Woodbury Common Premium Outlets

Tintown

We will be in NY in October this year and heard about this outlet mall. Can anyone tell us if it is really worth the visit? Are the shops there a lot cheaper than elsewhere? We are from NZ so a lot of the shops sound like they are ones that we don't have over here. Opinions appreciated, thanks.

Woodbury Common is the largest outlet center in the United States, and if one enjoys shopping at such centers, it is certainly worthwhile doing so. There are almost always some very good bargains there, though there has been increasing controversy over how good the deals actually are (e.g., while the original intent of outlet centers was to allow manufacturers to get rid of end-of-season or overstocked merchandise, today some outlets sell low-priced second-quality merchandise that was never intended to be sold at regular retail outlets).

This outlet center is located north of New York City, and does require some time and effort to get there. Coach USA (ShortLine) operates regular bus service throughout the day between New York City's Port Authority Bus Terminal and Woodbury Common, and it will cost about $32.40 round-trip. http://www.coachusa.com Another company, Express Trails, has a slightly less-expensive fare, $30.00 round-trip, but much more limited service. http://www.expresstrails.com You can also go by train from New York City's Penn station to Harriman station for $17.00 round-trip. From Harriman, it is a very short taxi ride ($6-7 each way), and on weekends, there is limited bus service as well ($1.60 each way). http://www.lirr.org/mnr/html/getaways/outbound_woodbury_commons.htm

There are always good bargains--

It's an outdoor mall--check out the website http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

If you're going to go, join their VIP club in advance--it will get you discount coupons (for free)--Print out the certificate and show it at the information booth in the food court--otherwise they charge about $10 for the coupon book.

After checking the website, you'll know which stores you want to go to--check out prices in advance--many of the outlets have superior buys (Coach for example)--It's truly an experience to go there.

As a previous poster said, there are buses from the Port Authority in Manhattan right to the Commons.

If you have a car--you need to take the NYS Thruway to Exit 16.

How many days will you be in New York? I don't know that it would be worth wasting an entire day to go to Woodbury Commons. There are great outlet centers in New Jersey that are closer to the city. There are also great stores right in New York City where you can get great bargains (i.e. Century 21, Macy's).

My experience with Woodbury Commons is that many of the stores there aren't really outlets. Don't get me wrong, I love going there as someone who lives in New York City who looks to get an escape every once in awhile. If I had limited time here I would spend it downstate rather than upstate.

it is HUGE....about 1-1.5 hours drive i think.....honestly i don't think the bargains were that great, but that is subjective. Honestly, you can do prety well at Century 21 and Macys (macys has some great deals on their sale and clearance racks>.....) plus, there is jersey gardens (we dont charge sales tax in NJ for clothes and shoes....they do in NY!)

www.jerseygardens.com

www.c21stores.com

www.macys.com

happy hunting!

Anyone can go to the Macy's Visitor Center and receive a 12% off discount coupon which applies to most purchases. (some designer goods are restricted) Also, buy the NY Daily News the day you plan to shop, to find Macys coupons which are on top of the sale price. Lord and Taylor also runs coupon sales, you can actually sign up online to receive the coupons. They don't advertise the coupons as heavily as Macys, but they offer them just as frequently to their regular customers. If you shop at the Coach store at the outlets, you should know that they carry a "limited" selection, not the "hot" styles. Also some of the selection is made specifically for the outlets.

Some time ago Consumers Reports did an article about outlet malls/stores. The gist of the article is that quite often the outlet store item may look the same as the regular retail item but there is a difference. In many cases it was found that the fabric, the stritching and the quality of clothing was very different...even though it looked the same. We have noticed this for a long time , and especially now since reading that report. I am certain that there are some good buys but never assume that you are comparing like for like just because someone puts a high retail price tag on the item and then offers up a 75 percent discount.

Woodbury Common is the largest outlet center in the United States....

It may be the largest outlet mall in New York but it's not even in the top 20 in America. Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise Fl (20 minutes west of Port Everglades) contains more outlet stores then the Commons. :rolleyes:

http://www.simon.com/mall/directory.aspx?ID=1262

(we dont charge sales tax in NJ for clothes and shoes....they do in NY!)

www.jerseygardens.com

www.c21stores.com

www.macys.com

happy hunting!

Most places in NY don't charge sales tax on clothes/shoe purchases under $110.

Name game - Woodbury is "upstate"? Up here, we talk about going "downstate" to shop there!;)

Name game - Woodbury is "upstate"? Up here, we talk about going "downstate" to shop there!;)

Errrr.....NO places in NYC charge sales tax on clothes or shoes under $110.

As a qualified Mall Rat shopper, I can say that I always take a trip out to Woodbury whenever I am in NY. Get the Grey Line Coach - it is a beautiful trip - for the skyline view just after you have gone through the tunnel and for the green wooded hills that surround Woodbury. I find Century 21 a bit frantic, but Filenes Basement in Union Sq is also good if you want to stay in town. I like the range and selection and open atmosphere of Woodbury though.

I wouldn't go to Woodburry Commons and I live an hour away. Why don't you go to the outlets at paramus, new jersey? No tax there and they have the same stores.

That said, I did buy a layette there during the winter when everything was on sale, so I got it dirt cheap. If you are there at the end of August or the end of January, the sales are worthwhile.

got a good laugh out of that one. where in upstate ny r u?

We will be in NY in October this year and heard about this outlet mall. Can anyone tell us if it is really worth the visit? Are the shops there a lot cheaper than elsewhere? We are from NZ so a lot of the shops sound like they are ones that we don't have over here. Opinions appreciated, thanks.

Woodbury Commons in NY, Clinton Crossing in CT, Wrentham Outlet Mall in MA...all the same and part of the Chelsea Outlet Malls. No...not worth the visit. There are great stores, Liz Claiborne, Jones NY, Ralph Lauren, Carters, Oshkosh, et all...but they're the same everywhere...and don't have really great bargains. At least IMHO.

I live about 10 minutes away from Woodbury Commons and would say that some of the stores are worth it and some not. Personally, I like the Chicos and they do have a lot of merchandise that is not available at the regular stores. It is very crowded on the weekends, so if you have a choice, go on a weekday.

my 2c:

Woodbury Commons is really just a 'mall'..

Century 21 and Macys are excellent suggestions in the city.

If you want outlets.. Secaucus, NJ is great.. but you will need a car

If you get adventurous enough take the bus to Tanger Outlets

http://www.tangeroutlet.com/ (Riverhead location)

Its about an hour and half from NYC

They have a link for coupons too

http://www.tangeroutlet.com/coupons

TRAVEL TIPS AND DIRECTIONS

International Shoppers - Direct Transportation to Tanger Daily direct round trip motorcoach service from Manhattan & Queens. Go to http://www.hamptonjitney.com to access up to date schedules and make on-line reservations to Tanger via the North Fork Service Line. Travel time is approximately 90 minutes. Tanger Outlets are the first stop on the North Fork Line, the bus will depart (pick you up) from the southwest corner of 44th street and Third Avenue. New York Metropolitan area call 800-936-0440 for more information.

They are building another center in Deer Park but that will not open til the fall.

Archived