Eliminate Formal Night?

Snoofer

Dag (in Columbus),

This is my last post on this subject. Respectfully, you are missing the point of this thread. Formal nights are part of the tradition of cruising and based on my 24 cruises I believe that one of the reasons cruising has become so popular is that it is a very different experience than one has in their everyday lives. Women in particular who perform miracles every day, balancing work and family, enjoy cruises because it does give them a reason to wear clothes that they do not wear at other times of the year.

Again, just because people like to dress up two or three times a year while on a cruise ship, does not automatically make them snobs, elitists, or phonies. I am none of the above. Proudly, I come from a working class family and though I have been very fortunate in terms of my career, family, and financially I remember those days when I was in very different circumstances. To keep active physically and mentally and because we like kids, my DW and I are substitute teachers in between our travels.

To reiterate my point, if you get rid of formal nights, cruise lines will see this another excuse to dilute the cruise experience (lower quality of food, less staff on board, less money spent on entertainment, less training of staff, and lower salaries for their very hard working staff).

Take care,

Fred

From getting caught up in many of these threads, I have seen many fighting to keep things formal being extremely rude and condescending when dealing with others, maybe they need to put on their formal wear before they type a reply!:D

MAC

BOTH side are guilty of "unbecoming typing".;)

Hello,

The reason I want to keep formal nights has nothing to do with elitism, snobbery, or anything else that involves judging others because of what they wear. Halter tops, flip flops, cut offs are no problem whatsoever. People can do whatever it is that brings warmth and happiness to their lives.

For the record, I agree with you. I'm just wondering why you quoted me?:confused:

My post was in response to the above about those who want to keep formal nights being rude and condescending. The reason I posted is because I've seen the ones who don't want to dress formally being just as rude and condescending. EVERYONE needs to be nice with their reply no matter which way they feel.:)

Personally, I'd hate to see Formal Nights go away. There are several cruiselines that have optional formal nights and I choose not to cruise with them because I enjoy getting all "dolled up" for the evening on a cruise. I don't get any real chance to do that in "real life" so I do look forward to it on my cruise. But it's definitely not for everyone.

I have to agree with Barb and Sean and not wanting to see formal night go away.. Although I am used to wearing a jacket and tie to work by choice and also to church I still like would like to do so at least one night on ship. From reading on this topic for over a year now I have come to notice that not allot of the individuals that either don't wish to dress up or can careless one way or another are not bad people or menaces to society as their dress would lead on...Some replies on here seem defensive for the simple fact that NO ONE like to be told what they can and can not do or wear so their relies on here will speak for them so to speak, those that prefer to keep the formal attire I am sure that they are not snobbish or anything of that nature but their replies can come off that way, perception is a very big thing when having this online discussions and to piggy back off iheartbda every one could be nice with their replies no matter which side of the fence we are on :)

Formal nights are money makers for the cruise lines.

Start with the formal picture night,They are the best sellers. Then count how many women have their hair done at the Spa and to a small extent the Tux Rentals. The cocktail lounges always seem more crowded on formal night.

Not revenue the cruise lines want to give up because we don't want to pay the new luggage fees.

Formal nights are money makers for the cruise lines.

Start with the formal picture night,They are the best sellers. Then count how many women have their hair done at the Spa and to a small extent the Tux Rentals. The cocktail lounges always seem more crowded on formal night.

Not revenue the cruise lines want to give up because we don't want to pay the new luggage fees.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the cruise lines making money.

No one HAS to; buy the pictures, have their hair done, rent a tux or have more cocktails. The people doing those things are probably doing it because they want to and it gives them some enjoyment. BTW, we did not buy any formal pictures last year but we did buy 4 of the new casual style ones.;) Also, we've been able to get formal wear in our luggage which was one suitcase and one carry on each.:)

With the cost of everything escalating, I like the idea of formal nights being strictly optional. Those who wish to dress formally are free to do so. The rest of us should be allowed to feel comfortable in "smart casual" dress for supper and the entire evening.

Formal clothes are outrageously priced (IMO), and we would get more pleasure from spending money on side trips when we pull into port. Clothes are not our top priority, but I do believe they should be neat.

Rather than having a yes/no approach to the formal nights. It would be nice if some cruises could be offered specifically with no formal nights, for those who don’t want to have that as part of their vacation experience. The cruise line should also make it clear what the dress code will be, so people can use that as part of their decision making.

I’ve been on a three-day cruise from Los Angeles to Ensenada aboard Carnival, and a two day Princess repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Los Angeles. On both of these there were “formal” nights, which seemed out of place.

However, aboard a longer Alaskan cruise, aboard Holland America Lines, the formal nights seemed very appropriate.

On a three-day NCL cruise people were given the option to dress formally, but most people did not choose to do so.

Rather than having a yes/no approach to the formal nights. It would be nice if some cruises could be offered specifically with no formal nights, for those who don’t want to have that as part of their vacation experience. The cruise line should also make it clear what the dress code will be, so people can use that as part of their decision making.

No one HAS to participate in formal night, many don't now. I'll play the devil's advocate here and ask, will having others dressed in formal wear spoil your dining experience or cruise?;)

No one HAS to participate in formal night, many don't now. I'll play the devil's advocate here and ask, will having others dressed in formal wear spoil your dining experience or cruise?;)

An excellent question. I wouldn't say that it would not "spoil" the experience, but it does feel a bit strange to be seated amongst a crowd of formally dressed people when one is not formally dressed.

My thought is that it would make it more comfortable for both the formal and informal groups if they were on cruises with people of a like mindset.

The problem that we had on our last (two day) cruise was that we had not been informed that there would be a formal night, and so did not come prepared. It was a bit uncomfortable.

But aren't people banned to the buffet if they don't dress formally on formal night? That's where my problem lies.

But aren't people banned to the buffet if they don't dress formally on formal night? That's where my problem lies.

On our two-night cruise we were concerned that we would not be allowed entry because we did not have formal clothes, and that would have been pity, since we really wanted to have a sit-down restaurant-style dinner.

We were allowed entry, (and from reading other posts here it sounds like people are not often, if ever, banned) but it would be nice to have some cruises available where this would not be an issue at all.

Of course, it would also be nice to have cruises where people know that there will be formal nights, and the expectation is that people would participate.

Men can purchase a Tux, formal shirts and all the accessories for far less than the coast of a nice sport coat. Most formal wear shops sell used Tuxes for $80 or less. Ladies spend more on formal attire. Personally I like seeing all the ladies dressed so beautifully! Formal nights add something different, a little of the traditional aspect of cruising, some old fashioned relaxation to our over stressed fast paced lifestyle. We love formal nights and I agree eliminating formal nights would have a real negative impact on the cruise experience. No one makes you participate in formal night, go have a nice dinner in the buffet line you don't want to participate. Or choose a cruise that is family oriented or more low key. Our vote is to keep formal nights - we love them. We would sure like to see dress codes strictly enforced on the ships. No jeans and t-shirts in the dining rooms means just that. If you can't dress appropriately for the cruise YOU CHOSE - stay home and let those who appreciate that style of cruising enjoy it.

All cruise lines are different but I have not seen anyone relegated to the buffet if not dressed formally. I don't think anyone is actually banned. Saw plenty of people not dressed formally in the diningroom on RCCL. They may be asked to change to long pants or told flip flops are not permitted but certainly not told they can't be seated without formal wear.

On Celebrity, if you chose not to be among others who are "dressed up" because you would feel uncomfortable, you can go to the buffet. Now here's the good part...it is not buffet food that you serve yourself, you are seated at a table with tableclothes and served by waiters the same food that is being offered in the dining room. This was the case everytime we cruised on Celebrity.:)

Wow.....someone really needs more fiber in his diet!! Either Carnival puts food on your table or you are really touchy.....the poster was only stating his or her opinion. You seem to have one shouldn't they?

hmmm, it does seem like you are bashing a person that just made a statement also. I see you havent cruised on Carnival, but yet you talk about fiber?? What does this mean?

I just got back from a Carnival cruise and yes they did have a "Formal Night" and yes it is a very fun cruise line. People were having fun, so if this is what "FIBER" in your diet means, then PLEASE give me more "FIBER"....!

YOU, should try it yourself!

This is DW of flatman.

I never stated that he wasn't allowed to have an opinion. All I said was comments referring to the "tattooed people" that sail on Carnival or "frat parties" is narrow minded coming from someone who has not sailed with Carnival in almost 30 years. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that does not excuse uninformed people putting down a cruise line that they have not sailed on in 30 years either. I am sure there are just as many "tattooed people" and partiers on Royal or HAL or any other cruise line.

I AGREE with you 100% !!

Just got back from our first cruise and we went on Carnival, and what I seen on this cruise was people having "FUN" there wasn't any "frat parties" people were just enjoying their vacation. Formal night is up to the individual, and I chose not to go to it, but that was my choice, don't care what others do, that's there choice. I went on this cruise to have fun and we did have fun on Carnival Imagination !

The DW of flatman... :)

On Celebrity, if you chose not to be among others who are "dressed up" because you would feel uncomfortable, you can go to the buffet. Now here's the good part...it is not buffet food that you serve yourself, you are seated at a table with tableclothes and served by waiters the same food that is being offered in the dining room. This was the case everytime we cruised on Celebrity.:)

But if you choose NOT to dress up, can you still eat in the main dining room????

But if you choose NOT to dress up, can you still eat in the main dining room????

YES.

I mentioned the buffet alternative for anyone who would feel

uncomfortable around dressed up people since some said they did or would.

Never been a problem for me because I don't care what others wear. I am not that self-centered.

It seems that those who have the problem with it are those who dress up and don't like it that others don't. They are the ones who seem to claim that their meal is spoiled.

A good example is simply some of the posts on this board: "if you don't like to dress up, then don't and simply go elsewhere." To me that is being self-centered.

I will still stand by my earlier statements that formal night as people know it is going away. The cruise lines are NOT enforcing their dress codes as many have said and by doing so they are allowing the formal night tradition and dress code to fade. It also appears that other passengers who are following the dress code refuse to speak up about it WHEN it occurs and by doing so are also allowing it to happen.

So, those of you who want to keep formal nights... I suggest that the next time you are in a dining room on a formal night and there are people there who are not dressed to the code, that you speak to the maitre'd. Make sure to draw attention to the situation so that others know as well (especially the offending parties.) If you are not willing to do so, then don't complain about people not dressing up and the loss of formal nights.

Personally, I'd hate to see Formal Nights go away. There are several cruiselines that have optional formal nights and I choose not to cruise with them because I enjoy getting all "dolled up" for the evening on a cruise. I don't get any real chance to do that in "real life" so I do look forward to it on my cruise. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Well said!

For those who do not want formal nights they should cruise those lines you mentioned and allow others who want that experience to have that instead of attacking thoses who enjoy formal nights by calling them snobs.

I am like Fred R's wife. I rarely get a chance to dress up and I enjoy dressing up once or twice during my cruise.

I was being faceteous with this question because that seems to be a popular question as in, "will your dinner be runined if we are not dressed up?";)

Never been a problem for me because I don't care what others wear. I am not that self-centered.

It's not always the case of being self-centered. I don't really cared what other people wear either but if there is a suggested dress code I feel it should be followed.

The cruise lines are NOT enforcing their dress codes as many have said and by doing so they are allowing the formal night tradition and dress code to fade.

Yes, this is the problem but they do not want to get confrontational with a passenger.

If you are not willing to do so, then don't complain about people not dressing up and the loss of formal nights.

Would probably not do any good...see above.*

If things go more and more casual but some still want to go the whole way with gowns and tuxes, are some people going continue the, "look at those wannabes, just playing dress up, trying to be someone thery're not", etc.?

Plenty of barbs have been thrown both ways...there's room for everyone without anyone being rude or condescending.:)

I did see some people that were turned away from the dining room in September. I don't know if they were going back to their cabin to change or heading off to alternative dining. I've seen people turned away on Princess before as well, mainly for shorts and jeans (before even the nice ones were allowed). It really depends on the maitre d' and his staff.

If the "rules" were up to me, then yes I would eliminate formal nights. But, I'd replace it with upscale casual, every night except the first night when people may not have gotten their luggage.

I've cruised on 7 different lines over 10 years. When we first started cruising, it was beautiful to see everyone so elegant on those nights. The cruising public (it seems mostly men) don't want to wear a suit or tie on vacation and that is fine with me. But a nice sportscoat with an open shirt looks nice, paired with a companion dressed to compliment him (I didn't say match!).

We've gotten to the point where it's more of a packing issue and the formal stuff is just a little too much to take along. I prefer a nice cocktail dress, DH a sportscoat he can wear with slacks and shoes that can accomodate either casual or upscale casual. We pack lighter now, a little black dress that folds down to nothing is far easier to take along than 2 different casual night outfits, DH has his shirts laundered and he re-wears them all a couple of times.

But, it's like food and all so subjective. What we consider formal is too over the top for many, it's what we no longer pack. What we consider semi-formal is formal to a lot of people. What we consider casual is what we sometimes see on formal night on others around us. We notice, it makes no difference to us what others are wearing. I'm more concerned with myself and could not, would not wear too casual clothing into the dining room, we prefer to dress well every night of the cruise, but that is my own personal choice.

We love meeting new people and don't really care what is on their bodies. What they discuss and table manners are more our concern, we've dined with many people in too casual clothing that are interesting and fun. We've met people dressed in the nicest apparel whom we had a miserable meal, spending time with snobs is not our idea of a fun evening. If a person has horrid table manners (not using the correct fork is no problem for me, eating with a full mouth is), or comes to a meal smelly or dirty, abuses the staff or is a rude boor to others....I don't care if they are in designer duds, they are not enjoyable table mates.

I like to dress-up and on most cruises I have been on the majority have dressed formal. I don't mind if people do not dress formal but at least make an effort. On Carnival this year and I would say it was a waste of time having formal nights. I was amazed how some were walking in to the Captains cocktail party, some with jeans, shirts hanging out, sandals etc. At least if I didn't want to dress-up I would stay away from the party.

this will be my first cruise and im happy about having 2 formal nights ( im sure people that are veteran cruisers are tired of it im just guessing :D )

I feel thats one reason to get my mothers of the bride dress outa closet that i spent a lot of money on 3 yrs ago or go out find something classy and elegant to wear ( diffrent shopping spree!) and to see hubbie all dressed up ( with this busy world we all have jobs family and ect ... and we do same things over and over formal night to me is a diffrent pace for me :p If some one wears jeans and shorts on formal night i maybe be only one in a gown but hey at least i can read and know what formal means lol :cool:

Archived