FREAKING OUT passport question!!

I have a 3 year old daughter and we were looking at her passport last night and they put her gender as a male :eek: i sail the 21st of this month on my wedding cruise and i am wondering if she willl need it to sail? will her birth certificate be ok? when i check in online and it asks for the passport # should i put that one even with the mistake??

I have a 3 year old daughter and we were looking at her passport last night and they put her gender as a male :eek: i sail the 21st of this month on my wedding cruise and i am wondering if she willl need it to sail? will her birth certificate be ok? when i check in online and it asks for the passport # should i put that one even with the mistake??

Inspiration_bride,

She'll be fine. Just bring the birth certificate just in case, but I wouldn't mention it if they don't catch it. Odds are they won't even look at it. I carry my three sons passports with me and they rarely look at them.

I agree use the birth certificate. Make certain it is the correct kind, printed on the special paper or with a raised seal.

Also it took them JUST 8 days to get new passports. You might want to check and shee if thy will send you a new one... they messed up....

Happy sailing!

Nancy

My daughter's name was misspelled in her passport (my fault, when I printed the form on the computer I didn't notice that the L and I looked the same on that font). Since it was less than 30 days from the date of issuance, I just mailed it back to the center that mailed the passport with the correction form, the passport. her birth certificate and a new photo. I received the corrected passport in one week. If it has been longer than 30 days then you have to mail it to the address on the form.

Passports are not required yet, and since your cruise is soon you'll be fine. Bring both the passport and her birth certificate and you'll be fine (and in the meantime, have them issue you a new passport since they screwed up - who knows, maybe they'll expedite it for you).

The incorrect passport will have to be sent back for the correction. She's better off with just the Birth Certificate, or bring the passport too and send it back once they're back from their cruise.

I would call them and let them know of THEIR mistake. Maybe they will expedite but to be perfectly honest, their normal speed should get to you in more than enough time. It only took us 10 days. They are really fast. I would chance sending it back and if it isn't back, use the birth certificate.

so i called the passport office and they gave me an address to send her old one and two new photos (over night at my expense) and they will overnight back to me. Not too sure if i should do it before or after i come back. maybe should just do it and get it over with....

Inspiration_bride,

She'll be fine. Just bring the birth certificate just in case, but I wouldn't mention it if they don't catch it. Odds are they won't even look at it. I carry my three sons passports with me and they rarely look at them.

I know the cruise is almost gone now but when we checked in on our April cruise all they did was scanned the passport and matched it up with the person. They never gave it a second look. The CCL rep there spent more time talking to us and getting some additional info that the PP was not even a major issue. I think it was more that I had it, so he'll use it.

I think you'll be fine.

We were told that we HAD to have a passport, we are not sailing until Nov and i even checked into getting the passport cards since we are doing the Mexcian Riviera Cruise but i am a little confused as to what we need this is our first cruise so any help would be great. Thanks

There was a thread several weeks(months?) ago that talked about a child being under a certain - not sure of that age - being considered a "male" regardless of gender... it had to do with the computer used by the State Dept. It seems that many young children are "males" until you reach some age. If you google or search on this website you will find more info.

We were told that we HAD to have a passport, we are not sailing until Nov and i even checked into getting the passport cards since we are doing the Mexcian Riviera Cruise but i am a little confused as to what we need this is our first cruise so any help would be great. Thanks

You will find many threads on this topic. The best place for information is the US State Department web site. Just google passport to find it.

The answer to your question is that you do not need a passport now or at any announced time in the future for the cruise that you are planning. (This does not address the issue of whether or not it is wise to have one, that is a different topic.)

People will tell you that after June 2009 everyone has to have one, and lots of other things, but the real facts are that the WHTI has an exception for cruisers so that people doing loop cruises (returning to the same port) do not require passports. All that is needed is a photo ID (for those over 16) and a certified copy of your birth certificate. (it does not need a "raised seal", it must be certified by the issuing agency.)

Archived