I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello Danish viking, We would like to take the train from Copenhagen to Paris. Is it possible to do it in one day's time. We have a hard time trying to search for the train schedule....Thanks in advance! Lynn

Hi, Lynn! Yes, it's possible by train from Copenhagen to Paris, but it's a long, long ride with several train changes. Sorry! As an example, you would depart at 7:44AM from Copenhagen, arrive 12:16PM at Hamburg Hbf, depart at 12:46PM, arrive at 2:35PM in Osnabrueck, Germany, then depart at 3:53PM and arrive at 7:08PM at Amsterdam Schiphol. There are a couple of during the day options from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, plus an overnight option: depart 6:53PM and arrive in Amsterdam at 10:29AM Then you would get the last evening train departing at 7:16PM from Amsterdam and arriving at 10:35PM at Paris Nord station.

Have you considering flying?

RAIL SCHEDULES: You can go to this website

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/triprequest.htm

or

http://www.raileurope.com

and check all of the various train options, timings and costs on rail travel within Europe through the "schedules" option on their web page. For some routings, such as Avignon to Barcelona or Nice to Rome, it will not yield results. You will be need to break it out into separate routings such as Nice to Genoa, then Genoa to Rome. Great, very useful site for timings and options! Not always the best pricings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,375 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Actually, you can do it in 3 trains.

Copenhagen - Hamburg (4 1/2 hrs)

8 mins to change train

Hamburg - Karlsruhe (3 1/2 hrs)

26 mins to change

Karlsruhe - Paris Est (3 hrs)

Total time is around 13 hrs, (so it isn't easy) but it is all on German ICE and French TGV trains, so its all high speed routes.

By far the best site to get European trains from is the Deutches Bundesbahn site at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http . This covers the whole of Europe.

Simon

Thanks for everyone's help, We have no idea that it's so complicated & time consuming. Looks like we're looking at multi-destination flights for now, we need to do more research.

We're planning to take a cruise that's disembark at Copenhagen and would like to visit Paris for a few days either before or after the cruise. If anyone has any suggestion for the best way to make this trip most efficient & economical, we would love to hear your ideas.

Lynn

Thanks for everyone's help, We have no idea that it's so complicated & time consuming. Looks like we're looking at multi-destination flights for now, we need to do more research. We're planning to take a cruise that's disembark at Copenhagen and would like to visit Paris for a few days either before or after the cruise. If anyone has any suggestion for the best way to make this trip most efficient & economical, we would love to hear your ideas. Lynn

THANKS, Lynn, for the added info! Don't know where you are flying from or if you have already purchased your air tickets. You might check on getting your air tickets as "open jaw" that would allow flying into Paris, spending time there, then flying into Copenhagen and then have your ticket/flight back. That can many times work out to be cheaper than buying that Paris-Copenhagen ticket separately. I just did a quick check for a one-way flight, as an example, on May 18 and there were non-stop SAS flights, such as departing at 11 am, that takes only an hour and 50 minutes, costing $106 per person. Lots of good options to consider. There are some even cheaper flight options, but they might involve airports that are less convenient and that involve many added, hidden fees. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Hello Terry,

I forgot to mention that we're departing from Toronto at the end of June. Our son doesn't finished school until then. We have search for the multi-destinations air ticket from Toronto to Paris then to Copenhagen & back to Toronto. It cost at least $1500 each. If it cost too much to go to Paris on the side. We might defer the trip until another time. It seems a lot of time wasted trying to go back & forth for a few days. We mights well spend some times in Copenhagen & enjoy ourself. Thanks for the link that you have posted, we'll take a look for more info.

Lynn

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

I am going to take you up on your kind offer for advice.

We will be arriving one day before we cruise, and will be in Copenhagen a full day after we arrive back from our cruise in the month of May. I am not sure how we will feel due to the time difference between USA and Copenhagen, so I am really not planning anything the day we arrive. I have heard the taxis are very expensive, and with luggage, we will not want to be hoping on and off shuttles, etc. My question is: how far is it from the airport to the Radisson and how far is it from the Radisson to Freeport Terminal? I am trying to carefully plot and maximize our time in Copenhagen as much as possible. We stay at the Crowne Plaza the day after our return. Is there an interactive map online where we can carefully plan to see as much as possible. Organization is "

key" to seeing as much as possible without totally exhausting ourselves. What do you suggest and thank you so much in advance for your time?

Try the Hotel Bethel, it gets good review on TripAdvisor: http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/ it is in the best area Nyhavn right on the canal and is reasonable but you may have left it too late. You should take a canal ride and a ho ho bus.

Som

I contacted the Hotel Bethel by email to make my reservations. They are very friendly and helpful. Thank you for your suggestion, because this looks like the perfect property. It is in a great location for walking everywhere and it is not a corporate chain, so we can get some Danish hospitality.

@ sandsksl

As i have taken over the thread i will try to answer your question.

Here is a map of Copenhagen, i don´t know if this is interactive enough.

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map

If you are staying at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel you are located next to the central station and if that is the case i will link to another post that answers this question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1320547&highlight=

You can also walk from nearby Nordhavn station to the freeport terminal, just look at the map.

Just take a northbound S-train heading for Holte, Hillerød, Klampenborg and/or Farum.

But if it is the Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel i will have to give you another answer.

Hello Terry, I forgot to mention that we're departing from Toronto at the end of June. Our son doesn't finished school until then. We have search for the multi-destinations air ticket from Toronto to Paris then to Copenhagen & back to Toronto. It cost at least $1500 each. If it cost too much to go to Paris on the side. We might defer the trip until another time. It seems a lot of time wasted trying to go back & forth for a few days. We mights well spend some times in Copenhagen & enjoy ourself. Thanks for the link that you have posted, we'll take a look for more info. Lynn

THANKS, Lynn, for the added background info! Yes, it would be great to do Paris as a part of your Baltics trip, but sometimes the logistics won't work out. There's lots to see and love in Copenhagen. It's a charming and wonderful city. Be sure to see Tivoli with its magical lighting in the evening while in Copenhagen. Below is one of my visual samples from late June 2010 before we departed for our Norway Coast cruise. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,745 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

@ sandsksl

As i have taken over the thread i will try to answer your question.

Here is a map of Copenhagen, i don´t know if this is interactive enough.

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map

If you are staying at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel you are located next to the central station and if that is the case i will link to another post that answers this question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1320547&highlight=

You can also walk from nearby Nordhavn station to the freeport terminal, just look at the map.

Just take a northbound S-train heading for Holte, Hillerød, Klampenborg and/or Farum.

But if it is the Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel i will have to give you another answer.

Thank you so much for sharing the links. Do you know how far the Radisson Blu is from the airport and then how far the Radisson Blu is to Freeport Terminal? When I look at the map, it seems to me that there is a lot of distance between our destinations. I have enough time to change hotels, so we are not driving all over the place. We probably will take taxis due to luggage. Thanks for your help in advance:) Sandra

Thank you so much for sharing the links. Do you know how far the Radisson Blu is from the airport and then how far the Radisson Blu is to Freeport Terminal? When I look at the map, it seems to me that there is a lot of distance between our destinations. I have enough time to change hotels, so we are not driving all over the place. We probably will take taxis due to luggage. Thanks for your help in advance:) Sandra

OH OH, it is the Radisson Blu Falcon hotel on Falkoner Alle 9 in Frederiksberg.....I am assuming Frederiksberg is part of Copenhagen?? Thanks, Sandra

OH OH, it is the Radisson Blu Falcon hotel on Falkoner Alle 9 in Frederiksberg.....I am assuming Frederiksberg is part of Copenhagen?? Thanks, Sandra

The location for this hotel is nearly two miles west of the main, central City Hall/Tivoli area. Personally, I would want to be a little closer to key attractions, making walking around easier and quicker. Frederiksberg is a part of Copenhagen, but not as handy as some might desire, seek or wish. We stayed in The Square Hotel that overlooked the main City Hall Plaza and was just a block from Tivoli and other key attractions. Loved that location. Always a trade-off consideration on cost versus time. Your choice! You can easily use the mapping feature on Google.com to see and compare the various locations, etc.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,745 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We are on a cruise calling at Copenhagen for a day, any advice for sight seeing without the little mermaid please, we have been before,thanks.

What do you most like to see and do? Tell us more! How much are you interested in history? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Have you been to Tivoli, done the canal boat tours? Love Copenhagen! It's a wonderful and charming city.

I contacted the Hotel Bethel by email to make my reservations. They are very friendly and helpful. Thank you for your suggestion, because this looks like the perfect property. It is in a great location for walking everywhere and it is not a corporate chain, so we can get some Danish hospitality.

When do you arrive?

Sominex

The location for this hotel is nearly two miles west of the main, central City Hall/Tivoli area. Personally, I would want to be a little closer to key attractions, making walking around easier and quicker. Frederiksberg is a part of Copenhagen, but not as handy as some might desire, seek or wish. We stayed in The Square Hotel that overlooked the main City Hall Plaza and was just a block from Tivoli and other key attractions. Loved that location. Always a trade-off consideration on cost versus time. Your choice! You can easily use the mapping feature on Google.com to see and compare the various locations, etc.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thank you so much. Isn't there a castle in Frederiksberg ??

Thank you so much. Isn't there a castle in Frederiksberg ??

There is Frederiksborg Castle. It is located in the middle of Hillerød on three islands in the castle lake. It is about 20 miles north of central Copenhagen. We have not visited it, but it looks great from the pictures for this palace and its spectacular setting. The oldest parts of the castle were built in 1560 by King Frederik II and the castle is named after him. The majority of the present castle was built between 1600-1620 by Frederik II's son, Christian IV in Dutch Renaissance style with sweeping gables, sandstone decorations and copper-covered roofs and spires. The castle burnt in 1859 but was rebuilt from 1860-84 with financial support from brewer J. C. Jacobsen and later by the Carlsberg Foundation. It is now known as The Museum of National History and is the largest Renaissance palace in Scandinavia. The museum houses the country's most important collection of portraits and history paintings.

The part of the castle with the two low round towers on the southernmost island beside the S-bridge that connects the first and middle islets were part of Frederik II's original Frederiksborg as were the small Bath House between The Enclosure and the small Deer Park. The Danish Kings lived in Frederiksborg Castle for about a century and the absolute monarchs were crowned in the palace chapel from 1671. Since 1693, Christian IV's palace chapel has also served as the knight's chapel for the Order of the Elephant and the Knights of the Dannebrog and is also used as a parish church at the moment. The church also houses the old organ from 1610 built by Esajas Compenius. Frederiksborg Palace chapel served as the beautiful backdrop for the wedding of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in November 1995.

The Danish monarchy is a unique institution with the longest history of unbroken rule in the world. It has been a royal line of fifty kings and two queens. There are three main royal palaces to see in Copenhagen. These are pictured below. Lots to see and love in Copenhagen, plus nearby.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Here's the statute in front of the historic Christiansborg Palace that houses the parliament, prime minister, top courts, etc.:

1A-CPH-GovtBldgStatue.jpg

OH MY:))) Thanks for the information, I love it.. I need to take time and just write down everything I would love to see and work on the time factor. I believe the Little Mermaid is back from China? I do know at this point we want to go by the Rosenborg Castle, take a canal ride, Tivoli Gardens, shop for Amber, check out the Amalienborg Palace at noon, Gammel Strand, Christianborg palace, The old stock Exchange and Hotel 27 ice bar. I know I left something out. Since we are staying in Frederiksberg the day before the cruise, I hope we won't be too "jet lagged" to check out Frederiksberg Castle. My hubby and I need to be very organized to see as much as we can. Thank you so much again for your help and expertise)) Sandra

OH MY:))) Thanks for the information, I love it.. I need to take time and just write down everything I would love to see and work on the time factor. I believe the Little Mermaid is back from China? I do know at this point we want to go by the Rosenborg Castle, take a canal ride, Tivoli Gardens, shop for Amber, check out the Amalienborg Palace at noon, Gammel Strand, Christianborg palace, The old stock Exchange and Hotel 27 ice bar. I know I left something out. Since we are staying in Frederiksberg the day before the cruise, I hope we won't be too "jet lagged" to check out Frederiksberg Castle. My hubby and I need to be very organized to see as much as we can. Thank you so much again for your help and expertise)) Sandra

Keep researching and planning. Here's a key CAUTION! Good news is that Copenhagen has so much, so great and wonderful. Bad news is that you can't see it ALL in just a day or two.

You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get there or on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps.

Then there is the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the Baltics, etc? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice. I just wanted to be honest and make sure you understand your options and timing trade-offs.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Quote:
THANKS, Lynn, for the added background info! Yes, it would be great to do Paris as a part of your Baltics trip, but sometimes the logistics won't work out. There's lots to see and love in Copenhagen. It's a charming and wonderful city. Be sure to see Tivoli with its magical lighting in the evening while in Copenhagen. Below is one of my visual samples from late June 2010 before we departed for our Norway Coast cruise. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

[url]http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923

[/url]

Hi Terry in OHIO,

I have looked at your link from your cruise briefly. You have took us with you on a very nice journey. I personally very much enjoyed photography. It was nice to see so many nice photos that you have taken. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I have time to do more research, thank you for your time & info., take care!

Lynn

Hi Terry in OHIO, I have looked at your link from your cruise briefly. You have took us with you on a very nice journey. I personally very much enjoyed photography. It was nice to see so many nice photos that you have taken. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I have time to do more research, thank you for your time & info., take care! Lynn

THANKS, Lynn, for the kind comments! Keep researching. Let me know any and all questions. Will try to be helpful. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived