Another idea to protect your purse

RachieLnnn

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone else saw this segment on a morning news show, but this looks like a great item.

You can use it to secure the zipper on your purse as well as to secure your purse to a chair, grocery cart, etc.

I thought it might come in handy on a cruise in certain ports! Does anyone own this item? I'm thinking of purchasing one...

http://www.perslock.com

RachieLnnn,

Thanks for the post. Looks like an interesting product.

How does it lock the zipper? It really doesn't "lock" does it? It looks like it just makes it more difficult for someone to quickly open the zipper, grab wallet/money and then run. Right?

It does look very interesting....if I didn't need to be so fashionable I guess I could get a regular old key ring and run it from the zipper around the strap...for about $1...lol. The truth is, if they want it badly enough it is usually a "slash and grab" and none of these items will be of much help. Save your $55.

I've had my wallet lifted twice and it wasn't "slash and grab" it was flat-out pickpocketing! However, I think there are better (cheaper) alternatives than this. Someone I read recently on these boards uses a large safety pin to "lock" zippers together (I guess she has a dual-zippered bag) to help prevent pickpockets.

Or....just do as I do now and keep most of your money and credit cards in a money belt or pouch.

For men or women that keep a wallet in your pocket, wrap a thick rubber band around the wallet , then the wallet can't be pulled out of the pocket easily, it sticks. DH always does this and carrys only minimum in the wallet also. So far it has worked.

Cori

I've had my wallet lifted twice and it wasn't "slash and grab" it was flat-out pickpocketing! However, I think there are better (cheaper) alternatives than this. Someone I read recently on these boards uses a large safety pin to "lock" zippers together (I guess she has a dual-zippered bag) to help prevent pickpockets.

Or....just do as I do now and keep most of your money and credit cards in a money belt or pouch.

The Pacsafe wallets and purses are supposed to have pick-proof clasps on them too... but I suppose for every device that gets invented, there will be criminals working on ways to get around it.

I've used the safety pin idea too. In fact, horse blanket pins (they look like huge, thick diaper pins) are really good for "locking" zippers on luggage when you don't want to use a combination or key lock. :)

Jane,

From the segment on the show, I think they showed a purse with a dual zipper, and they locked them together. Otherwise, you're right, I'm not sure exactly how it works.

I am definitely a proponent that you must remain vigilant about your surroundings, and that things can still happen even if you own an item like this. :) I think it's a neat idea and I like how the solution looks fashionable.

I think the story really stuck with me because the business was started by two best friends, and it talked about how they really worked well together, had an idea, made a sample, patented it, and "went for it." It was very inspiring! :D

A thief will get my bag when he pries it out of my cold dead hands.

Seriously.

LOL !! I hear you sista!!:)

Neat little idea and I like the aspect of securing to your grocery cart but yes how do you lock the zipper..Besides I'm into simplifying lately and it would just be another item to keep track of...But thanks for the neat info Rachielnnn.

It looks like a keychain, just a fancy one. Besides, won't it cause more of a scene when you tried to pay for something? I remember when I was in Europe, somebody carried all their money in a money belt, and every time they wanted to pay for something, they would pull out the money belt. Seemed very... odd to me.

Honestly, what I do is to keep the zipper facing front, and then I hold onto the zipper and purse strap with the hand on that side. This way, I can hold onto my bag so if they cut it at the strap, I'd still be holding it and they wouldn't be able to take it. The last thing a pickpocketer wants is for you to notice and cause a scene. That's why they do it very quickly and discreetly.

One time someone tried to pick my pocket in a parking lot, and I yelled,

"LET GO OF MY BUTT, YOU A**H**E!" at the top of my lungs.

You never saw anyone leave so fast... needless to say he didn't try to pick any more pockets in the immediate vicinity...

;)

One time someone tried to pick my pocket in a parking lot, and I yelled,

"LET GO OF MY BUTT, YOU A**H**E!" at the top of my lungs.

You never saw anyone leave so fast... needless to say he didn't try to pick any more pockets in the immediate vicinity...

;)

Houndmom..Everybody is yelling that in Rome...they'd just ignore you!!:D

Just keep your wits about you! And don't carry everything you own in your purse!!!! Leave some cash and credit card on the ship, in the safe! Only carry what you need! It'll be fine.

You really do have an answer for everything, don't you?:confused:

Some posts are so fun to read...others I always dread....:rolleyes:

Ho hum...and lighten up Francis..

I usually carry a small personal alarm in the pocket of my bag/purse and fasten the other end of the cord to my clothing. If someone snatches the bag/purse, the pin will be pulled out of the alarm which will set off a 140db siren, attracting attention to the thief who won't be able to shut the darn thing off. He'll have to rummage through the pockets of the bag before disposing of the shrieking alarm.

SER012_lrg.jpg

Carolanddean, wouldn't hte pin come out if say you put your bag down somewhere, say in a restroom or something? Or what if you got caught on the cord and then pulled it out? Knowing me, I would start futzing with the string and then it would get pulled out, and the alarm would go off. Definitly not for me.

Shorts or pants with cargo pockets are great for holding essentials, like credit cards.

The bag I may take this time around, has inner zippers, and a flap folds over those and clicks shut. I have had it for years...and finally seemed to notice it. I should've taken it last time around.

If a thief wants it bad enough they will get it--hence why I love my cargo shorts. I would definitely notice someone trying to get into my shorts. :D

Carolanddean, wouldn't the pin come out if say you put your bag down somewhere, say in a restroom or something? Or what if you got caught on the cord and then pulled it out? Knowing me, I would start futzing with the string and then it would get pulled out, and the alarm would go off. Definitly not for me.

LOL! This did happen to me just once a couple of years ago when I went to try on clothing in Marks and Spencer and forgot I had the cord attached to my jeans. I was so embarrassed. :D However after that incident I'm more aware of it and it's not happened again since :)

I normally wear the strap of my bag/purse across my body which means I rarely have to remove it, unless I want to try something on.

I never ever put my bag down in a restroom as I've heard stories of opportunist thieves reaching under the door and grabbing bags. If you're in mid-flow, the thief is long gone once you've re-adjusted your clothing to run after them. :eek:

Hi silly question and I understand the need to protect your purse or cards etc. I'll be using the pacsafe across the body little purse..but on the ship if you only need your sign and sail..how do you carry that around..or do you still need a purse, and what about formal night do you carry a purse then..I really don't know what to do with the sign and sail card..what do you do..thanks

Archived