I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I have noticed your questions and i will answer you sometimes tomorrow or Sunday because I am going to see our national soccer team beat the hell out of the Aussies.

@ Jemily45 can you give me your date of departure because on some days the transportation options are limited.

I have read the threads and I'm so confused because there are so many options.

I am looking for a 4 star hotel near Tivoli so we can just walk to it at night. I don't like very old hotels with dark lobbies and tiny rooms. We are a family of 4 and I would prefer 1 room but the girls are old enough to have their own room if necessary.

It would be for just one night - May 24, 2013 since we'll be boarding The Vision of the Seas the next day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Docking at Freeport on Saturday July 7, 2012. Ship stays overnight so we have all day/evening to explore Copenhagen. I purchased a CPH card.

We want to see/do: Nyhavn and take a canal tour.

Rosenborg castle.

Stroget.

Just walk around. Rick Steve's walking tour.

Tivoli (at night)

I was thinking of doing the canal tour first to get some background but am open to options.

Can you suggest a sequence of sites and/or other things we should try to do?

Given the sequence of events, can you help me with the transportation getting from site to site? We are open to walking if that's the best option for some of it.

From Tivoli, how do we get back to the Freeport terminal.

Where can I find bus and other transportation schedules.

I did read through most of this thread and the more I read the more confused I got although I did pick up some valuable information.

Thank you.

we arrive on a friday am into copenhagen. We transport from the marriott to the cruise port on a saturday in august. thank you

I have noticed your questions and i will answer you sometimes tomorrow or Sunday because I am going to see our national soccer team beat the hell out of the Aussies.

@ Jemily45 can you give me your date of departure because on some days the transportation options are limited.

Hi,

Please tell me how to use public transportation from the airport to the marriott hotel. Also,

please tell me how to use public transportation from the marriott hotel to the freeport terminal. thank you so much!

Hi jemily. We fly into Copenhagen August 10th at 1:30 and are staying at the Marriott. I don't suppose you're talking about August 10th, but if so, and you don't mind waiting until we get there at 1:30, would you like to share a cab?! I am debating whether to try to take the train from the airport (easy, from what I've learned already from the Danish Viking) to the main train station, which isn't too far from the Marriott. However, I'm guessing that my husband and I won't want to walk with luggage, nor will we want to wait for a bus that goes close to, but not right to, the Marriott. SO, if by chance you'll be arriving around 1:30 on August 10th, maybe we can share a cab! As for the trip to the port the next day, I believe our cruise line is picking that up (and we go out of Lang.), so I haven't worried about that. There is a bus that goes to the port, but I don't believe it runs on the weekend. Danish Viking will probably fill you in on that, or you can look back at this thread. I forget the details. If you don't mind taking buses, I believe the 66, 2A and one other bus goes near the Marriott. There's also a canal/harbor boat that picks up at the Marriott.

Danish Viking, can I assume that it would be tacky to ask a cab driver at the train station to take us to the Marriott? I believe it's only 4 blocks or so....If we didn't have a lot of bags, we'd certainly walk, but I'm not so sure our jet-lagged bodies would be up for that! I may look at the bus and S-tog schedules to see if there's a way to take the train from the airport to a location where we can catch the 66 bus if I decide that a cabdriver wouldn't want to take us on such a short trip from the station to the hotel! That's a project for tomorrow, though!

Hi,

We're going to be in Copenhagen on July 5th - 8th on the Azamara Journey cruise. Can you tell me what we can expect weatherwise? Is it rainy and cool during this time of the year? Thank you!

We'd also like to do our first night in Tivoli Gardens. Can you recommend a moderately priced restaurant? Again thanks!

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/passenger/transport/cruise-terminals

This site has good info on dock locations and how to get into the city.

You can find whether you dock at Lang or Free here: http://www.cmport.com/en-GB/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/Copenhagen.aspx

Click on the "Quay" once you find your ship. It will tell you if it's at Langilinie (hope I spelled that right) or Frihavnen (Freeport).

Oh, and bus schedules are here: http://www.moviatrafik.dk

I believe Stromma boats stop at Langelinie. Netto boats go a similar route. There are also harbor boats (not tour boats) run by the public transportation system (movia) but I forget. Rosenborg is near the metro, or S-tog.

Hope that helps someone, at least a bit, until DV gets back from whipping the Aussies!

Wup wup a 2-0 victory it was :D

@ sippican

I think you can but the homepages of the restaurants I´m looking at reveals nothing but else there is ATM´s inside the park.

On this site there are links to the different restarants homepages with contact information.

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-6574.htm?csref=Footer

@ lazyk

I´m guessing that you are either at the Wake Up or Tivoli Hotel, If it is the Wake Up then don´t bother changing the hotel but Tivoli is a good hotel.

You can reach the center of Copenhagen with bus number 11A so the hotels are better suited for visiting central Copenhagen because the busses on Amager Brogade will go directly to the central station and therefore bypasses the downtown area.

@ TITISSA

The Square and Marriott are the ones i can think of, i don´t know if the Tivoli hotel has 4 stars but i think so.

@ pappy3393

Here is everything you need to know about public transpirtation in Copenhagen.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/Tourist/English-tourist/Pages/English-tourist.aspx

When using the route planner the freeport terminal is located on Orientkaj 2100 København Ø

All the sights you want to see are located around or near Kongens Nytorv but you can´t use bus 26 on a weekend so you have to walk up to Nordhavn station, then take any southbound S-train (Hundige, Køge, Høje Taastrup, Ballerup and Frederikssund) and get off 2 stations later at Nørreport.

Here you will change to the metro towards Vestamager or Lufthaven and get off 1 stop later at Kongens Nytorv.

From Tivoli and back you simply just take any S-trains from track 9 and 10 and get off at Nordhavn station.

I´m guessing that you are on the Crystal Symphony and according to the ports website you will have 2 nights in Copenhagen and if that is true you can go to Roskilde Festival for the last day on Sunday, if you are over 60 years old the entrance is free.

I can email them and ask, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone who has stayed at the Marriott knows if there is free wifi in the rooms or lobby/somewhere. I know some hotels charge for wifi in their rooms, so I was just curious. Thanks.

@ adgtravel

You will be at the freeport terminal, Bus 26 will get you directly to the downtown area.

On the way back the destination will be Færgehavn Nord and not Langelinie (the cruise ships) because the line splits up after Østerport station.

@ jemily45 and also roothy123 :D

Bus 66 (direction Emdrup Torv) will get you to the hotel from the metro station at Christianshavn with M2 from the airport.

Or the central station (københavn H) with the airport train here the bus goes in direction towards the opera.

the stop is called Mitchellsgade

Bus 5A can be taken directly from the airport or with a shortcut to Amagerbro Metro station or from the central station, the stop is called Otto Mønsteds Plads.

The bus is departing from the airport so the destination of the bus is given and from the central station it will obviously go to the airport.

To the port you will have to either walk or taking the bus to the central station (København H) and take any northbound S-train from Track 9 and 10 to Nordhavn were you can walk to the pier in 10 minutes time.

Danish Viking -

I have read almost every post on this thread and am amazed at how kind and patient you are to everyone! I am thanking you in advance for your answer ...

Do you have any guess at how much it would cost for a taxi from the port to the Marriott? Is there a website I could look at to figure it out?

My husband wants to take a taxi, but I want to take public transportation and save money so we have more to spend on the extra two days we'll be in your city after the cruise.

Thanks

250 to 300 DKK should do it, two 3 zone single tickets will be 72 DKK and if you are planning on using public transportation more than this trip then maybe a 2 zone klippekort (145 DKK) with 10 clips/stamps will do the trick.

Use 3 clips on the way from the airport and 3 clips to the airport.

You have now 4 clips left that you can use touring the city or use the from your hotel to the cruise terminal because inside Copenhagen you will only need 2 clips for 2 persons so it is 2 clips to the cruise terminal and 2 clips back to the hotel.

If you were planning on using taxi's for all trips you will be looking at a price around 800-1000 DKK and the klippekort only cost 145 DKK.

@ cadcruiser

You simply just take a north bound S-train from track 9 and 10 and get off at Nordhavn station, from there you will be able to see the ships.

The destinations on the train are Farum, Holte Hillerød and Klampenborg, Line H will only go to Østerport in the weekends and that is one station to short.

When you exit the station just turn right along the railway and walk down to Aarhusgade.

This Street you follows under the railways and turn left along the tracks again until the next intersection where you turn right and just follows the sign for the Freeport terminal.

The trip only takes 10 minutes and you can see the ships the entire time.

@ World Gallery

I would say that it is walkable and there is plenty of sidewalk, but the road has alot of traffic so its not the nicest walk.

@ Homeagain

It only takes 4 minutes and not 10 to walk from the central station.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=K%C3%B8benhavns+Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rd,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=hotel+hebron&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.673455,12.56237&sspn=0.002096,0.004801&geocode=FfCDUQMd3ra_ACG8Pbjhu201oA%3BFTh_UQMdy6m_ACGmoc1JEgVJjClfZpi5DFNSRjEmtGf-NCsZtg&gl=dk&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=18

To get to the pier you can either take any northbound S-train from platform 9 and 10 and get of at Nordhavn station and walk from there.

I would not hesitate to use the airport train when your hotel is only 4 minutes away from the central station and its still way cheaper than a taxi.

I was at this hotel yesterday. It is indeed only 5 min from the train station (easy walk)

Hotel is typical european two star category but has good breakfast.

Insist on a courtyard room or at least a higher floor. There is a nudebar next to hotel and it can get noisy.

Please be careful about Sarah at front desk (all other staff are nice). She is known to give incorrect information or withhold useful information. If she refuses to give detailed map (there are two kinds - skyview3D is useful as it shows buildings in 3D with labels and there is also a VERY USEFUL transport map that shows path of buslines with numbers). They are in the bottom shelf to her right as she faces you. Insit on that she give it you. For some strange reasons she will refuse to hand them out (they are free fromn tourist office). Tourist office is NOT at airport and NOT at central station. It is across Tivoli, next to Raddisson Blue. It closes at 6 pm on Sat and closed on Sundays. Again, staff at BW other than Sarah are fine but if you run into any issues, note that staff at Raddisson is extremely helpful (even if you are not staying there).

Busstop for bus 26 is right at the corner (200 ft) from hotel and it even shows how many minutes for the next bus (timetable is on the pole too but you wil find that bus running 5-10 minutes late or 2 minutes early is not uncommon)

Thanks to advices from Dannis Vikinh, instead o CPH card, I used city pass that cost only 75 DKK (Boat tour from nettos is only 40 DKK). It can get terribly cold and windy in CPH even during summer so if that happens, you may end up using your city pass for "free boat bus" for the cheap harbour tour (Boat bus is fully covered compared to wide open boat tours)

RizRaz is a restaurant I recommend for its excellent healthy buffet. Otherwise there is also all you can eat pasta/pizza place (midway between station and hotel)

Cirkel bus 11A is a smal lelectric bus that is useful within inner city.

By the way, American style Visa card (without chip and pin) is accepted only at certain places. In fact, at airport ticket windows have big signs stating that not only the nachines but even window office qwill not take American cards without chip and pin.

Also, use ATM for cash, money-exchange in Copeenhagen s a big ripoff with their 35 DKK fee in addition to usual horrible FX rate (later is common to all money exchange places all over word).

Train from Airport is much more comfortable than Metro. (By huge margin)

S-Tog are wonderfully impressive. However take them from nearby Veesterport(sp?) station (behind Raddision Blue) rather than crowded/confusing cenral station. (Watchout for pickpockets in Coppenhagen especially around crowded central station and Metro)

Hope the above helps.

I am still trying to figure out the hotels, people have mentioned so many.

I have read about Clarion Mayfair, Clarion Neptun, and Radison Blu Royal or Tivoli hotel.

The Clarion hotels have free breakfast and small evening food selection. The Radison and Tivoli would need to buy breakfast or take hotel room that includes it.

We plan on buying the 72 hours CP card.

Which would be a good choice for 2 nights?

Archived