? on Latitudes

Debating on whether to book Latitudes or not on our upcoming Alaska cruise. I remember someone saying they had not quite found their niche yet. Would appreciate any general overall comments from recent Mariner cruisers. (Definitely booking Signatures)

Debating on whether to book Latitudes or not on our upcoming Alaska cruise. I remember someone saying they had not quite found their niche yet. Would appreciate any general overall comments from recent Mariner cruisers. (Definitely booking Signatures)

Latitudes has received a mixed bag of reviews from people. However, these comments are usually based upon personal tastes, likes and dislikes.

I would not say that there is anything "wrong" with the preparation or presentment, but people do have different views - and their "Asian Fusion" theme doesn't seem to catch everyone's approval.

We viewed menus on both the Voyager and Mariner and in one case, the smells that were coming from Latitudes turned us off. I don't remember anyone we spoke with on any cruise saying they were thrilled with their experience there......

Lattitudes is more Asian Lots of currie, garlic, etc.

If you like to eat those things it is wonderful.

If not you may not like it.

Really is personal likes and dislikes.

One thing I can tell you is the service is FANTASTIC.

May be the best on the entire ship.

It is definitely a different dining experience and nice, but nothing that I would rave about.

It is not exactly "this or that", so if you are thinking truly Asian flare, it is not. If you are thinking Western, it is not...but more to that cuisine. I thought it would be more Asian than it actually was.

I could not characterize it as a highlight of a cruise, but it may be a nice alternative once you see what it is about.

BTW, I was on a fully booked Alaska cruise and had no problem booking Latitudes or Signatures (twice). So don't sweat it...and remember what is booked in advance and on the first day is, in good measure, canceled as the cruise goes on as people find what they like.

On our Voyager cruise, Latitudes was our favorite restaurant. This is not to say that Signatures isn't great -- it is. Perhaps it depends upon what is available where you live. Being raised in L.A., we had similiar types of dining and service available in many places. Latitudes, however, is truly unique. The Chef stopped by and chatted with each table -- we raved about two particular dishes (he ended up sending copies of the recipe's to our suitei).

While the Voyager is not the Mariner -- chefs and staff change. . . the menu has remained quite close to what it was in 1997. I plan on booking Latitudes on our Mariner Alaska cruise next month for the first night. Will write a review when we return.

P.S. "Cattravel10", Your name is purrfect!:D

We have always found Latitudes to be a delightful alternative dining experience. The service has been marvelous. They usually do a very nice job with a sort of Asian cuisine. My partner likes that cuisine more than I do. But I'm happy to try it at least once during a cruise. Much depends on the chef. We had a extremely good dining experience in Latitudes on Voyager. Our next Latitudes dinner was on Mariner. The menu was identical to that offered on Voyager but the dining experience much less satsfying. I'm glad to learn you can now select entrees from the menu. That is a plus for me since some of the items offered family style have been less to my liking than others. Patrick

Travelcat2, your post has prompted this followup. On our last Voyager cruise we booked Latitudes on the first night. It was a great choice since most folks didn't. The dining room was less than half full and our service was even better than usual. We did the same for the second segment of that cruise and Latitudes was similarly under utilized. In general we have found the first night is a great time to book either of the alternative restaurants (1) because lots of folks just don't and (2) the menu in CR is typically not their best. Patrick

Towards the end of our 19 day cruise in December

there were nights where they only had around 8 reservations

for the whole night. Not that people did not like it, just once is

enough. Would see lots of the help moving over and working

in Compass Rose still wearing their Latitude uniforms.

We enjoy Latitudes about half way through and towards the end of a long cruise. It is a quiet respite after many Compass Rose dinners. We have always enjoyed the food, but we are not meat and potatoes people, even on land.

We loved Latitudes on the 2007 World Cruise. They changed the menu, decorations and crew entertainment several times to match the area of the world in which we were sailing. The entusiasm and creativity of the staff was terrific. We also loved the normal Asian fusion menu. But to each their own. I am just surprised how worked up people get about dining venues. I think most times it's with whom you are sharing the experience that makes the evening.

I haven't been on Mariner, but on Latitudes, I thoroughly loved dinner at lattitudes. It was one of my favorite experiences on the cruise.

I meant Voyager! I lived a few years on Pacific Islands with almost all Asians living there, and I do like Asian tastes. However, there were something like 7 dishes, and I only tried a few. I enjoyed the shrimp soup and the lobster. Not everyone may enjoy the family style, but my table got excellent service. Also, on the night I was there, they were full and had a wait.

I would go ahead and sign up. When you get onboard, if you don't like the looks of the menu cancel so that someone else can get in.

We've eaten several times at both Latitudes (on Mariner and Voyager). When we were in Alaska the menu was salmon based - it was before Latitudes "went Asian". This was good, but only for one meal. Twice, with no variation, would have been repetitive...and that is how I feel about the "new" Latitudes. The menu doesn't change that often - I suppose on a world cruise it changes every so often, but on our South America jaunt last January (Callao to BA) I don't recall that it changed. It is heavily fish-based which is fine if you like fish! I do like it, but sadly got food poisening from fish in Lima before the cruise so couldn't eat fish for a while.

The service is great - Asian friendliness and style. You can't fault that! But I really think it hasn't found its niche. Perhaps it would be better as a sushi bar??

In sum - if you have never eaten there, it is certainly worth going once. But not twice!

You know, the sushi bar idea is a great one. Perhaps someone should suggest this to the Regent powers that be.

My only complaint with Latitudes was that the time we ate there, every course had duck in it, and my son is violently allergic to duck. He didn't starve (impossible to do on a Regent cruise), but his options for each course were really limited.

Having just gotten off the 4/7 Mariner sailing, I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant. It has always been one of my favorites and think that the divergent opinions often had to do with disliking the fixed menu. Apparently this has changed; there were two different menus during this recent cruise, the first was a Thai/Indian/Chinese/Vietnamese menu and the second was a more Chinese oriented menu. There are now about 12 entrees on each menu that you can choose from (although the staff encourages you to try most if not all of them). The food is still served family style. I thought the service from the staff was superb, gracious, and friendly. The food was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This restaurant would not appeal to a strictly meat and potatoes taste. I saw some people frowning at a tamarind soup then later loving it when they finally tried it.

We just returned yesterday on Mariner and love Latitudes. They just updated their menu and it's great. The trick to remember is that the portions are sized to the number of diners at the table, so for the two of us, it seemed odd to order four or five entrees, but they bring just the right amount to serve two. It is Asian/fusion, so if you don't like that style of food you might not like it, but we loved it so much we went twice. There are options that are less spicy and the rice and pad thai are quite mild and very tasty.

Archived