I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ kuddles 2008

What pier are your ship docked at and witch day are you in port?

What castle are you talking about? Amalienborg, Rosenborg or Christiansborg.

If the segway tour ends near the little mermaid you will not be able to walk to Tivoli in 30 minutes.

The Little Mermaid is also in China this year just so you know.

Sorry Danish Viking - the port is Frihamen - As I said we dock on Friday and wanted to go and visit Rosenborg castle.

Another question - on an earlier post somewhere I read the following

MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

They have an electronic chip in their credit/debit cards - and their card readers simply won't do the non-chip cards.

Come with your atm/debit card and plan on taking out cash for all (or nearly all) of your spending.

What about paying cash for purchases in euros or USD? or should we get Danish krone? Thanks so much for your help.

Another question - on an earlier post somewhere I read the following

MOST Danish stores/shops/etc. DO NOT take American (or any Non-Danish) credit or debit cards.

They have an electronic chip in their credit/debit cards - and their card readers simply won't do the non-chip cards.

Come with your atm/debit card and plan on taking out cash for all (or nearly all) of your spending.

What about paying cash for purchases in euros or USD? or should we get Danish krone? Thanks so much for your help.

The statement you quote is not quite true. Yes, they do use cards with embedded chips, but most stores can accept your US creditcard IF YOU HAVE A 4 DIDGET PIN. Most stores and restaurants in Copenhagen, unless you get into a small bakery or similar not in the center, the employee may not know how to set the register to accept a foreign card or may be too lazy to do so.

Do not expect any store in Denmark to accept Euro or US$ so you will have to use Danish Kroner

The statement you quote is not quite true. Yes, they do use cards with embedded chips, but most stores can accept your US creditcard IF YOU HAVE A 4 DIDGET PIN. Most stores and restaurants in Copenhagen, unless you get into a small bakery or similar not in the center, the employee may not know how to set the register to accept a foreign card or may be too lazy to do so.

Do not expect any store in Denmark to accept Euro or US$ so you will have to use Danish Kroner

We just returned from Copenhagen and don't have a PIN for our Visa card and the only place the card would not work was McDonalds.When the merchant realizes that it is an American CC,they can overide the PIN requirement.We were in 8 countries and this was always the case.

This is overstated. In tourist areas, I would say most merchants accept credit cards. Most supermarkets now also accept credit cards, but they add 3% to the bill on foreign cards. It is true however, that there are still many merchant that do not accept credit cards even though they have a Point of Sale credit card terminal. In these cases the terminal is set up to only work with danish issued debit cards (Dankort). This is not a technical issue, this is simply because the merchant has chosen not to accept credit cards and have not signed a credit card agreement. The reason why these merchants have chosen not to accept CC is that credit card usage is quite low amongst Danes and credit cards have much higher fees for the merchants. But it has absolutely nothing to do with embedded chip or not. All these machines accept both chip cards and magnetic stripes. It's all about what the merchant chooses to accept.

@ kuddles 2008

If your gonna visit Rosenborg you can just get of the bus at Sølvgade or Kongens Nytorv.

My only concern is the distance from the end of the segway tour to Tivoli, you only have 30 minutes to do the distance.

It will also be cheaper not to take the taxi from Tivoli to the ship, just take the train to Nordhavn and walk from there.

@ Sherry Baby

There are no problems by doing this trip.

The only difference is that a tourist bus will take you nonstop from the station in Hillerød (were Frederiksborg Castle is located) to the station in Farum were you can cath the S-train to Copenhagen.

And you can still use the CPH card.

Please also note that there is a smaller castle and a town located on the line between Helsingør and Hillerød called Fredensborg but that is offcourse not Frederiksborg Castle.

@ scrapycruiser

The busstop is located just outside of the gate to the Freeport But remember that the bus will go to the Freeport in the weekends.

The CPH card will only give you a small discount on the Ho/Ho busses.

@ bayjoens

DFDS is not that more expensive only 3-4 dollars more but the tours are guided.

Your schedule looks good but i would switch the canal tour with the Christianborg tour and time it so i would be at Amalienborg to see the changing of the guards at noon.

I was probably putting Christianborg to high on the list but it is a interesting place.

If your not going for a CPH card you can just get the citypass that will cover transportation central Copenhagen, that price is just 70 DKK. for a 24 hour and 180 DKK. for a 72 hour card.

Thank you, Danish Viking! That makes me feel much more confident in my plan! I've read all your postings to others, which of course, answered many of my questions as well. Looking forward to our visit to Copenhagen.

Is it possible this thread could "start over" so it isn't so long!?

Sherry

Need a little advise from veterans of Copenhagen;

Will be in Copenhagen on day(25 Aug), I was planning to do a Segway tour 10-12noon as it sounds like great fun + once in a lifetime.

Advise PLEASE; I am open to suggestions as what to do next?

figure I have about 4-5 hrs.

Segway tour does not start till 10am, and ships docks at 8am so I am also open to something quick.

Thanks to everyone for help.

cruisinbob.com

@ Milwaukeeee

Sorry to confuse you both trips are with guides.

DFDS Canal tours.

With guide 60 DKK.

Without Guide 40 DKK.

But these boats are climate friendly and they also have some cheap daypasses.

Netto Bådene.

With guide 30 DKK.

@ Sherry Baby

That is actually a good suggestion but i think that i will wait to the cruise season is over so everybody can follow up on their questions.

@ wack001

It seems like that the segway tour starts at the Little mermaid so if your ship is docked at Langelinie pier you could take a nice stroll on the Kastellet Fortress and enjoy the scenery.

For the last hours you could walk to Amalienborg Castle and then next a canal tour or you could head directly to Rosenborg Castle after Amalienborg.

After either the canal tour or Rosenborg you could walk a little but down Strøget before heading back to the Nyhavn/ Kongens Nytorv were bus number 26 will get you back to Langelinie pier.

But please post the ships location and day of arrival and time in port.

i also need a start and finishing point and lenght of the Segway tour so i can help you better.

@ wack001

It seems like that the segway tour starts at the Little mermaid so if your ship is docked at Langelinie pier you could take a nice stroll on the Kastellet Fortress and enjoy the scenery.

i also need a start and finishing point and lenght of the Segway tour so i can help you better.

I believe the start/finish position of the tour has moved. Seamus sent us an updated map which shows that they have moved from the Little Mermaid area to near the end of Langelinie Pier. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106246985215796911235.00047ea0151aebc4a9f12&z=15

Simon

@ Sherry Baby

That is actually a good suggestion but i think that i will wait to the cruise season is over so everybody can follow up on their questions.

@ wack001

For the last hours you could walk to Amalienborg Castle and then next a canal tour or you could head directly to Rosenborg Castle after Amalienborg.

After either the canal tour or Rosenborg you could walk a little but down Strøget before heading back to the Nyhavn/ Kongens Nytorv were bus number 26 will get you back to Langelinie pier.

Viking;

Thank you, we will be docking at "Langelinie pier".

I would like to do;

Visit Rosenborg Castle(opens at 10:00am

Do a canal tour

Segway tour @ 10 and 2:00(2hr tour/start close to pier)

Ice bar if I can fit it in, but it only open after 3:30.

my time is short, so please any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated.

bob

DV: Thanks for the great help. So if we switch and go as follows, you think we can make it for the changing of the guard?

1) Go to Christiansborg Slot (Palace).

2) DFDS canal tour.

3) Walk over to Amalienborg Palace.

4) Walk over to Rosenborg Slot (Castle).

5) Walk to the Round Tower

6) Walk Stroget.

7) Tivoli for the evening.

If we have one full day, do you think we could get any of these in as well, especially the Zoo? Is it far away?

Copenhagen Zoo - you simply must see the new elephant house by Sir Norman Foster

The National Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The Resistance Museum

Are there admission fees to anything we want to do besides Tivoli that would make a CPH card more worthwhile than a transit card?

Thanks again, everyone, especially Danish Viking

@ pant21

places like La Glace and Lagkagehuset are open all year round.

My own personalized top 10 looks like this.

Strøget

Tivoli

Canal and/or harbour tour from Nyhavn

Rosenborg Castle

Copenhagen Zoo - you simply must see the new elephant house by Sir Norman Foster

Amalienborg Castle

The National Museum

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The Resistance Museum

The Round Tower

+ the churches are also worth checking out

places outside Copenhagen where transportation is covered with the CPH Card and entrance some places.

Kronborg Castle

Frederiksborg Castle

The Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde

The open Air Museum and Brede Works in Lyngby

My hometown Køge :)

Bakken - The worlds oldest amusement park located inside a huge deergarden.

Danish Viking, we really appreciate your advice on the top 10 sites in and around the City. If we have 2 full days to visit your suggested places outside Copenhagen, do you think it's doable and if it is, how would you group them to optimize the use of time?

Thank you for making our visit to Copenhagen educational and enjoyable!

I have been reading lots of your posts about Copenhagen. I'm glad the money / credit card item was addressed and sort of answered.

We are coming in on Celebrity's Eclipse July 7th and docking at Langelinie Pier Quay C190 about 1 mile from center of town. We want to take the Segway tour . The 10 AM is filled, but the 14:00 or 2:00PM one is available. We did ask for that, but haven't heard back if we got on it yet.

Do any of you have suggestions as to what to do BEFORE the segway tour. I believe it leaves from the cruise area--so we'll need to get back there from whereever else we plan to go to.

We dock at 8:00 AM and can get off at perhaps 8:15-8:30 AM.

Thanks!!

you can also email us at eileensimmons@comcast.net

We will be visiting Copenhagen for one day on the NCL Sun. Can you suggest any stores that we can see and possible buy danish furniture? Are there any stores or museums near the Langoline Pier? When I asked NCL, they said that is where the ship will dock.

Thank you!

@ wack001

Walk through Kastellet fortress to Rosenborg

Walk from Rosenborg to Nyhavn to do the canal tour

Do a canal tour

Take bus number 26 back to the pier from Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv to start the segway tour

Segway tour at 14:00 (2hr tour/start close to pier)

now the clock is 16:00, do you have time for more????

Walking route from the pier to Rosenborg and Nyhavn.

http://map.krak.dk/m/ptPLH

If you take the bus back to the pier for the segway tour just remember that you can only use every second departure.

The sign must say Langelinie (the cruise ships) and not Færgehavn Nord or Indiakaj.

The bus goes every 10th miute but you can only use the ones every 20th minute.

@ bayjoens

1) Go to Christiansborg Slot (Palace). free for both the ruins under Christiansborg and the royal room, normal price is 40 and 70 DKK.

tour. 20% Discount

3) Walk over to Amalienborg Palace. free, normal price is 66 DKK

over to Rosenborg Slot (Castle). free, normal price is 75 DKK

5) Walk to the Round Tower. free normal price is 25 DKK

6) Walk Stroget.

7) Tivoli for the evening. Free, Normal price is 95 DKK

So the card is good value for money.

The Zoo is only about 20 minutes away (including the short walk from Mariott)

You just have to take bus number 6A from the central station/Vesterbrogade and the entrance is free compared to a normal price of 140 DKK.

The bus trip is 23 DKK each way so here you will also save alot with a CPH Card.

@ pant21

I would group Kronborg and Frederiksborg Castle Together.

If you start with Frederikborg Castle and then Kronborg you could finish of in Bakken on the way back to Copenhagen.

A schedule could look like this. (remember the track repairs this summer so the line to Hillerød is closed)

08:30 S-train Line A and E to Farum.

Non stop bus from Farum to Hillerød station, arrival 09:30

Walking up to the castle and arrival at opening time at 10:00.

When finished you can take a bus from just outside the castle to Hillerød station.

The train for Helsingør departs at XX:00 and i will suggest the departure at 12:00.

When you get home you just take the Øresund train for Copenhagen, it departs every 20th minute.

If you want to go to Bakken you will just have to change train at Nivå or Kokkendal and get on the next train that stops at Klampenborg were Bakken is located.

@ elleen

I would take bus number 26 into central Copenhagen at get of at the Nyhavn/KOngens Nytorv Area.

FRom here you can take a canal tour, go to Strøget or the nearby Amalienborg Castle.

The bus will ovcourse take you back to the pier, but as posted before the busline splits up so you have to avoid the departures for Færgehavn Nord.

@ arizonaperson

The star will dock at the freeport terminal and there is no hotels located near the port but one is in planning :-)

The location is marked with blue on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pt5qP

@ llue2005

The Langelinie outlet center is located at the pier.

There are no museums at the pier but the Resistance museum is located just on the other side of the Kastellet Fortress.

The fortress is located just south of the pier.

@ wack001

Walk through Kastellet fortress to Rosenborg

Walk from Rosenborg to Nyhavn to do the canal tour

Do a canal tour

Take bus number 26 back to the pier from Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv to start the segway tour

Segway tour at 14:00 (2hr tour/start close to pier)

now the clock is 16:00, do you have time for more????

Walking route from the pier to Rosenborg and Nyhavn.

http://map.krak.dk/m/ptPLH

If you take the bus back to the pier for the segway tour just remember that you can only use every second departure.

The sign must say Langelinie (the cruise ships) and not Færgehavn Nord or Indiakaj.

The bus goes every 10th miute but you can only use the ones every 20th minute.

Viking;

First let me say "thank you" for everything you have done for EVERYBODY, appreciate you spending your valuable time in helping us out.

In regard to your suggestion, what do you think of doing the Segway tour at 10am which takes me to many of the sights, I will save on my legs. Following Segway end, do a canal tour followed by a quick stop at the ice bar?

bob

@ bayjoens

1) Go to Christiansborg Slot (Palace). free for both the ruins under Christiansborg and the royal room, normal price is 40 and 70 DKK.

tour. 20% Discount

3) Walk over to Amalienborg Palace. free, normal price is 66 DKK

over to Rosenborg Slot (Castle). free, normal price is 75 DKK

5) Walk to the Round Tower. free normal price is 25 DKK

6) Walk Stroget.

7) Tivoli for the evening. Free, Normal price is 95 DKK

So the card is good value for money.

The Zoo is only about 20 minutes away (including the short walk from Mariott)

You just have to take bus number 6A from the central station/Vesterbrogade and the entrance is free compared to a normal price of 140 DKK.

The bus trip is 23 DKK each way so here you will also save alot with a CPH Card.

Thanks so much, DV. We will probably follow your instructions exactly.

-Where do you think we can fit the Zoo in?

-Where can we purchase the CPH card in Copenhagen before we begin our adventure?

Viking;

First let me say "thank you" for everything you have done for EVERYBODY, appreciate you spending your valuable time in helping us out.

In regard to your suggestion, what do you think of doing the Segway tour at 10am which takes me to many of the sights, I will save on my legs. Following Segway end, do a canal tour followed by a quick stop at the ice bar?

bob

Thats sort of what we are doing Bob. On the Segway tour if you see something that interests you, you can go back in the afternoon. We'll do the 10am tour, then walk down to Nyhaven for the canal trip then wander around and eventually to Tivoli and probably stay there until evening. Might even use the city bikes if they are still going!

Simon

Archived