Alaskan "King?" Crab Legs !

cruisin42

This cruise cost us over $150 per person each day (not to mention the $10.50 per person mandatory daily gratuity charge).

Where in your city could you go for 300 a night INCLUDING accommodation, 3 meals a day +++ and entertainment for 2 people. Sounds like a bargain to me I don't know why you are trying to make it seem likes it's a lot of money! :p

All I am saying is that it was what it was. I'm sorry that the picture is so dark but it was taken in our cabin under the lamp. Maybe reducing the size of it for posting caused the darkening.

I was fuming in the dining room. Unfortunately I am one who does not verbally vent. When we left I took photos of the shell I brought back to our cabin. And no, it was not a leg tip. That was a crab leg from my dish. Maybe 15 or 18 total pieces. Some a little larger some (yes) smaller.

This was day 6 of our cruise from NY and yes, the crab legs were significantly larger in Horizon Court on the first night. Not humoungous, just larger.

Maybe they were just emptying their supply for replenishment on the next cruise. But they should not have offered these morsels on their menu.

If anyone was on the May 26th cruise on the CP from NY and was in the Palm dining room on Sunday evening, June 1 please offer your opinion.

This cruise cost us over $150 per person each day (not to mention the $10.50 per person mandatory daily gratuity charge).

I think Princess could have & should have done better.

I'm searching for a new cruise line.

Thanks for reading this, folks.

OH MY! You may want to try a line like Regent or possibly Crystal.

I can't believe you carried a shell of a crab leg back to your stateroom to photograph.:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

You should have been in the Horizon Court on our last cruise. There was a guy sitting out on the terrace, all alone, and he had 5 (yes I counted them) 5 plates heaping with crab legs in front of him that he was absolutely inhaling. We sat down to eat and I almost fell off my chair as he went back for second helping and brought back two more plates overflowing with, yep, you guessed it, crab legs. He definitely got his $150 per day on that meal.

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention it, but Regent or Crystal will probably cost you double or triple what you paid on Princess per day. But if they have huge crab legs, it will be worth it, won't it?

So sorry to hear that the size of the food disappointed you so greatly. :(

If anyone was on the May 26th cruise on the CP from NY and was in the Palm dining room on Sunday evening, June 1 please offer your opinion.

I was on the Caribbean Princess on the 5/26 sailing and was in the Palm Dining room on Sunday evening. I didn't order the crab legs as I'm not that fond of them. However, two people at our table, including the lady right next to me, did order them. I was certainly close enough to tell that they were considerably larger than the one in your image.

Where in your city could you go for 300 a night INCLUDING accommodation, 3 meals a day +++ and entertainment for 2 people. Sounds like a bargain to me I don't know why you are trying to make it seem likes it's a lot of money! :p

Right on!

I can't believe he's never sailing Princess again because of crab legs! Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope!

I can't believe that a crab shell was actually brought back to the cabin to photograph. That just strikes me as very odd..and funny.

I was on the Sun Princess last year and the king crab legs were large.

The food is also all you can eat. So, if the crab legs were so tiny, why didn't you just ask for more??? We did that on lobster and crab nights so no problem.

Attached is a photo of a sample of what was served in the Palm dining room for dinner on the Caribbean Princess on 01 June 2008. I had to use the cigarette for comparison.

The king crab leg is the little red thing on the card. This was not the largest morsel served, however it was NOT the smallest piece either.

The knuckle piece was a bit larger.

This is not "trick" photography. I wouldn't know how.

It is unfortunate that I believe we've sailed with Princess for the last time.

This is not the single reason why.

If you want more of the crab legs, just order another portion. I like how conviently they are cut and sliced in half - makes it much easier to eat them without struggling. We just ordered another portion each, and I am sure that if we wanted a third, we would have gotten them as well, just as we did with the lobster tails.

For the new cruisers out there, the menus for the ships are set for each itenarary. The ship will repeat the same menus over and over until the itenarary changes. Typically all food is loaded on the ship for that cruise at the beginning of the cruise. Occasionally some items will not be as good as usual. Your waiter can help you pick the items that are the best the night you are dining. I've had a waiter steer me from a certain item before. My guess is that the crab legs were small in this shipment but the menu is set so they are on the menu. Solution is to order more and work at them if you really like crab. Or order something else. But everyone needs to communicate with your waiter, they can't read you mind; but they will help you be happy, it's in their best interest to. my two cents.

OK was not going to reply until I read that you brought the shell back to your room to photograph. Right there, I became highly suspicious. I would have been more likely to believe you IF you had photographed your entire plate in the dining room BEFORE comsuming the crab. Sorry don't believe your story now.

The picture isn't very good!

On my recent cruise I had so many large Alaska crab legs to gorge on, that I was VERY full! The waiter's were still trying to bring me more! I really don't understand your complaint!

I have NEVER been told that I couldn't have more Crab legs, Lobster, Steak or whatever!

Ask and you will receive! ;)

Did a Google image seach of "Princess Crab Legs". I got a whole lot of pictures folks have posted. I am not casting doubt on the OP... but seems everyone else's experience differs.

And... forgot to add.... those pictures are consistent with our experience..... Love those crab legs. :D

Good point Chasetf...and thanks for the photos. Some of the legs on the photos look to be the size in the OPs photo, but there are so many legs on the plate that there should be plenty of food. Useless complaint.

Good point Chasetf...and thanks for the photos. Some of the legs on the photos look to be the size in the OPs photo, but there are so many legs on the plate that there should be plenty of food. Useless complaint.

I agree.. On our recent Alaska, I asked for some crab legs on the side. There were so many on the plate that our dinner companions had to share..

The pics show the crab legs exactly the same as we have had on each of our Princess cruises. I think the frustration for some, and possibly the OP, is that on the menu they are listed as "King Crab" and what weve always seen is probably Snow Crab. So the expectation is set for something huge. Weve always been completely satisfied with the crab legs and the lobster, once we adjusted to the idea that they were not going to be King Crab legs.

Godd Heavens - from the nature of the post that started this thread, one would assume people are expecting legs from something like the 14 pound monster below:

14-pound-king-crab-xl.jpg

Oh Baby.............Yum:D That's one heck of a meal!!!!

Just got off the Crown last week. This was our 9th cruise with Princess. We really enjoy Princess and will stick with this cruise line because we like it so much. However, I have to say we had the same experience with the crab legs, which was very surprising to us. I always look forward to the lobster night and the crab leg night. Our crab legs looked nothing like the ones we've gotten 8 cruises before. They did look like ballpoint pens...not sure what the reason was. Our table chalked it up to "cutting costs"....who knows, but I hope this trend won't continue..I missed the large, succulent crab legs we've had in the past.

Archived