Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

Even if you find a flight for 2009, it doesn't mean they won't change or cancel it by the time you are ready to fly. We booked our flight for Alaska months earlier, only to find out three and a half weeks prior, that the flight had been canceled. Talk about scrambling and extra expenses! The airline was willing to give us a choice of two other times, but this meant staying overnight and the connection times were brutal! I don't know whether it's better to book in advance or just wait.

Anyone else have recent experience with this?

• 3 weeks later...

I checked this morning on cruise-cal website and 8 ships have deviated their schedules due to Gustav & Hanna (2 more storms are also forming) There are 7 Carnival ships and 1 NCL ship running to safe harbors.

Gustav is staying a Catagory 3 ~~! I'm so happy our 'lit Seabourn yachts are in Europe and not the Caribbean. I was aboard the Pride last Oct. during hurricane Noah ~~Capt. Anderssen was advised by Miami NOT to continue to the Bahamas so we disembarked (unscheduled) in Port Canaveral. The Pride, after a 2 day wait, sailed for Nassau with 6 guests and 165 crew!:eek: (a charter)

My thoughts are with all the Gulf Coast residents ~~fingers/toers crossed!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Martita dearest, are you bracing for some fallout from the strike of Hurricane Ike?

My prayers are those in Texas and those who have already been hit. We were very blessed here in FL to have Ike track much further south than originally anticipated..... :o

Martita dearest, are you bracing for some fallout from the strike of Hurricane Ike?

My prayers are those in Texas and those who have already been hit. We were very blessed here in FL to have Ike track much further south than originally anticipated..... :o

I agree Matt, us Floridians are very very lucky with this one... However, I know why my area hasn't been hit..! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829976

Host Dan

Matt

Yes, Gov. Perry is already calling the National Guard and other sources for evacuation along the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Suppose to hit Friday and Sat. ~~

We need rain at the ranch, always ~~but certainly don't want/need hurricanes! Let's keep digets crossed it will lessen in strength before it hits the mainland.

MB

Matt

I'm afraid Galveston and surrounding areas will be hit hard.....it's been raining here off and on for three days. Wasn't in the forecast......very strange! If Ike continues the path the experts are suggesting we'll have lots of rain and wind Friday and Sat.

Thanks Sailor friends for all the thoughtful e-mails and the good wishes.

Martita B.

Matt

I'm afraid Galveston and surrounding areas will be hit hard.....it's been raining here off and on for three days. Wasn't in the forecast......very strange! If Ike continues the path the experts are suggesting we'll have lots of rain and wind Friday and Sat.

Thanks Sailor friends for all the thoughtful e-mails and the good wishes.

Martita B.

Hi Martha!

Please include me sending you and the people in Texas good wishes for "Ike". I don't like "Ike"!

I heard on the news this morning that thousands of people had to evacuate. Do you have to as well?

Good luck,

Marja

Marja

Mucho gracias for the good wishes! Most of South Texas will be leaving their homes and businesses today. My grandson left Galvez last evening. He's enrolled in Texas A&M, Galveston and the Mayor called for mandatory evacuation. As West Texas probably will be in the path we'll only receive high winds and rain on Sat.

I pray that IKE will lose some strength and will come ashore as a Cat. 3 ~~~ a Cat 4 would be devastating.

I was aboard the Pride in Canada when Rita hit the Coast a few years ago. Rita created lots of problems......all Texas airports were closed for a couple of days, etc.

Thanks again for your concern ~~:p

MB

Lola

It appears now storm Lowell (in the Baja now) will meet up with Ike in West Texas ~~(you might get rain in Tucson from Lowell) If this

happens we'll all be "drown rats" here on the lonesome range.

I heard on T.V. the Coastal evacuation is extensive ~~

We'll just keep the fingers and the toers crossed while "fiddling thumbs"......and waiting.

Thanks for your good wishes!:p

MB

Thanks Chairsin ~~I was just watching Fox News and Shepard Smith reporting Ike is as large as Texas! New motto: "Don't Mess With IKE!"

Houston and surrounding counties now evacuating ~~ schools and businesses closing today ~~hopefully we'll only have high winds and rain.....plus an influx of Coastal folks looking for shelters.

MB

Is the flooding from rain bands due to Ike?? :confused: We only got wind and a few storms on this side of FL.

Stay safe everyone!! :o

No, we have little to no rain..(its actually sunny and nice here right now). Its the storm surge causing the very very high tides..

Host Dan

In 1900 a huge hurricane ~~Cat. 4, hit Galveston killing 8,000 and totally flattening the city. I've seen pictures and it looked like a huge heap of 4X4 boards.......nothing else in the photos.

I was in Galveston July 20 & 21 and it's a charming coastal town. Most beautiful old homes I've seen anywhere.......including Charleston. My daughter and I saw a stage production in the old Opera House. It's been restored and quite impressive.

My heart goes out to those that will suffer from this catastrophe.

Martita B.