Dumb question re: cable ties for luggage ... or getting them off! Leaving Sat.

BonnieVA

never done it - but have read that people use nail clippers

Ok, I was going over my packing list & realized we need to get the cable ties OFF our luggage! (We aren't using regular luggage locks.) What have YOU used to break them apart once in your cabin?

I use cable ties - but I don't pull them tight. I leave some slack in them. Then I just insert a key into the slack and twist and twist and twist. The cable tie breaks right apart. No fuss no muss.

I only use the cable ties to keep my zippers closed and prevent my unmentionables from making a show on the luggage carousel. I know that they aren't for real security. I do use hot pink or orange zip ties which are tougher to replace if you break them for nefarious reasons.

I have used nail clippers and it works great for anything but the bigger ties.

Be warned though that if you are flying from or into the USA (and other nations) TSA will cut the ties to inspect your baggage. Most of the time they will not accept the baggage with the ties or unapproved locks on them.

Most cruise lines reserve the right to open your checked baggage for inspection. They will cut the ties. The last cruise we were on, RCI insisted that the bags not be cable tied or locked when we gave them to the baggage handlers.

The people who steal from checked baggage know that they can cut the ties or lock pretty much with impunity since security does it all the time.

If you are taking anything along of value such as camera, watch, jewelry, medicine, etc., carry it on in your hand luggage.

Be warned though that if you are flying from or into the USA (and other nations) TSA will cut the ties to inspect your baggage. Most of the time they will not accept the baggage with the ties or unapproved locks on them.

Since when are zip ties not being accepted? Friends of ours just flew from New Orleans to Barcelona and they used zip ties without a problem and fully expect to use them on the return trip as well. It is my understanding if you are not using TSA approved locks and they want to inspect, they will cut them off - fine by me, but I don't feel pressured into buying TSA approved locks just to make them happy.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I use green zip ties. I can tell when my bags have been inspected because the zip ties are replaced but are white. I keep my nail clipper in an outside pocket of my luggage so it is handy whenever I want to open the suitcase.

Just use a keyed lock--(why are folks against a padlock???) Then, you have a key in your pocket! It does NOT have to be TSA approved. Go to Wal-mart and buy a pack of how many you need. If the airline HAS to get in , they will, and if they don't, you'll be locked up tight.

I use the zip ties too. I put a set of nail clipper in the outside pocket, then use them to cut it off after. I put more zips in the same pocket for the return journey. TSA uses white or black so I use another coloured one.

I keep a small pair of nail clippers in an outer pocket of my luggage. Nail clippers are even allowed in your carry on, I think.

When the TSA cuts the zip ties off to inspect my bag, they replace them. I know this because I always use neon colored zip ties and TSA uses white ones - along with the usual "we searched your stuff" note inside the bag. I think it's nice of them to re-secure the bag (and I'm no fan of the Thousands Standing Around, let me tell you!).

I've traveled internationally with zip tied bags and never had any issues.

I don't use it as a means of really securing my bag; it's solely to keep the zippers firmly closed and prevents my undies from winding up in a plastic bag on the luggage carousel. :D Anything remotely valuable goes as a carry-on.

At LAX last week you were not allowed to give your luggage to the TSA screeners with zip ties on. Had to cut them off and hand over the luggage!

I have used zip ties and don't make them too tight. I can break them by inserting a ball point pen (twisting the pen). Nail clippers work as well, but the pen idea is a good back up.

"Just use a keyed lock--(why are folks against a padlock???) Then, you have a key in your pocket! It does NOT have to be TSA approved."

I don't use keyed locks because then you have to keep track of a key. Also, if TSA has to get in, they have to break the lock and then it's useless. Do they replace the broken lock with a zip tie? I think not, so now your luggage is left unsecured.

You forget the cabin attendant - we got new luggage last year without outside compartments and only remembered once on board. Your cabin attendant will have a pair of sissors to help you break into your luggage - if you do have this outside compartment then the nail clippers are a good option.

Only put your cable ties on to your luggage when you get to the TSA and ask if once they have screened it you can seal them - I have yet to have them refuse this request -even on busy days.

TSA won't break the locks if they are TSA approved locks - they have a master key that will open it.

"Just use a keyed lock--(why are folks against a padlock???) Then, you have a key in your pocket! It does NOT have to be TSA approved."

I don't use keyed locks because then you have to keep track of a key. Also, if TSA has to get in, they have to break the lock and then it's useless. Do they replace the broken lock with a zip tie? I think not, so now your luggage is left unsecured.

TSA won't break the locks if they are TSA approved locks - they have a master key that will open it.

False info.

TSA OFTEN cuts off TSA locks. The supervisor has the key/combo. When the supervisor is out to lunch, in the bathroom or just plain missing (which is very often the case), the locks get cut off mucho pronto. Can't hold up the luggage waiting for when and IF the supervisor returns.

I laugh every time I walk into Phoenix Sky Harbor and JFK, AA gates. At the baggage check in thingy, right on top or at the side is a LARGE RED PAIR of BOLT CUTTERS. They are not there for decoration.

Actually, LAX has 2 areas for checking in luggage. The one with very short line and fast, does not allow TSA locks or ties. The other line allows TSA locks and ties.

At LAX last week you were not allowed to give your luggage to the TSA screeners with zip ties on. Had to cut them off and hand over the luggage!

Just use a keyed lock--(why are folks against a padlock???) Then, you have a key in your pocket! It does NOT have to be TSA approved. Go to Wal-mart and buy a pack of how many you need. If the airline HAS to get in , they will, and if they don't, you'll be locked up tight.

First of all the airlines do not go into your bags or inspect them...TSA which is part of Homeland Security by law is mandated to screen all checked bags..

I also don't agree with purchasing a keyed lock at all or using Zip ties..You are asking to have a Keyed lock or zip ties cut off..

According to the TSA WEB site" http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/pack.shtm

QUOTE Checked baggage is luggage you check in at the ticket counter or curbside. It will not be accessible during your flight. Please refrain from locking your checked baggage or use a TSA Accepted & Recognized Lock. TSA is mandated by Federal law to screen 100% of checked baggage. If your baggage alarms and TSA cannot gain access to your checked bag, unrecognized locks may be broken. TSA will not reimburse passengers for unrecognized locks broken as a result of the security screening process UNQUOTE

TSA also has an arrangement with “Travel Sentry” & ” Safe Skies” to supply 'accepted and recognized' locks... TSA screener's have tools for opening and re-locking baggage marked with either of these logos, thus avoiding damage to the lock or bag if a physical inspection is required.

I fail to understand why people spend thousands of $$$ on a cruise & refuse to purchase TSA approved locks for their checked baggage..:confused: These locks can be purchased for as little as $8 to $10 each.. You can purchase TSA accepted locks in Drug stores, Wal-Mart, Target stores on-line etc..

Why would anyone take a chance & have your keyed lock or Zip ties cut off...

JMO...Cheers...:) Betty

TSA also has an arrangement with “Travel Sentry” & ” Safe Skies” to supply 'accepted and recognized' locks... TSA screener's have tools for opening and re-locking baggage marked with either of these logos, thus avoiding damage to the lock or bag if a physical inspection is required.

I fail to understand why people spend thousands of $$$ on a cruise & refuse to purchase TSA approved locks for their checked baggage..:confused: These locks can be purchased for as little as $8 to $10 each.. You can purchase TSA accepted locks in Drug stores, Wal-Mart, Target stores on-line etc..

Why would anyone take a chance & have your keyed lock or Zip ties cut off...

JMO...Cheers...:) Betty

Please understand that the only people who have access to the keys or combo for the "TSA approved" locks are supervisors. When the supervisor is "out to lunch" or away from their station, locks on bags that need to be inspected are CUT OFF. TSA baggage agents don't wait-they cut them off.

I fly over 100,000 miles per year. You would not believe the amount of times I see people looking at their luggage on the carousel wondering what happened to their TSA locks. Mine were cut off within a few months of purchase.

IF TSA does not replace your lock or cuts it off, your luggage is floating around with NO protection. I SWEAR by zip ties. Makes it easy to spot your luggage if you use the brightly colored ones. Cheap and easy!!!!!

When flying internationally, we often find little flyers from the TSA inside our luggage - letting you know that they opened and inspected the contents. I wouldn't bother to lock luggage anymore.

Archived