Do you HAVE to be 55?

Winchester Ranger

We've never been bothered by the kids--and we usually cruise during March or April--prime "spring break" times!

I guess you could try one of the more "upscale" lines, that tend to cater to an older, more affluent crowd. Most families can't afford those rates, and kids would be bored, so....

I have never seen "senior cruises"

but have been on cruises with a lot more seniors than juniors!!:)

The more upscale lines & longer cruises seem to have less children.

We did a March cruise this year and only 1 child on board so if you choose the right time & ship you could avoid the "punks"

After having had a couple of cruises that had way too many kids and loud drunken idiots on them, the wife and myself (38 & 43 respectively) are looking to get away from the "punks".

Wondering about the senior cruises - are there any options for us?

Try Celebrity. They seem to cater to a more "senior" crowd and you'll find fewer children and drunks, as least that's been my experience. Celebrity is a little more expensive, but well worth the difference.

I think they are just billed as such to give discounts to seniors. I don't think there are any specific situations that pertain to seniors. Our last cruise gave us a senior discount but no difference otherwise. The name alone might generate more seniors but all other aspects are the same. As Chevycruiser says Celebrity might be a good choice.

I've never heard of specific seniors only cruises. And, even if there were, with the entire ship being chartered for that, they don't allow people under that age---kind of like those retirement communities where you MUST be at least 55 to live there.

If you want less kids, there are generally a few "rules" to follow.

Avoid cruising Carnival, RCCI and NCL. Those lines really cater to families.

Take cruises longer than 10 days

Take cruises when school is in session.

Cruise to more exotic locations like Asia or South America.

Cruise on lines such as Celebrity, Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea.

• 4 weeks later...
I think they are just billed as such to give discounts to seniors. I don't think there are any specific situations that pertain to seniors. Our last cruise gave us a senior discount but no difference otherwise. The name alone might generate more seniors but all other aspects are the same. As Chevycruiser says Celebrity might be a good choice.

How much of a senior discount is typical ? we purchased a cruise for our parents inthir 70's and I don't think we were given a discount by the TA we used ! I'll have to go check our papers.

We were on Oceania Istanbul to Athens last summer and there were no kids to speak of, maybe four or five. We will be on Azamara Baltics and Norway this year and, based on what I'm reading on CC, the situation appears to be the same. Try looking for a ship that offers no children's or teens' programs and has no video games, rock climbing walls, etc. Parents tend to take cruises where there will be activities for their kids--I know we did.

We have found, as others have mentioned, that the more expensive linses like HAL or the luxury lines have fewer children and party animals. For us, we like the mix of adult age ranges. The younger crowd has more energy on the ship and we have more fun.

How much of a senior discount is typical ? we purchased a cruise for our parents inthir 70's and I don't think we were given a discount by the TA we used ! I'll have to go check our papers.

Senior Discounts are not automatic. Sometimes special pricing is offered for seniors so we check frequently and see if a special pricing exists on cruises we already have booked; if so, we call up and get the discount. We saved a bundle on our Panama cruise last January and upgrade to a JS from a D1 on the Explorer of the Seas for only $200.00. RCI runs these specials frequently so it pays to keep checking. RCI has a 55+ option button in their search function which helps highlight these discounts.

We have not had a problem with too many children onboard but we do tend to book away from holiday dates. Our early April trip on the Navigator was the closest cruise to spring break we have ever taken; there were definitely more children but no problems.

Kathy:)

As mentioned, RCI has a 55+ option button when checking prices. Remember not all ships and cruises have specials for 55+. On Carnival web site, use PSE for the booking code and this will show if they have the 55+ rate. Another option to check for discounts is go to a web site like Yahoo travel. Select the month and line you are interested in then select 55+ and state to see if any discounts are available. This works for us all the time.

Archived