cruise than neatly pressed at home. I did get my shirts and they didn't charge me but I didn't ask for anything !

That is awful. But I am glad you got your shirts back. Like i previously said, i did not expect compensation, and was surprised when the letter came stating the compensation.

The thing is we went to the pursers desk and complained about the construction, and they did not even know what was going on. The whole ship seemed surprised that this was going on. I just hope they found out what it was.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you had.. I dont understand what you meant by no access Friday and Saturday??

Dont listen to these people who are rude and nasty.. They are not walking in your shoes..

I am sorry to hear about the issues you had.. I dont understand what you meant by no access Friday and Saturday??

Dont listen to these people who are rude and nasty.. They are not walking in your shoes..

that was after luggage started being delivered on Saturday, and on Friday, people placing it in the hallway for pick up.

We were headed to a table one day that was easily accessible, and these young kids ran in front of us and grabbed it. That is when we had to start hunting another table, and the one we found was way in the back by the desert rack where you could not get to with a wheelchair.

What you should have done was asked the kids (politely, but firmly) if they could please find another table because you really needed that one for your wheel chair... most kids do not understand that they are causing a problem... kids tend to be a little self centered, but most would gladly move if asked to. At least that is my experience.

Now i just think that people need to be in a chair for a week and see what those who must use a chair go through.

It is like when we were kids, wondering what the blind went through, oh but you probably never did that, because it did not affect your family first hand. We use to wonder what my uncle went through. So each of us took our turn at playing blind for about an hour. It changed the views I had toward the blind.

I am sorry I started this thread, but I think that you should put yourself in a handicap persons shoes and see what they go through.

I have walked in your shoes.

As a matter of fact, I have been on a cruise with my sister while she was in a wheelchair. My mother and Father both used a wheelchair before they passed away, and I have a breathing problems as well. I also have done a day as a blind person in high school, so I understand that as well. That's why I have the right to say that there are people much worse off than you, and they never complain.

Rude and nasty? No just telling it the way it is. I get so tired of people thinking the world owes them something just because they got dealt a bum hand.

I was on a cruise once and I was sitting at a table at the buffet, a husband and wife joined us at the table where we were sitting. She was in a wheelchair, and noticeably really sick. I would guess she couldn't have been much older than 35 years old. After a while they told us they were there celebrating their anniversary, and she said it was her last hurrah. She had cancer. And it was clear to us that she was in the last stages of it. Her husband was so wonderful, taking care of her so well.

My point is, I don't think she once complained about a thing. I don't think not having a table especially for wheelchairs, a dead battery in the safe, or the luggage in the hallway would have bothered her in the least. She was a beautiful sole.

To answer the OP's question instead of bashing them (geez, some people:rolleyes: )...

Back in 2000 I sailed on the Sensation with my then boyfriend, now husband. We had a room steward who had a VERY bad habit of opening the cabin door at the MOST inconvenient times if you catch my drift. He did this MANY times, well over 10 on a 7 day cruise even after we told him to stop coming by alltogether. Nothing stopped him, not the do not disturb sign, not the lock on the other side of your door (he would just use his key to open), not us screaming "DO NOT COME IN!" I mean seriously, what a sick bastard!:eek:

Needless to say that I complained time and time again at the Pursers desk but he continued to do it until the last night on the ship. I never asked for a credit or compensation but I sure let them know how PISSED off I was!:mad:

Well, much to my surprise on the morning of debarkation I got our statement and it said $0 balance when we owed like $600+!:eek: I thought it was a mistake so I waited in yet ANOTHER long line at the Purser's Desk and the guy said, "Don't worry about it. We took care of it." Well, I wasn't going to argue and went on my merry way. It was a nice surprise! I don't know what happened to the world's most perverted cabin steward but I know he didn't get a single penny tip from me.

Here's hoping my next steward isn't quite so "excitable" this Friday.:o

My DMIL passed away 2/13/95 from lung cancer (never smoked a day in her life). She had 1 lung removed and had a hard time walking from the handicapped parking spot to the inside of the store to get to the wheelchairs. Many would judge her on looks alone, never knowing what a struggle it was to walk 50 ft!

What erks me most is the fact that someone who is perfectly healthy, or a small child goes in the Handicap bathroom and the wheelchair person has to wait or go back to their cabin. That is just rude.

The Handicap bathroom is not excusivly for a Handicap person. Where did you get this idea?

Seems like a very rude comment from you...

To answer the OP's question instead of bashing them (geez, some people:rolleyes: )...

Back in 2000 I sailed on the Sensation with my then boyfriend, now husband. We had a room steward who had a VERY bad habit of opening the cabin door at the MOST inconvenient times if you catch my drift. He did this MANY times, well over 10 on a 7 day cruise even after we told him to stop coming by alltogether. Nothing stopped him, not the do not disturb sign, not the lock on the other side of your door (he would just use his key to open), not us screaming "DO NOT COME IN!" I mean seriously, what a sick bastard!:eek:

Needless to say that I complained time and time again at the Pursers desk but he continued to do it until the last night on the ship. I never asked for a credit or compensation but I sure let them know how PISSED off I was!:mad:

Well, much to my surprise on the morning of debarkation I got our statement and it said $0 balance when we owed like $600+!:eek: I thought it was a mistake so I waited in yet ANOTHER long line at the Purser's Desk and the guy said, "Don't worry about it. We took care of it." Well, I wasn't going to argue and went on my merry way. It was a nice surprise! I don't know what happened to the world's most perverted cabin steward but I know he didn't get a single penny tip from me.

Here's hoping my next steward isn't quite so "excitable" this Friday.:o

Sounds like a cheaper way to avoid either a lawsuit or someone losing their job.. note to self: put chair against door!

I tend to agree somewhat with the other poster on this. The handicap restroom is there to accomodate your wheelchair. not to guarantee first seating...

what if there were another handicap person in the stall, you'd still have to wait

Archived