Problems while cruising, and compensation for them, or other complaints.

fllady61

don't listen to all the haters out there. i understand exactly what you are saying. my mother is in a wheelchair so i understand your plite. when we go somewhere i do like your husband i just keep pushing her along to another table rather than impose on someone else, it is just in my nature to not cause a scene or to upset someone else(i don't want to embaress my mother either)

now to answer your question

i was unhappy about the way the fuel surcharge was implemented, i booked in july for a may cruise, in nov i found out that was gonna be an extra 70 dollars since we were sailing after feb. i had talked to my pvp about it and she suggested i write a letter to carnival so i did(not expecting anything just wanted them to know how i felt) i also wanted to brag about my pvp because she is wonderful so i included that in the letter. we booked a bl gaurentee, someone from carnival called and thanked me for the letter and said that they would let my pvp know how happy i was about her and that they were gonna asign me a cabin that was cat. 8e on panorama deck just because they wanted to. i know there was a chance that i would have gotten that cabin anyway but they could have just ignored my letter all together, so it was a pleasant surprise.

keep sailing and don't let others ruin your time!!:D

What erks me most is the fact that someone who is perfectly healthy, or a small child goes in the Handicap bathroom and the wheelchair person has to wait or go back to their cabin. That is just rude.

So, because you're in a wheelchair you shouldn't have to wait your turn for the bathroom like anyone else? The Handicapped bathroom has special facilities to make it accessible for a wheelchair, it is not, nor has it ever been shown to me that it had to be immediately available. If I am next in line, I use whatever stall is available. If there were someone disabled in line, I would allow them to use the stall before I went into it. But why I should stand there holding it when there is an empty stall available and no one needs it????? It's not like a parking spot where someone could be in it for hours....

After my brother was in a severe accident, he was in a wheelchair for several monthes as part of his recovery. I was appalled at how badly people treated him (at a concert, someone actually climbed over him in the wheelchair to get in front of us) but we never expected anything extra. He did not want to sit in the wheelchair section because he would be separated from the rest of our party. It was a long slow climb for him to get to our seats and climb over people and he had to be assisted by a person on either side to walk and hold himself up. Then he wanted a beer - I told him no way. We weren't going to disrupt other people if he had to get up and go to the bathroom.

We had a room steward who had a VERY bad habit of opening the cabin door at the MOST inconvenient times if you catch my drift.

Well, much to my surprise on the morning of debarkation I got our statement and it said $0 balance when we owed like $600+!:eek: It was a nice surprise! I don't know what happened to the world's most perverted cabin steward but I know he didn't get a single penny tip from me.

Here's hoping my next steward isn't quite so "excitable" this Friday.:o

Heh, here's hoping that horny little steward is on my ship.... he can peep all he wants at this old lady if it means no onboard charges...lol

I only read a few of the posts and have to say something. First, I'm sorry you are handicapped and can sympathize with you. However, demanding a bathroom stall be available at all times is beyond selfish. Yes, it is the only one you can use and if you are in the restroom, then when it comes available in a crowded bathroom you should have priority if you are within the next five people in line. However, if there are 20 people ahead of you, sorry you can wait your turn like the rest of us walking old ladies that have bladder control issues. If there are no obvious handicapped people around, then why should anyone hold a table, cabin, potty or whatever open just in case one shows up?

Before you flame me - been in a wheelchair, have family members in them. We always have more patience and don't demand special treatment.

i was unhappy about the way the fuel surcharge was implemented, i booked in july for a may cruise, in nov i found out that was gonna be an extra 70 dollars since we were sailing after feb. i had talked to my pvp about it and she suggested i write a letter to carnival so i did(not expecting anything just wanted them to know how i felt) i also wanted to brag about my pvp because she is wonderful so i included that in the letter. we booked a bl gaurentee, someone from carnival called and thanked me for the letter and said that they would let my pvp know how happy i was about her and that they were gonna asign me a cabin that was cat. 8e on panorama deck just because they wanted to. i know there was a chance that i would have gotten that cabin anyway but they could have just ignored my letter all together, so it was a pleasant surprise.

keep sailing and don't let others ruin your time!!:D

Did you see where Carnival & RCL are giving back the fuel supplement $ they charged to those who booked before Nov 15th? So, you may get a great cabin AND your money back!

Did you see where Carnival & RCL are giving back the fuel supplement $ they charged to those who booked before Nov 15th? So, you may get a great cabin AND your money back!

I wonder if Celebrity will follow suit... aren't they owned by RCCL?

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem on board and received a compensation notice from Carnival?

I have. We are getting a gift for the problems we encountered with a handicap cabin, and no access on Saturday and Friday after luggage was in the hallway as well as other complaints I had regarding access for handicap cruisers. ie.... no handicap reserved tables in the Lido restaurant. The safe battery dying on us and having to wait for the man to come and fix it. Room service people just barley tapping at the door and you could not hear them, and a few other complaints.

Also for the noise we had of construction on our only sleep in day on our last cruise that woke us at 8 am, we are receiving 25$ pp OBC.

fllady61,

IMO Carnival should refund whatever future cruise deposits you have paid and cancel your bookings. You're too much of a liability.

"no access on Saturday and Friday after luggage was in the hallway "

...what does this mean?

my guess is, when the halls are filled with luggage it is difficult/impossible to maneuver a wheelchair

I think I should get some compensation too. I am 6'6 240lbs and the beds they offer on carnival do not accomodate a person of my size. My feet hang off the bed and that is unacceptable. Also the tables on the Lido deck do not provide enough clearance for my knees to comfortably fit under them. In the theatre for shows, there is not enough leg room under the little drink tables for my knees to fit also, so I am forced to sit on the upper level where the tables do not exist, they should give me the best seat in the house because of my height. While taking a shower, I have to crouch down so I can wash anything that is above my nipples. To the original OP, I am sorry you are in a wheelchair, but it is part of life that you have to deal with. I can go on and on about all the inconviences I have to deal with daily because I am tall, such as the back pain I have since I have to bend down to use things a "normal" person uses. If I see a person in a wheelchair, I try to assist them whenever I can. Do I think you should get special treatment such as better seating, or an unoccupied bathroom stall, absolutely not. If I go to the bathroom and the handicap stall is the only thing open, guess what I am going to use. You have to remember this is a ship, it is not made with only you in mind. You do not have the conveniences that you have while you are at home, none of us do. If you feel the cruise does not have enough handicap accessible locations, the only thing I can say is stay home or plan a trip to a destination more suitable to your needs.

Sorry, I know this is going to come across as sounding rather rude. . . .

Like I said, I know this will come across the wrong way. I'm just curious why people want to know this sort of thing.

It almost seems as though you answered your own question. Simple, harmless curiosity.

The Handicap bathroom is not excusivly for a Handicap person. Where did you get this idea?

Seems like a very rude comment from you...

You are absolutely correct that there was no exclusive use outlined in the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) in July 1990. The philosophy and letter of the law just created a requirement for what is known as "universal design". The idea is that a restroom or any other space should be usable by - that is, accessible to - everyone, including people with disabilities.

That being said, I have just personally adopted a decision that I'd not use those for myself, despite there being only a slim chance someone might enter during that same time who needed that extra space. Again, just a personal decision.

Did I find Penny's comment "very rude" or even a tiny bit rude?? Not at all.

I remembered earlier reading a post by Penny regarding concern about the location of the handicapped-accessible cabins. Seems they can be quite a distance from the elevators, and require passing lengths of narrow hallways. That caused an issue when luggage was put into the hallways on both sides after embarkation, and during the final evening. It was an eye-opening observation for me.

I made a call to someone who is on an ADA design committee for another cruise line, and asked about that situation. For them, it was something well past review, and already taken care of.

IMO Carnival should refund whatever future cruise deposits you have paid and cancel your bookings. You're too much of a liability.

I personally disagree with that sentiment.

Having been on one CCL sailing when OP (Penny) was onboard, I can say that she was so totally unselfish about trying to assist the other CruiseCritic members of the roll call -- prior to the sailing, during the cruise week, and also post-cruise. This was not someone displaying a Me Me Me personality. She's made some quality observations, and asked some personal curiosity questions. Some of the observations had errors, but they were definitely still quality.

What erks me most is the fact that someone who is perfectly healthy, or a small child goes in the Handicap bathroom and the wheelchair person has to wait or go back to their cabin. That is just rude.

Are you suggesting that if there are 4 stalls in the bathroom and one is labeled handicapped, a non-handicapped person should NEVER use it - just in case a handicapped person comes along?

If so, you are taking advantage of your disability.

DON

I don't get where all the anger is coming from. The poster asked a question. We don't know all that's involved nor the extent of the discomfort the person who is disabled went through. It feels like some of you enjoy assuming the worst about someone just to fire off a nasty email. So unnecessary and sad for such a fun and normally helpful forum about cruising.

-Peace

I personally disagree with that sentiment.

Having been on one CCL sailing when OP (Penny) was onboard, I can say that she was so totally unselfish about trying to assist the other CruiseCritic members of the roll call -- prior to the sailing, during the cruise week, and also post-cruise. This was not someone displaying a Me Me Me personality. She's made some quality observations, and asked some personal curiosity questions. Some of the observations had errors, but they were definitely still quality.

Don,

I have no personal experiece with Penny to draw upon. With that being said, I have never sat and wondered or thought about how I could be compensated for perceived misdeeds made by others. Contemplation coupled with previous examples of such actions, along with requests of advice from others on the same topic indicates a very high likelyhood of intent.

Would you feel different if the musings were made by your neighbor thinking of how he could sue you or get you to pay him money for nothing? That's how it comes across to me; money for nothing.

Are my thoughts and statements on the subject defaming to an individual? No. It is my opinion that when an individual exhibits characteristics such as these, they should be avoided.

Don,

I have no personal experiece with Penny to draw upon. With that being said, I have never sat and wondered or thought about how I could be compensated for perceived misdeeds made by others. Contemplation coupled with previous examples of such actions, along with requests of advice from others on the same topic indicates a very high likelyhood of intent.

Would you feel different if the musings were made by your neighbor thinking of how he could sue you or get you to pay him money for nothing? That's how it comes across to me; money for nothing.

Are my thoughts and statements on the subject defaming to an individual? No. It is my opinion that when an individual exhibits characteristics such as these, they should be avoided.

FIRST let me say that I am not looking for ways to get MONEY from Carnival.

SECOND I did not expect anything from my complaints. I just wanted to bring them to the attention of Carnival.

THIRD. Parents should tell their 4 yr old and older children NOT to use the stalls that are labled for Handicap, or set up for Handicap because I have seen some go into those and play for 20 min then come out. NOT just on CCL, but anywhere. And I don't expect everyone to stay out of them except handicap, but i should not have to wait in a long line because someone who is young and does not need it is using that stall when there are others avaiable. ie....2 little girls go in the handicap stall. when i come in, they are playing, laughing, and NOT using the tolite, just playing. then when they do decide to come out, the floor, tolite, walls, etc are a mess or soaking wet.

FOURTH. I did suggest to carnival a new design ship for future ships where the handicap rooms are all just off the elevators. so that you avoid the fact of luggage in the hallway.

I made that point for this reason. IF THERE WERE AN EMERGENCY ON LUGGAGE DAYS. SOMEONE WHO IS TOTALLY UNABLE TO GET AROUND ON THEIR OWN TWO FEET WOULD BE UNABLE TO DO SO IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY.

that is my point.

I am not nor have I ever been a ME ME ME person. I have given up a nice place to set when I was able to a less fortunate person.

Do you think I like not being able to get around on my own? Well, guess again. I hate the fact that I have to have my DH or DD push me around in the chair. But I try to walk when I can. Only certain days do I need to use the chair.

FIRST let me say that I am not looking for ways to get MONEY from Carnival.

SECOND I did not expect anything from my complaints. I just wanted to bring them to the attention of Carnival.

THIRD. Parents should tell their 4 yr old and older children NOT to use the stalls that are labled for Handicap, or set up for Handicap because I have seen some go into those and play for 20 min then come out. NOT just on CCL, but anywhere. And I don't expect everyone to stay out of them except handicap, but i should not have to wait in a long line because someone who is young and does not need it is using that stall when there are others avaiable. ie....2 little girls go in the handicap stall. when i come in, they are playing, laughing, and NOT using the tolite, just playing. then when they do decide to come out, the floor, tolite, walls, etc are a mess or soaking wet.

FOURTH. I did suggest to carnival a new design ship for future ships where the handicap rooms are all just off the elevators. so that you avoid the fact of luggage in the hallway.

I made that point for this reason. IF THERE WERE AN EMERGENCY ON LUGGAGE DAYS. SOMEONE WHO IS TOTALLY UNABLE TO GET AROUND ON THEIR OWN TWO FEET WOULD BE UNABLE TO DO SO IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY.

that is my point.

I am not nor have I ever been a ME ME ME person. I have given up a nice place to set when I was able to a less fortunate person.

Do you think I like not being able to get around on my own? Well, guess again. I hate the fact that I have to have my DH or DD push me around in the chair. But I try to walk when I can. Only certain days do I need to use the chair.

fllady61

You titled the thread '....and compensation for them...' If you aren't looking for money, then you are looking for other forms of compensation.

You may not have expected anything from your complaints.

So you think the children should play in the non handicapped stalls? Hmm. Wouldn't that make the non handicapped people spend more time in the handicapped stalls? Parents should not let their kids play in the bathroom period. Handicapped stall or not. Your point is moot.

Carnival should design a ship just for the handicapped? OK. I have no problem with that notion. :)

On days the luggage is in the hall, non handicapped folks would be EQUALLY impacted in terms of getting them out on a stretcher during an emergency so what's your point?

I have no question that you would prefer not to be in the situation you are. I thank God that I am not in your shoes. Perhaps you did not mean to convey a request for other's experiences in being compensated for complaining; but the fact is that is what you stated and that is how you began this thread.

FIRST... let me say that I am not looking for ways to get MONEY from Carnival.

THIRD... Parents should tell their 4 yr old and older children NOT to use the stalls that are labled for Handicap

FOURTH...IF THERE WERE AN EMERGENCY ON LUGGAGE DAYS. SOMEONE WHO IS TOTALLY UNABLE TO GET AROUND ON THEIR OWN TWO FEET WOULD BE UNABLE TO DO SO IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY.

Do you think I like not being able to get around on my own? Well, guess again. I hate the fact that I have to have my DH or DD push me around in the chair.

I've had a lifetime of involvement with disabilities in one form or another, so I do empathize with your experiences.

I think your Fourth point about hallways being inaccessable in an emergency is valid, and I hope Carnival responds to that. It sounds from others as though that might be possible without restructuring a ship.

As far as your Third point about parents teaching their children...good luck with that no matter what the topic :rolleyes: And I do expect to wait to use the handicapped bathroom stall when someone I'm with needs it. As has been said, it's not a parking spot.

Please understand that, as far as your First point, I also had that misimpression, as you opened your post asking about compensation. Maybe that explains some of the misunderstanding here.

I guess in similar circumstances, I'd be hoping for assistance to fix the problems while I was still on board, rather than compensation after the fact. Batteries do die, ours did, they fixed it - twice ;). Lido staff can help with seating if given the opportunity to. Room service staff can respond to special requests placed with the room service manager. And I'm not sure 8AM is an unreasonable time to begin construction. Granted, I wouldn't want it to be going on over my head.

Finally, it sounds as though you have some perfectly understandable issues with integrating your new disability with the world around you. This is a message board - doesn't look like you're likely to find help with that here :). But I do hope that you find it in the rest of your world. Keep cruising. Maybe I'll see you on the Lido deck. I'll help you find a table. :) But it's every girl for herself at the bathroom, baby :p :D

I am sorry i did not think what I said the first post and how I said it through that well. Maybe if I would have added that sentence NOT expecting but received, it would have made more sense.

And as I stated I was just courious. NOT wanting to use others complaints on my next cruise.

I pray that those who complain about people who are handicap having complaints never get in my position. And if they do, I hope they find it in their hearts to those who complained before them.

I am sorry i did not think what I said the first post and how I said it through that well. Maybe if I would have added that sentence NOT expecting but received, it would have made more sense.

And as I stated I was just courious. NOT wanting to use others complaints on my next cruise.

I challenge all of you to get a wheelchair and try to go down the hallway when

the luggage is out. without getting up. Let's say about 8pm before they start

picking it up. Then come back and tell me how easy it is to manuver through

the hall ways.

fllady61,

Challenge accepted!

We'll both win for sure! (We'll be on a cruise so how could either of us lose?);) :D

We had the worst service in the dining room on the triumph in April 06! So bad that he brought us a meal (really late) that was not even ours, set it down... left, came back we told him it was not ours and saw him take it to another table!!!! Plus the baked alaskan night he did not even ask if we wanted it (although we did) and as we watched all the other servers show it off and let people take pictures... and eat it and leave... he finally plopped it in front of us! Those are the two biggies that forced us to cut his tip to a dollar a day (KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO THAT!) We love to dress up and eat in the dining room every night and that was a HUGE disappointment!

Not to mention when we arrived to our stateroom that cruise it was set up as two twins! Really?! I would think for past guests and all cruisers they would get details like that right the first time!

I got back and wrote a letter to carnival and all I got back was a generic "we will look into that!"

Obviously I am back on Carnival for the fact that is how we can afford 4 cruises in three years as a young couple.... however we are still paying good money and service is a huge thing on all cruise lines!!!

So long story short! Carnival did nothing!

We had the worst service in the dining room on the triumph in April 06! So bad that he brought us a meal (really late) that was not even ours, set it down... left, came back we told him it was not ours and saw him take it to another table!!!! Plus the baked alaskan night he did not even ask if we wanted it (although we did) and as we watched all the other servers show it off and let people take pictures... and eat it and leave... he finally plopped it in front of us! Those are the two biggies that forced us to cut his tip to a dollar a day (KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO THAT!) We love to dress up and eat in the dining room every night and that was a HUGE disappointment!

Not to mention when we arrived to our stateroom that cruise it was set up as two twins! Really?! I would think for past guests and all cruisers they would get details like that right the first time!

I got back and wrote a letter to carnival and all I got back was a generic "we will look into that!"

Obviously I am back on Carnival for the fact that is how we can afford 4 cruises in three years as a young couple.... however we are still paying good money and service is a huge thing on all cruise lines!!!

So long story short! Carnival did nothing!

We did not care for the Dining room service on our second cruise, but we did not know that we missed a lot that trip. It was not our waiter, it was our bar waiter. we saw her 2 times during our 2 hour dinner experience. we were almost done eating before she even brought our DD soda to her. I think she had too big an area to deal with, or was covering for someone else as well. I think we ate 2 night maybe 3 in the main dining room. Others we ate at the Lido deck. NOW, we eat in the dining room nightly because we like the different varieity of foods.

glad you did not give up on Carnival. That situation would have made me mad also. Our waiter did not just bring the deserts to us without asking us, he actually had to talk me into the desert on baked alaska night. i had decided i did not want a desert that night, but he was convincing, and i took it.

Anyone, child, teen, adult.. that "plays" for 20 minutes in a public restroom is HANDICAPPED in my opinion

Perhaps they just needed to use the facilities longer...

The handicapp stalls are there for a convience and accomodation to wheelchairs and HC persons.. not exclusively to those who are HC

Archived