bill denomination amounts for tipping

GamblinNan

I read once that there was a site breaking down the exact number of bills ( 1's-5's-10's etc.) that you would need for tipping, but i can't remember the site. I tried a search but that isn't get me anywhere either. Would anyone know how to find this info? Thanks.

Depending on the cruise line, there may be “automatic tipping” where a fixed amount is charged to your cabin or “folio”.

If this is the case for your cruise, a small stack of $1.00 bills for room service ($2-$4 per delivery depending on size of order).

Your room steward is paid far less than minimum wage, not complaining or making a plea, just stating fact. Stewards make their living off of tips. With the “auto” tip, the steward gets a whole $6-$8 per person in the cabin, per day. We give an additional $40 is the steward is average, or does the job. If the steward goes above and beyond, we tip more.

Waiters and the assistant get $4-$5 from the “auto tip” per day. The problem here is the “free style-personnel choice-anytime” plan where you have different servers every meal make giving individual tips almost impossible.

Don't bring wads and wads of small bills--they take up too much space and are a pain! Bring enough to tip the taxi and porters, and then get large bills (easier to carry) changed onboard, as you need it! The attendants, waiters, etc... will be tipped larger amounts at the end of the cruise, so small bills aren't needed there! You will need some smaller denominations for room service tipping, if you use it.

For a week I bring about $30 in ones, $20 in fives, and a couple of tens.

You have to think about how much you will use room service, if you're going to be tipping excursion drivers & guides, and if you're planning to take a lot of taxis.

I don't normally worry too much about small bills for additional tips for our room steward, waiter, ass't waiter, etc. I can get that cash throughout the cruise or from guest relations.

Go to Chase Bank and get some $2.00 bills. People like them and they are not given out very often. Try it.

Almost all banks can give out $2.00 bills, but I was told that they were not a good idea because some people don't know they are real and don't like to accept them. Since then, I just make sure I have a lot of ones and fives. It sure is funny when you drop off your luggage at the pier and everyone is tipping with $1 bills that all of a sudden they don't have change if all you have is a $20.

I've read that a lot of the workers don't like the $2 because they're like "funny money" to them if they try to spend it in port. I have no idea if that is true or not.

I am NOT going to carry a wad of $1s.

I take only the small bills I'll need before boarding, and the rest are $100s. The first night, I feed a $100 bill into a slot machine, pull the handle once, cash out, and get $10s, $5s and $1s from the cashier. I take only what I'll need in port (how much depends on whether I have to pay for an independent excursion with cash).

Since I have my gambling money already segregated, I just continue to do this as I need the smaller bills. And if I end up not needing them, the money comes home and goes into my Next Cruise Fund.

Carrying a wad of small bills is totally not necessary.

Thanks everyone for the info. If tips are automaticly charged to our cabin I guess i don't need to worry about it.

Even though you will be 'auto-tipping', I would have a supply of small bills available to tip the porters, taxi drivers, shore excursion personnel, etc. You will more than likely be asked to consider tipping your Maitre' D. Let your conscience be your guide. I am NOT a big tipper...and I rarely receive a tip...but when I do...it's generally from a working person and not someone that has tons of money...those persons are by far...the cheapest!!!

Many of us tip over and above the automatic tipping amount. DH and I like to say a special thank you to some of the wonderful stewards who go so far over and above what they need to do. We always tip additional.

Please don't give them $2 bills or any of the collectible dollar coins. Crew cannot use/cash them. They are worthless to them.

THanks again everyone. I am planning on extra 1's, 5's, and 10's for tipping in general , it was just the right number I needed for wait staff and room stewards. :) We leave in 2 weeks. I want to start packing. Just hoping for no storms on flight day.

For a 2 week cruise we usually take about 30 $1 bills for tipping for extra service and never use them up. We use the auto-tip programs and then tip our room steward and waiter staff an extra $20 or so depending on the service and length of cruise. We take about 10 to 12 $5 bills for dockside porters, tour bus drivers and shuttle drivers.

Go to Chase Bank and get some $2.00 bills. People like them and they are not given out very often. Try it.

Actually they don't. We just got back from Sydney and our bus driver asked us about the $2 bill. Someone had given him one and he can't do anything with it. The bank there won't take it. He can't spend it so to him its a useless piece of paper.

Thanks everyone for the info. If tips are automaticly charged to our cabin I guess i don't need to worry about it.

GamblinNan, you are on RCCL correct? RCCL does NOT automatically charge tips to your cabin. The standard on RCCL is to tip in cash. You can opt to have the suggested amount of tips added to your Seapass account by filling out a form once you are on the ship and turning it into guest relations before the last day of the cruise.

If you decide to tip in cash, use http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com to calculate how much your tips will be and what denominations of bills you will need to give to each person (headwaiter, waiter, assistant waiter, and stateroom attendant). If I've read your past posts correctly you are on a Back 2 Back, so remember that you will need to tip separately for each cruise.

For our New England/Canada 12 day cruise with 2 days pre-cruise in NYC, I took $50 in $1 dollar bills, and my friend also had $50.

By the last night on the ship, we were down to 5 ones left, just enough for the porters as we got off the ship.

We did only use the $1 dollar bills for porters, shuttle drivers, hotel bellboys, and room service on-board. We had left the auto-tip in place so none of them went for that, but it soon became a joke between us that it was time for a tip. Seemed like we were always tipping someone somewhere.

Actually they don't. We just got back from Sydney and our bus driver asked us about the $2 bill. Someone had given him one and he can't do anything with it. The bank there won't take it. He can't spend it so to him its a useless piece of paper.

If I went to the US I would not tip with Australian currency (and I am sure Americans would think I was a little odd doing so) - so tell me why Americans seem to tip all around the world with their own money? Seems strange and borders on arrogance that people can somehow use it in place of their national currency. Don't flame me! I am just being logical.

When we travel, we always use local currency - it also shows respect to the locals. Sure - it requires a little forward planning.... so what?

Mark.

Hi Aussie Cruiser, even here (in the total "back of beyond" in Canada) we can order US money from a bank so tipping in US $ is relatively easy. However, if we needed Australian $$, it means a 3 hour round-trip. In North America, the US dollar is the "dominant" currency, so I honestly think many Americans consider US dollars a universal currency, acceptable anywhere. Even I would consider using US dollars on a cruise ship in Australia (as opposed to Canadian or AU) because American dollars seem so widely accepted. However, in Australia, I'd be converting whatever currency I had to AU $ ASAP. (And likely the currency I was carrying would be US $$, because of the acceptance and recognition I believe they have.)

If I went to the US I would not tip with Australian currency (and I am sure Americans would think I was a little odd doing so) - so tell me why Americans seem to tip all around the world with their own money? Seems strange and borders on arrogance that people can somehow use it in place of their national currency. Don't flame me! I am just being logical.

When we travel, we always use local currency - it also shows respect to the locals. Sure - it requires a little forward planning.... so what?

Mark.

I didn't say I tipped him in US dollars. I used AU money. The driver both picked us up from the pier and gave us a city tour and then gave us the return trip to the airport. On the second ride he asked us specifically about the $2 bill and not being able to use it and what was the figuring behind it.

Hi Aussie Cruiser, even here (in the total "back of beyond" in Canada) we can order US money from a bank so tipping in US $ is relatively easy. However, if we needed Australian $$, it means a 3 hour round-trip. In North America, the US dollar is the "dominant" currency, so I honestly think many Americans consider US dollars a universal currency, acceptable anywhere. Even I would consider using US dollars on a cruise ship in Australia (as opposed to Canadian or AU) because American dollars seem so widely accepted. However, in Australia, I'd be converting whatever currency I had to AU $ ASAP. (And likely the currency I was carrying would be US $$, because of the acceptance and recognition I believe they have.)

I see where you are coming from, but I don't agree. ;)

If you think it is inconvenient, how do you think the receiver of the currency sees it? Worthless.

While Americans think it is "universal currency" (to quote your words), it is not. I guess that is what my original point was, that there is an attitude that borders on arrogance that the entire world will accept the US dollar, when what I am saying is that the bus drivers and taxi drivers etc in Australia just see it as worthless as they need to then try to exchange small change and who can be bothered?

I agree with you about the cruise ship, as it is assumed that all amounts are $US. No worries there. However, when ashore, half way across the globe, attitudes needs to be more sensitive to local cultures and currencies. :)

In the Caribbean I have always tipped using USD. I realize that many of the countries have their own currency, but the private tours I have reserved have always been priced in USD so I tip in the same currency.

My onboard tips are added to my seapass account. I also take travellers cheques that I cash once onboard. I carry a small amount of cash for use before I get on the ship.

I am another person who believes in leaving the $2 USD bill at home. I've encountered stores in the US that wouldn't even accept them!

Archived