washing silk and cotton jacket question

Marcys

Hi!

I have a dressy off-white short sweater/jacket from Talbot's that I'd like to bring along for the cooler areas of the ship. It's 80% silk and 20% cotton and says to dry clean only. Has anyone tried handwashing this type of material and laying it flat to dry? I wear it a lot and hate to keep spending the money to send it out for claeaning.

I would do as the label says--sometimes silk does funny things if it wasn't made to get wet! Or, try that Dryel (home dry-cleaning in your dryer) That has worked for me to freshen dry-clean only objects. If it's soiled, tho, I'd take it to a professional.

If it's a jacket, it doesn't need cleaning every time you wear it! (Unless you're a "spiller!")

I"ve hand-washed silk many times, but almost always BEFORE it was made into a garment, or if it was a solid color and not a fiber blend. It'll *probably* be OK (they didn't have dry-cleaning way back when...), but I wouldn't chance it unless you're willing to take the chance of shrinking in odd directions, and colors running or fading.

I"ve hand-washed silk many times, but almost always BEFORE it was made into a garment, or if it was a solid color and not a fiber blend. It'll *probably* be OK (they didn't have dry-cleaning way back when...), but I wouldn't chance it unless you're willing to take the chance of shrinking in odd directions, and colors running or fading.

I ahve washed things that said dry clean only and egreted it. the shape was ruinned on the garment.

No thee ws no dry celaning so peopel would songe lightly a water leon juice mixture to get out smells on soem garmets. Others they would wipe it down with dry corn meal to get out smells. Once a garment was severlly stained the person would dispose of it-unless they could not afford to replace it.

I would usually say hand wash or wash in your washer if you have a delicate cycle if it was 100% silk or 100% cotton. The problem with your garment, is the two different fabrics may shrink at a different rate, ruining your garment.

Advise you dry clean only.

Agreed. Being off-white, the color won't be an issue, but the blend would worry me. You might get some puckering or distortion. Sometimes silk can be iron-dried back into the correct shape (I do this with chiffon scarves all the time) but a jacket is a much more complex shape.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested Dryel. If it were a less constructed garment such as a simple dress or shell, I would probably hand wash, but a jacket is tricky and I have not had much luck with washing them

simplelife, maybe I described it wrong. I think it is a simple lightweight shell, bolero type sweater. I tried to find it on Talbot's website to post here, but couldn't find it. Does this change anything?

Oh, that is different then - I was thinking of a lined jacket. I successfully wash my Talbot's sweaters. Hand wash with Woolite and air dry.

I find that Talbot's (and most upscale retailers) say dryclean on almost everything (I've even seen it on T-Shirts!) I think this is just to protect them from complaints - so many people don't use care when washing.

I do wonder sometimes if they have stock in dry-cleaning companies:D

gold embroidered $200 jacket. worn once!.was smoked in my apt fire /doorway hanger to a thing that looked like it had been used to scrub a bar floor...I kept putting of washing/cleaning..I made a mix of M-30, Dawn, Gain, oxy, and. Febreeze I melted the M-30, (from DollarTree) in very hot water..cooled a bit..put all the other stuff in whisked to mix.used about 3 to 4 cups water.dunked it in a huge pot, and soaked 20/30 minutes..took it to the L'mat...w some other smoke stained chiffon, white and cream things..added a little more Gain..1/2 load w. full water load.on gentle.I didnt use clothes dryer,,hung on a J'Mag hanger to dry..no shrinking..dampened and wrapped to fused in dampness...pressed it on wrong side,on top of a bath towel to keep embroid from getting flat.. then used a top press cloth to fine tune around the embroid..and took it on my May 2oth cruise. The K'mat lady saw the b4 and after, and cuddnt believe what I had done!..it worked! I only Dry clean hubys dress Blues, and suits..hand wash all other stuff..even pure silks

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update...I washed the bolero vest in a mesh bag on delicate with Delicare. Then I laid it flat on a white towel and "ironed" it with my hands and it looks great!

Good for you. I have washed various silk things and they have all come out just fine. There were too many naysayers on the thread that I wasn't going to push it.;)

I even threw a silk/cotton sweater that I didn't care about in the washer and dryer and it was fine also.

I wash natural fiber sweaters all the time, but won't do lined trousers or a tailored/constructed piece like a jacket. I think it was the original description of the item as a "jacket" that gave most people pause.

Glad it worked out for you!

I would follow the instructions and dry clean. Really the only silk that can be washed are articles made from prewashed silk. I have washed Duponi silk pants but they were never the same again. It changed the finish and texture of the silk and the material was limp. Sadly they ended up going to Sally Ann.

Archived