Tulle is Back????

gerif

I happened to walk through the downtown area of the town where I work at lunch today. It's a pretty upscale pricey area, so I only "window shop." One of the boutique shops had formal wear in their window - all of the gowns were made of tulle. I don't think I've seen this since the prom dresses of the early '60's. Granted, these were nicely draped rather than big and poofy and were in darker colors (eggplant, forest green) as opposed to the pink and white that I remember. Guess everything makes a comeback eventually.

Elbow length gloves is not too far off. A young girl and her mother came into my fabric department last week and were buying fabric to make a new pair of elbow length gloves for her to wear to the prom.

Also my DIL wore a beautiful bridal gown about 15 years ago, and it was tulle.

Well the skirt was tulle.:)

It is surprising to hear about the newly fashionable tulle gowns. They must be really cutting edge. Samantha Harris, one of the hosts of Dancing With the Stars wears a wide variety of formal gowns and none have had tulle this season. I don't recall any tulle gowns on the red carpet at the Oscars.

Tulle does bring back memories of my 1960 mint green tulle junior prom gown. I would love to see how they are designing gowns with tulle this year. It would be great to see some photos of those tulle gowns. I might be inspired to search out one for myself!!!

Wow! The "new" tulle is a lot different from what I remember! Am I remembering it wrong? I thought tulle was a stiff net fabric:confused:

Jan

No, the fine tulle was very soft and flowing - I remember making my wedding veil out of tulle (circa 1970). There were stiffer versions, but the "good" stuff was quite soft. The gowns I saw were more of a draped, Gecian style than the photo posted and did not have the "dots."

Tulle might enjoy a temporary revival with the "Sex in the City" movie due out this week because Sarah Jessica Parker wore a kind of 50s short tulle dress in an early episode and another similar one in one of the last episodes.

Either People Magazine or Entertainment Weekly, I forget which, has photos of these two outfits in this week's issue.

Speaking of "Sex in the City", ya'll know the movie comes out at

the end of the month.

Should be fun to see what the girls are up to:D....I never watched

the first run episodes so it wasn't until later I saw the show on TBS.

I am not any kind of a fashionista but I thought it was a fun

show.

The movie probably won't make an impact on World Peace but

it sure will be fun to laugh;)

Yes tulle is back!! I bought my DD graduations dress and on the bottom there tulle. Its not the soft kind its the stiff kind and she just loves it. I don't remember liking it myself but if she does then good for her!!:)

I have a black cocktail length dress I purchased at Ann Taylor about 2 years ago that had tulle on it with little rhinestones dotted all over the dress. Wore it for first formal night on our last cruise and got alot of compliments on it. A friend of mine called it my "prom dress". I just love it!

Tulle is definitely back and has come a long way. It's not always that stiff, poofy stuff of yesterday. I wore this dress to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and got a ton of compliments on it...and it was soft and really comfortable.

_5620983.jpg

I'm wondering if some stores, designers, manufacturers. etc are calling items tulle when they aren't really tulle. Here is what has always been considered tulle.

bevfabriccrafts_2003_119023599bevfabriccrafts_1999_202458602bevfabriccrafts_1999_202445474

bevfabriccrafts_2002_269404486

That is the less expensive tulle. There are different grades (don't know if that's the right term) as in softness, more fine (smaller holes), etc. There was also a time when tulle was starched, which sounds very uncomfortable. I've seen some lovely wedding gowns with ball gown skirts that were made of a very fine and soft tulle. The drape and movement was beautiful.

Those of you who were little girls in the mid 1960's are likely to have fond memories of these Barbie gowns:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1002165&t=vintage

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1002277&t=vintage

I would look at them in the Sears Wish Book and wish indeed. These doll clothes were too expensive for us, though! My mother did make a similar dress in lavender for my Barbie and Midge dolls, though. Mattel has made nostalgic reproduction dolls wearing these dresses, so I do own them now!

That is the less expensive tulle. There are different grades (don't know if that's the right term) as in softness, more fine (smaller holes), etc. There was also a time when tulle was starched, which sounds very uncomfortable. I've seen some lovely wedding gowns with ball gown skirts that were made of a very fine and soft tulle. The drape and movement was beautiful.

Yes, there are different grades of tulle, the one on the bolt is the fine, soft one used for gowns. I've worked with it and have made gowns.:)

Archived