Pinnacle Grill reservations now $20 online

AAL

My husband and I ate twice at the PG on the Maasdam on an April cruise, and the first time it was at 8PM and there was one other table that was occupied. The second time was at 8:15 and there was no one there. We paid $30 both times. Maybe they got the message.....

I wasn't impressed with the Pinnacle Grill (paid 20 two years ago). When it went up to 30, they made my decision easy for me. Now that it is back down to 20, I'm tempted to give it another try. Everyone else seems to like it, so maybe we got a bad PG on the Maasdam.

Now I need to figure out which night I would want to go to the Veendam's Pinnacle Grill, if at all.

Thanks for the info!

My husband and I ate twice at the PG on the Maasdam on an April cruise, and the first time it was at 8PM and there was one other table that was occupied. The second time was at 8:15 and there was no one there. We paid $30 both times. Maybe they got the message.....

We've not dined in the Pinnacle Grill, but we have noticed when strolling by during the dinner hours that it's been virtually empty on our past two cruises.

Guessing HAL finally recognized that they spent a fortune to add an upscale dining venue to the ships in their fleet ... and they may no longer be making enough on it (at $30/person) to keep the doors open.

You will have to select both names and make the reservation under both of your names, otherwise you will only be charged for one person and you will have a reservation for only one person.

Thank you for the information - seems logical - but it always nice to check.

Matt

We booked 3 nights online so I called Ship Services to see about a refund.

First, I was told the $20 is a special sale as of May 1st. When I asked how long the sale is good for, the response was thru 2008.

Second, I was told to cancel and rebook. When I tried to cancel online, I realized that is not an option. So I called back and was told I could not cancel online but they could cancel my reservations and I could rebook online.

When I asked if I could just get a refund for the difference, the response was, of course - we are automatically giving OBC for the reservations made before 1 May.

I just left my reservations as is, and will hope for an OBC. :)

I'd like to reserve the PG for one night during our upcoming Westerdam Alaska 7 night cruise, but don't want to do it on a formal night. If I make a reservation, and realize I don't like the time, can it easily be changed? Just thinking about the Sitka port day, which leaves Sitka at 5 PM. In order to make the main production show, what do you suggest for time-frame? I'm thinking maybe a 6:30 PM dinner.

Thank you.

Are online reservations charged to your CC now, or are you charged once you eat at the Pinnacle Grill?

They are charged to your CC when you make the reservation.

At the risk of opening a can or worms (or maybe worms come in sealed pouches these days)...

We've not eaten in the PG, but are tempted to on our upcoming cruise.

I'm assuming that the PG charge does not cover any gratuity. Typically, who does one tip and what's a reasonable amount?

I've tried for a long time to make a reservation on line. First, they told me that my user name and password were wrong. I re entered all the info and got to the page where they asked if you were making reservations for a guest. I skipped that part and went on to put in our booking number and name. It bounced me out. Do I have to make the reservations under guest and list each of us separately? I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Anyone who has done this, please walk me through. Thanks.

I'm assuming that the PG charge does not cover any gratuity.

That's my understanding, although pennies of the auto-service charge are allocated to Pinnacle Grill staff. If you decide to give a tip do so in cash, and in an amount you would for a similar meal on land.

Bob, I totally agree with you. Palo has the best food and my family is from Northern Italy so I get homemade dishes that are wonderful. Still I commented to my dad that he would love Palo's food. I was shocked that the PG's charge was $30 and Palo's was only $10 when we went.

Bob, I totally agree with you. Palo has the best food and my family is from I was shocked that the PG's charge was $30 and Palo's was only $10 when we went.

That can be explained by Disney's significantly higher prices IMO.

Hello All:

My wife and I enjoy dining in the Pinnacle at least twice on each Cruise.

We always leave an extra tip of $10 - $20 depending on service for our waiter.

Then $5 - $10 for the WIne Steward, again depending on Service.

If we are leaving too little or too much I would appreciate your comments.

Also, we always wonder if they share with the busboys.

Matt

Hello All:

My wife and I enjoy dining in the Pinnacle at least twice on each Cruise.

We always leave an extra tip of $10 - $20 depending on service for our waiter.

Then $5 - $10 for the WIne Steward, again depending on Service.

If we are leaving too little or too much I would appreciate your comments.

Also, we always wonder if they share with the busboys.

Matt

We do the same.

At the risk of opening a can or worms (or maybe worms come in sealed pouches these days)...

We've not eaten in the PG, but are tempted to on our upcoming cruise.

I'm assuming that the PG charge does not cover any gratuity. Typically, who does one tip and what's a reasonable amount?

Ahh....one of the great mysteries of cruising!!

Coincidence...I was speaking with HAL Shipboard services last week, and asked exactly that question....whether the cover charge at the PG covered gratuities, and was told that that's exactly what it does cover....gratuities, and that there was no need to tip, except if, and as, desired, as an extra.

Kevin

Shore side telephone reps are often misinformed. The one you spoke with seems to fit that description. Pinnacle Grill charge is not a gratuity. It is a charge for a superior dinner. Additional tipping is always appreciated and appropriate.

Just returned and our $30/pp VISA charge was called attention to by myself at the front desk of the PG and a credit of $10/ea. was issued to our onboard account. I had made the reservation by phone and then, saw the $20 price in the daily schedule. They very willingly accommodated me.

Cover charges in specialty restaurants have the same function on EVERY cruise line. It is a very simple form of crowd control.

If the restaurant gets too busy, the cover charge goes up.

If the restaurant gets too slow, the cover charge goes down.

When NCL introduced their Freestyle Restaurants, they were not too sure about how demand would go. They adjusted the cover sharges every week in some cases, until just the right amount of pax were discouraged from going in.

Archived