Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Dialemic

Well here I was almost a week away from my cruise on the VOS. I came across and intresting thing after reading about that lady that died from the stingray today. Now I know this is totally not related to that but I have a few questions for you veterans...

1. Has anyone ever witnessed a stingray accident while in Grand Cayman??

2. Is their jelly fish in 7mile? Or at least the populated beach area??

Any input or extra input would be most appreciated. Non of these answers will affect me going, I would just like to know where to avoid and such.

Thanks!

Aric

Never seen an accident caused by a Sting Ray in Cayman. We used Capt Marvin for our tours and can't say enough good things about the experience.

I don't have any idea regarding jelly fish at 7 mile.

We were in GC in late April--no jellyfish then.

There sure are more and more stingray incidents, tho, aren't there? You know, I grew up at the Chesapeake Bay, and stingrays were to be avoided at all times! There were tons of them in the shallow waters of the bay, and parents would be diligent about keeping their kids away from them---they don't necessarily "attack", but they can be defensive, if intruded upon, just like any creature!

If you've never seen them, I'm guessing it'll be a "rush", but I've been there, done that (in the wild) and I can assure you, I wouldn't PAY for the experience!

We have done the stingrays twice in Grand Cayman. It is an absolute fantastic experiece. They will swim right up to you and go between your legs, and you can touch them without worry. Your guide will tell you shuffle your feet rather than stepping. Stingrays will only attack if they are threatened, because they can only use their barb once. These rays know you are there to feed them not hurt them.

Go and really enjoy that excusion.

I just heard about that on the radio, and the report that *I* heard said specifically that the woman was killed NOT by the sting ray's barb, but by the sheet weight of the thing landing on her.

In other words, the fact that it was a STING RAY was actually irrelevant. You are not going to be killed by a stingray at Stingray City or the Sandbar.

I just heard about that on the radio, and the report that *I* heard said specifically that the woman was killed NOT by the sting ray's barb, but by the sheet weight of the thing landing on her.

In other words, the fact that it was a STING RAY was actually irrelevant. You are not going to be killed by a stingray at Stingray City or the Sandbar.

Im not worried about dying or anything, nor am I going on the stingray adventure. I just wanna go to 7 mile and snorkel. I just didnt know if they are around the shallow areas and such. The stingray thing just got me wondering how many accident if anyone has seen them and such.

Don't worry about freak accidents. Enjoy your life and treasure each moment you have

Until you get a huge barb going into one part of your ankle and out the other while all the salt water gets in it and your screaming but the natives think your doing the moonwalk down 7mile and someone finally catches the hint and come to aid you when you kill the stingray and snap the barb only to find out its illegal and your stuck in jail with some guy named Julio and he wants to become bunk buddies but when you tell the officer you need medical attention, he laughs and sticks you back of the cop car as you profusely bleed and then you die. Sounds alright to me! :D

Until you get a huge barb going into one part of your ankle and out the other while all the salt water gets in it and your screaming but the natives think your doing the moonwalk down 7mile and someone finally catches the hint and come to aid you when you kill the stingray and snap the barb only to find out its illegal and your stuck in jail with some guy named Julio and he wants to become bunk buddies but when you tell the officer you need medical attention, he laughs and sticks you back of the cop car as you profusely bleed and then you die. Sounds alright to me! :D

LOL!:D

Here's the link...it WAS a freak accident.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23727914/

Im no way shape or form stating it WAS NOT a freak accident, I just wanted to know if there were any areas and such I should be avoid that may have a higher risk of being hurt. I was also talking about jelly fish but thank you everyone for your input :-D

Im no way shape or form stating it WAS NOT a freak accident, I just wanted to know if there were any areas and such I should be avoid that may have a higher risk of being hurt. I was also talking about jelly fish but thank you everyone for your input :-D

:confused: All I was doing was posting the link for anyone who might be interested in how it happened, nothing else.

I've never seen anything but sand when swimming at 7 mile beach...due to the fact it's mere sand quite a way from the edge of the water there is no food source for the fish. Sting Ray City and Sand Bar are in a bay on the other side of the island. No worries at 7 mile. Julio will need to look for another cuddle buddy.

Well here I was almost a week away from my cruise on the VOS. I came across and intresting thing after reading about that lady that died from the stingray today. Now I know this is totally not related to that but I have a few questions for you veterans...

1. Has anyone ever witnessed a stingray accident while in Grand Cayman??

2. Is their jelly fish in 7mile? Or at least the populated beach area??

Any input or extra input would be most appreciated. Non of these answers will affect me going, I would just like to know where to avoid and such.

Thanks!

Aric

the rays in sting ray city are not the same breed. Not to say it can't happen but the rays that are there are born and breed there and have always been hand fed. My in laws are from grand cayman and they say there has never been an incident. I have taken my son who is now 9 several times.

and no, there are no jelly fish on 7 mile beach

the rays in sting ray city are not the same breed. Not to say it can't happen but the rays that are there are born and breed there and have always been hand fed. My in laws are from grand cayman and they say there has never been an incident. I have taken my son who is now 9 several times.

and no, there are no jelly fish on 7 mile beach

Awesome!!! I cant wait! STUPID JULIO

Very funny...but probably more likely on one of the other islands. I'd even have believed you if you'd said that was going to happen in Mexico or something maybe. Cayman's a bit too polite and helpful for that, and looking at all the other facilities on the island, the jail's probably got better living conditions than a lot of the poorer neighbourhoods in most large urban centres in the US. :D You'd pay an absolute fortune for the medical attention, but that's likely about the worst that would happen...

You guys are too funny! Now I have only seen a stingray once in Florida while we were walking around in the water (I never have seen my husband jump/move that quickly since :D ) and it was too cool. I will be one of those who WILL pay for the privilege of being in the water with them.

Now I HAVE been stung by a jellyfish - on my honeymoon no less - in Jamaica! I survived just fine - though my husband still to this day says he stepped on me and I wasn't stung (the resort "nurse" said it was a sting). I didn't hurt anymore than about 10 bee stings at once. (I've had children - bee/jelly stings don't scare me!) If hubby DID step on me that day it was probably as he spotted the jelly first and tried to leap into my arms to get away from it. Wuss.;)

I personally think the jelly's go in streaks or cycles and after a big storm I think you find more "creatures" around. I wouldn't worry about them. The only ones you need to worry about are those box jellies and they aren't even around the Caribbean as I understand it!

Archived