American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

With all the airline news, I really can't wait until current management of all the major US-based airlines force all the airlines into bankruptcy and then get bought out by foreign companies that know how to run an airline, make money and give great service. I have had fewer total problems all on my combined flights on foreign carriers than I get on just a single flight on any of the big US carriers. It's just frankly sad.

Yeah, you are right, bankruptcy of the major US carriers will be the answer to all your travel nightmares. I suppose you are not feeling the pinch of gas prices closing in on $4.00 per gallon. Last year this time oil was around $60 a barrel. Now it is over $130 per. Yet when airfare rises $5 each way there is caos in the streets. WOW. We are worried about keeping our jobs. Lets turn this caos toward the criminals that deserve it. THE OIL INDUSTRY. These are the scumbags that are pulling in record profits quarter after quarter.

there is no legal violation...but I do think its a terrible business decision...I wont be flying with AA in Sept thats for sure

ITA. They could have raised their fares by $15, hidden it in the price and no one would have even known...Instead, they've just ticked off a lot of past and potential customers.

After reading through all of the postings, I find it amazing that so few understand that with the increasing cost of fuel the airlines are losing millions every month and must take drastic action or go out of business.

With the forecasts of further increases, "you ain't seen nothin' yet"!!!!!

You can continue to gripe but air travel costs will continue to increase, and probably rapidly. AA has chosen to charge for baggage, others may choose to raise ticket prices.

To remain in business, a company of any kind must take in more money than it spends--period. That is just a fact.

If an additional 30 bucks stops you from traveling, that is your choice.

Have you filled up your car with gasoline lately??? It costs more doesn't it. Have you noticed that food prices have increased??? Have you stopped eating??

Perhaps looking at the root causes of the problem rather than the effects might help.

These new surcharges will also increase the time it takes to get through security as more folks will bring carry on luggage and it will take longer to screen.

My perdiction............

Buckle up for the International model. Your carry on bag (no "s" - read one) will be limited in size and weight. You will have to fit it in the sizing box as you go through security. It will be weighed when you check in. If it does not pass the size and weight requirements you will be required to check it.

Also, let's think of the larger picture....the baggage handlers who are currently employed who will now be laid off as fewer people check luggage, and they will then be unemployed...and who do you think will eventually help to shoulder that? Let's not get into a political discussion here....but it certainly makes you stop and say.....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:mad:

Who cares. The airline employees have much more to worry about ..... like if their airline stays solvent.

After reading through all of the postings, I find it amazing that so few understand that with the increasing cost of fuel the airlines are losing millions every month and must take drastic action or go out of business.

You can continue to gripe but air travel costs will continue to increase, and probably rapidly. AA has chosen to charge for baggage, others may choose to raise ticket prices.

To remain in business, a company of any kind must take in more money than it spends--period. That is just a fact.

Have you filled up your car with gasoline lately??? It costs more doesn't it. Have you noticed that food prices have increased??? Have you stopped eating??.

AMEN......

Perhaps looking at the root causes of the problem rather than the effects might help.

And we can start with the eco-****s that have stopped ... just to name a few.......nuclear energy, oil drilling and refinery construction.

Not good news, but not quite as bad as it sounds. There are quite a few exceptions including international travel and Advantage Gold (and above) frequent fliers. This is from AA's website

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

-For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008

-For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008

-Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

-Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class

-Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets

-Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®

-Customers traveling on government or military fares

-Military passengers on active duty

-AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members

-Oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members

-Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

-AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets

-First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

-AAirpass travel

Toto, I wonder what affect these new restrictions will have on formal night on cruises, what with having to pack additional clothes. We did formal nights on our first cruise, but decided it wasn't worth our time after that to pack an extra suitcase, and now I have an even better excuse.

Mike

My guess? Some will still think paying the extra for checked bags are worth attending formal nights onboard. But I think there will be just as many that will say 'to heck with it' and the buffet is going to start becoming very very crowded soon. ;)

What are you guys packing? I can stuff more than enough clothes, including 3 formals...I like to have an extra choice...for a 10 day cruise in one suitcase. When I pack, I try to mix and match my daywear. For eveningwear, I pack a different dress for each night...and a spare. The fabrics I pick are lightweight and easy to pack and therefore I have no problem bringing what I want. Smart packing is the way to go.

Don't you think in the near future, we will start seeing branches of UPS and certain convenience or drug stores next to the piers? They will be there to ship and receive your suitcases. The stores will be there to stock your favorite toiletries in sizes just big enough for the length of your cruise. Just a thought...

I'm so tired of the fees. I travel a lot for work, and while the full fare economy ticket would exempt me from the luggage fees, it still disgusts me. I asked our company travel agent to cancel my flight to DFW on American tomorrow and rebook me into Dallas Love on Continental. Yes, I have to change planes, but no fees and I feel better.

I agree with everyone who is cringing at the thought of the boarding process. I don't care if they board by zone or row it is going to be chaos with people looking for overhead space and trying to shove their steamer trunks into the bins.

The airlines need more money to continue safe operation - it isn't like they are making lots of money and I'm sure they don't want to have to do things they know will upset their customers. I don't know how they continue to operate with year after year of tremendous losses. we will lose more airlines through this economic downturn unless they are afforded a way to improve the bottom line - and we certainly don't want them skimping on safety. That being said, this particular charge doesn't affect us at all- we do a land trip to Europe every year or so for about 13-15 days and do it with a 21" piece of luggage each and a tote bag. After having lost and delayed luggage in the past, we haven't checked anything in years. We are in usually in a cab and halfway to our destination and most people are still waiting (while giving us dirty looks for carrying on "legal" size luggage) for their oversized bags that have to be lugged around. SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY! On vacation I can pretty much guarantee that very few people will notice if you are wearing the same thing more than once. Common sense, appropriate travel clothing and good packing techniques make traveling so much more enjoyable.

Well said. We agree with you 100%. The past few years,we have only toted one carry on size bag for each of us. Even cruises of more than ten days and temperate climate itineraries posed no problem with proper planning.

Good luck all.

I too, think this is utterly DISGUSTING!!! They charge enough to fly on their darn planes and now we have to pay to eat AND carry our clothes with us when we fly around the country???!!!!! GET REAL AA!!!!! What is next? Pay to have a seatbelt?? Pay to use the bathroom? Pay for each square of toilet tissue we use? I swear there are people in a little room conspiring on what they can charge us for next. This is just ridiculous. I just bet other airlines will follow too.

Please! Don't give them any more ideas! - LOL!

AA is one of the last airlines to annouce they are charging for bags. If you already purchased a ticket, it will not affect you. I am Advantage Platinum on AA and Gold Medallion on Delta, so paying extra for bags doesn't concern me. If you are using AA miles for a free ticket, you also won't have to pay for bags.

Until there is some stability in the oil markets, there will be more of this. Would you rather see the airlines have to stop flying as they won't be able to afford the fuel, or cut the schedules so much and increase ticket prices that will make it impossible for the average person to buy one??

For now consider it all in the cost of traveling. I have no less than 100 employees on airplanes each week, think how we like it.

What are you guys packing?

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve gone on 17 day cruises before with two tuxes and did not repeat any clothing – except for shorts during the day - I only brought six pair - for the 17 days…got it all into two checked bags and a carry on. What’s the big deal?

The fact of life now is that it costs more to travel. In your car, in a plane, in a ship. It costs more to transport goods. The cost of everything is going up because the price of fuel affects it. Milk costs more because of what it costs to deliver it to the store. You cannot have the same kind of vacation you had two years ago for the same price, no matter if you bring formal clothes or not. I still maintain that if the price of checking your bags is enough to blow your vacation budget, you‘re not budgeting effectively.

Perhaps this new ruling will stop people from rolling on coolers of beer and dragging on cases of alcohol. How about all those power strips and duct tape?

Besides, if the cost of additional bags is that prohibitive, you can bring some quarters and do laundry on board.

Buckle up for the International model. Your carry on bag (no "s" - read one) will be limited in size and weight. You will have to fit it in the sizing box as you go through security. It will be weighed when you check in. If it does not pass the size and weight requirements you will be required to check it.
This can't come soon enough for me. It's amazing what people lug onboard a flight and then get angry if they can't find room in the overhead bin. All the extra stuff people carry onboard delays boarding the plane and de-planing. One time right before departure for a 6-hour flight, a guy got on the plane, the overhead bins were full so he took someone's stuff out, put it on the floor and put his own stuff in it's place. I couldn't believe it! The woman meekly retrieved her belongings and stuffed them under the seat in front of her so that she had no leg room for the flight.

For my 31-day cruise plus four days in Sydney, I checked one 25" bag and one 18' bag. My carry-on was a rolling backpack and I didn't have a purse or anything else other than a neck roll for the very, very long flight. And yes, I dressed up for all five formal nights plus there was even stuff that I didn't use and shouldn't have brought.

AA is one of the last airlines to annouce they are charging for bags. If you already purchased a ticket, it will not affect you. I am Advantage Platinum on AA and Gold Medallion on Delta, so paying extra for bags doesn't concern me. If you are using AA miles for a free ticket, you also won't have to pay for bags.

Until there is some stability in the oil markets, there will be more of this. Would you rather see the airlines have to stop flying as they won't be able to afford the fuel, or cut the schedules so much and increase ticket prices that will make it impossible for the average person to buy one??

For now consider it all in the cost of traveling. I have no less than 100 employees on airplanes each week, think how we like it.

I agree with you!! They and all airlines have to do something.......and while I don't like the charges anymore than any other poster on the boards, it is just something they have to do. CNBC reported today that in the last 52 weeks, oil has gone up 102% and just since January 1 it has gone up 32%.........and it's going higher.........there was an article about two weeks ago in the local business section that United I believe flys non stop to China from Chicago......if there plane is 100% full, it said the cost per passenger in just fuel alone was $500.......before any salaries, or other costs.

I don't have an answer, I don't like the additional fees.......but am smart enough they had to do something......maybe just raising airfare is the answer.......but they have to do something.

Don't flame me for this!

But, while I'm not happy at the price of what I will have to pay to check my luggage........I'm more so concerned about the PITA that it has become with carryon's.......

I would also rather they charge for anything other than a purse or laptop bag as a carryon.

We fly Allegiant Air, which I love the direct flights .....we pay to pick our seat, pay to ck any bags, pay for a drink, pay for a snack but the FARES are LOW in comparison to AA and UAL. (about 300 vs 450 to Las Vegas) HOWEVER, because most people won't pay the $10 to check a bag the carryons are PATHETIC........

Everyone carries on two bags and the gate agents don't monitor the size.

In Feb I had a guy get irritated cuz I wouldn't take my bag out of the overhead so he could put his HUGE oversized bag in it. Flight attendant asked what the deal was and he THREW his bag down in the aisle and claimed "she won't move her bag" .......I promptly and nicely said "I'm sorry,, I thought I was entitled to one bag of carryon".....Flt Attn took his bag up front....she SHOULD have thrown him off the plane.....

This is only the beginning of what flying is going to be like....

Guess we'll start driving.......price of gas will be high but at least I won't have to be fighting for my space.

Have you filled up your car with gasoline lately??? It costs more doesn't it. Have you noticed that food prices have increased??? Have you stopped eating??

AA will need to charge more than $15 to keep their current executive bonus program in place. Maybe they can fire a few more loyal employees. :rolleyes:

I agree with you!! They and all airlines have to do something.......and while I don't like the charges anymore than any other poster on the boards, it is just something they have to do. CNBC reported today that in the last 52 weeks, oil has gone up 102% and just since January 1 it has gone up 32%.........and it's going higher.........there was an article about two weeks ago in the local business section that United I believe flys non stop to China from Chicago......if there plane is 100% full, it said the cost per passenger in just fuel alone was $500.......before any salaries, or other costs.

I don't have an answer, I don't like the additional fees.......but am smart enough they had to do something......maybe just raising airfare is the answer.......but they have to do something.

Very well said Jim...

Yes, the reality of the situation sucks, but it is all we have, so we all have to learn to live with it!

BILL

Equating airfare to gasoline and/or food is a little much. Two are necessities and one is optional. Going hungry or not being able to get to ones job or family is entirely different than flyoing to a vacation. Also, it seems to me if 30 bucks is alright, how about 50, 100.

And there are plenty of people who cannot manage to not take any luggage on a cruise. A carry on might work for a 3 day but most of us who take a 7' date=' 8 or 10 day cruise need our luggage.

Please tell me how you manage to cruise without luggage short of wearing the same thing every day.[/quote']

You could wear all your clothes by layering them over each other and pack your undies and shoes and other stuff on your carryon. :D It might be hard to walk around the airport with all those layers of clothes on, but hey you don't have to go to baggage pick up either, lol.

jk

For my September cruise, I booked my tickets on AA 330 days out using my free air miles. So, I know I am safe as far as having them before May, as far as the luggage fee goes. Unless free miles do not count? EDIT: (I just found that information on the AA site and I am covered to take my baggage for free. 2 bags each) This site answers all questions. ;)

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

They are bad enough normally with canceling flights and changing times.

Now I wonder if I will even have a flight to get on?

I'm concerned about canceled flights too!!:( I was reading that they are all ready cutting back flights. It said they are going to have fewer flights, the planes that were grounded recently. Because they are "gas guzzlers"!

If you travel enough it maybe time to look into bigger sized luggage. Maybe one of those giant rolling duffles - they look like they hold a lot of stuff.

They may hold "a lot" of stuff, but remember......you can't go over 50 lbs!!!!;)

Archived