American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

For those of you who can put a decent point together (eg AA will lose revenue to to this first bag penalty......), try emailing:

Sean Bentel

Manager, customer relations

(817) 963-1234

sean.bentel@aa.com

Secondary contact (*)

(Note: American says e-mailing its executives is the slowest way to get a response from the carrier. Slower than sending it a letter. Slower than faxing it.)

Ralph Richardi

Senior vice president, customer services

(817) 963-1234

ralph.richardi@aa.com

Chief executive (*)

Gerard J. Arpey

President and chief executive officer

(817) 963-1234

gerard.arpey@aa.com

Money talks - and so do your voices....

Unfortunatley these are the same upper level executives that I wrote about in my earlier post..they received MILLIONS in bonuses not too long ago...while we have to pay $15.00, $25.00, $100.00 just to bring along our necessities.

This really chaps my hide since I am forced to fly AA on my next cruise because they seem to be the only airline that can get me nonstop from LAX to FLL or MIA without taking a red eye, which I can't do with kids. We will have like 8-9 bags for the 5 of us, and I will be paying $15 per bag-that's insane.:mad:

You are paying for a convenience - even with kids, a red eye can work - or even a one stop - it's a hassle, but may be fiscally rewarding...

Sample RT from LAX to FLL with one stop:

$237 (UAL - west palm beach, $257 FLL)

$299 (AA - west Palm Beach, $300 FLL)

Sample non-stop fares:

$369 AA (direct MIA)

$375 Jet Blue (Long Beach - FLL)

$380 Spirit (direct to FLL)

I'd encourage people to stay away from AA for a while - especially if you can find a cheaper fare!

And I don't think it's $15 - it is $30 round trip....

Absolutely ridiculous since I can no longer pack my cosmetics and toiletries in my carry on luggage. Regardless of how frugal I am when packing, there is no way around these items and I automatically have to check in at least one bag. I wouldn't be surprised if someone challenges this in court.

Spirit Air has been doing this for awhile. Im curious what law are they violating? You can always choose not to fly Spirit or AA. Delta said today they they have no plans to follow suit.

So Im sure all the airlines wont jump on the bandwagon...at least for awhile

They already charge you a fuel surcharge so how are they trying to say that the baggage charge is also a fuel surcharge?

American Airlines is a dirty company which I fly. They drive any discount airline out of DFW airport by creating same routes at a cheaper price until they bow out. They go in debt millions trying to punish Southwest airlines at Love Field in Dallas by doing the same dirty tactics. They will not raise their fares by $15 because others will not follow and that would force them to give in. This is guaranteed money above and beyond where they set their fares. If there is an option at DFW, I'll be taking it.:(

And this is something I don't even see succeeding due to FAA laws. Now people have no way to take some items with them while flying. It's just going to put the travel business out of business.

What FAA laws?? They can take the same things as before, they just have to pay $15 for the first bag.

It would be nice if RCCL starts putting laundry rooms on their ships so that their passengers will not need to bring so much luggage. Although we enjoyed our cruise with Royal Caribbean, I really missed having the laundry facilities that all of the other cruise lines that we have vacationed with provided. Knowing that you could throw in some laundry part way through the trip sure would cut down on the packing. For a family of four it can get pretty pricey to use RCCL's laundry services.

Paying to have your luggage shipped is very expensive. Of course if the convenience is worth it then go for it. However it will cost you much more than $15 per bag. I personally don't have a problem with the airlines raising cost to cover fuel increases, however I do mind them telling me they will charge me extra for something I have no control over since I can't carry most of my cosmetics and toiletries on board and have to check them in.

Pretty sure on AA's website it said the 3rd and 4th bags are $100 each.

Yep, here it is....

Q. How much will it cost to check more than two bags?

A. For flights within the United States the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada:

$100 per piece for the 3rd, 4th and 5th checked bags

$200 per piece for the 6th checked bag and any additional pieces

I would think that would only apply if all the bags were registered to one passenger. If you have multiple pax, you simply assign the extra bags to seperate people.

2P.P1

Please note that on the new American regulations, you are exempt if you use frequent flyer miles! I thought that was interesting...(I hope I read that right!)

That's because it's next to impossible to use those FF miles unless you are extremely flexible! (That's another thing they make difficult for passengers!)

I've never seen an industry that treats it's customers the way airlines do. Even the post office is nicer!

I would think that would only apply if all the bags were registered to one passenger. If you have multiple pax, you simply assign the extra bags to seperate people.

2P.P1

I was trying to figure it out also, but ElvisandTracy said that they were a family of 5 w/ 8 to 9 pieces of luggage (sounds like a question on a math test:D :D ) so that would mean if they assigned each traveler 1 piece of luggage (@$15 each)that would still leave 3 to 4 pieces leftover. So at least 3 to 4 travelers would have to claim and extra piece of luggage at the $25 charge. So that would mean and extra $150 to $175 EACH WAY!

Whew, ok no more math today please:D

American Airlines will be charging for 1st bag! $15.00 x 4 x 2 (there and back)for our upcoming Liberty trip adds an extra $120! eeek!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_airlines_reductions

If you travel enough it maybe time to look into bigger sized luggage. Maybe one of those giant rolling duffles - they look like they hold a lot of stuff.

[*]Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold

My husband is EXP on AA so I'll be traveling with him or traveling on miles on AA from now on. He travels 5 days every week and almost never takes more than a garment bag and a laptop case.

Even though this won't apply to me when I cruise (for now, anyway), given this trend, I expect to see some changes in formal nights. There's no way I'm hauling two sets of formalwear for each for us on a 10-day cruise if I have to pay additional for our bags. I'll be giving a whole new meaning to recycling.

I'll be passing on formal night, can't pack for it anymore. If RCL is paying attention I want to tell them although I cruise with them more often then any other cruise line i may be switching to Princess because as an Elite member of Princess i get free laundry and dry cleaning which just became a gold mine since i need to underpack in one suitcase.

That's because it's next to impossible to use those FF miles unless you are extremely flexible! (That's another thing they make difficult for passengers!)

We have about a bazillion miles and it's been difficult to put them to use this year. Right now, I'm booking flights for a cruise that's several months out, and to use saver-miles, we'll have to fly in two days early. I'm also booking some Christmas travel for my parents on our miles, and there are a LOT of dates between Thanksgiving and New Year's that aren't available for their route.

As much as it pains me to say it...I suspect we also will be considering, for the first time, cruises on other lines that sail from Galveston. (Can you hear me now, Princess???)

Wait a minute... Are you telling me that now I have to PAY $15 so they can lose my bag?!:eek: :mad:

If you fly say JFK - San Juan and your baggage is diverted to Barcelona - you pay a rt ticket from JFK - BCN and then BCN to SJU for your bag.

I happened to catch Live with Regis & Kelly one day when Kelly had just returned from a vacation. Her strategy for checked/carry on luggage - she packs everything and has it mailed to her destination (the resort). I could see this working if you had a pre-cruise hotel night (I don't think the cruise line would accept delivery). I am seriously considering doing this for our cruise in September - just think no luggage hassles at all. I have already checked with the hotel and they will accept delivery since we have a guaranteed room.

As another poster already mentioned, you should price out the cost of shipping a 50lb package, even two day overnight is far more then what any airline is charging. Frankly flying has been a deal the past few years, time for flying prices to rise to a level where the service providers can actually make a living doing the business :mad:

I was just talking about that to a co-worker. Now everyone will be trying to cram everything into carryon, which will take forever for boarding as everyone tries to stuff them in the overhead compartments. Yuck!

Archived