Windjammer trays?

Just wondered if there are still no trays available in the Windjammer. Is it worthwhile packing a couple of lightweight plastic trays to take to the buffet? It's just that with 2 small kids I'm not sure how we'll get 4 meals to the table with just 2 adults trying to carry everything :o

We were just on Grandeur with 2 busloads full of Parkinson's patients. There weren't trays for passenger use, but the Windjammer staff had trays and would assist people who needed help. If they didn't always have so much of the seating roped off, it would have been a great system ... as it was, even with the staff helping, the seating areas were often a bit of an obstacle course for the many elderly people on that particular cruise.

If you eat in the dining, JR’s or specialty restaurant, your meal will be served. This might be an option for most meals except the boarding day buffet.

I was not aware that the ship had some trays available. That should solve your dilemma.

enjoy

M

The Windjammer changed from the tray/plates to round plates the year they launched the Freedom, no?

The dining room isn't open every day for lunch; it is closed on days that the ship is in port, unfortunately.

Anyone who feels strongly about having a tray at their disposal can order something from room service on the first day and keep the tray for the whole cruise.

Leslie

RCCL has always had the very large oval plates and no trays since we started cruising in 2001. Serenade OTS was our first RCCL ship and since then we have sailed on Voyager, Mariner, Adventure, Navigator and Monarch. None of the ships ever had trays, just the large oval plates I have already mentioned.

I was going to say--try the dining room, at least for breakfast! so much nicer than trying to serve yourself! You can get everything that's in the WJ, and then some! And it's served to you--hot, with all the condiments. no searching for jelly or waiting for someone to finish using the syrup while your pancakes get cold! You don't have to dress up at breakfast and lunch--shorts are fine in the dining room then!

Thanks for all your replies. I'll think I'll wait and see how things pan out when we're on board. If necessary we'll keep the room service trays and use those; saves having to bring our own.

The two minor things that have always bothered me between RCCL and Carnivall ... no peepholes in the cabin doors and no trays in the WJ. I can understand that perhaps they are trying to keep people from overloading plates or from making the WJ look like a cafeteria (which its, right?), but it's a hassle to grab food, silverware, and drinks in one trip without the tray.

I was pleasantly surprised on our recent Liberty cruise to find a very involved staff in the Windjammer. The most I have ever experienced. Both the waiters and supervisory staff were working full time helping people find tables, carry the large plates, bring any kind of drinks and refills. They were all pleasant and even funny. No one seemed bored or jaded by their jobs...always smiles on their faces.

I would stop at the stairwell area in the most aft of the Windjammer waiting for my husband to finish collecting food and before I could blink someone was trying to find me a table. It was really nice and definitely a step up from previous cruises.

So, don't know about other ships but Miss Liberty has her act together when it comes to the WJ service!

Deb

Why they removed the trays -

When RCCL computed the total weight of all the trays onboard and figured out how much fuel they could save by unloading them from the ship they decided they could do without them. Next to disappear will be the water pitchers and ice sculptures.If all goes as planned they won't have to increase the fuel surcharges with these cut backs. ;)

I thought I would miss having a tray also when I first heard of it. But, what we did was first get our drinks and silverware and put them on a table to hold it (I hope that doesn't start a new problem of Chair Hogs in Windjammer) lol and then went and got our food which was not as inconvenient as I thought it would be.

Or I just thought of a new thing to pack in your suitcase ...A TRAY lol

When RCCL computed the total weight of all the trays onboard and figured out how much fuel they could save by unloading them from the ship they decided they could do without them. Next to disappear will be the water pitchers and ice sculptures.If all goes as planned they won't have to increase the fuel surcharges with these cut backs. ;)

LOL! cute... :p

I do know that when I want to take food back to the cabin I have asked for a tray and been given one without hesitation.

The two minor things that have always bothered me between RCCL and Carnivall ... no peepholes in the cabin doors and no trays in the WJ. I can understand that perhaps they are trying to keep people from overloading plates or from making the WJ look like a cafeteria (which its, right?), but it's a hassle to grab food, silverware, and drinks in one trip without the tray.

RCCL's oval plates are so large, I place the drink cup/coffee cup on the plate, hold the silverwear and plate with one hand and can carry it all in one trip. I'm a clutz usually and if I can do it, most everyone can do it. Now, dealing with kids....that's another story. I don't travel with kids so I haven't had to contend with that. I have seen the WJ staff assisting passengers with the "carry" so that shouldn't be a problem.

I was pleasantly surprised on our recent Liberty cruise to find a very involved staff in the Windjammer. The most I have ever experienced. Both the waiters and supervisory staff were working full time helping people find tables, carry the large plates, bring any kind of drinks and refills. They were all pleasant and even funny. No one seemed bored or jaded by their jobs...always smiles on their faces.

Deb

We were on Mariner 4 times last year and the staff in the WJ was great. We had the same experience and agree with Deb; staff was pleasant and seemed to enjoy their work.

Oh no...not the ice sculptures!!! They seem to say, "hello, you are on a cruise" to me. Please don't get rid of the ice sculptures.

BTW, does an ice sculpture weigh any more than the amount of water it takes to make the sculpture??? Was this a joke???

We've been taking land-based vacations since 2004. Back to cruising later this year. So forgive me if I'm waaaay out of the loop: Why/when were trays removed from Windjammer?

We didn't have any trays in the Windjammer this past January but I am not sure how long before then it was. On your first night get something that will require two trays from room service and keep one tray in your desk drawer to use back and forth for takeouts at the Wind Jammer.

RCCL's oval plates are so large, I place the drink cup/coffee cup on the plate, hold the silverwear and plate with one hand and can carry it all in one trip. I'm a clutz usually and if I can do it, most everyone can do it. Now, dealing with kids....that's another story. I don't travel with kids so I haven't had to contend with that. I have seen the WJ staff assisting passengers with the "carry" so that shouldn't be a problem.

i read your comment about the large oval plates before and am still puzzled. there were only normal sized round plates on splendour last week. if i put a bowl on there (for cereal), i only had room to tuck a little fruit underneath. i guess the plates vary too!

i read your comment about the large oval plates before and am still puzzled. there were only normal sized round plates on splendour last week. if i put a bowl on there (for cereal), i only had room to tuck a little fruit underneath. i guess the plates vary too!
Large oval plates were the replacement for trays, they've now been replaced themselves with regular round plates.

We had the oval plates on the Mariner last year but last week on the Mariner we had regular sized plates. I think I read on hear somewhere that the oval plates are being phased out.

We also experienced very helpful waiters in the WJ so there was no need to try and carry a plate and drinks. A waiter came to the table everytime we sat down and would get us drinks and anything else we needed. Managers were also taking plates at the rear stairs and finding seats for people.

We also experienced very helpful waiters in the WJ so there was no need to try and carry a plate and drinks. A waiter came to the table everytime we sat down and would get us drinks and anything else we needed. Managers were also taking plates at the rear stairs and finding seats for people.

oh wow, that's awesome. i would've really appreciated that. instead i got glares from the wj staff. consistently. :( i swear i didn't ask them for anything or say anything or do anything but get out of their way as fast as i could!

I always juggled the silverware until I noticed DH wasnt having as much difficulty as I was because his were in his pocket (granted you can only do this if you have a pocket). I dont have problems anymore b/c DH holds his AND mine.

Round plates? :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Archived