Poll: HAL Smoking Survey

Susan-M

Please provide an answer to each of the 3 sets of questions.  

1,786 members have voted

1. 1. Please provide an answer to each of the 3 sets of questions.

• I and/or my traveling companion(s) smoke.
    • I and/or my traveling companion(s) do NOT smoke.
    • I would cruise on HAL if smoking was prohibited in cabins and on balconies.
    • I would NOT cruise on HAL if smoking was prohibited in cabins and on balconies.
    • I would cruise on HAL if smoking was banned entirely.
    • I would NOT cruise on HAL if smoking was banned entirely

I do not smoke nor does my DH. I rarely notice smoke smell; however on my last Princess cruise the past passengers must have smoked non stop in the room. They graciously agreed to spray the room, steam clean the carpets and scrub down the night stand. It was the first time I ever smelled smoke on a solid surface. But I shouldn't have been surprised by the smell as there were burn marks on the night stand and in the carpet.

As an additional note re:smoking the last 2 hotels I stayed at had notes in the room saying they were "non smoking" and there would be a $200 charge for cleaning the room if you smoked in the room.

As a smoker I suspect we will be that 30% minority for sometime to come.

I can respect the fact that the non-smoking cruisers would appreciate their majority vote should be the reason for a cruise line's decision to alter company policy. Unfortunately a 65-70% majority does not give a group the right to ignore the minority's rights. In any business you cannot refuse to provide a service to a third of your potential customers.

I'm just wondering, if HAL does follow Celebrity's lead in tightening up on smoking, where will those of you who will stop cruising on HAL go?

What other cruise lines will you consider?

As a smoker I suspect we will be that 30% minority for sometime to come.

I can respect the fact that the non-smoking cruisers would appreciate their majority vote should be the reason for a cruise line's decision to alter company policy. Unfortunately a 65-70% majority does not give a group the right to ignore the minority's rights. In any business you cannot refuse to provide a service to a third of your potential customers.

Judging from the postings here and in previous threads, this continues to be a topic of interest for some. Like it or not, smoking-related issues can affect the quality of one's cruise experience (witness how many persons have been upset by smoke odors in their assigned cabins).

As Jemima suggested and from the responses, there appear to be more smokers on this board than in the general population (not that this is a bad thing). 2005 American Lung Association statistics indicated that 21% of American adults choose to smoke. That number is reduced to just 9% of Americans over 65 (a significant number of HAL customers).

"In any business you cannot refuse to provide a service..." Well, the state can. Minnesota enacted a statewide smoking ban a year ago and last I checked most bars and restaurants were still in business.

When HAL does a similiar poll (example AYWD) how long did it take to see a trial run?

Just wondering if HAL is doing polls now... How far down the road can we expect on not expect any trial runs on smoking restrictions?

When HAL does a similiar poll (example AYWD) how long did it take to see a trial run?

Just wondering if HAL is doing polls now... How far down the road can we expect on not expect any trial runs on smoking restrictions?

Exactly. I'm hoping they start their "trial run" on smoking restrictions sometime before we board Westerdam next February!:D

I am curious to see how the numbers turn out. Thanks for getting it started ;)
So far not much surprise: the non-smokers (157) still sail (151,156), and the smokers (75) do not (67,75).

Exactly. I'm hoping they start their "trial run" on smoking restrictions sometime before we board Westerdam next February!:D

Usha...... I most respectfully request from you......

I enjoy your posts and always try to read them but find the color and font very hard on my eyes. I don't have bad eyesight but for some reason the combination is tough to see, for me, and maybe for others.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

So far not much surprise: the non-smokers (157) still sail (151,156), and the smokers (75) do not (67,75).

I think the percentage of smokers here on this forum participating in this poll are a higher percentage than actually comprise the smoking group on most HAL cruises. I have inquired several times and have been told the percent of smokers on a many most (not all) HAL cruises is around 20-25 % max.

Usha...... I most respectfully request from you......

I enjoy your posts and always try to read them but find the color and font very hard on my eyes. I don't have bad eyesight but for some reason the combination is tough to see, for me, and maybe for others.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

Sorry, it's just that goofy, screaming pink fits me so well...:o

I think if they are going to make a change, it will have to happen soon. HAL will be acquiring some of the 'smoking' clients who are leaving cruise lines that have recently implemented more restrictive policies. If HAL leaves their policy as is, the increase in smoking clients may cause some non-smoking ones to 'jump ship'. HAL will then be left with the choice of being known as a 'smoker-friendly' line or implementing a restrictive policy at the expense of losing existing and newly acquired smoking clients. Somewhat of a predicament for them.

As Jemima suggested and from the responses, there appear to be more smokers on this board than in the general population (not that this is a bad thing). 2005 American Lung Association statistics indicated that 21% of American adults choose to smoke. That number is reduced to just 9% of Americans over 65 (a significant number of HAL customers).

You might be surprised to know that I am technically a "non-smoker" right now. I've been suffering from the effects of pnemonia, as well as some other health problems, and have had no choice but to give up smoking.

However, I still would be very upset if HAL banned smoking in the cabins ... because I feel that when one pays for a cabin, that cabin becomes their "home" for the duration of the cruise. They should be permitted to smoke in there if they so choose and as long as they can do so safely.

Now as for balconies, I don't know where I stand on that issue. I do understand it when others complain that they can't enjoy their balconies because there are others smoking on balconies located around them. So, I guess I could understand it to some extent if HAL began prohibiting smoking on balconies. But in the cabins? No, I'm sorry. I personally would have a real problem with that, whether or not I was a smoker come that time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You might be surprised to know that I am technically a "non-smoker" right now. I've been suffering from the effects of pnemonia, as well as some other health problems, and have had no choice but to give up smoking.

However, I still would be very upset if HAL banned smoking in the cabins ... because I feel that when one pays for a cabin, that cabin becomes their "home" for the duration of the cruise. They should be permitted to smoke in there if they so choose and as long as they can do so safely.

Now as for balconies, I don't know where I stand on that issue. I do understand it when others complain that they can't enjoy their balconies because there are others smoking on balconies located around them. So, I guess I could understand it to some extent if HAL began prohibiting smoking on balconies. But in the cabins? No, I'm sorry. I personally would have a real problem with that, whether or not I was a smoker come that time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sorry to hear you have been ill, Rita, and wish you speedy recovery. Hope all is well soon.

Sorry to hear you have been ill, Rita, and wish you speedy recovery. Hope all is well soon.

Thank you for your kindness, Sail.

Hope you are doing well from your recent difficulties as well.

Blue skies ... smooth seas ...

--rita

I think if they are going to make a change, it will have to happen soon.

I can't imagine they would implement such a major change as no smoking in cabins and/or on balconies (and in most indoor public areas of the ship) before January 2009. They would have to give people already booked plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I too have a difficult time reading posts in pink or red, and generally skip them. :)

That's interesting that some people have difficulty with red and pink ... does it also apply to other things such as greeting cards, book covers, signs, etc.? Maybe a topic for another poll?;)

I can't imagine they would implement such a major change as no smoking in cabins and/or on balconies (and in most indoor public areas of the ship) before January 2009. They would have to give people already booked plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita,

I agree... I should have said that if a change in policy is going to be implemented, it would probably need to be announced soon, but yes...some advance notice is required.

That's interesting that some people have difficulty with red and pink ... does it also apply to other things such as greeting cards, book covers, signs, etc.? Maybe a topic for another poll?;)

How about big, fat, goofy, screaming pink???:D

Archived