Looking for waterproof watch....

where can I buy one that's not too expensive?

Look for a Citizen watch on Ebay, you can find some great prices there, how deep do you want to go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CITIZEN-AQUALAND-DIVERS-CHRONO-200M-W-DATE-MENS-WATCH_W0QQitemZ110261987106QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110261987106&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This looks like a nice website that talks about watches and had infomation and reviews: http://www.watchreport.com/

Click on Dive Watches on the left side.

Fred

I buy relic watches from jcpenney for about $60 - the ones with the little swimmer on them are water resistant to 165 feet. I am a purely rec diver and go to only about 30-60 feet and have never had a problem with them.

Look for a Citizen watch on Ebay, you can find some great prices there, how deep do you want to go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CITIZEN-AQUALAND-DIVERS-CHRONO-200M-W-DATE-MENS-WATCH_W0QQitemZ110261987106QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110261987106&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This looks like a nice website that talks about watches and had infomation and reviews: http://www.watchreport.com/

Fred

this will be my first time purchasing one so I'm not really sure of what to expect.

this will be my first time purchasing one so I'm not really sure of what to expect.

Lots of good info on that Watch Report website... what type of water sports do you need it for? Snorkeling or Diving?

Water Resistances you can use like for taking a shower, Water Proof is for underwater submersion.

The G-Shock brand is cheap in price but they have a few models that can handle the water.

Fred

1. What makes a watch water-resistant?

There are several features that help make a watch water-resistant. The most important is the gaskets, or 0 rings-made of rubber, nylon or Teflon which form watertight seals at the joints where the crystal, case back and crown meet the watch case. if the watch is a chronograph, the chronograph pushers will also have gaskets.

In addition, water-resistant watch cases are lined with a sealant, applied in the form of a quick-hardening liquid, which helps keep water out.

The thickness and material of the case is also a big factor in determining whether a watch can safely be worn underwater. The case must be sturdy enough to withstand pressure without caving in says John Sokol, technical directors at TAG-Heuer USA in general, this means a steel or titanium case or a steel case plated with gold, manufacturers say. Solid gold cases can be water resistant provided they are sufficiently thick.

A screw-in case back, as opposed to one that pushes in, also contributes to a watch's water resistance. A screw-in crown, a feature of many divers' watches, helps prevent water getting into the case through the watch-stem hole. When it is screwed down it forms a water tight seal much like the seal between a jar and its lid.

top2.gif2. Why aren't watches ever labeled or described in advertising as "waterproof" even if they can be worn deep-sea diving?

According to guidelines issued by the Federal Trade Commission, watch marketers are not allowed to label their watches "water-proof." Even watches designed for deep-sea diving cannot claim to be water-proof.

top2.gif3. My watch is labeled "water-resistant to 50 meters" but the manufacturer's instructions say I can only wear it swimming, not snorkeling or diving. Why is that?

The different levels of water resistance as expressed in meters are only theoretical. They refer to the depth at which a watch will keep out water if both watch and the water are perfectly motionless, says Scott Chou, technical director at Seiko Corp. of America. These conditions, of course, are never met in the real swimmer's or diver's world. in real life, the movement of the wearer's arm through the water increases the pressure on the watch dramatically; so it can't be worn to the depths indicated by lab testing machines.

top2.gif4. What are the various levels of water-resistance?

Watches with the lowest level of water resistance are labeled simply "water-resistant." They can withstand splashes of water but should not be submerged. Above that (or below it, literally speaking), the most common designations are

-50 meters (1 meter is about 3.3 feet), which means the watch is suitable for swimming;

-100 meters; indicating it can be worn snorkeling;

-200 meters, suitable for recreational scuba diving and, believe it or not,

-1,000 meters (roughly three-fifths of a mile).

Watches in this last category can endure deep-sea diving. Their gaskets are made of materials that can withstand the helium used in decompression chambers. Some have valves that let the wearer release the helium that has seeped into the watch so the case won't explode as the watch and diver adjust to normal atmospheric conditions, says Peter Purtschert, technical director at Breitling USA.

If you're just going to be snorkling or on the beach, a cheap waterproof watch will do fine. We just wanted something that kept time and we wouldnt care about since we werent planning on wearing it at home. Found one at Big Lots for $5 and trashed it when we were done. Target or Wal-Mart might also have some.

I've had my Acqua watch for 9 years now. It's water resistant to 30 meters (a little over 90ft) and it has been in the pool and snorkeling in Cozumel dozens of times with no problems whatsoever. They're about $35 at Walmart. Best value I've ever had.

I bought a little velcro strap water-resistant watch at Walmart for like $10. I wore it snorkeling on my last cruse and it still works to this day. Just depends on what kind of quality you want. The one I got had a backlight and was water resistant up to like 65 ft which is plenty for me since I only snorkel.

I have way to many watches.I have "divers" made by Citizen, Seiko, Croton.St. Moritz, and Invicta. All of the watches have screwed in case backs and screw down crowns. These are the two key things for a good dive watch. I dive all of them to 150 feet or more and never have a problem.The Invicta Pro Diver is one heck of a watch and can be bought for around $100 in some models.Shop NBC is a great place for watches at a good price.

Timex has both water resistent and water proof watches and is available at both WalMart and Target as well as at sports stores (and probably everywhere else). I find Timex to be good value....of course I usually lose watches (I take them off and lay them down somewhere because it bothers my wrist when I type) so I try not to buy expense ones.

We get watches that can go to 65 ft. at Walmart. They are Timex, and I love them because they have a band that velcroes, so I can hook it to my fanny pouch, swimsuit strap, etc. (I never wear a watch on my wrist) Cost is $9.95 on sale, and it seems like they are always on sale. My dh made fun of me because his somehow came off his wrist at HMC on the water trampoline, and I swam all the way out, dove down about 10 ft to get it. My family was cracking up, and the whole area of lounges was cheering as I came out waving that $10 watch - like it was worth $1,000! But those watches are a great value - they are either digital, or the old fashioned kind with the hands. (if anyone remembers what those look like - LOL)

I bought one at Wal-Mart for $10. It is water-resistant up to 50 meters. It is also pink (my favorite color). It is the velcro type and rubber. It will work for snorkeling or just swimming. I like it because the wrist band is rubber and I don't have to worry about anything with it. I only wear it in the water. I certainly have my expensive watch and my water watch. Two extreme ends of the cost. I love my water watch. :D

I have a Timex Sport Pulse Calculator Watch (though I've never used the pulse calculator). It's been on two trips now, both of which involved lots of water and snorkeling. I've also taken it on countless boating trips at our nearby lakes, and lord knows what else I've put the watch through.

It "takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

I just priced it on Amazon for $25.95.

It even has a timer and an alarm on it, and lights up nicely at night.

• 3 years later...

If you shop around the net (or just go to amazon) you can get a Timex Ws4 for around $130. Might sound like a lot but it does a lot and is the perfect cruise watch because:

1) It is water resistant to 50'

2) Has an altimeter (interesting)

3) Compass (might help you orient yourself when walking)

4) Dual time (good if you have ship time and shore times that are different)

5) Loud alarms (there are two of them as well)

6) Barometer (for weather)

7) Weather icon

The last two are my favorite. It will display an icon predicting weather a few hours in the future (rain/cloudy/partly cloudy/sun) It has shown itself to be pretty accurate in forcasting wind/cloud bursts. The barometer graph is even more telling- if you see it steadily dropping, seek shelter!

Hi gang for those that have the watches....i am looking for one also....whats easier to read at rec dive depths, digital or analog??

Open Water certified back in 1980 and been using an analog dive watch ever since. That plus the fact that I'm presbyopic makes a watch with hands the only one for me.....

where can I buy one that's not too expensive?

I bought my watch on my last cruise and it's very nice and cheap!! I got it at one of the $10 stores. It has an alarm, stop watch, it has about 30 meter depth. I've taken it out snorkeling in the ports and it still works fine. I hope this helps!!!

I got both of mine on cruiseships .. one was $10 and the other I think maybe was $10 too.

mens watches, not feminine, but both waterproof. :D

OK I know only good to 10 meters or whatever, but Im not diving.

Ditto. I never wear watches and just use my cell phone to see the time at home. The two times I forgot to bring a watch, I just bought the $10 ones on board. They have been fine. I do not use them here, and will probably forget to grab one when I leave again in September.

Archived