American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

You can't even cary ON half of the stuff you pack anyway. It's all restricted! They will loose business. I flew with them on our honeymoon and had been considering them for our next trip. There is no way I will fly someplace that expects me to pay to bring my clothes. They haven't even seen the impact of going from 2 bags to 1, they think going to none is a good idea....

Geeze!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

These are the exception rules from AA's website

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

• For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
  • For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
  • Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
  • Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
  • Customers traveling on government or military fares
  • Military passengers on active duty
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
  • oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
  • AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
  • First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
  • AAirpass travel

How do you get to $520? $15 first bag + $25 second bag = $40, x 4 pax = $160, x round trip = $320.

Indeed, seems like your math agrees with mine and $320 is the magic number.

Since American was the last of the legacies to introduce a fee for the second checked bag, I'm betting the other carriers will follow suit with a fee for the first checked bag ... and it likely will be more than $15/way.

In the end, we Americans will learn either to pack smarter, allow for the extra baggage fee, or simply stay home. People who live in other parts of the world have been subjected to either extra bag fees or less generous weight allowances for some while ... we all have become spoiled and entitled here. For us, we may have considered two short cruises in a year ... and will now look to one longer (14-day or more) trip. And we'll leave all the unnecessary crap at home, or we'll pay the fee.

Anyone who has bought gas lately should be able to understand that the cost of jet fuel is causing the carriers to bleed red ink like crazy. As an alternative to the extra bag fees ... would we all be happier if the airlines simply raised roundtrip fares by some $80 to $100 more than today's prices?

I'm sure that the rest of the airline community is lurking to see if this will take effect without AA suffering serious consequences. If it does, we'll see more jump on the this fee for your first bag band wagon.

Even if the other airlines quickly follow suit my suggestion is this: Punish the first, in this case AA, so severely through canceled reservations and refusal to book with them that they become an example to the rest. Do so even if every other airline follows suit making certain that the others know for future consideration that the first airline to impose such fees gets clobbered without mercy by the whole traveling public.

I ALWAYS try to pack with carry-on only. Lost luggage, long check-in lines, and the baggage-carousel-of-endless-gloom were reason enough for me. The $15 charge just adds insult to injury.

It's tough, but I've even done a 10-night Med cruise (plus overnight in Athens!) with carry-on only. 7 nights is usually my max, but I had a tight connection.

If you're game to try, I'd recommend my favorite packing list, and tips for carry-on packing.

It's from *****.com's guide to cruises.

From AA.com website....

Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place.

Reading this is like me trying to figure out algebra :eek: I can't make heads or tails out of which catagory I fall in? I bought my tickets last year but I am traveling home on June 15th.

Also does anyone know which flights are being cut? It would be my luck that they cut SanJuan:(

Do you really think oil will last forever? It won't. Face it, we need to find a better source of energy - and not NUCLEAR either. That has problems enough on its own with not having a way to dispose of the waste.

Actually that is one of the best choices. The problems are a lot of hype and misunderstandings.

But like the ..... *Cough* "Woman" Jane Fonda says.... something like "Every reactor in this country is operated critical and that has got to stop"

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA

The next thing that will happen is that they will start weighing each passenger as they check in and assessing a "charge" for every pound over the "average".

Yeah, but, what if I do only have a small carry-on cuz I'm going to my fully-stocked beach house. Why should I be penalized for the extra space, weight and processing of someone elses 2 checked bags? At least this way I can avoid the fees if I really want to. I like having the choice.

If it serves to decrease the overall weight of the plane, that does help fuel mileage. Not a lot, but some.

This isnt about decreasing weight to up fuel mileage. They're going to run the planes at max weight, just putting on more frieght that makes them more money than passengers. (See 1950s and 60s railroads)

that AA policy on second bags was just straw that broke the camels back for me. I realize they probably need the revenue to cover their costs but when I heard that, for some reason, it just reinforced my conviction that I wanted no part of airlines or airplanes this summer. Booked a cruise on the Conquest out of nearby Galveston the next day. I bet I'm not the only one.

I flew Delta 2 weeks ago to San Juan for a cruise. The rule for a 2nd bag changed in the middle of our trip meaning we could take 2 bags per person with no fee on the way there but on the way home, it would be 25 for each bag over. Delta would not bypass the fee even though we had booked our flights in November 17. We did the luggage express which was 15 a person and well worth it through the ship and were not charged the 25 for the 2nd bag. Just a thought for some of you if the cruiseline offers luggage express.

that AA policy on second bags was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I realize they probably need the revenue to cover their costs

but when I heard that, for some reason, it just reinforced my conviction

that I wanted no part of airlines or airplanes this summer.

Booked a cruise on the Conquest out of nearby Galveston the next day. ===> Stop flying!

I bet I'm not the only one. ===> You're not!

I'm like you. I have definite cut-off points, price-wise

and when it reaches that, I'll find a way to simply do without!

You and I are not alone.

This discussion today has revealed much, I reckon.

If Carnival's reading this stuff, they should be scratching their little heads!

Their stock isn't doing so well.

It's actually starting to get real. Soon be time to Buy!

I am wondering about people who purchased their tickets before this went into effect, then are traveling later. When they purchased, they had a contract stating the first bag was free (similar to what happened with the RCCL et al when they retroactively put in the fuel surcharge)...

Doesn't help the rest of my party though-and I'm not sure thay I have any particular status other than mileage points.

Actually yes it would help the rest of your party as given on AA.com today the fees are waived for anyone with status, anyone traveling on the same PNR with a person with status, and anyone with status on a partner (alliance) carrier.

Its not hard to find folks. The link is in the center of the aa.com page. Explains it all right there.

And you can get AA status for as little as a flight across the country if you put it in the right fare bucket.

We fly AA exclusively to PR and Dominican Rep, but after this, we will probably fly JetBlue or Spirit even though their travel times are not as good. We will be exempt for the first bag to Dominican Republic, so at least that is good. But it is getting to the point that you can't even take luggage to travel anymore! I mean come on - you go on a B2B cruise out of San Juan and they think you can get by with 2 carryons - when you can't take any toiletries over 3 oz. Get real.

I sent an email to AA already voicing my displeasure (sure it doesn't do any good). I understand the fuel issue, and never complained when the cruise lines put in the Fuel Charge and even said "Okay, don't like it, will deal with it" for the 2nd checked bag. But NO CHECKED BAGS??? Are they insane!!!

I don't know why everybody on this thread is so compilant to this new charge. Fight back. Write AA and complain. Fly with somebody else.

Let them know. Why do we have to accept whatever they try and shove at us? Get mad!

I am wondering about people who purchased their tickets before this went into effect, then are traveling later. When they purchased, they had a contract stating the first bag was free (similar to what happened with the RCCL et al when they retroactively put in the fuel surcharge)...

I called Delta and stated the exact same thing but they would not budge. They even had in their contract that all rules on the ticket on the first day of the trip applied for the entire trip. Yet they still insisted we pay for the extra bag on the way home. I didnt want to push it and get stuck in Puerto Rico altho a few more days would of been nice:)

I'm wondering if the valet service (or whatever it's called) will change. It was $20-25 to have your bags sent directly to your destination. Will it now be that fee plus the bag charges?:eek: They always ruin a good thing!

Archived