#1 Benefit of Solo Cruising

sammynobrains

OK this is my very first post...I don't know if I am a single cruiser or a solo cruiser...but I am taking my very first cruise...alone in October on the Crystal Serenity. It leaves from Barcelona and has a golf theme which I think will help me meet people.

I am a 52 year old recent widow. I have always wanted to take a cruise and I thought if I waited until I found someone who wanted to go where I did when I did...well I would still be waiting..

I haven't quite figured out how you all get all those cute little boxes and countdowns..but I I thrilled to be here and picking up info from all of you.

Karen

single and solo

first cruise

Crystal Serenity 8326

Karen, please be sure to post on the Crystal board and let everyone there know about your cruise. I did my first Crystal cruise this past November as a solo and made several friends on the board before the ship sailed. You are going to LOVE Crystal, but you'll be spoiled for anyother cruise line after your Crystal experience.

Patty

Where there any "uncomfortable" or lonely situations?

Yeah, showing up for dinner, only to discover that all your tablemates had changed to an early sitting, leaving you all alone for the remainder of the cruise. So I went to talk to the resturant manager and they moved me around a few times to get a stable group.

Rod

Also, I love being able to walk into a bar (only on a cruise ship) by myself and not feel out of place - or, feel like a floozy. Rarely do I ever go to a bar by myself on dry land - and, on those rare occasions, I'm in a upscale hotel, and even then, it's just a drink in the lobby bar.

Really? I do it all the time. Of course I go to a bar that has great burgers so initially it was for the food. Then I got to know the bartenders and waitresses AND since it is a sports bar and I like sports so I can look like I am not there for alterior motives.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everyone's comments so far. A couple more benefits about cruising alone...

1) You don't have to talk to anyone from home for the whole week ("sorry mom, my cell phone doesn't work while at sea")

2) You really get to know yourself when you are on your own in a foreign country. I do all kinds of things alone here in my city that I know very well, but it was different being in San Juan or Aruba alone. It was very empowering!! :)

Hi all. I'm gonna be cruising solo in less than 4 weeks. Best thing about solo, besides what everyone else has mentioned is that I don't have to hear my kids' "we're bored" my boss's "I need this right away" and my friend's "my life stinks". The whole point of going solo for me is to completely pamper myself - if I want to sleep in I can, if I want to explore a port, if I want a snack at 4 am I can do that too. Yay! Gonna be a blast!

I must have missed this thread;)

Cruising solo for the past 5 years:D...been my best vacations

EVER!

The best thing about it? Quite a few answers that have already

been posted. Doing what I want, when I want is a major factor

of what makes it so good.

I also have not had a partner in many, many years so sailing

with someone from home is not in the equation for me and that

is just fine:)!

In 18 cruises I have shared a cabin twice.....they were ok

but not sure I would do it again. I don't want to say NEVER but

99% sure LOL

As for the separate cabin thing, that would work as I just

returned from a 10 nighter for my 50th birthday:). I have

a friend who lives in Vancouver (met through these boards)

and he flew all the way east to sail together and help me

celebrate! We sailed out of San Juan.

We had separate cabins but shared a dinner table and were

never tied to the hip. We have both always enjoyed cruising

solo (his partner is not really into cruising too much).

Actually our cabins were on different decks too.

We did a couple of excursions together but did alot of stuff

on our own.

It really worked out great....and I think I get along better

with guys than gals sometimes too LOL

Anyway, I am going to Alaska in September (solo of course):D

I took my first solo cruise last month, and loved it. Other than being able to do exactly what *I* wanted, all the time, I discovered the #1 benefit of solo cruising:

Prime Deck Chairs!

Do you know how hard it is to find two deck chairs together on a day at sea in the Caribbean? And one near the band or the pool? Forget about it. But, when you're seeking only one chair, there are tons of choices.

What's your favorite benefit of cruising solo?

I'll be able to discuss it more clearly after I return from my first solo cruise to Alaska Aug 29 08, I can't wait to experience this journey. My last cruise sharing a cabin with my friend was a horror. I was walking on egg shells. I did my own thing during the day and had dinner with her and a group of other people at night. I will never share a cabin again with anyone. I would like however eat with someone, that is the most difficult.. eating alone!

I prefer cool weather cruises--Alaska, PNW, NY/Canada. When I plan my own trip there is no one trying to talk me in to cruising out of Florida. Also, working in academia, I tend to cruise May/June and I look at cruises to Mexico or SA over the Xmas/New Years holidays.

Cruising solo there's not the back and forth with someone else. And, quite honestly, I'm not the most independent traveller in the world but cruising solo is so easy. All one needs to do is show up.

Faith

One of the best things for me about solo cruising is just getting away from it all and being pampered. Also the other perks too of doing what I want when I want. I have always been that way. The long showers and bubble baths,

I am spoiled for a balcony though, and if I want to get up in the middle of the night and sit out there and look at the stars and listen to the sounds of the oceans I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else.

I have shared cabins in the past but like most of you prefer one to myself.

I totally agree with you. I wish I could afford a balcony without having to share. I've been known to get up at 2:00 a.m., put on my sweats, and go out and watch the stars. The best stars were in Alaska.

• 1 month later...
I just got back from my first solo cruise. I think I have started something here....can't wait for my next. I did meet a couple other ladies in the embarkation line and we ended up spending most of the time together at the pool and dinner....so, I don't know if I can still classify it as a "solo" cruise.

However, I did have a revelation the first night.....I can use ALL the towels if I want!!!

I am going on my first cruise in Sept 2008 to Baja on Carnival. I have never been on a cruise before and am a little bit worried about being by myself. I do have a question however, I am not a drinker and had heard about "party ships" so has any one had a problem with drunken parties and not being able to sleep or feeling out of place? Am I making sense? Hopefully I am. Thanks in advance.. BTW I am so jazzed about this trip that I have already started buy stuff for this trip!!:D

Cindy

I am going on my first cruise in Sept 2008 to Baja on Carnival. I have never been on a cruise before and am a little bit worried about being by myself. I do have a question however, I am not a drinker and had heard about "party ships" so has any one had a problem with drunken parties and not being able to sleep or feeling out of place? Am I making sense? Hopefully I am. Thanks in advance.. BTW I am so jazzed about this trip that I have already started buy stuff for this trip!!:D

Cindy

Four cruises no problem with drunken parties or not being able to sleep in my cabin. I haven't felt out of place being on my own but wasn't always entirely welcome at times b/c I'm a single woman. Fortunately, there are tons of folks on a ship so the few that are uncomfortable with a single woman around are outnumbered by those who are welcoming to all!

You'll have a great time! Be careful buying stuff, you'll have to pack it!:D

Four cruises no problem with drunken parties or not being able to sleep in my cabin. I haven't felt out of place being on my own but wasn't always entirely welcome at times b/c I'm a single woman. Fortunately, there are tons of folks on a ship so the few that are uncomfortable with a single woman around are outnumbered by those who are welcoming to all!

You'll have a great time! Be careful buying stuff, you'll have to pack it!:D

Thanks for your response and assurances. I will be careful about what I buy but is it to early to start packing?? LOL :D

Cindy

Cindy, It is difficult to tell if I'm coming or going b/c I never fully unpack my suitcase, LOL. There are things I use only on a cruise that I leave in the suitcase. Otherwise I wait until a day or so before to pack. But for my first cruise I started trying on clothing for fit, packing, unpacking (LOL), and generally driving myself crazy about 2-3 weeks before the cruise. Enjoy!

Cindy, It is difficult to tell if I'm coming or going b/c I never fully unpack my suitcase, LOL. There are things I use only on a cruise that I leave in the suitcase. Otherwise I wait until a day or so before to pack. But for my first cruise I started trying on clothing for fit, packing, unpacking (LOL), and generally driving myself crazy about 2-3 weeks before the cruise. Enjoy!

Thanks, That is exactly what I am doing. I am looking for a bathing suit now because it is gonna be pretty hard to find one in Sept. I also looking for things I will need for the cruise. Right now they are sitting on the table so every time I see them I get excited!! Not that that is hard for me to do LOL:D That is a good idea, I am going to put the things that are just for the cruise in my suitcase so I will know where they are when I get ready to pack--sometime next week (just kidding well sort of)

Another question, when the ship is tethered, does the boat that takes you to shore, sit there and wait for people to come back or how does that work??? Second question, I assume there are many cruise ships in port at the same time, how do you know which boat you need to get on to come back to the ship?

Thanks

Cindy

Hi Cindy:)

The Tender boats for the ships? You will know where to pick

it up to get back....most of the tenders have the ship's name

on them and when you arrive at the dock there are always

Cruise Employee's there to help with the tenders too.

They usually run the tenders most of the day since they

know people are always going to shore and then needed to

go back to the ship.

They will tell you when the last tender will be and you

can plan your day accordingly:)

Hi Cindy:)

The Tender boats for the ships? You will know where to pick

it up to get back....most of the tenders have the ship's name

on them and when you arrive at the dock there are always

Cruise Employee's there to help with the tenders too.

They usually run the tenders most of the day since they

know people are always going to shore and then needed to

go back to the ship.

They will tell you when the last tender will be and you

can plan your day accordingly:)

Lois, thanks yes that was exactly what I meant. I figured but I thought I should not "assume" and ask the question.

Cindy

• 1 month later...

Dining is the biggest challenge for me also. On my first solo cruise last January I ate in the "freestyle" type dining room twice at a table for two, and in all honesty felt uncomfortable. I ended up eating at the buffet the other nights. Even though I was still alone, it felt more comfortable to me. However, by doing that I missed out on the great food and atmosphere in the dining room, as well as meeting other people.

On my upcoming cruises in January 2009 I have asked for an assigned table in traditional dining, with other solo cruisers if there are any. I'll check with the maitre-d (sp?) after boarding and see where they've got me seated. If I don't like the sounds of it, I can ask to be moved. Or, worst case scenario, go back to the good ole buffet.

Like other posters have said, it seems like, solo or not, wherever you go on a cruise ship someone starts a conversation. Most people are so nice.

Loved reading this thread! I seem to split my time between the dining room, buffet and supper club. On the shore days, I usually eat in the buffet, it's just more convenient time wise. I have no problem eating by myself and I have to say I received excellent service in the supper clubs. In fact, they treated me so well I felt like a princess.

The only negative experience I had was last year on Liberty in the buffet area. I had a table to myself and beside me at the next table was a group of 4 women. One of the women who appeared to be around 60-70 years old proceeded to put her dirty dishes on my table after she finished eating but while I was still obviously eating my dinner :mad:. Needless to say but I will anyways, I was flabbergasted. I'm not one to sit silently by when I feel someone has done something so flagrantly improper towards me. I quietly stood up, picked up her plates and placed them back in front of her and informed her in a sweet but firm voice that I considered her to be extremely rude and that perhaps she should take some time to learn some manners if was to continue to eat with other human beings before someone chose to put her plate on her head. Then I sat back down to happily finish my meal watching her tablemate trying to hold back a giggle. She didn't say another word to anyone at the table and they left shortly after.

This was an isolated incident and in no way affected my cruise. In fact I met many other wonderful people thoughout the cruise. I have absolutely loved my solo cruises and hope to have many more in the future.

I'm not one to sit silently by when I feel someone has done something so flagrantly improper towards me. I quietly stood up, picked up her plates and placed them back in front of her and informed her in a sweet but firm voice that I considered her to be extremely rude and that perhaps she should take some time to learn some manners if was to continue to eat with other human beings before someone chose to put her plate on her head. Then I sat back down to happily finish my meal watching her tablemate trying to hold back a giggle. She didn't say another word to anyone at the table and they left shortly after.

Wow, excellent job at taking a stand!

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, it's also the main benefit of being unmarried!

I know Seabourn is a line that tends to be a little more expensive, but I want to put this out there for all you solo travelers who are uncomfortable in dining situations (as I am). One of the reasons I sail exclusively on Seabourn is that, every single night on my cabin door, there will be a printed invitation to a hosted table in the dining room. Either an officer, or an entertainer, or some other staff member will host a table of 8. On my last Seabourn cruise, I was on 14 nights and had 14 invitations. You meet so many nice people (and different people most of the evenings), and I always felt confident walking into the dining room knowing there was a table (and placecard!) waiting for me. One of the benefits of this truly wonderful cruise line.

Jane :rolleyes:

I appreciate the info...I am a new widow taking my first cruise in October on Crystal..I will look into future Seabourn trips. I am going alone because I do want to meet new people...my life is full of couples now.

Archived