Celebrity Infinity was FILTHY

boobearzoo

'The day you take away my waffles will be the day you pry them from my cold hands !!! ...'

LOL :D

They do have those same waffles on Azamara...(tho I usually felt they were underdone...like mine very crispy...perhaps they hadn't learned just how to do then right by Dec. 2 mo. into it's inaugural cruise season for Quest) My Grand-daughter taught me something...to ask for Butter & Syrup "on the side" so the waffle stays crisp. Guess it won't work with the Strawberries or cherries...but wish they'd heat the cherries at least like Shoney's used to, so the waffle stays hot!

I enjoy reading Cruise Critic, but a post like the OP posted really irks me. I generally take what "reviewers" like the OP says with an extremely large grain of salt. As Junglejane said, once onboard, enjoy and stop with the nitpicking. If we were to listen to the naysayers and negative posters, none of us would cruise. I could understand if the OP had many postings here and found the ship in deplorable condition. As many here who've sailed on Infinity recently, the OP seems to be off the wall.

I joined CC to be able to meet up with people on the same sailing as us and to get advice. I really am irked with one time posters who seem to love to post the negatives as if to try to encourage people not sail on any particular cruise line. I've sailed on Celebrity many times as mentioned in my sig line. I know that the ships sailing aren't brand spanking new, right out of the shipyard, but Celebrity maintains a high rate of maintenance.

As far as the coffee issue is concerned, if anyone has seen the Berlitz Book of Cruising's most recent edition, coffee is rated across the top 10 cruiselines. Not one got a rave review and had great coffee. So, that problem is not just limited to Celebrity.

Let's all have some fun and cruise!

Anita

I had a few complaints about my cruise on the Infinity (Panama Canal) in April:

cruise too short

crew demanded I get off the ship after 15 days

They did help me resolve the second problem. But now my addendum complaint is I have to wait too long for my next cruise!

We were on the Infinity's May 30 - June 6 cruise. We were very impressed at how beautiful the Infinity is. I remember watching with fascination as a team workers cleaned the huge windows in Constellation Lounge one day and also a two story atrium on the same deck on another day. I'll be honest, I did not actually look for hand prints in the glass elevators, but since they were always in use, seeing a hand print wouldn't have surprised me. As tn1728 noted, we did have some stormy weather which did have an impact on the windows outside the elevators (the fog on the last day at sea didn't leave us much to see by then anyway).

We did notice some rust spots here and there, but not enough to detract from the enjoyment of our cruise. We also speak up if something concerns us and have always found the staff will try to correct it. Perhaps our worst experience this cruise was that one of our bags was damaged somewhere between the airport (we used the transfer) and our room. When I got out the bag on the last day, I realized that I should say something so that they know there is something wrong in the transfer process. I spoke to guest relations and they said I should just tell my room steward so that maintenance can try to fix it. That what I did and they did manage to fix it.

Since we always had custom omelets or the round waffles, our breakfast was always hot. I should say that we would start off the day by first ordering pastries or muffins, OJ & coffee from room service. The delivery was always on time and would act as a wakeup call. The room service OJ was the real thing and not what came out of the dispensers in the buffet. Coffee is a matter of taste and we had no problem with the coffee. Then after showering and dressing, we'd head to the buffet. (Hey, its a cruise!)

On the other hand, we weren't completely impressed with the SS United States. While the service was exceptional, DW had the Sea Bass & I had the Rack of Lamb. Again, it is a matter of taste, but we've both had better elsewhere. Since it was our first time dining there, we went with the wine paring, and we didn't care for a number of the wines. Its all a matter of taste.

This was our third time with Jeff Potts as the cruise director. We really like him and I'm glad to see that tommusic also enjoyed him. I was expecting the nature talks to be dull, but Brent Nixon is a force that will keep you captivated. We have seen continued improvement in Celebrity's entertainment, and this cruise was the best we've seen (how they can dance on a rocking ship is beyond me?). This Captain has the best personally that we have ever experienced, he really is funny, and even the OP was impressed that he took us within 3/10th mile of the glacier.

Tried out the Martini flight this time and visited the Cova a few times (the Aspen is our favorite). Nice experiences and it is interesting that we never found any of the various lounges to be crowded.

We had the good fortune to have very nice table mates and also made some good friends at the wine tasting. Gregory, our waiter, Rhandy our assistant waiter, and Rudy, our Sommelier were all very good. We were pleasantly surprised to also find Nilo, our all time favorite Sommelier (from the Horizon) on board. He told us they have asked him to move to the Solstice. Our room steward, Rodel, was the best we've ever had!

Bottom line: Unlike the OP, my DW did not want to leave the ship and if we won the lottery tomorrow, we know what we would be doing with the $$ ;) .

We were on the Infinity's May 30 - June 6 cruise. We were very impressed at how beautiful the Infinity is. .

I would appreciate a few more negatives so that this would be a more balanced review. Too many positive comments irk some people.;)

Thanks for the details about the positives. Could you post the name of the friendly captain?

I would appreciate a few more negatives so that this would be a more balanced review. Too many positive comments irk some people.;)

Thanks for the details about the positives. Could you post the name of the friendly captain?

The Captain is Dimitrios Kafetzis. Sorry to disappoint, but we really had a very nice time.

I'm puzzled about the coffee issue:confused: We were on Azamara Quest, Panama Canal cruise last March. The coffee on board was very very good in all venues. One of the restaurant managers told us that the coffee on Azamara was going to go fleet-wide (including all Celebrity ships) in a few months:eek: Doesn't sound like has happened yet.

The Captain is Dimitrios Kafetzis. Sorry to disappoint, but we really had a very nice time.

We enjoyed captain Kafetzis on Infinity around S. America last year, so much so that we're returning for 28 days next March. Unfortunately Captain Kafetzis will be on Solstice by then. Thanks again for a very positive review appreciated by Celebrity lovers everywhere.

I'm puzzled about the coffee issue:confused: We were on Azamara Quest, Panama Canal cruise last March. The coffee on board was very very good in all venues. One of the restaurant managers told us that the coffee on Azamara was going to go fleet-wide (including all Celebrity ships) in a few months:eek: Doesn't sound like has happened yet.

We too found the coffee on X (Millennium) to be pretty bad. Is it on purpose, to make you buy the coffee from the coffee bar?

I wonder why cruise lines don't aim to have great coffee. Is it that hard? Seems like they could form some sort of corporate partnership with Starbucks or Seattle's Best or something...would be great press for them. Sure, it would cost a little more, so add $10 to the cruise fare. I don't know, with the emphasis X puts on food, seems like they'd address the bad coffee issue.

You don't hear many bad things about Celebrity at all...but the coffee issue does come up again and again...even among the cheerleaders! Corporate, take note!

Good morning,

No surprise that the OP hasn't posted again.

Just for the heck of it, I checked their profile-she is a professional house cleaner!

Folks should leave their work at home. Can you imagine be a tablemate with a doctor who tells you about the cholesterol content of your meal? Or a singer who is intent on critiquing the entertainment?

Bet the OP's table mates had fun:rolleyes: .

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

PS-not everyone drinks coffee. I think they should have decent coffee, but would be POd if I had to pay more for my cruise just to keep the coffee drinkers happy.

This was our first Celebirty cruise and we were really expecting to be "wowed." My sis and her husband and my husband and our twin daughters went on this cruise. We absolutely loved our corner aft FV. The balcony was incredible and our room had tons of storage for 4 people. I would definitely book this room again. We had previously sailed on RCCL three times and Princess one. My sis and husband have sailed 10+times on Princess and once on Silver Seas.

We unfortunately were never "wowed" by the Infinity or Celebrity. The food was far below RCCL and Princess. I guess our expectations were way too high. Overall I think all three lines have good and bad qualities. I won't say I'd never go on Celebrity again but would certainly look at RCCL and Princess first.

The Constellation lounge was fabulous. It's views were incredible. We had a good cruise and Alaska is incredible.

I am from Seattle where the coffee has always been strong. I love my Starbucks, and have a real problem with Folgers, and Hills Brothers. I love strong Kuna coffee, so is the Coffee served on the infinity "green Bean" coffee. This is usually resturant coffee like Boyds, or Bunn. They sell to resturants but, it is about price not flavor.

I have met alot of peole who hate Starbucks for it is so strong. What is wrong with the coffee on the ship, is it weak, bitter, or sour tasting? It is always how the coffee is roasted.

For those who like coffee...you always have cream and sugar. :p

Quote:

"What is wrong with the coffee on the ship, is it weak, bitter, or sour tasting? It is always how the coffee is roasted."

Hi, I am NOT a fan of Starbucks as I am one of those

who prefers something smoother, without a burnt aftertaste.

I know they say it is NOT burnt, but in my opinion, my pallete

says "this is burnt".

Anyway, the coffee on all the ships varies from horrible to

drinkable. It has been weak and bitter or strong and sour....

or vice-versa. For some reason, the word "Inconsisant"

is the first word I think of...they just can't seem to get it

right when it comes to a good cup of joe:eek:

The only coffee I LOVE is in Cova and that would be an Aspen....

which has 1/3 Baileys, 1/3 Kaluah, 1/3 Frangelica with Coffee.:D

I just had family members on the May 23d sailing of the Infinity and they too had several let downs after reading :::glowing:::: reviews of the ship.

They had a good time overall and RAVED about Brent and his nature talks....

They were in a CC class stateroom and although they really liked the size of the stateroom as well as the larger balcony (#6144), they found the room in a bit of a muss when they arrived i.e. hand prints on glass on Verandah door and bathroom mirror, rust/mildew marks on tile.....They also commented that the coffeee was terrible and they too had less than favorable dining room service at their late seating.

Hi Curtis-

Tell your relatives we had 6144 the week before them. Unfortunately, the handprints were on the verandah door when we arrived! We did enjoy the room so much, I was going to hide in the bathroom (yes, there was some rust and mildew - so glad the had the bathmat on the floor) and try to stay another week!

I forgot to post earlier, but anyone using 6144 in the future - I left a short length of string behind the safe in case you want to temporarily tie open the panel on the verandah where the crew access is. We did that while viewing the glacier and just had more deck room to look around.

A beautiful ship, yes, but I did see a few things that were not being attended to a quickly as they should, such as dishes and glasses left on the outer decks. However, I realize that many of the crew were new to the ship (many I talked to joined the ship since the Alaska cruise season started, including our stateroom attendant).

We are thinking about booking an August Alaska cruise on the Infinity but are having second thoughts after reading your review. We have been on the Millie several years ago and it was fantastic. Is there anybody else out there who feels the Infinity has slipped?

Thanks for any response.

I was not on this cruise but I have a story about a Celebrity Cruise I would like to relate to you.

Last November my DH and I sailed on the Celebrity Constellation on an 11 night, southern Caribbean cruise. It was fabulous! We loved everything about it, we have sailed Celebrity a number of times and during this cruise we had discussed how great we thought everything was, in fact we had both said it was our best cruise ever. On disembarkation morning, while sitting in a lounge we had a couple behind us that did nothing but complain about the entire cruise. They complained about the food, the service, the ship EVERYTHING! They said their stateroom was filthy and had mold everywhere. Well, we looked around at the other passengers around us and they all had this same confused look on their faces. I asked the complainers if they had reported all of these "problems" and they stated that they had and "we told Celebrity we wanted another cruise!" "we wanted our money back!" So, me being a bid mouth I said "well I am sorry you seemed to have had such a bad time, because our cruise was perfect!. Well they told me I must not know anything about cruising, and that is when everyone around us started speaking up that none of them had ANY problems at all. Well the complainers got mad and grabbed their things and left.

So - I would not let a few people that complain turn you off to a cruise. Go by what the majority tell you OR if the cruise is what you want and make your own decision! I have NEVER had a client or a friend or a family member tell me that they were on a Celebrity ship that was dirty! Some of their ships are due for rehab in dry dock and may show signs of some wear. But I would be very surprised if a Celebrity ship were filthy.

It's always interesting reading the various critiques on Celebrity and other lines - my personal opinion is, most of us who cruise some get use to/favor a specific line and even find ourselves nitpicking other lines.

We've been on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal C, Cruise West and Princess. We now use Celebrity unless there is a specific cruise or friends we want to join. Princess was very nice but there were just 'speical' things we got use to on Celebrity that we missed, such as the special spa pool on M-Class, the Cova Cafe, and the CC rooms. It's just what we enjoy.

The only general complaint is, I wish Celebrity had a few more gooddeals for Captians Clubs, such as free internet points and a few other things such as that. So when you see my posts and other posts comparing cruise lines and such, rememeber it's not only very 'personal opinion', it has a lot to do with what we get use to!

One thing I do NOT stand for is listening to complainers, especially while on the cruise. I think they think it makes them look more sophisticated and worldly, when all it does for me is identify old geasers who love to complain and listen to their own voices.

I was sitting in a hottub and mentioned how much I was enjoying the cruise - the guy next to me started listing out the problems - I immedately excused myself and left. On another cruise, we had dinner table mates who started this, and my wife and I moved to another table after talking to the maitre'd.

Don't let them get to you!

Denny

We were on the May 9-16 Alaska cruise on the Infinity. My observations are as follows:

1.Overall cleanliness of the ship was excellent. We witnessed cleaning crews at all hours of the day and night maintaining common areas (elevators, hallways, windows, etc.) Our CC stateroom was very clean with the only noted exception being a small amount of mold in one corner of the shower. I mentioned it to the stateroom attendant and it was gone when we came back to the room.

2. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my partner found the coffee to be lacking.

3. Food was great. We had early seating for dinner and found the service to be excellent. I appreciated the variety of offerings. The Pizza station was great for a late night snack. The buffet X did on the sea day was very nicely executed.

4. Entertainment was very good, especially considering that there were very rough seas on three nights.

5. Our room steward was very good, as was his assistant. They were always friendly and helpful. Our stateroom was well maintained throughout the cruise.

6. Eli, one of the waiters in the Martini Bar, was EXCELLENT.

A few items I noticed that could be easily corrected:

1. The outside deck entrance doors to the Constellation lounge have tinted windows. The material used to tint the windows is very worm by the door handles and makes the entrance doors very unsightly.

2. Towels in our room seemed, at times, to have seen better days and should be "retired".

3. For those who have been on the ship you are familiar with the photo area. I had to laugh at the photo processing area, where they have miniblinds to keep the processing equipment from view. The blinds are totally ruined and appear very unsightly from the guest area. Once again, a small item that would be easily corrected.

4. X makes all guests feel very welcome during the embarkation process. It would be a nice touch if there was the same feeling during the disembarkation process. I was surprised that there were no X staffer's (other than those putting the keys into the reader) thanking guests as they leave.

Finally, we had one issue that came up with a room service order early the morning of disembarkation. We had placed the card on our door and the order arrived at the exact time we had designated. After the person who delivered it had left, we noticed that one of the items was wrong and we called room service to report the error. Within five minutes someone was at our door with the correct item. All was good, until the person delivering the correct item told us that we had "obviously made a mistake" in what we "checked" on the breakfast order form. He went on to say that "we don't make mistakes".

Needless to say, I was very upset at his attitude and his being intent on placing blame. The upside of this incident is that I reported it the next day via email to X management and within 48 hours received a call from guest relations. They apologized and wanted to ask more questions about the incident so that they could add additional details to the report that was being written on this incident. I asked about this and was told that a thorough incident report was being written and submitted to both the upper management of X and to the ship's management team. I was impressed with the speed of the response after informing them of this incident.

Bottom line: We had a great time. Infinity was great, and with the exception of the one incident noted above and the few minor housekeeping issues, I would say it came about as close to a perfect experience as possible.

I would like to make an gentle observation if I may.

What we deal with in reviews are perceptions or observations/opinions. I, for one, am glad that not all opinions are the same . . . . as it would be a truly boring world if that were the case. Here is a case in point.

The OP wrote:

The carpeting was torn or very warn.

SactoGalCruiser wrote:

The only place I saw worn carpeting was in the hallway area between the cinema and the meeting rooms.

aaklang wrote:

While I do recall thinking she was a bit worn (carpet and couches in my room),

I know that the Infinity is over 7 years old, has sailed probably 3/4 of a million passengers, so the OP's opinion about the carpeting probably has some validity.

I am always a bit hesitant to give credence to a totally negative review by a 1st time poster, however, but I ask myself why should their review be any less valid than someone who has posted 3,000 times. It isn't.

When someone attacks us, or in the case of reviews, a product that most of us on this (Celebrity) forum love, we tend to become (over)defensive. I do the same thing. However after adding a grain (or a ton) of salt, I try to read through the BS to see what, if anything, is the real problem. In this particular review that was extremely difficult. But I did come away with the thought that the ship, because of her age and some of the conditions noted, is probably in need of a general maintenance yard period.

As for condition of the ship - when we sailed recently, I was expecting a ship falling apart from some of the comments. We found her in fine shape. If your expectations are too high - you will need to select (and pay for) one of the luxury lines.

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line and we are booked on the Connie for January. However, please do not start with the low expectations pitch. Celebrity bills themselves (and prices themselves) as a Premium cruise line so we should have very high expectations. The food is expected to be better than RCL, NCL, etc. and the ship should not be dirty or look worn. I am not going on any vacation with low expectations and particularly on Celebrity.

As a retired Navy Master Chief I am an expert in bad coffee :eek: and I have to add this comment.

The best coffee I have had at sea is the Navy coffee in some Chief's messes, and believe me when I say that doesn't say a lot for the coffee prepared on the cruise ships. :D But I only refer to that swill ;) served in general, not the stuff you have to pay for.

Archived