Nat. Hist VS Tundra Wild. Tour....changing, help??!

figs

My parents are booked into the Natural History tour (travel agency, all air/etc for the cruisetour package is with Princess).

From reading on here, the NHT seems to be a waste of time, whereas the TWT seems to be amazing. This is their first and probably last time in Alaska, I don't want them to be disappointed.

How would you even go about fixing this situation? Is there even an easy fix? I doubt they'd opt to change the date they leave....help!

We are on a Princess Cruisetour that also included the NHT. I phoned Princess and cancelled the NHT and received a refund. I then reserved the Tolkat shuttle bus through the Park services. The Denali Princess Lodge offers shuttle service to the Wilderness Access Center where you catch the shuttle buses. They just have to look at when they arrive and the shuttle schedules. Here is the link to reserve the shuttle buses.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm

TJ

We are on a Princess Cruisetour that also included the NHT. I phoned Princess and cancelled the NHT and received a refund. I then reserved the Tolkat shuttle bus through the Park services. The Denali Princess Lodge offers shuttle service to the Wilderness Access Center where you catch the shuttle buses. They just have to look at when they arrive and the shuttle schedules. Here is the link to reserve the shuttle buses.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm

TJ

FIGS, be aware that the Tolkat shuttle and the Tundra Wilderness Tour are different. TWT is more expensive but the bus is nicer and you are sure to have a driver/guide who will "talk" the entire trip. Both the shuttle and the TWT have their place. If your parents are older and not as hale and hearty, I'd recommend the TWT. The TWT is also booked on the same site above. Depending on when your parents are going the TWT might be full. I booked mine in January for this coming August.

TWT is more expensive but the bus is nicer and you are sure to have a driver/guide who will "talk" the entire trip. Both the shuttle and the TWT have their place.

How are the TWT buses nicer? At the end of the day, aren't the tour and shuttle buses all school buses?

I have friends on a Princess tour (Kenai) and they were able to upgrade to the Tundra tour. I would suggest calling their TA right away. They did this about 3 weeks ago.

Theresa

How are the TWT buses nicer? At the end of the day, aren't the tour and shuttle buses all school buses?

Per the website they have integrated video monitors & camera so if there is wildlife on one side of the bus the driver can point the camera at it...everyone can see it, instead of everyone trying to climb over to see out one side of the bus. Also, you can then purchase a DVD at the end of the trip which includes this footage.

Per the website they have integrated video monitors & camera so if there is wildlife on one side of the bus the driver can point the camera at it...everyone can see it, instead of everyone trying to climb over to see out one side of the bus. Also, you can then purchase a DVD at the end of the trip which includes this footage.

Yeah, that I knew. Not sure that make the bus "nicer." :)

Also, going to Denali to watch wildlife on a monitor is not for me. That's not a criticism of those who do though.

Did the TWT last August and I wouldn't call the bus they used a school bus. I thought the seats were much more padded (but not as much as the really fancy tour buses). As mentioned, there's the camera and the the screens. Also, some of the shuttle bus drivers will give you more information as you go along than others do. On the TWT it's almost nonstop info. Also, the shuttle might not stop as long if animals are seen. Everyone just has to decide if the extra cost is worth it for them!

Again, there are those on these boards that advocate independant planning/travelling. There are some of us that want everything taken care of for us. I chose a HAL cruisetour in Aug '07 and thoroughly enjoyed them telling me where to be at what time, and what was scheduled when.

All I had to do was show up and enjoy.

We did the afternoon TWT to Toklat, leaving the lodge at almost 3:00 pm and not arriving back until 11:30 pm. We had the full 8 hour tour. I wouldn't have wanted to be on any longer a bus ride, and I sure had no desire to get out and start walking in country I had just seen 8 bears or a moose or a herd of caribou or a wolf in, I was even hesitant to get off the bus at the rest room stops, but did, then hurriedly back on the bus. Toklat was the only extended stay outside the bus. The driver had hot water and hot chocolate mix and I think we stayed there about 30-45 minutes before heading back.

So folks have to decide which they want to do, independent on the shuttle or just go with the cruisetour TWT. And I for one thought the video camera on the bus was wonderful. We wouldn't have been able to see the one bear at all if we hadn't had it, as it was quite far away and it was starting to get dark, but the bus driver zoomed that camera in on him and we were able to watch him for possibly 10 minutes before he moved on out of range. It's nice to get a close up road-side view, but that isn't always possible, therefore the video sure comes in handy rather than miss out completely.

Did the TWT last August and I wouldn't call the bus they used a school bus. I thought the seats were much more padded (but not as much as the really fancy tour buses). As mentioned, there's the camera and the the screens. Also, some of the shuttle bus drivers will give you more information as you go along than others do. On the TWT it's almost nonstop info. Also, the shuttle might not stop as long if animals are seen. Everyone just has to decide if the extra cost is worth it for them!

I am glad that you posted this because over the last six months or so, I thought that I was losing my mind. I have taken the TWT several times only because I was not educated in the other system, although I have friends in Healy and connections to several of the bus drivers. It just never came up and I just booked and recommended TWT for myself and others. I have asked several people who have taken the TWT with me if they remembered the seats on those buses. No one had pictures so I couldn't prove it one way or the other, but my recollection is that the seats on the TWT buses are MORE PADDED and comfortable like a touring bus in Europe. I could be wrong, which is why I never posted that comment before.

Now as far as the drivers and giving more information - people on here have posted that the bus drivers on the shuttle buses provided great information. I can attest on at least two TWT buses the drivers were severely lacking. Finally on one, there was mutany on the bus and the passengers insisted that I be switched to the front seat because I was the only one spotting animals (a developed skill for sure) and they were tired of missing out. So I think it is hit or miss, but when I get to the park this summer, I am going to check out both types of buses to see if the seats are more padded on the TWT.

Janice

I am glad that you posted this because over the last six months or so, I thought that I was losing my mind. I have taken the TWT several times only because I was not educated in the other system, although I have friends in Healy and connections to several of the bus drivers. It just never came up and I just booked and recommended TWT for myself and others. I have asked several people who have taken the TWT with me if they remembered the seats on those buses. No one had pictures so I couldn't prove it one way or the other, but my recollection is that the seats on the TWT buses are MORE PADDED and comfortable like a touring bus in Europe. I could be wrong, which is why I never posted that comment before.

Now as far as the drivers and giving more information - people on here have posted that the bus drivers on the shuttle buses provided great information. I can attest on at least two TWT buses the drivers were severely lacking. Finally on one, there was mutany on the bus and the passengers insisted that I be switched to the front seat because I was the only one spotting animals (a developed skill for sure) and they were tired of missing out. So I think it is hit or miss, but when I get to the park this summer, I am going to check out both types of buses to see if the seats are more padded on the TWT.

Janice

Well, I've just done the TWT once (last Aug.) and it was fabulous! Our driver was Lisa Frederic. She's done the Iditarod and owned her own fishing boat on Kodiak and had the puppies we'd seen the day before at Jeff King's Husky Homestead. She was so interesting. Now I'm worried that my trip for this Aug. won't be as good and I'm going with a first timer that I've really hyped the trip to. Oh, well, Alaska is great all by itself!

I would have happily taken the TWT but because of our arrival and departure times it was not available. The choice I had was the NHT or the Tolkat shuttle. I have no interest in venturing off the bus either!

The website describes the various tours and shuttle offerings as well as the shedules. May offerings seem a bit more limited probably because it is not peak time for the park.

Whatever you decide for your parents I am sure they will enjoy the park.

TJ

Well, I've just done the TWT once (last Aug.) and it was fabulous! Our driver was Lisa Frederic. She's done the Iditarod and owned her own fishing boat on Kodiak and had the puppies we'd seen the day before at Jeff King's Husky Homestead. She was so interesting. Now I'm worried that my trip for this Aug. won't be as good and I'm going with a first timer that I've really hyped the trip to. Oh, well, Alaska is great all by itself!

Tillie,

I can probably find out if she is driving this year if you want to know. I will be back after July 25 and so before you leave I can try and find out what days she is driving and if she is doing the TWT if you want to know. Obviously it is too early in the season for a full schedule.

Janice

Tillie,

I can probably find out if she is driving this year if you want to know. I will be back after July 25 and so before you leave I can try and find out what days she is driving and if she is doing the TWT if you want to know. Obviously it is too early in the season for a full schedule.

Janice

Thank you! I'll be doing a morning tour on Aug. 15th. Please let me know what you discover. Just want everyone to know that Lisa is a gem and if she is driving this year anyone who is lucky enough to get on her bus will be blessed!

Thanks to everyone for their help! I talked to my parents last night, and they said that they were perfectly happy to keep the NHT because they don't want to be on a bus for as long as the TWT would take. *WHEW*! We've done a lot of traveling over the years, so we've seen moose and bears (my dad's seen one a little TOO close 'cause the tent site across from their didn't hang their food. EEK.) before. So they're happy with the NHT. Yay! Problem neatly avoided!

But again, thank you all SO much for your help. (and when I go to Alaska, I'll make sure *I* book the TWT.)

Thanks to everyone for their help! I talked to my parents last night, and they said that they were perfectly happy to keep the NHT because they don't want to be on a bus for as long as the TWT would take. *WHEW*! We've done a lot of traveling over the years, so we've seen moose and bears (my dad's seen one a little TOO close 'cause the tent site across from their didn't hang their food. EEK.) before. So they're happy with the NHT. Yay! Problem neatly avoided!

But again, thank you all SO much for your help. (and when I go to Alaska, I'll make sure *I* book the TWT.)

Just be certain they are FULLY aware, that they likely are not going to have wildlife viewing and certainly not the scenery in those beautiful brochures.

Just be certain they are FULLY aware, that they likely are not going to have wildlife viewing and certainly not the scenery in those beautiful brochures.

No worries, I discussed it with them---they'd been offered the TWT, and the TA explained the differences. But they're just not interested in sitting on a bus with small stops for 8-9 hours. I can understand that, especially as they then have the loooong train ride the next day, I think.

Hi Figs...we took the NHT last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. It gets maligned often and I am sure the other tours mentioned are better and go deeper into the park. We will do one of those next time when we have more time. But any of the tours are better than Dallas in July.

While we did not see much wildlife ( a moose very close up) and some snowshoe hares - the scenery is still spectacular and we had a great time. We also did not want to be on the long bus ride but it really is more comfortable than you think - and I am tall with long legs and was not uncomfortable. They will enjoy it as much as we did I hope.

Very interesting thread...our cruisetour also includes Natural HIstory Tour, which I have already cancelled and received a refund for...however, we do not have enough time for the Tundra Wildlife Tour-cutting it too close for transportation to Fairbanks.

My question is, after reading several threads on the subject, what would you recommend-taking the Tolkat shuttle or taking the Mt. Healy hike (but not all the way to the top-too far)? Or anything else?

Thanks!

No worries, I discussed it with them---they'd been offered the TWT, and the TA explained the differences. But they're just not interested in sitting on a bus with small stops for 8-9 hours. I can understand that, especially as they then have the loooong train ride the next day, I think.

Keep in mind that you must stay on the TWT or NHT bus for the entire tour but you can get off the shuttle almost any time. If your parents declare "enough", they can get off the inbound bus and catch the next outbound. That may provide a better tour since they can tailor it "on the fly" to their stamina and interests. It's cheaper, too.

To each their own but if I were interested in watching AK wildlife on TV while sitting in a very cozy chair, I'd do that in my living room and save lots of time and money!

Archived