hat blown off

puggal

When your walking around the ship, have you ever lost your hat to the wind? I've been told I should where a hat at all times b/c of my fair skin and so my part in my hair doesn't get sunburn. I was planning on just bringing a ball cap but don't want to lose it. Do any of you where a hat/cap when walking around the outside of lounging at the pool?

In the main middle area like on the pool deck you shouldn't have a problem, because there are walls that block some of the wind. If you go on one of the unprotected decks like the upper track area or other similar areas you might have a problem.

When your walking around the ship, have you ever lost your hat to the wind? I've been told I should where a hat at all times b/c of my fair skin and so my part in my hair doesn't get sunburn. I was planning on just bringing a ball cap but don't want to lose it. Do any of you where a hat/cap when walking around the outside of lounging at the pool?
Of course, the amount of wind depends on the specific weather conditions. I find that it tends to be windier at night than during the day. It's also windier on the very top decks and in areas that don't have the wind breaks. You should definitely be fine by the main pool and the pool deck areas (which are generally protected on all sides from direct wind) and in most other outside areas. So you should be able to wear a hat the vast majority of the time without any risk of losing it. And should the wind take it, it's most likely to end up against a railing or other part of the ship anyhow.

It also depends on what the ship is doing. The "wind" that most people think of is caused by the fact that the ship is moving (going from port to port) at approx. 20 knots (23 mph). If it is a sea day, you will experience this "wind". If the ship is in port, you probably won't notice much of a breeze. Certainly not enough to blow your hat off.

last Sept, on the Med, one of the sea days. We spent the day on the deck overlooking the pool and went up & down to get our food. I came back up the stairs with my hamburger and the wind took the top bun right off and it drifted in front of a crew member who was standing by some kind of cart, went right by a man's face and landed in his wife's lap. We all cracked up, and I went back and got a new bun. Kept my hand on top of it on the way back up!

last Sept, on the Med, one of the sea days. We spent the day on the deck overlooking the pool and went up & down to get our food. I came back up the stairs with my hamburger and the wind took the top bun right off and it drifted in front of a crew member who was standing by some kind of cart, went right by a man's face and landed in his wife's lap. We all cracked up, and I went back and got a new bun. Kept my hand on top of it on the way back up!

LOL - That is so funny!

Eventhough my daughters both think I look stupid....I wear a hat that has strings to tie under my chin...I will also warn you that if you wear a hat or cap that has a mesh top...your poor head will still sunburn...I speak from experience....I too am very fair skinned plus I have vitaligo...you know, that condition that Michael Jackson has...so I keep the highest rated sunscreen on, wear a hat, and even wear gloves and a t-shirt while in the water. Jimmy

One of our friends was just getting off the ship in St. Thomas, and his hat blew off. A few of us chased it, but it ended up in the water....it was a great reason to go shopping for another souvenir! I have noticed many days near the gangway, it is windy. ( you also need to hold on to your seapass as you get back on the ship!)

My DH has a great solution to that. He has an open sports car, so he takes a lanyard and puts one end through the back of the cap where the adjustable band is, and the through the other end of the lanyard, so it's like a slip knot. Then he puts the lanyard around his neck. If it blows off, his lanyard just lets it hang down his back.

I do shoelaces with porous or straw hats; one on each side. I knot the end outside the brim and tie them under my chin.

Since I have had skin cancer removed from the back of my neck, I bought a great hat from backcountry.com. They have a great selection of hats with chin straps.

I always wear a hat with the strap whenever I'm outside on a cruise. Even the dock is windy.

While I use hat for sun protection, I was wearing one playing mini golf and have a ponytail thru back of it. It kept trying to lift off- I looked at teen son having no trouble--aerodynamics, he had his on backwards. Not much help for the sun- but for the neck. I vote for the bobbypins, or maybe cute pins that they have now that are more girly. Try an outdoors type shop they have the brim hats with ties, and type you can get wet and just wring out.

There is something called a "hat clip" that is made to secure your hat during any activity where there might be a sudden wind. My DH is a ME Guide and flyfishes here in Maine and uses one most of the time. It is a string with a clip at each end. One end clips to the back of the hat and the other to the back of the collar. He's never lost a favorite hat. We have also used a piece of fly line (any small string or shoelace would work) to fashion a similar contraption for folks for whitewater rafting, etc. The flyline simply is tied to the back of the hat and one can make a small hole through the tag in the back of the shirt. If you don't want to make a hole, simply make one out of a piece of ribbon and attach two small safety pins to each end. Presto...hat clip.

Some good hints here, I'll have to remember them. I have to hold onto my hat and I also spray my part with clear sunscreen. It doesn't affect my hair style, as if I have one, :rolleyes: especially while being windblown. I'm surprised how it doesn't ick up my hair. DH is follicly challenged and I've learned it from him.

There are areas up on deck that sometimes feel as if you are in a wind tunnel. My DH once lost a pair of sunglasses- wind took them right off his head! They were an expensive pair of Oakley's. He thought they were gone forever. Later that day, he stopped by guest relations just to check, and someone had turned them in! We couldn't believe it.

I agree with Onessa- for women who have hair long enough (and some men), put it through the opening in the back, and I use a hair ribbon to tie it to the hat itself- works great.

OP....purchase a Tilley hat....I have worn mine during sailing around hurricane Lily....walking up to the observation deck on Rhapsody of the Seas....hardly able to walk, but the hat stayed on with NO hands. It has a wide brim too for shading the face.

They are guaranteed NOT to blow off your head...and if they do and get lost....they are replaced free by the company. I don't know how good that is, because I have never lost mine yet.

We were watching the ship proceed thru the Panama locks when there was a knock on our door. A security guard was there with a man asking if we could get his hat for him. Apparently he had been up a few decks and the wind took it and dropped in the corner of our 9th deck corner aft balcony. We hadn't even noticed it. The man was happy to have his hat back.

Kathy:)

I've had my skirt blown up numerous times walking up the spiral staircase between decks 11 and 12, does that count?!?!

After our first week on Adventure last August I quickly learned big knickers (do you use that word in the US?) are the only way to go!!!

Archived