Best Mariner secrets

Here's a tip that will help with packing and applies to all RCCL ships: The last 2 cruises we've been on we took a tip from a fellow CCer and brought all our formal stuff either dirty or needing to be pressed on board, (ie. we just threw it in on top). Dry cleaning is cheaper on the ship than it is at home, so why dry clean it and then have to be obsessive about folding everything in tissue paper, etc? (Pressing only is 1/2 the price of drycleaning.) Why try to get the wrinkles out of your formalwear by hanging it in the already cramped bathroom? The first day we give the cleaning to the cabin steward and it is back in our cabin cleaned and pressed the next afternoon prior to time to get ready for the captain's gala. They also have specials later in the week where you can get a bag full of laundry cleaned for a set price. We are planning on using this since we are doing a 4 day post cruise in May and that way we can still pack light. Another tip is to bring Woolite to rinse out all your swimwear and workout stuff everyday.

Yep...another first-time cruiser here and I am LOVING all these tid-bits about Mariner!!

You would think the crew would know about taking food ashore--I'm sure they wouldn't try to get you in trouble with customs!

Pootle--you are on our sailing...come join our roll call, its a fun group! Although it appears you are doing a back to back, and most of us will be a little jealous you get to stay on the ship another week! ;)

why do you need an ID on the ship I thought that is what your sea pass was for

i guess because if you look younger they aren't positive you arent using your friends seapass...a lot of 18-25 year olds cruise together and it could be really easy to get a drink. guessing they got in trouble for it so now they have to be more careful.

The best chocolate chip cookies from room service every night-standing order. We order 9 cookies nightly ate a few then put the rest in ziplock bags for the next day. I also ordered extra fruit plates at breakfast and bagged the extras. When returning from the day out it was the best to have that cold fresh fruit in the mini fridge waiting for us. Also the room stewerd always had our ice bucket filled upon return for that wonderful water on the ship!

Glad to hear there is good water onboard - are you talking about bottled water or regular ship drinking water?

Glad to hear there is good water onboard - are you talking about bottled water or regular ship drinking water?

Ship's water is fine to drink, it is distilled and is purer than any bottled water. We bring on bottled and put it in the fridge for excursions. Just take the stuff out of your fridge and put it in a drawer, sometimes the steward will take it for you, just ask.

when we went on our cruise on the mariner (5/15/05) our room had a mini fridge, and it was the cheapest on the ship, interior stateroom. I would think if that one had one they all would, FYI it wasnt very cold, more chilled than anything

Can you tell us exactly what the cost of the dry cleaning and pressing is? I think this is a great idea if it really is that cheap.

I guess cheap is a relative term, it is cheaper than dry cleaning here in the NY metro area and it's definitely worth not having to worry about wrinkles!

Here's the prices: (Sorry the columns didn't cut and paste from the RCCL website so well)

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00 PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50 PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning p

2. Someone suggested checking about your table early. If I somehow manage to get on board near the front of the line and get to the dining room right away, is there any chance of talking the maitre'd into switching our table with one that's by a window (assuming it's not already). If the answer is 'no' from your experiences, would a greased palm do the trick?
It may or may not be possible to change your table. I think that MOST WEEKS there'd be no problem, and I don't think money would help -- if no table exists, money can't make a table appear.

We were VERY unhappy with our table assignment on our recent cruise. Here's the story: We walked around and around the dining room, but we simply couldn't find our table. Someone -- I assume a head waiter -- showed us that we weren't in the main dining room at all . . . rather, we were in a little "side room", the type of place you'd imagine that a large group might choose so it could be self-contained. It lacked the grandeur of the main dining room: no vaulting ceilings, no lovely chandliers, no seeing the waiters singing on Italian night, no admiring everyone's lovely clothes on formal night -- nope, just us and about 50 other outcasts crammed in a little side room. As I said, very disappointing: we'd gone to some trouble to get our nice dinner clothes together, and for what? To sit at the kiddie table? Our tablemates were very pleasant -- really, we couldn't have asked for better -- but they were also unhappy with our seating assignment.

Yes, on that very first afternoon we asked our waiter for a better table, but he explained that it was impossible because it was Thanksgiving week, and the ship was completely fulll -- I believe that was the truth.

We made our reservations a full year in advance. I never asked our tablemates when they made their reservations, but the family who sat with us had one of the highly coveted Family Oceanview Staterooms, so I assume they reserved their spots early too.

Because of this experience, we decided that next time we will DEFINITELY go with an "anytime dining" ship. We might be given a bad table one night, but we won't be stuck with it for the whole week.

Labadee is a very relaxing island. We took our own snorkels, and just swam around in the cove all day! Don't forget your LABADOOZIE! They are GREAT!! Get there early so you can get a good spot on the beach - just tip your guy for your chairs.

Be very careful if you go into Ocho Rios! We ventured "downtown" alone and were very frightened by all the people that approached us trying to MAKE us buy their stuff. Also had someone try to sell us pot in an outdoor restaurant - but the jerk chicken was great!! Don't miss Dunns River Falls - a great time!

Grand Caymen was pretty, but probably wouldn't want to go there again. Not much to do unless you want to buy jewelry or do banking!!

Cozumel has the prettiest water! We did the Playa Mia beach break, and it was a really fun day.

Labadee was much better than I expected! Lovely beach, uncrowded. The food wasn't great, but we had a wonderful day.

We had no problems with vendors in Ocho Rios EXCEPT inside Dunn's River Falls. I had no problem saying, "No" because they genuinely weren't selling anything I cared to look at twice. In the shopping area by the pier, we had no problems whatsoever. Yes, people offered us things, but we understand that they're a poor country with desperate sales people. We saw it as sad rather than scarey or overly aggressive.

Grand Cayman was beautiful, but we didn't find much to do there (we don't cruise to shop). Next time I'll just go to Seven Mile Beach for the day.

It rained on us in Cozumel, which was too bad because it was a great place.

It may or may not be possible to change your table. I think that MOST WEEKS there'd be no problem, and I don't think money would help -- if no table exists, money can't make a table appear.

We were VERY unhappy with our table assignment on our recent cruise. Here's the story: We walked around and around the dining room, but we simply couldn't find our table. Someone -- I assume a head waiter -- showed us that we weren't in the main dining room at all . . . rather, we were in a little "side room", the type of place you'd imagine that a large group might choose so it could be self-contained. It lacked the grandeur of the main dining room: no vaulting ceilings, no lovely chandliers, no seeing the waiters singing on Italian night, no admiring everyone's lovely clothes on formal night -- nope, just us and about 50 other outcasts crammed in a little side room. As I said, very disappointing: we'd gone to some trouble to get our nice dinner clothes together, and for what? To sit at the kiddie table? Our tablemates were very pleasant -- really, we couldn't have asked for better -- but they were also unhappy with our seating assignment.

Yes, on that very first afternoon we asked our waiter for a better table, but he explained that it was impossible because it was Thanksgiving week, and the ship was completely fulll -- I believe that was the truth.

We made our reservations a full year in advance. I never asked our tablemates when they made their reservations, but the family who sat with us had one of the highly coveted Family Oceanview Staterooms, so I assume they reserved their spots early too.

Because of this experience, we decided that next time we will DEFINITELY go with an "anytime dining" ship. We might be given a bad table one night, but we won't be stuck with it for the whole week.

If you get the cookies or other desserts from the Promenade Cafe, they will give you milk if you ask for it.

I know you can ask your travel agent to sit in the main area, and request a window. (I work for an agency!) I had this happen to me once too.

I would recommend writing a letter to the head chef on the third night, about how perfect the food is. He invited us to his table every night from then on. (And the food was better!)

About the milk... GOOD, I am on her next week, and if I must say, I am a dunking man! :)

Be wary in Ocho Rios. I never thought I'd be warning anyone but last week on our Mariner cruise we wandered over to what they call Ship's beach, a little bit past Bamboo Beach Club. Small entrance fee to get in and right before you pay your fee you'll pass some folks on the local boats hawking their wares. We bought a couple of sand dollars, a necklace and an ankle bracelet and then another man approached us trying to sell us a conch shell and he got really agressive. The man we bought the other items from came over and told him to relax. So we walked over to the beach and spent a few hours and on the way back the man we bought items from came over and pushed more junk in our faces and he was now very, very agressive and in my face telling me it would only cost $5 more and to buy, buy, buy. So we said no thank you (at least 4 times) and walked away from him. Now if we were the type to be easily intimidated, we could have really been freaked out by this man. So be careful where you spend your day. I do wish RCL would drop Jamaica entirely from their itineraries. It really is not safe there!! I'm all for supporting the local economy but not when you're dealing with maniacs!!!

I love this thread! Thanks for all the great tips!!

We are not new to cruising but will be taking our first Mariner cruise 3 wks from this Sunday and I CANNOT WAIT!!! :D

They are already threatening to sedate me here at work! Something about they can't listen to this for the next three weeks. I can't imagine what they could possibly mean??? :o

Happy Sailing

Dianne

Your experience sounds exactly like ours. We were on Liberty and none too happy that we were stuck in that side room. We too booked our cruise over a year in advance and had requested a small table, however, were seated at an 8 top. When requesting a smaller table shortly after boarding we were told that all of the small tables were taken.

This was our first cruise that we ate dinner in the WJ most nights. :(

I can't say as it would deter us from sailing RCI again (notice my signature) this was our first experience in not getting what we requested so we can't complain too much. :)

I know you can ask your travel agent to sit in the main area, and request a window. (I work for an agency!) I had this happen to me once too.

I would recommend writing a letter to the head chef on the third night, about how perfect the food is. He invited us to his table every night from then on. (And the food was better!)

About the milk... GOOD, I am on her next week, and if I must say, I am a dunking man! :)

I emailed my travel agency about requesting the main area and they stated "We do show your dining preference has been requested for first seating and a large table. Any specific request for location of table and dining room would have to be done once onboard the ship."

If they are unable to help me, then can i transfer my reservation to an agency that can?

• 1 month later...

Spend time looking at the art, etc on board. I am not an art person, but I spent half a day going down every staircase, walking every hallway, etc, snapping pictures and very much enjoying myself. The passenger decks each have a theme - aviation, trains, cars, etc. There's some really neat stuff on that ship. For example, in one of the stairways is a piece that's kind of a picture-box, the bottom lined with sand, and with plastic elephants; each elephant has something different attached where its trunk would be - like a snorkel, a faucet. It might sound funky, but it's cool. There's also a great piece on the aviation-themed deck of this airplane model with Barbies standing on the wings.

The Promenade Deck (deck 4) is a great deck for walking around at any time of the day or night. My husband and I discovered it toward the end of our first cruise on Mariner and it was one of those "how did we completely miss this?!" kind of things. We really like going for a walk all around the ship after breakfast. The Peek a boo bridge is a fun place to walk to and check out.

Great little sandwiches and snackie items at the Promenade Cafe (deck 5) 24 hours a day, and they always have fresh fruit available too.

Ditto on everything everyone else said. I love the Mariner and can't wait to sail on her again next month! :D:D

Of that's the case then why were room service happy to make us up a packed lunch, several times? We told them we were going ashore all day and would like a packed lunch and they didn't bat an eyelid....

I know this doesn't make much sense but perhaps they didn't realize you were going to take the food off the ship. (Some of the room service employees do not understand English very well.) The other possibility is that they don't know the rules about taking food off the ship. Normally the Compass states that NO FOOD is to be taken off the ship.

Also, most islands won't let you bring food ashore as there could be insect larvae on fruit as an example. They do allow packaged foods to be brought on, but fruit, meats etc. are not allowed.

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the tips.

We are sailing on her October 12, 2008, can't wait.

On our first RCCL cruise on the Rhapsody, Ocho Rios was the first stop. Ick, we should've stayed on the ship. However, there is a small Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville right by the pier that was fun for hanging out. We've been to Grand Cayman several times now ... 7-mile beach is the perfect beach day. Believe it or not, Cozumel is one of our favorite ports. Rent a Jeep and discover the island on your own, or take a taxi to Playa Mia or Paradise Beach for a beach day on your own, then have drinks back in town. Labadee was the most fun for us when we were on the Freedom OTS. Great beach day. When you get off the tender, keep walking around to other parts of the little island and you'll discover less crowded areas. Walk around and discover all the photo opportunities.

All of you sailing on the Mariner between now and October, please post your reviews!!

-Laurie

You can ask the head waiter to prepare your native dish. You can ask your waiter more than one lobster on lobster night. You can order more than one appetizer, entree and dessert. No wonder I always gain 5 lbs. when I cruise:rolleyes:

I am sailing next sunday on her.

My num 1 tip:

If you are getting off the ship, order a sandwich from room service, or go to the Promonade Cafe and pick one up. That way you dont have to pay for food on shore.

I hate to be a spoil sport, but this is bad, bad, bad. Diseases brought off the ship on food stuff can harm the islands' very delicate eco-systems. Especially don't take off fruits & vegetables.

Archived