If you cruise CArnival you must be....???

I am not sure you meant it the way it came off but it didn't come across very nicely.;)

I didn't mean to sound snobby or anything, believe me. What I posted is what I noticed on other posts and thought that was why some people believed as they did. (My son misspells words too when he writes.)

Sometimes I think that RCCL cruisers want to hide the fact that they drink and party like Carnival Cruisers. We hit the bars as much on our Mariner cruises as we did on Carnival, never got out of control and saw plenty of others doing the same thing and having fun. If I could get balcony rooms for the same price, sailing the same time of year, on RCCL, we'd sail equally on both Carnival and RCCL. They're both fun. :)

I'm sure there are partiers on RCCL. Unfortunately, I am way too old to be one of them. When I first started cruising in the early 80's, you can be sure I was one of the "party people" and enjoyed every minute of my cruises. Unfortunately, two knee replacements later, old lady fat, and arthritis have settled me down, lol. I still have the memories though!

My husband is from the Bronx- then moved to Forest Hills.. I grew up in Queens and then the island.. It's so out of control out here..(taxes, congestion etc) I might as well live in Queens... I can't see us living upstate... Dont want to move any further east.. Suffolk County is a mess!:confused:

My son was born on Long Island. We lived in Patchogue and he was born in St. Charles Hospital on the north shore. We later moved upstate. It was far less hectic living in Ithaca than living on Long Island. Now my son and his family live in Rochester and my husband and I live where the other "older" people live, Florida.

Anyway, I have had fun with this thread and I am looking forward to going on another cruise.

My husband and I are NOT party people - but we really enjoyed our cruise on the Miracle in March and are looking forward to the Legend in November. I feel that Carnival offers great service, great food, great cabins, & great fun for a decent price.:D

Having been in the travel industry for almost 30 years it is interesting that 'posters' who favor Carnival take offense at their being referred to as party boats...that is the marketing angle they target- younger crowds who party!:cool: Or, the young families- they will be happy to hear they are reaching their intended audience.

I didn't mean to sound snobby or anything, believe me. What I posted is what I noticed on other posts and thought that was why some people believed as they did. (My son misspells words too when he writes.)

I'm sure there are partiers on RCCL. Unfortunately, I am way too old to be one of them. When I first started cruising in the early 80's, you can be sure I was one of the "party people" and enjoyed every minute of my cruises. Unfortunately, two knee replacements later, old lady fat, and arthritis have settled me down, lol. I still have the memories though!

My son was born on Long Island. We lived in Patchogue and he was born in St. Charles Hospital on the north shore. We later moved upstate. It was far less hectic living in Ithaca than living on Long Island. Now my son and his family live in Rochester and my husband and I live where the other "older" people live, Florida.

Anyway, I have had fun with this thread and I am looking forward to going on another cruise.

Patchogue is about an hour east of me. If you have not been here in a while, you would not recognize it...and not in a good way. Do you remember all the farms out east around Pt Jefferson and Mt Sinai? Well they are McMansions and condos. .. So overcrowded

Having been in the travel industry for almost 30 years it is interesting that 'posters' who favor Carnival take offense at their being referred to as party boats...that is the marketing angle they target- younger crowds who party!:cool: Or, the young families- they will be happy to hear they are reaching their intended audience.

Believe me .. they are not "party" ships...at least not the two Carnival Cruises I have been on.

My son was born on Long Island. We lived in Patchogue and he was born in St. Charles Hospital on the north shore. We later moved upstate. It was far less hectic living in Ithaca than living on Long Island.

My daughter was born in St. Charles. :)

As I recall their TV campaign "At any one time there's a million things to do" had one spot with a young family (kids maybe 7 & 9), one with a couple in their 30's and another with a couple in their late 50's or early 60's (our category). It looks like they are advertising to all ages.

We finally stopped listening to the naysayers and booked Carnival for our 16th cruise. Been on 3 Carnivals since then with 2 more booked:D

I would say that Carnival is really interested in filling the cabins. We just have never encountered the "party til you puke" crowd that many feel typify the average Carnival passenger.

Charlie

Okay' date=' yall have got to quit trying to sell everybody on Carnival. If they find out that it really is a great cruise, it will just be that many more chair hogs!:D[/quote']Plus increased demand on a finite supply can cause prices to go up.

So, just start agreeing with the ones who will never sail Carnival and let them know how bad you feel about being "stuck" with cruising Carnival:D

Charlie

I recently had another person tell me how they much prefer to cruise RCI than Carnival. Each to their own. I myself have never been on RCI but do intend to one day. Some of my friends that have been on RCI, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity like them all. What's funny is I said to them how some friends have told me they prefer RCI but some other friends have told me they didn't have as much fun on RCI as Carnival and likes Carnival better. Automatically when I said that the person I was talking to said, 'well we're not big party people'.....I wonder why if someone likes Carnival better people automatically assume you must be the town drunk !:rolleyes: ......or in the case of some people lower class

My wife and I like Carnival. The food is good and the service is pretty good too. Never have been on Princess, but, we've been on RCL. Carnival has better food and service than RCL. One good thing about RCL, I saved a lot of money on tips. Since the service wasn't there why give tips? Celebrity is pretty good too. The food tastes almost as good as on Carnival, but, the service is better. One more good thing about Celebrity, they don't make announcements for everything. It is a more sedate cruise.

Plus increased demand on a finite supply can cause prices to go up.

So, just start agreeing with the ones who will never sail Carnival and let them know how bad you feel about being "stuck" with cruising Carnival:D

Charlie

That's what I am saying, let them go elsewhere!!!! More for me :D OK, lets start a rumor, Carnival is ...... oh never mind, that is what started all this.:rolleyes:

Our first cruise was on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas...we had a great time, loved every minute of it.

Our second cruise will be on Carnival Splendor...and i'm sure we'll love every minute of it as well.

I'll be very interested in seeing both the differences and the similarities of the two cruise lines.

Like you I also sailed for my only time on RCCL Mariner OTS and this year will be sailing on CCL Glory eastern. I am looking forward to the differance that this will offer.

Also 2TN.....my DD and myself are near knoxville TN same as you. Hello neighbor. We are actually in Morristown.

I recently had another person tell me how they much prefer to cruise RCI than Carnival. Each to their own. I myself have never been on RCI but do intend to one day. Some of my friends that have been on RCI, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity like them all. What's funny is I said to them how some friends have told me they prefer RCI but some other friends have told me they didn't have as much fun on RCI as Carnival and likes Carnival better. Automatically when I said that the person I was talking to said, 'well we're not big party people'.....I wonder why if someone likes Carnival better people automatically assume you must be the town drunk !:rolleyes: ......or in the case of some people lower class

There is a World of difference between being "big party people" and being the "town drunk" . . . why did you assume that this was the correlation they were making ? :confused: Some paxs simply like to getup early, enjoy the ship all day, have a nice dinner, see a show, do some shopping onboard and GO TO BED without setting foot in the disco or the piano bar. :D

If one were to classify paxs by the amount of money they spend for the basics of their cruise (passage, port fees, taxes). . . we Carnival cruisers would in fact most likely be the "lower class". :)

There is a World of difference between being "big party people" and being the "town drunk" . . . why did you assume that this was the correlation they were making ? :confused: Some paxs simply like to getup early, enjoy the ship all day, have a nice dinner, see a show, do some shopping onboard and GO TO BED without setting foot in the disco or the piano bar. :D

If one were to classify paxs by the amount of money they spend for the basics of their cruise (passage, port fees, taxes). . . we Carnival cruisers would in fact most likely be the "lower class". :)

I don't know why the OP makes the correlation , but I do know a few people that do have ideas like that.

My former mother in law was old school all the way . If you went into a lounge and sat at a table and had a drink ...No problem, but sitting AT THE BAR in the same room...OH my God you were either a barfly or a tramp sitting there waiting to get picked up.

Have a beer with lunch, "Oh the drinking has to start this early, thats not good"

Some people just have funny ideas

Blame Carnival for how they used to market their cruises. Start with the cheesy ads they used to run with KathiLee Gifford. "Ain't we got fun?":rolleyes:

I sailed Carnival twice. The ship decor resembled the guts of a pinball machine and there was definately much more partying going on than there was on other lines.

How did the general cruising public get the idea that Carnival was the budget party line if not from former pax and the company themselves?

I know a TA that has a photo of a Volkswagon next to the ads for a Carnival Cruise. She sells those cruises as the low end vacation. So even some people in the business consider Carnival to be the tail end of the horse.

Maybe Carnival is starting to change their image? I don't know. Haven't sailed them in years. But SB did look like she wasn't having a great time on board and couldn't wait for the 4 days to end. I remember seeing her other shows about cruising and she was bubbly and seemed genuinely excited about the ships. I'm not sure if it was because of the ships or maybe she is bored with cruising since this was the third show about it.

Blame Carnival for how they used to market their cruises. Start with the cheesy ads they used to run with KathiLee Gifford. "Ain't we got fun?":rolleyes:

I sailed Carnival twice. The ship decor resembled the guts of a pinball machine and there was definately much more partying going on than there was on other lines.

How did the general cruising public get the idea that Carnival was the budget party line if not from former pax and the company themselves?

I know a TA that has a photo of a Volkswagon next to the ads for a Carnival Cruise. She sells those cruises as the low end vacation. So even some people in the business consider Carnival to be the tail end of the horse.

Maybe Carnival is starting to change their image? I don't know. Haven't sailed them in years. But SB did look like she wasn't having a great time on board and couldn't wait for the 4 days to end. I remember seeing her other shows about cruising and she was bubbly and seemed genuinely excited about the ships. I'm not sure if it was because of the ships or maybe she is bored with cruising since this was the third show about it.

Why do people assume that having "fun" means being drunk?:confused: I never understood that?

I just found a commercial for Carnival with Kathy Lee and it doesn't look to me like she is trying to sell a party type cruise. She shows people laying out by the pool, dancing, eating at the midnight buffet, she slides down the slide, people in the dining room, and the shows. All the people in that commercial look like middle age and older folks. When I just watched that commercial, I don't get the impression about a "party as in drunk boat" at all.

Here's the link, if you care to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECwNurBbEQ

I can tell you that on my 2 Carnival cruises, there was nobody falling down drunk. I wouldn't go, if it were like that.

Yes, when I think of KLG, I always think falling down drunk. :rolleyes:

As for SB, you should probably read her blog so you can accurately know what she was thinking.

There is also a world of difference between price conscious and "lower class". The desire to spend less is not an indication of socio-economic status.:)

You're absolutely correct! Stay away from Carnival and all the other lines on par with them, ie RCCL, NCL, X, Princess... Horrible Cruises! All of them

Bad food, horrible decor! Aweful I tell you!:rolleyes:

-Your TA must be real proud of herself, comparing CCL to the Volkswagen-The Fuehrers gift to the masses... How cute of her to make that analogy:rolleyes: (NOT)

I am going to jump in here. . .

I have been on 9 Carnival, 1 NCL and 3 RCCL cruises to date. I now have 3 Carnival cruises booked. My preference is obvious.

The alcohol consumption is probably about equal (IMHO). Carnival is not a party cruiseline but a "let your hair down" cruiseline. Their activities and facilities are geared towards people interacting with each other. RCCL facilities are opposite. Most of the RCCL more popular facilities are singlar (rock climbing, water surfing, ice skating).

On any Carnival cruise, out of the 2,500+ passengers onboard, only a few hundred (at the most) partake in the piano bar or the dance club. A majority of Carnival passengers are not party people.

I have been on the short 3 nighters with CCL and found the dance club/piano bar to be more lively than on CCL's longer cruises. Same with RCL.

Social/economical make up of the passengers on these two cruiselines are identical, with RCCL drawing more couples and Carnival more families, groups, singles and solos.

Since I don't rock climb, water surf, ice skate or need to cruise to enjoy Johnny Rocket, I don't see any reason to spend the extra money up front.

I cruise solo. Carnival makes the small effect to group solos together for dinner, RCL does not. There are things unique to RCL that I really liked (i.e., their buffet is laid out better - no lines) but apples to oranges, I am always drawn to Carnival, especially now that I have obtained Platinum status. I like the "rah, rah, rah" high energy atmosphere of Carnival.

My NCL cruise was with NCL America for a Hawaiian cruise. I would not compare that experience with a typical NCL cruise experience. I didn't care for freestyle dining though.

Some like McDonalds, Some like Burger King.

CCL and RCI are both mass market cruise lines. There is not a nickles worth of difference in them. One has plusses in certian areas, the other has plusses in other areas.

If you want a class line then try the other cruise lines (although owned by either CCL or RCI) like Cunard, HAL, Asmeria (sp).

I just like to cruise and I make the most out of any situation. Life is too short to be complaining about whether to wear black socks or white socks.

Later

Jim

Archived