Best Mariner secrets

I'm hoping those of you who've been on Mariner would share your best secrets of the ship. Things I would either never discover or not discover until the last day or two and then be ticked I hadn't found earlier.

Stuff like which bars have the best music at night, things you can ask staff for that I'd never consider, activities that are better than they sound in the Compass, or anything else that would generally fly under the radar unless you had a tour guide (that's you) taking me around.

I'm starting to make a few notes for the trip (nothing too anal retentive, just some ideas worth remembering) and thought this would be a good place to start.

Great thread idea - I sail on Mariner for the first time two weeks from tomorrow. :D

One thing I did is email Crown and Anchor a week ago and asked them about the entertainment on my cruise. They emailed me a list of the entertainers that are scheduled to be on my sailing. Most of them had websites that I was able to look through so I have some idea ahead of time as to what acts we don't want to miss.

If you haven't been on a Voyager Class yet, you may not know to look for the scheduled "Promenade Parade". I think it will be on Mon. around 10:00 pm. DON'T MISS IT!! ;)

The Promenade Cafe has great cookies, and the best coffee is at the Concierge Lounge (if you can get it).

The Helipad on the bow is accessable and a great place for "Sail-Away" - most people don't know that - - you have to find the secret passage to get there.:p

Go to the Dining Room on Disembarkment Day and RELAX - - unless you booked an early flight (and I would NEVER do that), you can have a leisurely breakfast and wait until everyone else is gone; then leave without the crowds and hassle.

Hope This Helps.

watch a sunrise! they tell you in the compass what time they are every morning. pick which day the weather is going to be best and fits your schedule!

the pub was very popular for our table for drinks in the evening.

the ice show is wonderful.

def. chops and/or portofino one night. i think wed is the best night to go.

take naps if you want to make it through the night time shows and midnight buffet. the sun wears you out!

take a ton of pictures no matter how much your husband, or family complains...because 5 months later they are the ones that really appreciate the memories!!

if you are in your 20s or look young take your id with you because they will make you walk alllll the way back to your room to get it!

take the stairs to make up for all the food you eat all week!

I loved my week on the Mariner :)

* If the Cruise Compass says ticket pick up for the ice show is at 9AM, get there early. I missed both shows by arriving "on time" for pick up, the tickets were already gone!

* The little sandwiches at the Promenade Cafe are wonderful, I seriously miss those! :P It's also nice because sometimes I just didn't feel like going all the way to the Windjammer for a snack (I make myself take the stairs to work off all those sandwiches, lol, but sometimes ya just feel lazy)

* Even if you're not dressing up for formal night, I think it's fun to stand on the walkways on the high floors overlooking the Promenade and watch people dressed up all fancy :)

* 2nd the rec to carry your ID if you look at all young

The Helipad on the bow is accessable and a great place for "Sail-Away" - most people don't know that - - you have to find the secret passage to get there.:p

Go to the Dining Room on Disembarkment Day and RELAX - - unless you booked an early flight (and I would NEVER do that), you can have a leisurely breakfast and wait until everyone else is gone; then leave without the crowds and hassle.

Hope This Helps.

I definetly second these two. The helipad was awesome for sail away, and we practically had it all to ourselves.

We traded our tags for the latest color and just took our time. We went up to Cloud Nine and played cards until the final "Get off the ship, people" call was made.

I am in the minority here, but I didn't like the ice show at all. Everyone said it was a can't miss, but I left wishing I had missed it. But I do agree that if you are going to get tickets, get there early. By 8:15 am if you really have a preference.

Go to Bingo atleast once. I'm not a huge Bingo fan, but Katie (the activities director) made it so much fun that I never missed a single session.

So how do you get to the helipad?

Deck 4, (promenade deck), all the way forward, you will see stairs going up a deck and that leads to the bow of the ship. The stairs are sometimes closed off if it is extremely windy. It is one of our favorite places on the ship. At night it is dark up front so they can see from the bridge and it is one of the best places to watch the stars. I'll never forget, one night as we passed between St. Lucia and Martinique, a pod of dolphins caught up to the ship and began to ride the wake of the bow. You couldn't see them when they went so close to the ship, but you could hear their blowholes opening to take a breath, it was magical!

THANKS!!! We leave TODAY and I can't wait to get on the helipad -- that is THE THING that made me choose Mariner (that and that we live 45 mins from Port Canaveral) :p

Will let you all know how we liked it -- this is a first for us on RCLL but not our first cruise -- we have been "loyal" Carnival sailors (haha) so we will have something to compare to. Can't wait till after church today to leave (I am pianist at our church - have to make SOME money for the cruise! :eek: ha)

Thank you for all the tips and the fun reading -- hope to make this posting a "regular" of my life -- didn't know about this site till just recently :o

Play shuffle board. It is a great way to spend some family time outside

watching the sea go by. Very few people were ever on this deck. It

was very quiet, almost like having our own ship. It might sound

boring but on a nice day it is very relaxing and a good spot to get away

from the crowds.

Don't miss the ham and cheese croissants in the Promenade cafe. Sounds silly, but after reading so much about them on here, I now know why! They are addicting. Also, check out the peek-a-boo bridge. Fun! Basketball court is great and has plenty of room to sit and read or sunbathe. The screening room on deck 2 shows movies (we cruised 3-2-08 and they were showing Stardust, Shrek the 3rd, Wild Hogs, Mr Beans Holiday, License to Wed, Lucky You, and Premonition.) Grab a cookie from the Promenade Cafe to take in with you. We really enjoyed this. Also be sure to check out all the very stange artwork in the staircases on both ends of the ship. The Mariner has some of the weirdest art we've ever seen on a cruise. It became like a game for us.

Bring earplugs. Had to use them on this cruise, 1st time ever. Terribly squeaky ceiling every time the ship would rock.

Enjoy!

These are great. Thanks to all the tipsters. Keep 'em coming.

And while you're doing so, please feel free to expand your secrets to things we should know about Labadee, Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. As well as tips for better boarding experiences, the best places to sit for certain shows, interesting things to notice on the ship, etc.

No tip is too small or too insignificant if it's a good one and if it'll help make someone's vacation better.

Archived