CONFIRMED Infant Pool on Enchantment allows swim diapers

I'm guessing you don't have small children, or you have forgotten the germs that are spread by them. My children would have to live in a bubble if I wanted to keep them from everything. I am an overly neurotic parent using wet wipes like crazy to keep them as germ-free as possible. THey don't ride in shopping carts without blankets covering the handles etc. I DO NOT allow them to go to school if they are sick or possibly contagious, but I am definitely in the minority with that thought process as most parents are more concerned about themselves than getting other families' sick.

But nowadays, all the outdoor parks are starting to have water features, the kind just like on the ship that has water spurting out. All public pools allow swim diapers. Parks carry all sorts of germs. Door knobs, ... the list can go on and on. Adults don't even wash their hands after using the restroom. If I tried to shelter my children, they would literally have to live in a bubble.

Are you suggesting my children not even be exposed to swimming until they are older? Do you really think you have never come into contact with nasty germs such as fecal contact when you are in public?

Wrong. I have a 10 year old that's been cruising since 4, and has been on 9 cruises.

And although the outdoor parks have fresh water that is chlorinated, there's fecal matter, and CONTAMINATED fecal matter, carrying a virus, or WORSE. That didn't keep over 400 people from getting sick at a local water park here not too long ago.

Most pools on board BTW are salt water, and are NOT chlorinated.

And no, I didn't keep my child from swimming. I put a pool up in the backyard.

Cryptosporidium. Learn the word, live the word.

PH and free chlorine are two different things.

And chlorine and bromine pools are two different animals. Sounds like the person you spoke to didn't know what they are talking about.

No, I think I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to recite it from memory. I wish I had saved the e-mail, it was rather technical. Sorry for so poorly relaying the information. In a nutshell, it stated that it was not just pure ocean water, but chemically treated.

Just wanted to add my two cents... :)

Urine is sterile in healthy individuals and usually poses little to no health risk. Fecal matter poses a greater health risk when it originates from sick individuals (bacterial/viral infections, diarrhea, etc.). Regardless if a child (or adult) is potty trained/continent, NO ONE should swim when they are ill.

Also, there are trillions of fecal bacteria in pools and hot tubs (where the bacteria THRIVE) from people who think they are "clean." Microorganisms remain on our bottoms, even with proper cleaning. (This is why it's CRITICAL to stay OUT of the water if you are sick or have been recently sick with a gastro-intestinal bug.)

For those of you who find it repulsive that a child in swim diapers is allowed to swim in a splash zone due to fecal contamination, please consider that anyone can catch these same types of germs from coming into contact with just about anything that another sick person has touched. Eating at a buffet or sit down restaurant can be considered "dangerous" if someone has been ill within a week or two of having an illness such as Norovirus, even if they are symptom free.

My point is this - following the rules will significantly reduce the chances of becoming ill. Don't swim if you've been or are ill with a GI bug, don't allow incontinent persons in pools unless specifically allowed (i.e. swim diapers), and change swim diapers OFTEN and away from the pool/splash area. If you aren't comfortable swimming in public areas, then don't. If you are, then go for it. Either way, there's no reason to flame others for their decision. :p

And although the outdoor parks have fresh water that is chlorinated, there's fecal matter, and CONTAMINATED fecal matter, carrying a virus, or WORSE. That didn't keep over 400 people from getting sick at a local water park here not too long ago.

Would you be speaking of the splash area in Geneva? I have family in that area...

Just wanted to add my two cents... :)

Urine is sterile in healthy individuals and usually poses little to no health risk. Fecal matter poses a greater health risk when it originates from sick individuals (bacterial/viral infections, diarrhea, etc.). Regardless if a child (or adult) is potty trained/continent, NO ONE should swim when they are ill.

Also, there are trillions of fecal bacteria in pools and hot tubs (where the bacteria THRIVE) from people who think they are "clean." Microorganisms remain on our bottoms, even with proper cleaning. (This is why it's CRITICAL to stay OUT of the water if you are sick or have been recently sick with a gastro-intestinal bug.)

For those of you who find it repulsive that a child in swim diapers is allowed to swim in a splash zone due to fecal contamination, please consider that anyone can catch these same types of germs from coming into contact with just about anything that another sick person has touched. Eating at a buffet or sit down restaurant can be considered "dangerous" if someone has been ill within a week or two of having an illness such as Norovirus, even if they are symptom free.

My point is this - following the rules will significantly reduce the chances of becoming ill. Don't swim if you've been or are ill with a GI bug, don't allow incontinent persons in pools unless specifically allowed (i.e. swim diapers), and change swim diapers OFTEN and away from the pool/splash area. If you aren't comfortable swimming in public areas, then don't. If you are, then go for it. Either way, there's no reason to flame others for their decision. :p

Would you be speaking of the splash area in Geneva? I have family in that area...

While this is true, it's also true that healthy individuals carry e-coli in their intestines and fecal material. If it stays in the intestines, no problem. But if another healthy individual swallows pool water contaminated with e-coli from a healthy person, the pool water swallower can become very ill. The bacteria can becomea problem if we ingest it orally. Certain strains are more harmful than others. That's why none of us want to swim in a pool contaminated with fecal matter. It's not just ill people who can put others at risk.

While this is true, it's also true that healthy individuals carry e-coli in their intestines and fecal material. If it stays in the intestines, no problem. But if another healthy individual swallows pool water contaminated with e-coli from a healthy person, the pool water swallower can become very ill. The bacteria becomes dangerous if we ingest it orally. That's why none of us want to swim in a pool contaminated with fecal matter. It's not just ill people who can put others at risk.

Actually everyone has E coli in their GI tract. It's the DANGEROUS strains of E coli that cause the food illness outbreaks (think spinach from 2-3 yrs ago). You have to ingest that certain dangerous strain in a large enough quantity to compromise your immune system for you to become seriously ill.

Actually everyone has E coli in their GI tract. It's the DANGEROUS strains of E coli that cause the food illness outbreaks (think spinach from 2-3 yrs ago).

Thanks. There goes my Taco Bell trip tonight.

DW, DD(3yrs) and I were on Enchantment 5/2/09. DD is potty trained but was "talking" to a younger child in swim diapers when the Pool police sternly instructed the parents that the child could not be in the splash zone with a swim diaper and proceeded to explicitly point out the large sign to that effect

Actually everyone has E coli in their GI tract. It's the DANGEROUS strains of E coli that cause the food illness outbreaks (think spinach from 2-3 yrs ago). You have to ingest that certain dangerous strain in a large enough quantity to compromise your immune system for you to become seriously ill.

That's right, food outbreaks with these extra virulent strains can cause fatal infections. The ones you refer to came from came from fecal material from cattle or pigs, I don't remember. E-coli does hang out in our GI tracts, but you still DON'T want to swallow it. That's why the CDC instructs even healthy individuals to wash our hands after using the bathroom and changing diapers, and why you don't want to swim in a pool with fecal matter! It doesn't harm us if it stays in our intestines, but if it makes its way into our mouths it CAN make us sick.

ref.: http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/e.coli.html

It also can cause a bad UTI if you wipe this same "harmless"(meaning beneficial when in the intestines) e-coli from your intestines onto your urethra, which is why we always tell girls to wipe front to back.

Swallowing fecal matter in a pool probably won't kill you, but I'd prefer not to test that theory.

My son was hospitalized for 5 days with IV tubes coming out of his head because he was so sick and had no other veins anywhere else to hold an IV. Guess where he got sick from? A kiddie pool in the town we lived in. That kiddie pool was also cleaned and drained everyday but once someone pees or poops and the liquid mixes with the water and it comes into contact with another child its too late. When I think about it now I think how stupid I was to not see how dangerous and disgusting it was to let my son swim in a virtual toilet.

ITs not Pee that causes the problem. Urine is sterile. Its poop that is the problem. We had a horrible out break of Crypto Virus in our City summer of 2007. Public pools being shut down left and right. It is serious and it is VERY easy to contract. All it takes is getting a little water in your mouth. We have had major warnings on the news the last week that you are not even allowed to change a diaper near the swimming pools let alone, wear one in them.

Utah (July to September 2007 - 1949 Crypto cases)

While this is true, it's also true that healthy individuals carry e-coli in their intestines and fecal material. If it stays in the intestines, no problem. But if another healthy individual swallows pool water contaminated with e-coli from a healthy person, the pool water swallower can become very ill. The bacteria can becomea problem if we ingest it orally. Certain strains are more harmful than others. That's why none of us want to swim in a pool contaminated with fecal matter. It's not just ill people who can put others at risk.

This isn't quite true. E. coli is a naturally occuring bacterium that lives in our digestive tracts and, in healthy individuals, is rarely the cause of illness. However, there are strains of E. coli that do cause illness and possibly death if they are introduced into the digestive tract. Remember E.

coli O157:H7? It produces toxins in the human gut that are capable

of deadly damage and was responsible for the Jack in the Box (I think that was the restaurant?!) undercooked hamburger food poisonings several years ago.

I will admit that although E. coli is a necessary bacteria for us, I do not want to swim in a pool of it! EW!!!

ITs not Pee that causes the problem. Urine is sterile. Its poop that is the problem. We had a horrible out break of Crypto Virus in our City summer of 2007. Public pools being shut down left and right. It is serious and it is VERY easy to contract. All it takes is getting a little water in your mouth. We have had major warnings on the news the last week that you are not even allowed to change a diaper near the swimming pools let alone, wear one in them.

Utah (July to September 2007 - 1949 Crypto cases)

Thankfully, this is not due to "regular" E. coli that is found in everyone's digestive tract. Several years ago I found a statistic on the amount of fecal matter in ALL pools - it was amazing how much ALL of us contaminate pools just by swimming in them - no matter how "clean" we think we are. I need to find that stat and report back here. ;)

This does go to show that sick people can and DO pose a risk to huge populations.

I don't know know where people get the idea that ships don't use chlorine in the pools. I e-mailed RCI about their pools, and I received a response that all pools use sea water and are kept to a specific pH ( I forget what it is) by using chlorine/bromine.

BUT, you are still talking a very small pool, so even a little contamination is too much if we are talking fecal matter.

All the Pools use sea water? I was told it was freshwater on the Freedom. Now I'm confused. Are any of RCI's pool's freshwater and not saltwater?

All the Pools use sea water? I was told it was freshwater on the Freedom. Now I'm confused. Are any of RCI's pool's freshwater and not saltwater?

The Freedom Class has freshwater pools. I believe Oasis will have freshwater pools as well. :)

This "splash zone" is not a pool and doesn't have one. It is an area with different water events....splashing' date=' raining, running through sprinklers, etc. There is no pool to be contaminated. There are places where they can fill a small bucket and pour it out, float little toys like ships and fish in tray/trough arrangements. There is no contamination possibilities involved. Simply a place where you can get wet....[/quote']

Is the water being recirculated? Or is it from a continual fresh supply? That would make a difference to me.

After reading this thread, I find it very interesting that not one person brought up the fact that they sell diapers just for swimming. They hold it all in, without sucking all the pool water into the diaper, made just for little swimmers. I babysit, and we use them all the time in my pool. I am sure alot of parents are using these, and unless you are nosey enough to ask, you wouldn't know. They look just like regular diapers. Don't assume all these parents are being that narrow-minded.....

http://www.littleswimmers.com/na/ link to product...

After reading this thread, I find it very interesting that not one person brought up the fact that they sell diapers just for swimming. They hold it all in,

False sense of security. They DON'T hold it all in.

Swimmies are not allowed in the ships pools either.

After reading this thread, I find it very interesting that not one person brought up the fact that they sell diapers just for swimming. They hold it all in, without sucking all the pool water into the diaper, made just for little swimmers. I babysit, and we use them all the time in my pool. I am sure alot of parents are using these, and unless you are nosey enough to ask, you wouldn't know. They look just like regular diapers. Don't assume all these parents are being that narrow-minded.....

http://www.littleswimmers.com/na/ link to product...

These swim diapers are NOT allowed in the pools either!

The issue of swim diapers (for infants and adults) is always controversial. But here is a quote right from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that says it all!

The use of swim diapers and swim pants may give many parents and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

"Little scientific information exists on how well they are able to keep feces or infection-causing germs from leaking into the pool. Even though diapers or swim pants may hold in some feces, they are not leak proof and can still contaminate the pool water. It is unlikely that swim diapers are able to keep diarrheal stools, the high risk event, from leaking into the pool and no manufacturers claim these products prevent leakage of diarrhea into pools."

Cruise lines have to be very careful because of routine health inspections....not to mention to potential liablity that can occur if a child contracts a serious waterborne bacteria/related infection.

Hank

Archived