Best Mariner secrets

If you take a small clock make sure it is battery powered. Ours always lost time and it was always wrong! It took us a few days to realize it! There is a clock on the tv but it was too far away for me to see it and I need digital (poor eyesight)! So, this next cruise I will bring a battery powered one.

When we arrived to our cabin we asked our steward to bring a robe and he happily obliged. It saved a lot of room in my luggage and I loved sitting out on the balcony in the early morning wrapped in my robe! We also asked him to clear out our fridge and he happily obliged, so we were able to put in our water.

We book a cabin above the promenade cafe - it makes it east to run down for snacks, bfast, and cookies (yummy cookies).

On our last cruise we had three cabins together and we were able to open (via Steward) the doors to connect the balcony - it was fantastic!

We didn't have the best tablemates, so we ate in Windjammer several nights. We had great meals there and it was always quiet and after the sun sets it is nice up there. There was a gentleman playing music every night to. If you do this, pay attention to the dining times. One night we went to a show and planned to eat in WJ after and we realized that they had closed - so our only option for dinner was room service, which is fine, just not a lot of options.

On Labadee - take the trek out to dragon's breath. It was really neat to see and hear!

Stay away from Belize also.........dangerous once you walk into town.....We always mail a post card to ourselves for my wife's scrapebook......the town was a mess......and I patrol the streets at home and I was nervous!!!!

I know this doesn't make much sense but perhaps they didn't realize you were going to take the food off the ship. (Some of the room service employees do not understand English very well.) The other possibility is that they don't know the rules about taking food off the ship. Normally the Compass states that NO FOOD is to be taken off the ship.

Also, most islands won't let you bring food ashore as there could be insect larvae on fruit as an example. They do allow packaged foods to be brought on, but fruit, meats etc. are not allowed.

It's also possible that since they are ordering through Room Service, the employee could care less as long as he gets his tip. :D

Nice thread. I even subscribed to this one.

"When we arrived to our cabin we asked our steward to bring a robe and he happily obliged. It saved a lot of room in my luggage and I loved sitting out on the balcony in the early morning wrapped in my robe! We also asked him to clear out our fridge and he happily obliged, so we were able to put in our water."

Will they bring you a robe if you're only a Gold C&A member?

If you take a small clock make sure it is battery powered. Ours always lost time and it was always wrong! It took us a few days to realize it! There is a clock on the tv but it was too far away for me to see it and I need digital (poor eyesight)! So, this next cruise I will bring a battery powered one.

Check your cell phone. If you have flight mode, you can leave your phone on and by your bedside. You can't get incoming calls, but your phone is still functional, so you can have the correct time and an alarm clock. Just remember to bring your cell phone charger. Works like a charm for me!:)

Wow, great tips, thanks! I'm going on the MARINER for the first time in September and only second time on Royal Caribbean.

So, let me make sure I have this straight- you think its better to just bring my formal clothes in my suitcase (if they fit) and have them pressed on the ship instead of paying an extra 25$ for a garment bag, on the plane, in addition to my regular suitcase?

I think thats what I'm getting here. Sorry, sometimes you have to draw me a map.

Thanks in advance.~Sean

Wow, great tips, thanks! I'm going on the MARINER for the first time in September and only second time on Royal Caribbean.

So, let me make sure I have this straight- you think its better to just bring my formal clothes in my suitcase (if they fit) and have them pressed on the ship instead of paying an extra 25$ for a garment bag, on the plane, in addition to my regular suitcase?

I think thats what I'm getting here. Sorry, sometimes you have to draw me a map.

Thanks in advance.~Sean

Yes, that's correct. They do a really nice job, and the turn around time is quick (always has been for us). We use the regular laundry service through out the week when we cruise.

Play shuffle board. It is a great way to spend some family time outside

watching the sea go by. Very few people were ever on this deck. It

was very quiet, almost like having our own ship. It might sound

boring but on a nice day it is very relaxing and a good spot to get away

from the crowds.

What deck is shuffleboard and where is it?

Thanks!

* The little sandwiches at the Promenade Cafe are wonderful, I seriously miss those! :P It's also nice because sometimes I just didn't feel like going all the way to the Windjammer for a snack (I make myself take the stairs to work off all those sandwiches, lol, but sometimes ya just feel lazy)

We are planning to go on the Mariner next April (crossing fingers)..

I cannot for the life of me remember the answer to this so I will ask. The food in the Promenade Cafe is free, correct? When we were on AOS a few years ago I remember thinking we had to pay extra for those items so I never bothered to stop in, even to see what they had. Then I had heard the food in there was good! :rolleyes:

Yes, the food in the Promenade Cafe is free, as well as water,tea, coffee, etc.. Stop in! Loved the little sandwiches and always several desserts and cookies! We stayed in a Promenade Room and on our way up almost every night we made a "run" through the cafe and noshed back at the room as we watched the "goings on" below!

Enjoy!

Just as the others have mentioned we love the promenade cafe for our morning coffee. I know some prefer room service but with 3 children we never know how our mornings will go (older kids sleep later!). Learned to take our own coffee mugs, sure beats the paper cups and the coffee stays hotter! Nothing quite like coffee, balcony , & sleeping kids!!!!!

Try lunch in the dining room. We woke up late one day and had missed breakfast so we decided to try the dining room for lunch since we were sick of the crowds and the same old food in the Windjammer. It was fantastic. We decided to skip breakfast every day and just do lunch. The food we got in the dining room at lunch was the warmest food we had all week. They also have a pasta station where they make you pasta anyway you like it. They advertise 30 minutes but it was more like an hour. It didn't matter. The food was well worth it. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Got a tip before my Jan 2008 cruise that room service has fried chicken wings that are great.Yes they do they are not buffalo flavored but they are great mini chicken wings the best.We bought a hot sauce in Ocho Rios by Buffets and made them into buffalo wings great in the afternoon when you are not eating till late seating at 8:30.

They also come with blue cheese dressing for dipping like buffalo wings.

We had a hard time deciding ovet order room service at 4 or eating at the promenade cafe the little sandwiches.So we did both.

Jefficon12.gif

Got a tip before my Jan 2008 cruise that room service has fried chicken wings that are great.Yes they do they are not buffalo flavored but they are great mini chicken wings the best.We bought a hot sauce in Ocho Rios by Buffets and made them into buffalo wings great in the afternoon when you are not eating till late seating at 8:30.

They also come with blue cheese dressing for dipping like buffalo wings.

We had a hard time deciding ovet order room service at 4 or eating at the promenade cafe the little sandwiches.So we did both.

Jefficon12.gif

Yummy! Too bad they aren't buffalo wings..but a great idea to buy sauce!

We got home from our Mariner trip Sunday evening. We've been on the Explorer and the Voyager but our favorite is the Mariner! On our January Voyager cruise, the food was just okay. On the Mariner, every single bite and everything we ordered was delicious! Make sure to order the "Sampler" dessert plate on the 2nd formal night as it has the famous Chocolate Flourless Cake & is no longer a separate item on the menu. If you eat in Cozumel, head to "Pancho's Backyard" which is next door to Diamond's International in the Forum Shops. Ask about the "special" which is a huge plate of assorted items and enough for 2 people. We order guacamole & chips, too, and it's the best we've ever had. Once inside the Forum Shops (which is where the taxis will drop you), go upstairs to the pharmacy. Antibiotics, Retin-A are legal items to bring home through customs. This pharmacy carries only legal drugs so no one will get into trouble. And, if you mention going to "Pancho's," you'll probably get a card for a free sampler plate of appetizers. We were reluctant to get off the ship in Jamaica and were pleasantly surprised to find the streets clean, lots of police and a pleasant walk to the first shopping area (where you cross the little wooden bridge.) We weren't brave enough to venture any further than that. One of the merchants told us that RCI didn't check for little bottle of mini-liquors so we bought 5 small bottles of Rum. No questions were asked when we got back on the ship. Labadee is impressive - what a gorgeous spot! We've been to the Cayman Islands a number of times so this time we did a little shopping with our daughter & son-in-law and then went to Margaritaville to eat. Good burgers! If we had known there was a pool and slide, we would have worn our bathing suits. Yes, there are safes in the rooms. You can request a robe from your cabin steward & if any are left, they'll bring one. This time we were asked if we wanted waffle or terrycloth ... I never knew there was a choice. Also, this is the first time we've ever packed an over-the-door hanger. People are right - it's very handy! We called room service for ice to be delivered daily at 3pm as it's always melted by the time we get back to the room in the afternoons. Room service breakfast: Omelets are no longer on the menu but if you write in "omelets w/cheese & mushrooms" for instance, they'll fix one for you. Toast, too.

• 3 weeks later...

We're going on Mariner again in July. Sadly it will probably be our last Mariner run! take good care of her on the West Coast, she is a treasure! We had Captain Johnny last time and he was fantastic, this time I believe we have Captain Per.

I have two tips--both may have been mentioned before, but they both bear repeating. The water on the ship is distilled-so the water from the tap is excellent--we refilled our water bottle before our excursions(the ones they sell outside the WindJammer on port days are HUGE so we only purchased one per two ppl (less to carry -- important to me since I'm usually the MULE!)

The other is when embarking after an excursion walk up one flight and take the center or port elevators which are way less crowded (I think that's it--I think you embark on the aft) in any case a short walk to the next bank of elevators saves lots of time!

Katie

What deck is shuffleboard and where is it?

Thanks!

As I remember on the Navigator, Mariner's sister, it's deck 4. We'd walk out of Boleros and head fore where we'd run into those playing shuffleboard.

Opps.... duplicate answer .... at least we're sure now

Archived